Upcoming BL Stuff - 2022

2 minutes ago, fire golem said:

Fantastic. Double the stress of trying to get them. I'm happy to read more Abnett, but I'm not happy aside from that. An extra £50, an extra morning of fighting to get hold of one without paying a scalper £200+. An extra chance to miss one and make the collection pointless. 

Yep, despite my best planning I got done in this time. 

If they make 5000 copies this time around of each that would be great.

Lol what a goofy-ass cover. I guess this answers the question of "how's Abnett going to wrap all that up in ~500 pages?"

So minimum 2 more novels, a third McNeill novella at some point, and who knows what else. Weird to see it end, the Heresy feels like such a permanent fixture at this point.

19 minutes ago, System Sound said:

Like Tack of Words mentioned on Twitter. WarCom said it's a volume 1, didn't say it's 1 out of 2. So it still might be a trilogy! oh no...

I forget who the source was exactly (maybe a since deleted video of a convention appearance?) but Abnett said he was working on a novel that got expanded to a two-parter. That’s why I said it’s volume one of two. Not impossible it somehow got further expanded into a trilogy I guess.

44 minutes ago, System Sound said:

Like Tack of Words mentioned on Twitter. WarCom said it's a volume 1, didn't say it's 1 out of 2. So it still might be a trilogy! oh no...

Lets not go full Hobbit movie... :P 

I'm glad Abnett gets to write 2 books, but that's another Limited Edition I would have to buy...

I missed out on Echoes of Eternity because paypal didn't load fast enough and I haven't decided yet if I should pay a scalper or just be done with it and sell everything. Collecting these books is really not fun anymore.

The cover evokes McNeill's descriptions of the Emperor's Great Work in A Thousand Sons. All big, blocky, gargantuan and golden. Pretty cool, even if the Emperor is a bit too Xbox Hueg for me

Edited by Bobss
Off-topic

I'm honestly not feeling the cover. The scale between the Emperor and the base humans ist just totally silly. It's not even primarch-sized, he might be as tall as a thunderhawk is long.

But there you go, all the excess fat I was happy to hear wasn't in Echoes will be in the two-part final novel by Abnett. He's going to wrap up Basilio Fo, the Perpetuals, "Alpharius", Loken, Keeler, Wildcard-Valdor, all of the stuff that the Siege had to carry around without really doing anything with.

At least there'll be plenty of room to cross into Bequin, huh...

I'm quite fine with the scaling. Plays into the theme of everyone perceiving the Emperor differently, here as a literal god like being.

I'm torn on this.

On one hand it enables Dan to wrap quite a lot up - finally. And yes, he'll surely play into his latest stuff.

On the other, as it was already mentioned: at least two separate parts you have to fight over for. Smells a bit like extra squeezing the series.

But I'm more on the former and glad that it'll probably be a real end, even if split in several parts.

Unpopular opinion but I do not like the cover art. Never been a fan of Robert’s art. Very thankful they didn’t get him to do the maps. Francesca Baerald is a genius, her work on the maps has been a major highlight of the whole heresy for me. The busts and portraits have also been really lovely additions.

Really not surprised Dan has not been able to wrap it up in me book. Given that ADB has ignored the perpetual storyline and that’s Dans baby it would have been utterly impossible to tie up the military campaign and the deeper storyline in one book. We all know there will be a million loose ends anyway that we will all want completed, some of which will probably never be heard of again. I hope the novellas keep going for a while tidying up the story. Maybe a mini series for mars as well?

Don’t mind the cover but I can see why a lot of fraters wouldn’t.  

I am also okay with how they divided up the end plot lines between ADB and Abnett, leaving most of the dangling stuff for Dan to sort out.  That sort of thing really isn’t ADB’s strongpoint (unless they’re his own danglers).  I fully expect at least one more novella before this hits the website, and possibly a second between Vols 1 & 2, to rap up whatever Dan doesn’t cover.  In the long haul I expect a series of anthologies under the new HH logo similar to Cthonia’s Reckoning.  They could wrap up more loose ends there.

As for splitting Vol 8 in two?  Just be thankful it’s not now a trilogy :devil:

3 hours ago, Felix Antipodes said:

Don’t mind the cover but I can see why a lot of fraters wouldn’t.  

