The Hekatonystika: Ist Legion Tactica

Slips

7 hours ago, MichaelCarmine said:

As far as i know, Dreadclaws are designed for boarding actions in a vacuum, where its "claws" grap into the hull of a spacecraft/station and the Iris on it's bottom punches/burns itself inside, where it ankers itself in, so the troops can disembark and wreak havoc.

That brings up a seperate issue, though- Unless you land on the top deck of a ship, you're going to have some serious issues as far as passenger alignment vs the artificial gravity. Somebody's getting dropped to the ground when their harness goes up, and nobody's in position to hit the ground running. And emperor help you if you try to board from the bottom. I guess you could have the passengers in some sort of gyro compartment that rotates to align with gravity sort of like the Slave I does in Star Wars, but that's clearly a drop pod in the dreadclaw, so there's no way there's room for such a thing.

1 hour ago, Squark said:

That brings up a seperate issue, though- Unless you land on the top deck of a ship, you're going to have some serious issues as far as passenger alignment vs the artificial gravity. Somebody's getting dropped to the ground when their harness goes up, and nobody's in position to hit the ground running. And emperor help you if you try to board from the bottom. I guess you could have the passengers in some sort of gyro compartment that rotates to align with gravity sort of like the Slave I does in Star Wars, but that's clearly a drop pod in the dreadclaw, so there's no way there's room for such a thing.

More or less whats implied in the Phall Diorama board FW had made a couple years back around Exterminations release:

gd13-diorama-if-ih.jpg

c213c56373d42b1423afeb78b013206c.jpg

Because GW's proofreading is :cuss:. There's many other examples.  Two off the top of my head are Vigilators don't have Skirmish meaning they mess up Recon & Seeker Squads if they join them and the Pathfinder doesn't have Light so messes up Scout Squads if he joins them.

Edited by SlickSamos
Punctuation

1 hour ago, SlickSamos said:

But remember folks that Primarchs can fit in a Land Raider but Primaris Marines can't because "reasons", therefore Marduk is the Primarch of Cataphractii or something?  I don't know...

I mean, they're abandoning that rule finally except for the light transports. Although why firstborn can't ride in Impulsors I don't know. Maybe their legs don't reach the floor from their seats?

Now I'm imagining a "You must be this tall to ride" sign next to some very sad devastators and sternguard.

Edited by Squark

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/26/2023 at 9:49 AM, Squark said:

So, why don't Marduk Sedras and Farith Redloss have bitter duty? It's weird that the two, "I love the smell of phosphex in the morning," characters can't join destroyers.

I don't disagree that they should, but for Sedras, I think the intention is he takes his retinue of inner circle.

For Redloss, just give him a thematic command squad I guess?

• 4 weeks later...

So I ran a 3k Firewing list (list copied below) for the Bugeater Heresy event and here are my thoughts:

1) Priority target wound up biting me in the butt partially because our event had some very fun and thematic objectives to focus on. Even trying to whittle one target down at a time was tough because there were other threats on the table that needed dealing with first. If I brought a more cheesy list (spam heavy support squads, recon, dreads) I might have been able to prevent giving up more VPs here.

2) Infiltrating troops units is cash money. Alpha legion does it right. I would be able to counter deploy or even drop my units in a corner of the board on my opponent’s side that they neglected. As tacticals don’t generally look like a big threat, they survive quite long and put out some heat. I killed a few predators by shooting them in the rear with bolters, and ground down other valuable units. This I will miss the most if I switch to a different wing/RoW.

3) [Special Units] Interemptors are nasty, but I think they work better as a psychological tool. I rarely got the chance to put them to their full effect, but they worked great to pull fire from my Cenobium. 

Firewing Enigmatii are a fun unit but by no means competitive. They are cool to use as a “hunter killer” unit that sneaks up the board behind cover and vehicles before pouncing on a unit and dumping all their strength into it. Problem is…they really need a 2+ save or more survivability. Even bringing them on from reserves with the 4+ shrouded is not enough to keep them safe.

Cenobium are Cenobium. They are scary and kick butt. I ran Hunter of beasts and it helped out against Domitars and an Ascended Angron. I think it is an under rated circle choice. I might switch to Companions with the Lion to try them out. A little less survivable, but they can sweep and get other peripheral bonuses.

