Initial 1st April 2022 reveal, new lore & articles discussion

Joe

Have to wait & see more of course, but initial gut reaction is pretty meh. Tau already take up the "reason, science, techy" niche, and we're starting to get an awful lot of Golden/Dark Age tech floating around the galaxy for a supposedly backward and regressed future, a whole faction of little Van Saar potentially with Men of Iron stoatin' about the place could take it overboard real quick.

It is a callback to Squats having maintained better tech during the Age of Strife. That was their depiction before they got Squatted.

What do you think their angle will be? If they integrate the Tyranids attacking their homeworlds into the background officially they could have a partially nomadic existence. It would be interesting to have fleets of them travelling around acting as salvagers and shipbreakers. They could dismantle starships and actually be able to use a lot of the archaeotech than still makes the adepts of Mars scratch their heads.

I think there is a reason that their are unveiled in a trailer to be boarding an Imperial ship. Everything in the teasers will most likely be deliberate so I'm curious what they have in store for them.

What do you think their angle will be? If they integrate the Tyranids attacking their homeworlds into the background officially they could have a partially nomadic existence. It would be interesting to have fleets of them travelling around acting as salvagers and shipbreakers. They could dismantle starships and actually be able to use a lot of the archaeotech than still makes the adepts of Mars scratch their heads.

I think there is a reason that their are unveiled in a trailer to be boarding an Imperial ship. Everything in the teasers will most likely be deliberate so I'm curious what they have in store for them.

This could also be used to make them not too confined to a specific location, like the T'au, and thus make the writers able to incorporate them into events easier.

Yes? I think you misunderstand, I’d prefer the Demiurg to be true aliens, instead of the possibility of “They were Squats all along”. The Votann are obviously abhumans

Oh, my bad.

But what do you mean by linking the Leagues to T'au Demiurg allies then if one are Xenos and the others aren't?

There has been a theory that the Demiurg were actually squats, given both of their similarity to the classic Dwarf stereotypes. The Demiurg were pretty much a BFG exclusive race, and we have never seen official art of the Demiurg.

Yes? I think you misunderstand, I’d prefer the Demiurg to be true aliens, instead of the possibility of “They were Squats all along”. The Votann are obviously abhumans

Oh, my bad.

But what do you mean by linking the Leagues to T'au Demiurg allies then if one are Xenos and the others aren't?

There has been a theory that the Demiurg were actually squats, given both of their similarity to the classic Dwarf stereotypes. The Demiurg were pretty much a BFG exclusive race, and we have never seen official art of the Demiurg.

Ok, I think I get it now. Sorry for being obtuse.

I think we are looking at a thunderer here. I expect some overlap with imperial stuff. The artwork sarge clearly using powerfist and plasma pistol. The scheme reminds me most of the Ironman from BSF so I'm kinda hoping that's what the EXTREMELY heretical means. Can't wait to see the exo armour and if they'll do the Grendl Grendlsen line troops as well 

How many more unique shooting mechanics can they have to justify a new army faction? Between Ad Mech, Tau, Imperial guard, etc

On the flip side, who said they need unique shooting? All GW said is their weapons are reliable.

So, plasma weapons that do not overheat and stuff like that. There have also been hints elsewhere of Squats having gravity-based weaponry.

The big question is, what happens to the Clock now?

I cast thee down...

Well they had Space Slann back in 1st edition, they could bring those back like they did the Zoat. 

Exciting to see, after years of people lamenting their passing we finally get confirmation of the return of the Squats.

I have some little niggles of course, like why aren't GW cleaning their house before adding new tenants to it? There are things that need fixing and lines that need expanding and updating still.

However, I can safely say that squats do need to return! And with their return we have a good chance of Arbites coming which I think covers just about everything missing since 2nd edition?

Oh, I'm not calling them this new name. They can be Leagues of Voltron or Squats.

Am I imagining things or do the runes on his right shoulder look a bit like they say 'TAU'?

CNiuMZPWWNpatQNt.jpg

They look like runes. Middle is straight-up the Rune Haglaz (meaning "hail", as in the precipitation), specifically the variant hægil (or hægl) from the Futhorc (Anglo-Saxon runes), but reversed.

The first one looks like it could be either a modified(Algiz) or (Tiwaz).

Edited by Gederas

i fail to see what space dwarves can bring to the table in terms of the lore adn setting beyond "space dwarves! space dwarves!"

I feel like i've seen the entire range before I've seen a single model

A separate strand of humanity from the Imperium is a fantastic strand to explore in terms of narrative. A practical approach to engineering, ancestor worship, complex guild structures and a strained but not entirely antagonistic relationship with Terra are all great concepts that enrich and deepen the setting. While they can easily be exaggerated for comic effect, I don’t think any of these are inherently silly ideas.

Separately, of course, squats used to be presented as having a relatively reasonable approach to things. It was much easier to sympathise and empathise with them than the Imperial factions, which were a literal death cult.

Whether all (or indeed any) of those survive in a modern relaunch of the space dwarf concept is questionable, but given the passion and attention to the threads laid down in 1st edition given by the GW team to other forces, like Genestealer Cults and Harlequins, I think it’s not beyond the bounds of possibility.

I think the Necromunda squats look great; I’m excited at the prospect of more.

That's fair but as with many factions in this game the meme-ing is going to annoy me lol

Some acquaintances of mine play that deep rock galactic game and I dread prospect of me having to hear "rock and stone!" more than I already do.

I doubt I'll like them, but  In regards to their incorporation I hope that they are emphasized as being a distinctly small (heh) presence, I do not want them retconned as being a prominent faction that the imperium has had to deal with continuously. It would be stupid if they were a significant player in any capacity.

Did I hear a rock and stone?!

ROCK AND STONE!