I am also okay with how they divided up the end plot lines between ADB and Abnett, leaving most of the dangling stuff for Dan to sort out.  That sort of thing really isn’t ADB’s strongpoint (unless they’re his own danglers).  I fully expect at least one more novella before this hits the website, and possibly a second between Vols 1 & 2, to rap up whatever Dan doesn’t cover.  In the long haul I expect a series of anthologies under the new HH logo similar to Cthonia’s Reckoning.  They could wrap up more loose ends there.

As for splitting Vol 8 in two?  Just be thankful it’s not now a trilogy :devil:

To be fair I don't think they've specified anywhere that it's only been split into 2...

I'm somewhat surprised/ disappointed that we haven't seen a Voltann related BL release as of now.

True, Genestealers didn't had one either but with certain factions and even single characters getting novelization in certain other branches of the hobby (these days at least) Voltann would've been a no-brainer, imho. 

Hopefully, they prove me wrong and have a classy surprise announcement. *fingers crossed*

Genestealers did have the Fehervari novel with Codex-cover/branding for Legends of the Dark Millennium, so that it flew under people's radar. They also had the Warmason novel following up on that. Plus, the more recent stuff had Adrian Tchaikovsky's short novel.

But then, Genestealers had the major advantage of actually existing before they received their Codex. People knew about them, what they were like, and they'd featured numerous times in other novels, most notably Cain.

Really though, Votann need some serious legwork from skilled BL authors. I see little to no appeal in them at all, especially with how all over the place their design philosophy seems to be, while also treading on other factions' terminology and iconography. They seem too ramshackle for me to care right now.

Then I misremembered. Thought that the novels came along or after their second codex. 

But yeah, although I love them and their concept, it take a way more than one codex to flesh out a new faction. Especially one which is entirely new to the setting.

1 hour ago, DarkChaplain said:

Really though, Votann need some serious legwork from skilled BL authors. I see little to no appeal in them at all, especially with how all over the place their design philosophy seems to be, while also treading on other factions' terminology and iconography. They seem too ramshackle for me to care right now.

I'm with you on this one, maybe on an even deeper level. I don't care for the Votann at all. Maybe some of that is because I only got into 40k after the first Dawn of War game, and the Squats were history by then. I guess my imprinted conceptual map of the setting just doesn't have room for the space dwarfs, and I've never felt 40k the poorer for it.

None of the previews for the Leagues of Votann have engaged me or made me think "oh, now this really enriches the setting." It just makes me think of all the incoming retcons and shoehorns.

I'm sure there are/will be Votann novels. I just can't bring myself to care right now.

32 minutes ago, Taliesin said:

@theSpirea

Do you still have listings for book 8 online? I remember a while ago you mentioned some sites had it with an Autumn release date, but not Amazon yet.

https://www.bookdepository.com/SIEGE-TERRA-8-HA-DAN-ABNETT/9781800261204

https://www.bokus.com/bok/9781800261204/siege-of-terra-8-ha/

And it's still on Amazon.de https://www.amazon.de/-/en/DAN-ABNETT/dp/1800261209/ref=sr_1_7?keywords=siege+von+terra&qid=1662113284&quartzVehicle=104-584&replacementKeywords=siege+of&sr=8-7

This is the date they receive directly from GW, they don't make it up. However, it's often just a placeholder and changes. Not all publishers notify the retailers/distributors if they decide to change the date.

Sabbathiel is going up for preorder next week, with limited, hardback and ebook, but no audio. Instead, there'll be audiobooks for Storm of Iron (f'ing finally!) and Hamilcar: Champion of the Gods.

Looks like they're finally going far enough back in the AoS audio backlog to reach where I stopped. Hopefully they'll do Black Pyramid soon, even though Josh is no longer writing for them. Always a strange thing that they left that out, and it dropped close enough to Hamilcar. Here's hoping they'll pick up the second half of the Realmgate Wars novels in audio soon, too - which they even advertised in WD back then as getting audios, just to never record them anyway.

Mortarion: The Pale King is dropping as well, hardback, ebook and audiobook.

Along with all the new kits and a tidal wave of LotR stuff, they really are firing from every cannon they got on that ship. Probably gonna pick up the first plastic kit in a long while, too: Those Gorechosen of Dromm should look nice next to my near-dozen Khorne HQs.

Looks like a very good week for most of their skirmish games in general, and there's three audiobooks I'd like to dig into sooner rather than later. Still crazy that Sabbathiel is dropping after all these delays and then it happens with simultaneous ltd/hb releases but no audio. What gives.