[HH] Kratos Heavy Assault Tank

My head canon is that it uses Swedish style suspension changes to get additional depression on the main gun. Obviously the mechanicus don't plan it to go hull down because otherwise you couldn't fire the hull and sponson guns!

Just be glad the tank commander doesn't come wielding a sword.

My head canon is that it uses Swedish style suspension changes to get additional depression on the main gun. Obviously the mechanicus don't plan it to go hull down because otherwise you couldn't fire the hull and sponson guns!

I'm sad the tank commander doesn't have a sword...:sad.:

Just because the tank has little to no gun depression on it's main cannon doesn't make it bad.

Being physically unable to fire from a hull-down position, from a cresting position, or even engage targets direct front below some range due to combination of how high the weapon is mounted and how small the depression angle is - that's a lemon, not a tank.

It's a cool ass looking tank and rule of cool may trump realistic design - but in an RL tank, those are hard failures.

[ EDIT: Sorry, didn't want to necro a closed off topic ]

You'd be surprised

Slightly OT - who decided volkites go "choom"? I mean, we all know it was TSOALR that made lascannons "FREEM" but I've always wondered where CHOOM came from.

We did, literally, and ADB made it cannon. Just go searching through the Martian Death Ray Club thread in AoD.

Slightly OT - who decided volkites go "choom"? I mean, we all know it was TSOALR that made lascannons "FREEM" but I've always wondered where CHOOM came from.

We did, literally, and ADB made it cannon. Just go searching through the Martian Death Ray Club thread in AoD.

You mean the community arbitrarily chose that as the sound effect? AND GW RAN WITH IT!?

EDIT: I am struggling to find the OG suggestion of "choom".

Also: where did ADB make it canon?

Edited by roryokane

You mean the community arbitrarily chose that as the sound effect? AND GW RAN WITH IT!?

EDIT: I am struggling to find the OG suggestion of "choom".

Also: where did ADB make it canon?

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/361109-the-origin-of-%E2%80%9Cchoom%E2%80%9D/

Anyways, back to the Kratos.

That's easy enough to fix.

It's a decent enough tank. Has some design issues I don't really understand, but I think it's manageable overall. I'll probably get the "obligatory" pair since apparently they can be in squadrons of 2.

If you think about it in the context of 30k it makes perfect sense. Lascannons perfectly placed to deal with crappy little tanks are more than enough for the task and that big gun where is it perfectly placed? Right where it needs to be to engage heavy, super heavy tanks, knights and titans and all the other walking robots and wierd alien contraptions. Death rays don't need a direct hit it's a giant microwave gun it will fry you anyway, Battle cannon needs to engage infantry? Easy, airbursting shells. The myriad of tanks in the legion arsenal this one says to me my job is to punch the biggest guy in the room, How many dedicated hull mounted tank hunters are there for taking care of things of a normal hieght? It's a low budget super heavy. 

Oh a Blood Angels Kratos will be happening... it's just with the existing backlog, plus the spartan coming in the box, then probably the Sicaran being released before I get to the Kratos and being something I've wanted for a while.... Is anyone else looking at the Kratos and wondering how they'll get to it before 2024 or is that just me?

Is anyone else looking at the Kratos and wondering how they'll get to it before 2024 or is that just me?

For sure, my to-do pile is already pretty substantial and the Age of Darkness box is only going to make it worse! Much as I love the Kratos I can't see myself putting paint on one for 18 months at least. At least that knowledge saves me some money this weekend!

Is anyone else looking at the Kratos and wondering how they'll get to it before 2024 or is that just me?

I pushed back two projects so I could do Horus Heresy!

Pretty similar here too. Since I know the troops I want are not available in plastic yet, I'll concentrate on building the Spartan and Kratos first while I wait for breachers etc. Normally I'd start on rank and file but in this case I want to limit them and focus the big stuff which I neglected before.