SoT book 7: Echoes of Eternity - Aaron Dembski-Bowden

Ubiquitous1984

Spoiler

Ok so yes Sanguinius fights Angron and it IS glorious.  Vulkan plays a important role in one of the secondary plots. No but it ends with his msg that he is 2 days away from Sol and 7 from terra being intercepted by the traitor fleet.  No idea on the fights sorry, 5-6? Zephon fall back into the Sanctum with the Angel ( My boy land too). 

19 minutes ago, Nagashsnee said:
  Hide contents

Ok so yes Sanguinius fights Angron and it IS glorious.  Vulkan plays a important role in one of the secondary plots. No but it ends with his msg that he is 2 days away from Sol and 7 from terra being intercepted by the traitor fleet.  No idea on the fights sorry, 5-6? Zephon fall back into the Sanctum with the Angel ( My boy land too). 

Spoiler

Thank you for your answer. Can I ask you some more questions?

1. Does Magnus appear in the story, too? Does he get involved with Vulkan? Or don't he fight Vulkan any more?

2. How does Zephon resurrect? Does Land resurrect him?

3. What happened to Khan?

4. Does Abaddon and Loken appear in the story? Do they see each other?

5. Does Sigismund show a heroic figure again this time as emperor's champion? 

Once again, I really appreciate you.

Edited by hjkl8071

11 minutes ago, SkimaskMohawk said:

Thanks for the spoilers; they build the hype without ruining anything imo.

I'll be honest and say I'm most interested in how you got the book a week early lol.

I simple ventured where only Angels dared to trend :) . But for real after waiting for a book like this for YEARS i would not be denied.  Had cleared the majority of my weekend to read it. Then re read the juicy parts. 

Spoiler

Magnus is here and has some truly great/juicy scenes.  Land has already put some DAOT tech in him and indeed helps him more here. Khan? White scar primarch? Nothing in this book. Khârn? Mad lad of the world eaters? Makes a sinister cameo.  Abaddon does mostly in flashbacks, Loken not at all. Sigismund had his book, he is spoken of in apropriate tones here but his battles are with his father in the Bhad Bastion which doesnt feature in the book much, This is legion wise very much a BA book. 

Edited by Nagashsnee

10 minutes ago, Nagashsnee said:

I simple ventured where only Angels dared to trend :) . But for real after waiting for a book like this for YEARS i would not be denied.  Had cleared the majority of my weekend to read it. Then re read the juicy parts. 

Hide contents

Magnus is here and has some truly great/juicy scenes.  Land has already put some DAOT tech in him and indeed helps him more here. Khan? White scar primarch? Nothing in this book. Khârn? Mad lad of the world eaters? Makes a sinister cameo.  Abaddon does mostly in flashbacks, Loken not at all. Sigismund had his book, he is spoken of in apropriate tones here but his battles are with his father in the Bhad Bastion which doesnt feature in the book much, This is legion wise very much a BA book. 

Ohh really Thank you. I'll really ask the last question.

1. Does Jaya D'Arcus and Sagittarus Malacque appear? Did they see Zephon and Land again?

2. Do Death guards appear?

I thank you from the bottom of my heart.

4 minutes ago, Nagashsnee said:
  Hide contents

Every traitor legion appears, death guard are mentioned here and there, nothing major tho, If Jaya D'Arcus and Sagittarus Malacque a appear its for such a small role i dont remember them .

Okay. All my questions have been resolved. Thank you very much. 

This is probably the most streamlined Siege book since The Solar War. I'm genuinely surprised how much ADB chose not to include

i.e.

No Perpetuals. No Sindermann and Keeler. No Loken. No Cyrene. Just Blood Angels fighting World Eaters. I genuinely wonder if, during the Siege meetings, ADB made it clear he wanted to write a traditional-ish account of the Siege. It's honestly refreshing. I do think the book is a bit too long though considering what it covers

33 minutes ago, Roomsky said:

About a third of the way in. My present thoughts:

large.brilly.png.f94a1293b6e20dcccb531cd887749e7b.png

Also the introductory chapter for the Skitarius is just casually the best piece of Skitarius writing yet published.

I'm about the same way. And I have to agree wholeheartedly. The first chapter alone was chefs kiss.

