The Dodekatheon: IVth Legion Tactica

Slips

On 3/28/2023 at 8:11 PM, SlickSamos said:

Big cavite, I have a super bad cold so I'm not certain I've got the following correct, but I think vs Ld8 they'll have 64% chance of failing at least one test & vs Ld9 it reduces to 59%

This is definitely wrong by the way, I have no idea what I did...

Right sorting out my maths as I'm almost over my cold...

3 Shotguns vs Ld 8 has (91% X 10/36) 25% chance of succeeding.

5 Shrapnel vs AS 3+ & Ld 8 has (69% X 10/36) 19% chance of succeeding.

P of not succeeding with both guns is (1-.25)*(1-.19) = 61%, therefore P of succeeding with at least one gun is 39%.

Similarly vs Ld 9 & AS 3+

3 Shotguns is 91% X 1/6 = 15%

5 Shrapnel is 69% X 1/6 = 12%

P of succeeding with at least one gun is 1-(1-.15)*(1-.12) = 25%

Again I have no idea what I did the first time :facepalm:

• 2 weeks later...

Played an ironfire list last week vs a mostly power armoured force.

I spent about 800 pts on artillery in a 3000pt game with the remaining of List being standard evergreen units

-Tacticals with basic bayonets remain a surprisingly killy unit.

-Autocannon iron havocs are replacing Recon marine snipers for me from now on

-Bombards are trash 

- Quad launchers without phosphex are also trash. With phosphex they're probably one of the most effective line killers about.

-Lascannon contemptors are surprisingly pillowfisted vs other dreads

2 hours ago, Mr Farson said:

I spent about 800 pts on artillery in a 3000pt game with the remaining of List being standard evergreen units

-Bombards are trash 

- Quad launchers without phosphex are also trash. With phosphex they're probably one of the most effective line killers about.

I will build some Havocs with Autocannon as well. Sounds like fun. 

2 hours ago, Mr Farson said:

-Bombards are trash 

This is why I use box dreads for my lascannons and usually dual CC for Contemptor dreads.

24 minutes ago, Gorgoff said:

I will build some Havocs with Autocannon as well. Sounds like fun. 

They're a fab unit, if you run a the shooty tyrant Warlord Trait with them they turn into an absolute work horse unit. 

They killed a land raider in one volley with the advanced reaction and also put several precision shot wounds on my enemies Warlord via rending.

3 minutes ago, Brother Sutek said:

This is why I use box dreads for my lascannons and usually dual CC for Contemptor dreads.

I'm moving to 6 laser destroyer rapiers I think for anti tank at this point, I'm finding the non heavy support slot anti tank units are some of the best for laying hurt on

10 hours ago, Brother Sutek said:

Seriously? No one in my area does that! I only want six or so...

www.forgeworld.com

If you want the crunch get out the doe. :biggrin:

Obviously eBay and other 3rd party reseller are an option as well. Kromlech sells similar Guns for example. 

Ok gang, want much more learned minds than mine to have a quick squiz at my army that I'm working toward. 90% of it will be 3d printed.

The very brief (but to be expanded upon) fluff is they are a small besieging force that has been left on a world where they've sort of stale mated themselves against a final fortification.

The basic iron warriors will all be in MK 2 armour, but their left sides (so front toward enemy) will have the ablative MK3 plates bolted on to cop most of the fire. Those ablative plates will be painted in a WW1 styled camouflage, they'll also probably have super tattered camo rain slicks as well. Weaponry wise they'll be rocking phobos bolters with bayonets, so they can flip between shrapnel bolters or bayo bolters as the list requires.

The front of each of the vehicles (and the side panels of the Castellan Rhinos) will also be painted in the same WW1 styled camo pattern, I imagine this leans into the Iron Warriors brutally phlegmatic approach to warfare. Camo the parts that face toward the enemy fortifications, don't waste paint on the elsewhere.

So will be going a really heavy Somme vibe, lot of trench warfare looking action, pretty whittled down and damaged units etc. 

HQ (The Iron Fire)

Cent-Delegatus, Sniper, WLT:  Tyrant of the Dodekathon (Turn one piece of cover off and into diff/dang terrain)

Cent-Siege Breaker - Boarding Shield

ELITES

1x Rapier Thud Gun, w/ Phosex Rounds, Pinning Rounds

1x Rapier Thud Gun, w/  Phosex Rounds, Pinning Rounds

1x Rapier Thud Gun, w/  Phosex Rounds, Pinning Rounds

3x Rapier w/ Laser Destroyer  (Siegebreaker goes here, also very tempted to model the rapiers as like an 'Uber Havok' troopers, big heavy, pre-obliterator looking dudes, with a couple of 'minders' defending them and keeping him on track. )

TROOPS

10 Marines in Rhino (Rhinos will be modelled as Castellan Rhinos, with their sides folded up)

10 Marines in rhino

Arquitor bombard w/phosphex rounds

Arquitor bombard w/phosphex rounds

FAST ATTACK

5x Seekers, Sniper Bolters, aug, nuncio (Delegatus goes here, could also swap this for a sniper recon squad)

HEAVY SUPPORT

10 Iron Havocs w/ Autocannons, Aug Scanner

1 Kratos w/ Dozerblade, flare shield, bow autocannons, shrapnel bolter sponsons, Probably Melta? (These are modelled off an edited Solyte Studio vehicle, was originally going to run minotaurs, but god damn they are garbage!)