4) Stand out Units: Recon marines. Take em with nemesis bolters, enough said. My sleeper unit, that a bunch of guys came to appreciate, was a squad of two proteus speeders with double grav. They were solid for ripping off wounds from Automata, Contemptors, and causing difficult terrain. I killed 6 WEs from failed terrain checks XD

5) Cerberus: did fairly well but I think its points could have been better spent on Predators or heavy support squads. I didn’t run into any Spartan deathstars it would have been useful to stop, so that could have been part of the issue. I mainly ran it as a counter to any knight shenanigans someone could have brought.

Final Thoughts: Firewing is fun and gives lots of buffs, but man does not finishing off priority targets suck. I think you could accomplish it, but you’d really start turning your army into a suicide unit bonanza. I think I’m going to switch to no RoW and run it that way. Plenty of guys at the event said they were scared of my list, but I only went 1-4 lol. But great games overall, and I managed to punish a lot of lists along the way.

++ Crusade Force Organisation Chart (LA -   I: Dark Angels) [3,000Pts] ++

+ Expanded Army Lists +

Expanded Army List Profiles:: Exemplary Units On, Legacy Units On

+ Allegiance: +

I: Dark Angels

Allegiance: Loyalist

+ Rite of War: +

Rite of War: Serpent's Bane (DA)

+ HQ: +

Centurion [100Pts]: Firewing, Seneschal of the Keys, Warlord
. Delegatus: Artificer Armour, Pair of Lightning Claws
. Delegatus 

+ Elites: +

Dreadwing Interemptor Squad [445Pts]: Artificer Armour, Interemptor Praefectus, 7x Interemptors, Plasma Incinerator
. Land Raider Proteus Carrier: Twin-linked Lascannon

Inner Circle Knights Cenobium [510Pts]: Firewing, Hunter of Beasts
.  Order Preceptor: Terranic Greatsword
. Land Raider Proteus Carrier: Twin-linked Lascannon
. Order Cenobites: Thunder Hammer
. Order Cenobites: Terranic Greatsword
. Order Cenobites: Terranic Greatsword
. Order Cenobites: Thunder Hammer

+ Troops: +

Assault Squad [175Pts]: Firewing, Infiltrate (The Serpent's Bane)
. Legion Assault Sergeant: Artificer Armour, Bolt Pistol
. . Power Weapon: Power Sword
. 7x  Legionaries (collective): 7x Bolt Pistol, 7x Chainsword
. Legionary w/ Options: Bolt Pistol, Power Sword
. Legionary w/ Options: Bolt Pistol, Power Sword

Reconnaissance Squad [255Pts]: Firewing
.  Legion Recon Sergeant: Bolt Pistol, Nemesis Bolter
.  Recon Legionary: Augury Scanner, Bolt Pistol, Nemesis Bolter
.  Recon Legionary: Bolt Pistol, Nemesis Bolter

Tactical Squad [100Pts]: Firewing, Infiltrate (The Serpent's Bane)
.  Legion Tactical Sergeant: Bolt Pistol, Bolter, Power Armour
. 9x  Legionaries (collective): 9x Bolt Pistol, 9x Bolter

Tactical Squad [100Pts]: Firewing, Infiltrate (The Serpent's Bane)
.  Legion Tactical Sergeant: Bolt Pistol, Bolter, Power Armour
. 9x  Legionaries (collective): 9x Bolt Pistol, 9x Bolter

+ Fast Attack: +

Firewing Enigmatus Cabal [150Pts]: Firewing Enigmatii, Firewing Enigmatii, Firewing Enigmatii

Javelin Squadron [105Pts]: Firewing
. Javelin Land Speeder: 2x Lascannons, Bolt Pistol, Chainsword, Multi-Melta

Proteus Land Speeder Squadron [170Pts]: Firewing
. Proteus Land Speeder: Bolt Pistol, Graviton Gun, Graviton Gun
. Proteus Land Speeder: Bolt Pistol, Graviton Gun, Graviton Gun

+ Heavy Support: +

Deredeo Dreadnought Talon [450Pts]: Dreadwing
. Legion Deredeo Dreadnought: Aiolos Missile Launcher, Twin-linked Heavy Bolter
. . Hellfire Plasma Cannonade
. Legion Deredeo Dreadnought: Aiolos Missile Launcher, Twin-linked Heavy Bolter
. . Hellfire Plasma Cannonade

