The Dodekatheon: IVth Legion Tactica

Slips

On 7/27/2022 at 5:27 AM, Canadian_F_H said:

Shame.  The 2 handed thunderhammers from the deathwatch kits would be PERFECT Graviton Crushers.Screenshot_20220726-232017.png.233c80f07e5e4a85b1f56c9508544842.png

Just look at it!  If it just replaced a powerfist instead of a thunderhammer (partly for points and partly for accessibility reasons since more units can take PF than TH) then I would definitely put several of these in my army.  

As a non-IV Legion player, I don’t want to be encouraging all these grav-hammer shenanigans, but has anyone considered using the hammers from the upcoming squat berserker set? I haven’t got a photo to hand, but the WarCom article is here;

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/08/01/the-leagues-of-votann-let-loose-the-augmented-fury-of-the-cthonian-berserks/

Edited by General Zodd

12 hours ago, General Zodd said:

As a non-IV Legion player, I don’t want to be encouraging all these grav-hammer shenanigans, but has anyone considered using the hammers from the upcoming squat berserker set? I haven’t got a photo to hand, but the WarCom article is here;

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/08/01/the-leagues-of-votann-let-loose-the-augmented-fury-of-the-cthonian-berserks/

Ni, they are ridiculously oversized und would look silly and out of place in a 30k army.

For maces I use this.

20220808_071117.thumb.jpg.ae505f99e5d6963b477c4c23331ae7be.jpg

On 8/7/2022 at 3:50 PM, Cadmus Tyro said:

Just looking through the rules for the iron circle, am I right in thinking that the only character that can now join the unit it perturabo? 

Seems a shame…

Cadmus 

Yeah I think that is correct as they are Monstrous.  Similarly I wish a Forge Lord could join a Dreadnought Talon instead of just a Mortifactor.

For graviton weapons do you roll to wound/damage vehicles then get Haywire on top of that attack or just do the haywire rolls? Such as a graviton mace attacking a contemptor.

Haywire overrides any Strength values and alike when it comes to dealing damage. You do not double dip and get to roll to pen with an S8 hammer on top of rolling on the Haywire chart

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Hooj said:

Why wouldnt warsmith be able to join Iron Circle? He has Master of Automata speacial rule. 

It's at the bottom left of page 197 in the Age of Darkness Rulebook under the Monstrous Sub-Type, no model that isn't Monstrous may join a unit that is Monstrous (paraphrasing).  But Perturabo has a specific rule that allows him to join the Iron Circle.

I'm playing vs my friend's Thousand Sons on this coming Tuesday.  Just a 1000 pointer to start since we're noobs.  I think he's got a Sicaran, a Leviathan, and a bunch of Terminators.  

I was thinking of using my Fury of the Ancients, albeit a small group.  Anyone fought the sons of Magnus recently?  Wondering what I need to look out for...besides flaming mind-bullets :p

I'll have a dual-las helical Warlord-Contemptor w a friendly Mortifactor, Contemptor w fist/chainfist/meltagun and the other w dual fists/combi-bolters and havoc launcher, a Castra Ferrum box-Dread w lascannon and graviton maul, and a Dreadclaw.  Figure I can use the Dreadclaw as just a nuisance or drop someone somewhere, and perhaps get into combat turn 2, or 3 at least.  

The ban-hammer!?!  That's terrible.  I mean they're only like a squad of 3-4 terminators each.  Looks like we've got time to do a 1500 pointer.  Maybe I'll temper it with just the 3 minimum dreadnoughts, then some tacticals and a deepstriker unit like Despoilers or something.  Been wanting to try them out too.

Guess if there are tournaments I should expect to see bunches of Dreadnoughts.  Which begs the question, how best to deal with them....without using Dreadnoughts?  At least the IVth gets +1 strength against them.  That's something.

On 8/27/2022 at 3:18 AM, Lord Krungharr said:

It's at the bottom left of page 197 in the Age of Darkness Rulebook under the Monstrous Sub-Type, no model that isn't Monstrous may join a unit that is Monstrous (paraphrasing).  But Perturabo has a specific rule that allows him to join the Iron Circle.