This book is amazing man.

One of the best of the 30k era.

It not only reignited my love for the Blood Angels, but it handle so many of my pet peeves with some of the lore community (which tbf is mostly on reddit with these stances).

Spoiler

First of all. The book not going overboard with other stories, it focused on the Blood Angels with a bit of Vulkan and Magnus. That was smart, it made a book for Blood Angel fans to savor it, gave us finally some goddamn decent background for what they were like before Sanguinius and with their meeting.

Second, Arkhan Land is in it. Guy is a fun character, and its awesome to see him again, specially with how human you can tell he is. His companions in the story worked really well.

Third, Sanguinius is so well written here man. He feels inspiring, and he is badass. He fights titans, Kabandha and Angron, and you feel that he wins because he deserves those wins.

Fourth, the book is a win for me just for what happens when Sanguinius beats Angron.

Fifth, Zephon and Amit are both great ways to express the Blood Angels as a Legion, and more importantly, their future chapters. I feel they might have retconned them a bit, as Zephon was described as a Sanguinary Guard before, but the writers realized that meant he was going to die anyway in the Vengeful Spirit with Sanguinius. Now he is set to become the Chapter Master of the Charnal Guard (which I believe was Allan Bligh chapter).

Six - When Vulkan and Magnus meets it deals very clearly with "I did nothing wrong meme", that turned into a strange view within the Reddit communities, taking it way too seriously. The whole conversation felt like the author really trying to explain "dude, its funny, but the meme is not right". I love Magnus because he can make mistakes and he too blind to his errors, not because he was 100% doing the right thing.

Seven - the fate of Lotara Sarrin is very interesting.

All in all the book really closes some really cool story points that ADB wrote in the Heresy for a while - Zephon, Land, Lotara, Angron and a bit of Khârn.

Pleasantly surprised to hear that Ka'Bandha actually shows up, and that there are no Perpetuals in sight at all.

As somebody who has felt really meh on the Siege in terms of format & scope, the macro-view as you will, with very little personal, character-driven "micro" stories that weren't directly linked to setpiece battles, I'm just glad to heart his is a focused novel with little of the fat that has weighed the series down for the past 6 books.

Makes me wish they had done more books this way, and instead added Tallarn-style interludes charting the macro-view of the Siege, letting us zoom in for longer intervals/chapters while keeping the constant reminders of the vast scope of the war, explained time and again throughout the narratives of each novel, to the interludes, maybe with a more "detached", observer-level narration, rather than full-on novel prose.

As it stands, the books so far have been straddling micro and macro in a way that rarely worked for me. I found parts that I really enjoyed (including the train ride in The First Wall), but the overall pacing, scale and ping-ponging from setpiece to setpiece has turned me off from being excited like in the beginning.

3 hours ago, SkimaskMohawk said:

Please pm me a link to wherever you bought your week early versions lol

If you get that link shoot it my way please hahah. I stupidly scooped a BL copy and realized afterwards I now have an ebook on preorder. 

Spoiler

Something that poped into my head this morning, we never really see or hear anything about the Sanguinary Guard. And while i will forever be greatfull we did not get another 'my lord we cant risk you!'  ' fear not Ral/Az i do not die  this day!' scene. Their absence is kinda weird. Or maybe i just missed them/ don't remember them?  

The other thing that stood out to me, is how well Ignatum was portrayed in this book, even tho they got minimal page/screen time.  The scene where the dying Ignatum warlord uses his last seconds to not only fall on the avenue but close/vent his reactor so the traitors cant just blow him up, literally using his own cold dead corpse  as one more layer of wall/defense really got to me. More then any scene in Mortis did.  Every mention of Ignantum in this book paints a picture of a Legion that knows its dead but just doesnt care. They are with their backs to literal walls but as far as they care they ARE the walls between their Omnissiah and Chaos and they dont hesitate for one second. 

I have preordered it on my kindle but am desperate to read it ASAP. Any advice for getting the book on it before the 3rd of sept? I'm not very au fait with the Kindle but it seems I can only get books on Amazon and Amazon are keeping to BLs release date.

None of the book shops near me have it yet.

Edited by grailkeeper