Initial 1st April 2022 reveal, new lore & articles discussion

Joe

This guy looks like another sign of design change from GW.

I'm loving the way GW is expanding the 40k 'setting', when they focussed on expanded the 'story' to include the noobs I nearly left the hobby for good because it didn't feel very 40k anymore.

But with Necromunda and Kill Team giving us the underhive warfare and Ash waste settings along with a range of variety in the normal Imperial/Xenos ruins settings things are looking grand.

One can only hope these little guys bring us a warfare in the void type focus. Be it terrain or rules or both.

Expanding the setting is absolutely fabulous, kudos to our evil overlords in Nottingham.

I'm loving the way GW is expanding the 40k 'setting', when they focussed on expanded the 'story' to include the noobs I nearly left the hobby for good because it didn't feel very 40k anymore.

But with Necromunda and Kill Team giving us the underhive warfare and Ash waste settings along with a range of variety in the normal Imperial/Xenos ruins settings things are looking grand.

One can only hope these little guys bring us a warfare in the void type focus. Be it terrain or rules or both.

Expanding the setting is absolutely fabulous, kudos to our evil overlords in Nottingham.

Nice shift from Jes Goodwin's "I don't like em, so they aren't in 40k" to the bean counters' "hey, our customers really want to pay us for this stuff!"

Nice shift from Jes Goodwin's "I don't like em, so they aren't in 40k" to the bean counters' "hey, our customers really want to pay us for this stuff!"

Which is something I didn't understand in GW approach. People have been asking for Sisters and Squats for years, you do what the clients wants.

People asks for World Eaters and Emperor's Children codex and I wonder why they are not out already

I thought the challenge was the old CEO?   Refused to allow for admech or custodes to be made?

I hope the Land Trains will still be a thing, even if at first they'd only release the front end "locomotive" as their Lord of War option, before expanding it out numerous middle car options/modules to drag behind it, maybe even a "caboose" to cap off a train with.

From what I understand there will be the land train engine with weapons, and flat beds you can put the containers they already make on, and they can take pintal mounted weapons like storm bolters or stubbers.

So many “never thought I’d see” moments in the past few years. GSC, new black Templars range, and now this. World Eaters too, soon enough. Crazy.

I can't help but think of the memes posted 2-3 years ago on Reddit places like /Grimdank, you know the ones comparing AoS releases to 40k releases and lamenting the mundane nature of the latter.

Feels like GW took it to heart.

Ahem, called them getting a whole new image ;) 

A few revamp projects were blocked by notable figures in the company essentially saying over my dead body. I dont really think that included squats though, just nobody had any enthusiasm for them to ever do it. These days nostalgia dollar is stronk though :D 

@Spessmarine,

It does a wee bit, let's hope they can hold to this focus for a few more years.

@Nos,

Nostalgia has always been stronk (whatever that means lol), even when this game was brand new it dragged people in with faux equivalents to older lore and RL histories.

Linking this divergence back to the topic ;) ... man I hope we get some space hulk ruins as terrain and some Kill Team expansion rules to really exploit these new/nostalgic void warriors.

Edited by Interrogator Stobz

Anyone else note the 'Nid claw floating in the 'panning through the hull' scene?

Calling the next Kill Team box as Tyranids/GSC (given the Captain-stabbed-in-his-throne) versus Squats.

There was a rumour dump that said a new Genestealer kit was in the works but would drop after the Nids dex in a Kill Team box, so Squats v Genestealers could be a real possibility.

I want to like them, but I was hoping for something along the lines of metal-biker-space dwarves; ideally a middle ground between the two existing squat models. Instead they've gone for a cleaner more modern aesthetic, they don't look bad it's just not unique enough to grab my interest. They look like they belong to a functioning civilisation rather than the weathered survivors of an alien apocalypse I was imagining. I'm still hopeful the rest of the line can entice me though. 

Do we really need another faction I at least would of preferred another interesting xenos army instead of just dwarves in space

Wonder how they crowbar them into the setting lorewise and I really hope they don't play as a space marine style force

Being small heavily armored squads with high powered weapons no doubt woth the usual highly unique-1D

Their line Infantry also should only be 1W otherwise what's the point of marines

Do we really need another faction I at least would of preferred another interesting xenos army instead of just dwarves in space

Wonder how they crowbar them into the setting lorewise and I really hope they don't play as a space marine style force

Being small heavily armored squads with high powered weapons no doubt woth the usual highly unique-1D

Their line Infantry also should only be 1W otherwise what's the point of marines

The negativity here is actually kind of funny. Not even trying to be mean. Legitimately got a chuckle from this one.

Anyway, if they follow the trend of every other codex in 9th, Squats will certainly be very strong on release. They will probably even have stuff that makes people annoyed. Such is the way of 40k 9th edition.

Hey Brother, I too am a huge eye roller when it comes to GeeDub's less than subtle 'crowbar'-ing of introducing stuff into the fluff.

For many years now the 40k setting has gotten smaller and smaller, probably due to a combination of the HH books explaining everything and the new rift fluff making it seem like humans have visited literally everywhere in the galaxy.

Now this expansion of the setting that's been happening helps remind us about how really really damned big the galaxy is and that these guys could have been happily doing their thing for millennia without note.

They will not be missed. ;)

Edited by Interrogator Stobz

Bring on the Living Ancestors and then give me a Crusade path so that a lowly rank-and-file grunt can grow into one.

Also LOVE that this article references Ash Wastes. You know, I always thought it weird that BSF and KT branded releases get 40k support but Necromunda doesn't. I feel like Ash Wastes Squat Cross-overs have the potential to break that barrier. I'm pretty sure that we'll get plastic squats and/ or bikes/ trikes for Ash Wastes with cross-over implications for 40k.

I'll be looking forward to the Background building leading up to the release. I wonder about allies and relations with other factions. The article mentions an "uneasy relationship" with the Imperium, and I want to know what that means. Will they have an Imperium keyword? A special rule? 

There are so many unanswered questions.

I see what you mean, but otoh I actually think much of the charm of Necromunda is that it's a slice of life in the 41st millennium that isn't directly translatable to a 40K army, but is more about "regular" scum and lowlifes and how they try to carve out a life in the weird universe of 40K, rather than actual military operations. The more Necromunda becomes 40K compatible, the greater the risk of it losing its own identity. At least to my mind.

Edited by Antarius

I HOPE That the range is both a homage to the originals and a worthy update. What I mean by This is an update to the tech ie the armour and weapons and overall appearance to show their progression from imperial tech as the squats of old were basically bolters and the standard heavy weapons. AI aside, I hope they do stick to the roots of the original squats organisation with the guilds / brotherhoods and that we have updates to the guild bikers (jetbikes perhaps) grand battery’s, exo armour and crawlers / Airships / gyrocopters. An emphasis on tunnellers would also be thematic and fairly unique as outside of the fw termite there isn’t one in 40K. Very exciting.