1 Kratos w/ Dozerblade, flare shield, bow autocannons, shrapnel bolter sponsons, Probably Volkite?

FORT Aegis Line w/ Skyreaper Battery (Aegis line will be modelled as a couple of Castellan Rhinos with their sides unfurled to make firing steps).

Allies

HQ

Archmagos Prime on Abeyant, Conversion Beamer, aug scanner, cyber familiar, trait that turns 3 bits of terrain off and into diff/dang terrain. (This is going to be a centrepiece model. Thinking I'm going to have my 'true'leader on a big base, modelled as a proto-obilterator warsmith with a big conversion beamer firing off into the distance, but also on the base will be a small war council arguing over a hololithic display, with him pointing at what he wants attacked, mid conversion beamer shot.)

ELITES

Tech Pirest Auxilia w/ 10x Servo Automata (so these guys are line, but guardian also, so they can sit there and eat sniper shots at the archmagos) also went enginseer, so the techpriest can try and keep the kratos firing.  (Tempted to model this as literally moving bulwarks, not sure how yet, but literally legged or tracked shields, could have marines of my friends armies chained to the front to lean a bit more into chaos.

TROOPS

10x Mooks, probably model these guys up as Human Auxiliaries.

So wanted to avoid going 'hurr durr S10 lascannons are good' and stay away from lascannons on everything (sans the rapier laser destoryers), just try and leverage auto cannon action and ideally just lock down areas of the board with dangerous terrain. 

Anyway would love some thoughts? Too toothless? Dangerous Terrain spread too oppressive? etc

Edited by TheTrans

On 4/20/2023 at 3:25 AM, Gorgoff said:

www.forgeworld.com

If you want the crunch get out the doe. :biggrin:

Obviously eBay and other 3rd party reseller are an option as well. Kromlech sells similar Guns for example. 

Ah I thought you meant people in your area sold them. You're saying FW sells them. The dough isn't there right now sadly, bloody real life responsibilities.  Etsy has some that are really nice and I can afford once I do a little overtime or finally get off my rear end and sell my Craftworld Eldar.

• 1 month later...

Wondering if I should invest in a Spartan for my Dominator Cohort?  Or just a Proteus?  Tanks just seem to die so quickly, at least in all my games.  But other than a Warmonger Consul, they are pretty slow.   Kharybdis was lackluster when I used it in previous games and I'm not certain they could even assault the turn they came in out of one could they?

Guess I could maybe use a Vigilator just for the Scout or Outflank?  

On 4/12/2023 at 9:14 PM, Mr Farson said:

They're a fab unit, if you run a the shooty tyrant Warlord Trait with them they turn into an absolute work horse unit. 

Why not go full throttle and give them lascannon? Throw in a MoS Lyssatra Warlord, they're now BS6 so they'll re-roll 1s to hit. Sure they will take attrition, but 20 lascannon shots for the price of 10...!

7 hours ago, Brother Kraskor said:

Why not go full throttle and give them lascannon? Throw in a MoS Lyssatra Warlord, they're now BS6 so they'll re-roll 1s to hit. Sure they will take attrition, but 20 lascannon shots for the price of 10...!

Because then the enemy can bait their Shooting reaction with a Tac or Recon Squad, or even a 35pts Rhino, where they have to shoot back, thanks to Tyrant of Lyssatra...

And after that, they'll get blown to bits.

Edit:

10 Autocannons are "weak" enough, that the unit can be overlooked by most opponents for a more pressing Target. But strong enough to still kick ass. 

10 Lascannons (with 20 shots) on the other hand - that's something you'll want off the table, as fast as possible!

Edited by MichaelCarmine

52 minutes ago, Brother Kraskor said:

Very fair point. I guess you could have the Autocannon Havocs with Lyssatra and then some Lascannon Heavies separate to force hard choices.

That'd only work on almost empty tables though. 

• 1 month later...

Fraters what are your thoughts on loadouts for Castellax with a Praevian Lyssatra Warlord? I'm stuck between Multi-Melta and Darkfire Cannon. The Cannon is longer range and already Gets Hot so the WL trait brings no disadvantage, makes them three shots each so a 50% increase. But the Multi-Melta is comparatively a 100% increase from one shot to two, and is twin-linked so your chances of Getting Hot are comparatively low, but has shorter range and is less effective against vehicles until within 12". I think I'm leaning toward the Cannon with weight of dice and the range bonus but keen to hear your thoughts.

42 minutes ago, Brother Kraskor said:

Fraters what are your thoughts on loadouts for Castellax with a Praevian Lyssatra Warlord? I'm stuck between Multi-Melta and Darkfire Cannon. The Cannon is longer range and already Gets Hot so the WL trait brings no disadvantage, makes them three shots each so a 50% increase. But the Multi-Melta is comparatively a 100% increase from one shot to two, and is twin-linked so your chances of Getting Hot are comparatively low, but has shorter range and is less effective against vehicles until within 12". I think I'm leaning toward the Cannon with weight of dice and the range bonus but keen to hear your thoughts.

I'd second this.

A hail of black rays sounds way cooler than the reasonable multimelta.

I think about Kratos with a Decurion attached.

With all its Sponsons it should be very scare to shoot at all of the sudden.