Upcoming BL Stuff - 2022

12 hours ago, darkhorse0607 said:

Finally Storm of Iron is getting an audiobook

Yes, I've been waiting for this one for ages!  Titanicus and Storm of Iron were both my holy grails from the backbook for an audiobook, and now they're both here!  Just keeping my fingers crossed we get one of the top narrators for it.

The Vorbis Conspiracy is up for preorder on the 17th: https://www.fnac.com/livre-numerique/a17347202/Graham-McNeill-The-Vorbis-Conspiracy#omnsearchpos=18

There’s also a crime short story week from the 26th to the 30th. Why is BL following up a crime anthology with overpriced, individual e-shorts? Because who needs logic when you have Warhammer! 

The stories are: 

Clear as Glass by Denny Flowers: https://www.fnac.com/livre-numerique/a17347610/Denny-Flowers-Clear-As-Glass#omnsearchpos=12

Slate Run by Mike Brooks: https://www.fnac.com/livre-numerique/a17347661/Mike-Brooks-Slate-Run#omnsearchpos=15

Chains by Jonathan D Beer (start of a series? It’s sub-titled ‘A Melita Voronova short story’ when all the others say ‘Warhammer crime’): https://www.fnac.com/livre-numerique/a17347661/Mike-Brooks-Slate-Run#omnsearchpos=15

Once a Killer part one and part two by Mitchel Scanlon (awesome to see him back): https://www.fnac.com/livre-numerique/a17347653/Mitchel-Scanlon-Once-a-Killer-Part-1#omnsearchpos=13

https://www.fnac.com/livre-numerique/a17347590/Mitchel-Scanlon-Once-a-Killer-Part-2#omnsearchpos=11

I still can’t see Fnac’s descriptions but they should be visible for those in other regions.

Edited by cheywood

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/09/07/commander-shadowsun-the-alpha-legion-and-the-flesh-tearers-star-in-epic-new-black-library-novels/

They just HAD to give Shadowsun to Phil Kelly. They just HAD to give her to the author who has consistently depicted her at her worst.

Excited to see Mike Brooks on Alpha Legion again. Curious to see how long the "Renegades"-branding will last. Maybe longer than Space Marine Legends, Conquests or the like?

Also finally a return of the Flesh Tearers. They've been too quiet since Devastation of Baal. Not too surprising that it's not done by Smillie, though.

Hopefully the Vorbis Conspiracy is getting an audiobook as well. Yes, it's an anthology, but it's also a different approach than usual and might as well get novel treatment.

Edited by DarkChaplain

4 minutes ago, DarkChaplain said:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/09/07/commander-shadowsun-the-alpha-legion-and-the-flesh-tearers-star-in-epic-new-black-library-novels/

They just HAD to give Shadowsun to Phil Kelly. They just HAD to give her to the author who has consistently depicted her at her worst.

Excited to see Mike Brooks on Alpha Legion again. Curious to see how long the "Renegades"-branding will last. Maybe longer than Space Marine Legends, Conquests or the like?

Also finally a return of the Flesh Tearers. They've been too quiet since Devastation of Baal. Not too surprising that it's not done by Smillie, though.

Hopefully the Vorbis Conspiracy is getting an audiobook as well. Yes, it's an anthology, but it's also a different approach than usual and might as well get novel treatment.

Well, two of those announcements are pretty cool.

Kelly, really? Surely someone else wants to write Tau. Please? Anyone?

Meh on Shadowsun, I was hoping someone else would write a Tau novel so I can finally be excited to read about them.

Harrowmaster sounds awesome. Brooks did an incredible job with Alpharius. Shame the cover looks like bad fan-art. 

I really haven’t enjoyed Forrester’s short stories, but maybe he’s better in long form.

12 minutes ago, cheywood said:

Harrowmaster sounds awesome. Brooks did an incredible job with Alpharius. Shame the cover looks like bad fan-art.

At least it's safe to say that the Alpha Legion has stopped bothering with the look-alike trend? He really must've liked his hair, at any rate.

This is a hard pass for me on all three. Not a big fan of Kelly, was hopping they would give Tau to someone new. Especially after what Rath/Crowley managed with Necrons.

