[HH] Kratos Heavy Assault Tank

I think the Kratos is the most exciting thing about these releases.

For a long time, I have often hoped that a powerful, plastic, Lord of War style unit for Astartes would be released, and even though I would have preferred a gigantic Dreadnought of some kind, I won't turn away from an impressive looking Tank like this.

I don't know if I have the energy or drive to actually partake in a separate gaming system anymore, especially one that will cost as much as this one, and comes with the requirement to paint dozens of new models.

It remains to be seen if these new units will be included in the next 40k Astartes codex. I am happy to wait until then to make a decision. But I also stand by what I've said since the start: These units will potentially be better served if they remain exclusive, and focused around the 30k game. I just don't know if that game will be for me.

Wow, there are some awesome painted marines in that video. The pre Heresy TS look splendid!

Agreed, they look very nice!

+1 I still wasn't super sold on the beakies, but with the SoH helmets upgrades from forgeworld these look amazing. 

On the Kratos I'm turning around on it, the initial top down shots in the promo pictures didn't do much for me but the 360 and other views make me really like the model.

I think the Kratos is the most exciting thing about these releases.

For a long time, I have often hoped that a powerful, plastic, Lord of War style unit for Astartes would be released, and even though I would have preferred a gigantic Dreadnought of some kind, I won't turn away from an impressive looking Tank like this.

I don't know if I have the energy or drive to actually partake in a separate gaming system anymore, especially one that will cost as much as this one, and comes with the requirement to paint dozens of new models.

It remains to be seen if these new units will be included in the next 40k Astartes codex. I am happy to wait until then to make a decision. But I also stand by what I've said since the start: These units will potentially be better served if they remain exclusive, and focused around the 30k game. I just don't know if that game will be for me.

I hope GW does offer some 40k functionality. Like you say it's an expensive hobby and it would be nice to be able to play two systems with the same models.

Have to say I prefer the look of the Sicaran to the Kratos, but it's not bad at all!

Edited by Brother Kraskor

Better served in what way? If a 30k unit gets 40k rules, people who like the unit can use it, and those who don’t can skip it in their army lists. Not sure I understand, unless someone prefers that other people shouldn’t be able to use it. Edited by Khornestar

Thanks for the vid! Remarkably few Alpha Legion models than I would have expected. It's great to see that painting studios got sets in advance to show off. Makes sense for GW - That's hundreds of free hours of painting from proffessionals for the cost of a few palstic sprues...

Better served in what way? If a 30k unit gets 40k rules, people who like the unit can use it, and those who don’t can skip it in their army lists. Not sure I understand, unless someone prefers that other people shouldn’t be able to use it.

I simply mean that having units exclusively built around the Horus Heresy, with that game in mind in terms of how they work, simultaneously acting as an incentive for that game, would ultimately be better for it.

But trust me when I say, I would personally prefer if this model DOES get 40k support, as I don't have the energy or time to invest into a massive Heresy project.

I just don't want to see this unit get tossed aside into the Forgeworld index and subsequently forgotten, with rules that are not compelling or a cost that is too high, as many FW units are simply never seen on the tabletop, and are often times not allowed in certain events.

If it makes it's way into 40k, I want it to appear as an Astartes Lord of War slot in the next codex. Fully supported and included in the army.

Edited by Orange Knight

For some reasons, I prefer Kratos when envisioned as a chibi Fellblade rather than a sicaran on steroids (if it makes sense in English).

My main concern are those nipple HB/HS andthe height they add to the tank. They should have used a turret similar to the Fellblade or Repulsor next to the driver. 

I would have given a less cartoonish feeling, similar to the Fellblade.

For some reasons, I prefer Kratos when envisioned as a chibi Fellblade rather than a sicaran on steroids (if it makes sense in English).

Funnily enough the first thing I thought of when I saw the reveal was the Machairus, which is sort of a ‘chibi Baneblade’.

Edited by Master Commander Ajax

I'm wondering how possible it's going to be to magnetise the sponsons, either as a whole unit so if you build Lascannon for your Kratos and Bolters for your Sicaran you can swap, assuming those mouts are too fiddly to want to magnetise the guns within them.

Its a chunky beast!

Whats everyone's thoughts on the main weapon then? Kratos battlecannon looks a decent choice? 

How is there a choice when choom is on the menu?! lol

Your point is valid and well made. :biggrin.:

Thank you kindly :D

I hope they stop releasing more choom as it's becoming a mass distraction. Battlefield effective? Unsure, not bothered. Looks great!

I'm wondering how possible it's going to be to magnetise the sponsons, either as a whole unit so if you build Lascannon for your Kratos and Bolters for your Sicaran you can swap, assuming those mouts are too fiddly to want to magnetise the guns within them.

What leaks I have seen of the spartan, the sponson look like it has a tab/slot combo (ala Leman Russ turret and the like). I think the assumption is that magnetization will work too but I think the slot/tab method will be able to handle swapping only the mount, not the actual weapons.

The actual weapons looked like they have a sort of plastic pin for swiveling which would likely require a bit of planning to magnetize. Again, speculation since it was only the spartan I saw but that's my guess.

Its a chunky beast!

Whats everyone's thoughts on the main weapon then? Kratos battlecannon looks a decent choice?

How is there a choice when choom is on the menu?! lol

Your point is valid and well made. :biggrin.:

Thank you kindly :D

I hope they stop releasing more choom as it's becoming a mass distraction. Battlefield effective? Unsure, not bothered. Looks great!

Deathrays are just cool

• 2 weeks later...