The Mournival: XVIth Legion Tactica

Slips

On 7/24/2022 at 7:34 PM, Noserenda said:

In the end ive gone for two axes, one pair of claws and two chainfists. But then my entire playgroup bar me already owned two spartans before the plastic one came out :D 

gallery_54361_16738_584790.jpg
BROTHER!!!

This loadout has carried the day often enough that I'll always suggest it.

• 1 month later...

I sort of have a vision for a Sons of Horus army of 3 units of 20 men charging across the battlefield supported by other infantry units and vehicles. I imagined executing this vision with the Black Reaving Rite of War, but I think maybe 3 20 man units of Despoilers may be better to squeeze more support for them?  I am looking for a counter army to my Raven Guard, which plays more like a scalpel and decided on Sons of Horus as I don't really want to align with the World Eaters/(Khorne eventually)(or paint so much white)

• 2 weeks later...

The changes to Reaver Aggressor squads is fantastic, having veteran level jump troops with line is brilliant. There aren't many ways to get elite units as troops (without restrictions) so I think the Black Reaving is a really strong Rite of War now, also the changes to vox disruptor means that we can deep strike our Justaerin without teleporting them into a mountain!

I'm super excited about the new options in Black Reaving.

What are people thinking of deep striking? I know Justaerin are an obvious choice, but I think throwing in a shooty unit in a pod for the Inertial Guidance system. Maybe a tactical support squad given how much of a premium our HS is? (Also the penalty from disembarking.)

On 9/22/2022 at 1:53 PM, Varyn said:

The changes to Reaver Aggressor squads is fantastic, having veteran level jump troops with line is brilliant. There aren't many ways to get elite units as troops (without restrictions) so I think the Black Reaving is a really strong Rite of War now, also the changes to vox disruptor means that we can deep strike our Justaerin without teleporting them into a mountain!

sorry brother, where are these changes? new into HH2.0 and just putting an army together

On 9/22/2022 at 1:53 PM, Varyn said:

except you can end up teleporting into a mountain as it affects both armies DS

17 hours ago, Theredknight said:

sorry brother, where are these changes? new into HH2.0 and just putting an army together

They're in the Liber Tratoris FAQ and the Legends FAQ/update.

3 hours ago, Theredknight said:

except you can end up teleporting into a mountain as it affects both armies DS

Now you can shut the thing off at the beginning of the turn. Yes, they can deep strike too, but it seems like a reasonably fair solution.

On 9/26/2022 at 12:21 PM, Varyn said:

I think it depends on the organisers, it's always best to check well in advance. The problem is that some of the legacy units are very powerful and some of them are pretty bad.

bit of hit and miss i guess, at least with the standard books, everything is a level playing field. that and exemplary units maybe as accepted. legacy are ok if allowed, but i can see the potential to break them. also i dont think they will be supported for the future, why would they.

anyways, il have to post my possible SOH list in the correct area. i actually hardly see any there!

The official stance is the legacy units are just as legit as the others, organisers can obviously house rule if they want to but really there isnt anything outrageous in there compared to the main list, though most of the options are bad thats down to the individual to decide what they are happy playing with.

On 9/22/2022 at 5:53 AM, Varyn said:

Am I missing somewhere that states Reaver Aggressors can be taken in Black Reaving as Troops?

Greetings Brothers!

After a long-long hiatus I'm back to build my legion. It seems a new edition needed to happen, to bring me forth from the shadows again :biggrin: 

What Heavy Support would you recommend in the name of the Warmaster for my mainly infantry based horde? I will be facing mostly against artillery heavy Iron Warriors, warp-dust-eating Thousand Sons and my other army, a tank heavy Iron Hands force. 

And another question. I have a five (mad)man Justaerin Terminator Squad. Should I upgrade my army with a second five strong squad, or would one elite terminator unit be enough?

Thanks for the replies! 

• 4 weeks later...

Nearly a month and still no answers... 

The Warmaster will be disappointed. In the meantime I got a Predator tank, but not sure to run it with my Sons or roll it with my Iron Hands.

What is your experience with Heavy Support Squads? 5 Missiles or Lascannons would be enough to give some fire support to my infantry?

1 hour ago, selnik said:

What rite of war are you planning to use? Both the SoH ones have certain limitations on heavy options.

I don't know. Maybe the Long March. 

If the plastic Jetbikes (according to the rumours) would hit the shops I would definitely go with a more fast approach to the Legion, but still I would like to have some variety. 

• 3 months later...
16 hours ago, Starlight_Wolf said:

Just starting out as a son of XVI, what would be considered fluffy units in the Sons of Hours beyond the Reavers and Justaerin? Just looking to build up a small force and need a few ideas what to be looking at :)

That’s a really difficult question to answer, honestly. All of the legions made use of all types of formation, and the Sons of Horus are arguably one of the legions who didn’t have a hyper-focus on one area. As a result, literally anything in the Astartes play book is fluffy.

Having said that, if you’re thinking Cthonian gang culture, then despoilers and assault squads make for a good “rampaging gang” look? But genuinely, anything you fancy can work.

I like to use Breachers with my Sons. A squad of 10, with volkites, a pair of meltas and an Apothecary with master crafted armor and maybe power weapon and volkite.

But some people said that's a bad idea, and better focous in Reavers and Justaerin. Any ideas?

On 2/13/2023 at 3:21 PM, Starlight_Wolf said:

Just starting out as a son of XVI, what would be considered fluffy units in the Sons of Hours beyond the Reavers and Justaerin? Just looking to build up a small force and need a few ideas what to be looking at :)

Have think to try a Chieftains squad?. I think is a good option for Zone Mortalis...

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/19/2023 at 9:16 PM, AGRAMAR said:

I like to use Breachers with my Sons. A squad of 10, with volkites, a pair of meltas and an Apothecary with master crafted armor and maybe power weapon and volkite.

But some people said that's a bad idea, and better focous in Reavers and Justaerin. Any ideas?

Put 'em in a termite.