Harrowmaster cover is so damn ugly. Well, it's Brooks so zero interested there.

Wrath of the Lost - maaybe if I really don't have anything else to read. Forrester is a familiar name, might have read a short story or two by him but since I can't even recall it, probably wasn't the best.

1 hour ago, Roomsky said:

Well, two of those announcements are pretty cool.

Kelly, really? Surely someone else wants to write Tau. Please? Anyone?

All the writing prompts I've always done Tau because I know I can write a better story about Tau that Kelly.

I fear what this book is going to write

Surprised a votann book hasnt been announced yet

Edited by Triszin

Is Brooks just sitting on a bunch of completed novels or is he writing as fast as Haley? 

Either way I'm excited for both AL and Flesh Tearers.

Oh, and why do they even bother mentioning Coming Soon page, when it hasn't been updated in ages. Again...

Edited by System Sound

24 minutes ago, System Sound said:

Is Brooks just sitting on a bunch of completed novels or is he writing as fast as Haley? 

Oh, and why do they even bother mentioning Coming Soon page, when it hasn't been updated in ages. Again...

Some authors burst on the BL scene and release lots of books in quick succession.  They then seem to burn out a bit and slow down, like ADB did.  Brooks is certainly in a Haley-like moment right now!

27 minutes ago, System Sound said:

The Coming Soon page is good for the odd chuckle.

Hey guys, did you know there's a special edition of The Devastation of Baal coming in July? Mark your calenders! :teehee:

I wonder if Wrath of the Lost was originally supposed to be part of the Space Marine Conquests series? And since the advent of the Leagues of Votann means that we can no longer accurately describe a discontinued line of products as having been "squatted," perhaps we should switch to saying it's been "Parrotted."

Edited by Lord Nord

3 hours ago, System Sound said:

The afterword for Warboss is dated August ‘21 so there is a decent lag between submission and publication 

I dislike how there's no explanation of the Renegades title on the Alpha Legion book. Is it the start of a trilogy, or a new series of unconnected novels etc? Logo looks like Warhammer Underworlds to me, and too chunky/blurry.

Nice to see all these new books though, especially as they're not just another Ultramarines/Inquisition title or a sequel, always good to see other factions getting more depth too. 

I'm also loving the light blue foil on that special edition, it's going to look pretty next to the first three in the Character series :)

Edited by skylerboodie

Very intrigued by Brooks taking on tr AL again. Alpharius is imho one of the best Primarch novels.

The cover...well, it's ok. Not peak quality but it's getting bonus point for not another bald AL. ;)

Given the fact that Brooks confirmed/denied all three of Alpharius' origin rumours, I'm very excited what thr teased truth might be!

Solomon being Alpharius/Omegon cause he got a look-alike Pale Spear. :D

That was a lie.

8 hours ago, DarkChaplain said:

At least it's safe to say that the Alpha Legion has stopped bothering with the look-alike trend? He really must've liked his hair, at any rate.

Maybe it is a double secret undercover move. Nobody expects the one guy who looks nothing like the rest of the Legion.

1) It's been 10,000 years. This is like noting that our elected officials don't look like Gilgamesh or Enkidu. You don't say?

2) Doesn't the Forgeworld Horus Heresy Campaign Book Extermination note that the Legion deliberately cultivated a core of distinctive individuals precisely so they could pull the look-alike shenanigans better with everybody else?

1) It's been 10,000 years. This is like noting that our elected officials don't look like Gilgamesh or Enkidu. You don't say?

Just going to point out that we're also not carrying a bunch of implants stuffed to the brim with demigod or clay genetic material that has the power to turn even the palest european into a charcoal-skinned hulk, or rearrange facial structures to look exactly like Gil.

Gene-seed matters and does weird things, and it's at the very least a curious decision to depart this far from the template, this prominently on the cover. We'll see if the book comments on it in some fashion.

I'm interested in Shadowsun's book mainly because it seems likely to expand/deepen the knowledge on the T'au's mercenary/auxiliary xenos. Have we had any info about the Charpactin for instance? Don't remember hearing about them at all.