But as I said Warsmith grants him Master of Automata special rule that allows him to join any Automata unit. So you can run him with Domitars in Brethren of Iron RoW or Iron Circles for example. Its better then before. Liber Hereticus page 122 and 180. 

On 8/28/2022 at 5:41 AM, Hooj said:

But as I said Warsmith grants him Master of Automata special rule that allows him to join any Automata unit. So you can run him with Domitars in Brethren of Iron RoW or Iron Circles for example. Its better then before. Liber Hereticus page 122 and 180. 

Hmmm, that's intriguing, and makes me want to hunt some Domitars down for my collection.  Those would be difficult to kitbash I think and do a fair job of looking the part.

On 8/30/2022 at 11:49 PM, Gorgoff said:

Why do you want domitars?

Mainly cuz they look cool.  But they're so expensive for the models, waiting patiently for a deal, or a plastic kit ?!?!  

But for practicality I'd almost want a couple Vindicators first, they have Brutal (3) cannons.  I didn't see any other ranged Brutal guns when I checked.

I made 3 rapier batteries though, Shatter Shells seems pretty good.  I'll give those a whirl next game.

1 hour ago, DeRome90 said:

What do you all think about the Dominator Cohort?
Are they worth it?

I am currently thinking of building a small squad with a Multi-Melta.

I'd say make sure you magnetize the arms, which is pretty easy with just a pin-vise and 1/8" drill and 1/8"x1/16" thick neodymium magnets.  I think the Dominators could be good but not perhaps more worth the points than Siege Tyrants.  Which you could probably magnetize some Cyclone Launchers to the top of the carapace easily as well.

Cyclone Missile Launcher x3 sprue (NNRZZDFSP) by CarvedMetal (shapeways.com)

51 minutes ago, Lord Krungharr said:

I'd say make sure you magnetize the arms, which is pretty easy with just a pin-vise and 1/8" drill and 1/8"x1/16" thick neodymium magnets.  I think the Dominators could be good but not perhaps more worth the points than Siege Tyrants.  Which you could probably magnetize some Cyclone Launchers to the top of the carapace easily as well.

Cyclone Missile Launcher x3 sprue (NNRZZDFSP) by CarvedMetal (shapeways.com)

Thankfully I have already 5 Tyrants, so I have 15 Terminators left. I was thinking of building 5 Dominators, another 5 Tyrants and leave the remaining 5 on the sprue, depending on what I will need next. But if my fellow Warsmiths say that Dominators are not worth it, I won't even bother to build/magnetize them.

Since I did not play any game of HH, I have no clue how good they are. But with standard TH, a multi-melta and maybe one or two combi-melta, I think that they can pack quite the punch.

19 hours ago, DeRome90 said:

What do you all think about the Dominator Cohort?
Are they worth it?

Define worth.

Crunch? One if the best Assault terminators in the game so far.

Style? Oh yeah very much so. I am currelty building 10 Dominators myself. The plan is simple. Throw them in the face of my enemies and let them kill.

I guess withiut Spartan they are pretty much useless because they are slow as :cuss:. So I have to build one Spartan as well. 

I like the Dominator Terminators a lot.  The fact they cannot take a Spartan as a dedicated transport is a bummer tho.

I've been messing around with some local meta appropriate 3000, 3500 and 4000 pt lists.  I find I can still happily bring all the firepower I want and still give up a Heavy support slot to give them a Spartan.  Even if im only taking 5 of them, add in Perturabo and they still need a spartan.

I need to finish my conversions soon. So I can share the first 5 of my Dominator Cohort.

• 1 month later...

Greetings fraters. Keen to hear your thoughts on the appropriate unit to make use of the Tyrant of Lyssatra trait. Lascannon heavies would be brutal but they will implode fairly quickly. Plasma gun tactical supports could be fun, add an Apothecary and you've got a reasonable expectation of not imploding, pop out of a rhino and that's a lot of plasma. Autocannon heavies would be another fairly standard choice perhaps. What about a Nemesis bolter recon squad though? Master of Signals warlord sitting way back with ten Recons, 20 BS5 sniper shots (and line!) is going to really dismantle some key targets, and it's not so many shots that you will implode. Can still make a free Interceptor too. Thoughts?

Edited by Brother Kraskor