+ Lords of War: +

Cerberus Squadron [440Pts]: Ironwing
. Cerberus: 2x Lascannons, Searchlights

++ Total: [3,000Pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe

I adore interemptors. Adore them enough that they're my 3 compulsory troops choices in any Eskaton list. I think they need to be run at minimum value however - once you start clocking more then 3/4 templates at a time, unless your positioning is nigh on flawless you're doing more harm than good. The psychological factor is even more overwhelming than you've given it credit for however. Once a person sees that much plasma breaching, they can't unsee it :biggrin:

I really rate hunters of beasts as a Hekatonystika option. Where it falls down is it's quite niche. There's not huge amounts in game that are over the toughness threshold to kick in. That said though, if you're going in blind, it's a safe bet that dreadnoughts are going to be there and that re-roll 1s to wound is much more valuable than re-rolls 1st to hit.

How did the Deredeo run? I've yet to see one in any form in the first year of HH 2.0

On 6/5/2023 at 3:53 PM, Balthamal said:

How did the Deredeo run? I've yet to see one in any form in the first year of HH 2.0

They did quite well in my opinion. I tried to stay away from running maximal fire all the time except when I needed to double out models. Aiolos missiles do a good job with pinning. I normally forget the heavy bolters but they are 4 shots now and it embarrasses people when they get a kill lol.

Overall, pretty survivable and put out a good amount of firepower.

My next list will look nearly identical, but I trade out a tac squad for two inductii all with volkites in rhinos, drop the Cerberus for 5 lascannon marines, and swap the Delegatus for a thunder hammer chaplain. I’m going no RoW and seeing how that works out :)

Interesting choice to go no RoW. I'd be interested to see how Inductii perform in that list or with a generic RoW where you're not punished 5/6 times.

Really digging the other changes too. I've finally started getting mileage out of a Kratos so some comparisons with a HSS would be handy (mine are currently built with choom cannons)

On 6/12/2023 at 1:59 PM, Balthamal said:

Interesting choice to go no RoW. I'd be interested to see how Inductii perform in that list or with a generic RoW where you're not punished 5/6 times.

Really digging the other changes too. I've finally started getting mileage out of a Kratos so some comparisons with a HSS would be handy (mine are currently built with choom cannons)

I don't have my book with me at the moment, but don't all Legion RoWs require, that all Troop Choices have the specific Wing-Hexagrammaton?

So, since Inductii loose their Hexagrammaton-Subtype, they can't be fielded in Legion RoWs - so there's sadly no choice but to play no, or generic RoWs ^^ 

14 hours ago, Gattopardo said:

They can be taken in the Storm of War and the Unbroken Vow as those Rites specify that certain types of unit (e.g. tactical squads, veteran squads, etc) need to take the Stormwing and Deathwing sub-types, not all troops choices. They are however locked out of the other Rites.

I'd argue you can't take them in Stormwing, because their unit entry is technically still a Tactical Squad. 

14 hours ago, Allart01 said:

I'd argue you can't take them in Stormwing, because their unit entry is technically still a Tactical Squad. 

Jep, that's right, Inductii are still Legion Tacticals, just with the Inductii Subtype. So they can only be fielded in the Unbroken Vow, or generic RoWs

• 3 months later...

I'm very new to heresy and the dark angels, but wondered what everyone thinks of the following combo:

1. Dreadwing RoW gives +1 to wound against targets in area terrain

2. Graviton guns leave a blast marker of area terrain after you fire them

Is it worth it to slap a couple of grav guns on some dreadwing landspeeders (ignore dangerous terrain checks) and have them 'light up' some key targets for your other dreadwing units? 

21 minutes ago, Wrath of Bruinen said:

I'm very new to heresy and the dark angels, but wondered what everyone thinks of the following combo:

Is it worth it to slap a couple of grav guns on some dreadwing landspeeders (ignore dangerous terrain checks) and have them 'light up' some key targets for your other dreadwing units? 

I'd say yes as that sounds fun and helps you control the board and how your opp moves. It may be a little niche and not come up as much as you'd like but the threat of it sounds awesome! Plus I love speeders even in their current version.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/1/2023 at 1:55 AM, Wrath of Bruinen said:

Good to know - thank you!

Anytime! Please share how well it goes. I've spent most of my limited game time working on my Death Guard this edition and my beloved Dark Angels haven't seen the table as much as I'd like.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/30/2023 at 4:40 PM, Wrath of Bruinen said:

You could build into that more and take graviton arquitors, they leave a massive blast sized dangerous terrain circles.

Phosphex weapons leave permanent dangerous terrain markers.