Tyranids Datasheet Updates Spotted/9th ed Codex Rumours

Xenith

Lictors look pretty decent now with a boost to attacks and a better weapon.

I think, points dependant, zoanthropes are the stars of this codex. +1 to cast and +1 mortal per model in the unit is quite crazy. For a full 6 bug unit, smite is auto cast, on a basic smite roll of 5 on the dice, we add +6 for a super smite which then causes D6+6 mortals, on average 5 dead marines.

Actually, saying it out loud, lots of stuff can kill 5 marines no sweat, so maybe not broken at 50pts/model, but one of our stronger options for cracking hard targets.  

And the zoanthropes hive powers give a 4+ invuln to monsters and 5+ to everything else.

I think massed gants

A+ Buffs from zoan thrones (5+ invuln)

A tervigon (extra movement)

C Buffs from Tyranid prime making exploding 6's to hit on a maxed gamt squad within range.

Add the flesh borers strat to boost the weapon for a round.

Edited by Triszin

agreed zoans look great though their inv has reduced hasnt it? im not fully expectign this leaked dex to be 100% but s far based on early thoughts what i want in my list to try is

swarmlord,

neurothrope

zoans 6

termagaunts 2 x 10

gargoyles 2 x 10

parisite

biovores 3

tyrannofex

edit- sits at around 1215... not to shabby

(also is it just me or are biovores way better?)  gonna roughly tot that up to see where im at and what i need but think it should cover.

Edited by Brother nathan

agreed zoans look great though their inv has reduced hasnt it?

Didn't notice their statlines, but accordig to rumour, they lose the 3++ for a 4++, but they've gained +1 T and W, so they're S5T5W4 now, which will help against the small arms fire they were weake against before, and neurothrope regeneration can heal more than 1 wound. 

Lictors look pretty decent now with a boost to attacks and a better weapon.

I think, points dependant, zoanthropes are the stars of this codex. +1 to cast and +1 mortal per model in the unit is quite crazy. For a full 6 bug unit, smite is auto cast, on a basic smite roll of 5 on the dice, we add +6 for a super smite which then causes D6+6 mortals, on average 5 dead marines.

Actually, saying it out loud, lots of stuff can kill 5 marines no sweat, so maybe not broken at 50pts/model, but one of our stronger options for cracking hard targets.

The MW bonus caps at +3 from what I've seen. That's still a very likely super-smite averaging 6-7 wounds, which isn't as good but fits nicely into the 'nids ability to kick MW's out all over the place.

What's crazy is that they [the Hive Fleet adaptations] all look good to me! I dont think that's ever happened really. I can see uses for them all, and there are none bad. Kronos perhaps forces you into an anti-psyker build that might not be useful against some opponents, but that's realy just the warlord trait and strat - you can always just not use them. 

My brief take on the hive fleets is more whats going to be the best benifit to the army you actually want to play. One really boosts shooting. Another increases charges likelyhoods... probably need to figure what units you really love and go from that. Iv still no idea at all.lol

Edit. The ability to change the adaptive after deployment could ve huge esp in tourneys when you can edit somethibg to the army you are specifically facing. Me likey

Edited by Brother nathan

Agreed. Whilst it always makes sense to "lean into" what your army does well (e.g. melee units for blood angels, shooting units for T'au), it seems that in 9th there is even more incentive to go "all in" and build a very focused list, as it seems that very focused lists where every unit is maximising chapter/hive fleet/forge world benefits are the only ones that can compete. Lists that "lean into" the strengths of an army but not entirely so as to keep some flexibility seem to do less well, or at least, that is my perception.

So, for Gorgon for example, I think it lends itself into really leaning into masses of low strength cheap melee and firepower units to make the most out of the wounding always on 4+ to wounds, with maybe only a handful of bigger units to handle vehicles and titanic units.

Agreed. Whilst it always makes sense to "lean into" what your army does well (e.g. melee units for blood angels, shooting units for T'au), it seems that in 9th there is even more incentive to go "all in" and build a very focused list, as it seems that very focused lists where every unit is maximising chapter/hive fleet/forge world benefits are the only ones that can compete. Lists that "lean into" the strengths of an army but not entirely so as to keep some flexibility seem to do less well, or at least, that is my perception.

So, for Gorgon for example, I think it lends itself into really leaning into masses of low strength cheap melee and firepower units to make the most out of the wounding always on 4+ to wounds, with maybe only a handful of bigger units to handle vehicles and titanic units.

Gaunt spam it is then

So, for Gorgon for example, I think it lends itself into really leaning into masses of low strength cheap melee and firepower units to make the most out of the wounding always on 4+ to wounds, 

Dare I say...choose the Fleshborer Hive?

I didn't realise gorgon's ability was for shooting also, I think previously it was melee only? That's amazing, offset a bit by the fact stuff like fleshborers went up to S5, but stuff like a flat +1 to wound vs custodes in combat is great. 

Anyone else seeing any decent/strong combos? I'm still looking at Hydra for the +1 move. Combined with adrenals, it's Hormagaunts on roller skates time. 

Otherwise, Leviathan with Trans-Nid (would rolls of 1-3 fail on monsters, 1-2 fail on everything esle) just looks like a solid defensive boost. Stuff like railguns are now missing 50% of the time and failing to wound tyrants 50% of the time, and S6 multishot weapons like burst cannons and scatter lasers go from a 2+ to wound to a 3+. 

Weirdly...oddly...incredibly...Venomthropes may also have a look in. Going to S5, T5, W4 A5 and always wounding on a 2+, in addition to their -1 to hit (no longer tied to unit size) and potential fight last on enemy units...they look good at ~100pts for 3. Stick the adaptive trait on them that lets *any* unit heroically intervene, and nobody will want to charge a unit near to your venomthropes. 

Weirdly...oddly...incredibly...Venomthropes may also have a look in. Going to S5, T5, W4 A5 and always wounding on a 2+, in addition to their -1 to hit (no longer tied to unit size) and potential fight last on enemy units...they look good at ~100pts for 3. Stick the adaptive trait on them that lets *any* unit heroically intervene, and nobody will want to charge a unit near to your venomthropes.

I noticed this about the venomthropes. Their -1 applying to our monsters even if there's only a single model left is just so gosh darn nice. I'm glad that I don't have to go buy another box of them just so I can have a couple more for that effect to hang around a little longer for the big gribblies. Honestly I think this change is the one I'm most excited about with these rumours.

I'm very confused about the points costs for things like crushing claws, where the points cost is listed for +5, but the wording implies that's per claw, thus suggesting it's actually +10 per pair. Unless I'm being stupid of course...

Anyway, I put together a list using the leaked 'dex, mostly consisting of models I already have. Mostly as an excuse to run a pair of drastically different (and heavily converted) Hive Tyrants.

Yeah, it's a one-per-detachment deal, which is mildly annoying but oh well.

Pretty par for the course at this point though isn't it? Tau commanders, ork warbosses and a couple other armies have similar rules at this stage.

Edited by The_Chaplain

to be fair with the reshuffle of units round the codex nd the various options all looking decent i dont think not haing 2 tyrants really bothers me bar having to pick between swarmlord r walkrant wih relic venomcanon. the other options can all probably pull their weight well enough. like i dont ive looked at any nits rules and thought id never choose to try that which i have in the previous dex. its really trying to see how much of the fun stuff i can fit in...