The Mournival: XVIth Legion Tactica

Slips

11 hours ago, TheDreadfulSagittary said:

Thanks for the tip with the Scorpius, I might give it a try. If not with the Sons, then with my Iron Hands. I think that the main missing point in my army is something that is effective against tanks and/or heavy infantry.

As for the Sicarans - I try to stay away from the bigger resin kits, mainly because of their price tag. I love the chassis, they look amazing and I didn't think that any of them would be a bad decision.

Something also on my mind - what about a Vindicator?

That's what I was thinking about. Only a bare minimum, just for fun, but still effective. The battle box seems to be a great starting point. Maybe a Velantis Storm Section and an additional tank to them, but nothing more (maybe even less - I didn't like the heavy Sentinel :S )

Sounds nice! I hope that you might share the performance of your Sicaran (and of course the rest of the army) with us later :)

Depends of your tastes. Demolisher cannon is quite short rage for an artillery weapon, and only 1shot  but is Str 12, Sunder and Brutal 3, plus Rending 6+ and Blast 3'. And you have 3 models in plastic to choose. 

Magna Laser Destroyer is just Str 9 but Ordinance 3, Twin-Linked, and Exoshock 6+ with much better range, 36".

One is great to try to destroy buildings, terminator and dreads, and of course groups of infantry, specially elites. The other one is great as tank hunter and similar. What you need more? Choose.In any case, as Rhino chassis based tank, I think is better use them in pairs if you can afford it.

And if you  get the Horus Heresy kit, try  to make the weapons interchangeable. Always

Edited by Agramar_The_Luna_Wolf

On 1/28/2024 at 5:04 PM, TheDreadfulSagittary said:

Sounds nice! I hope that you might share the performance of your Sicaran (and of course the rest of the army) with us later :)

I'm just starting Sons of Horus, so it'll be a more restrained army, with mostly just core options. We'll see how it goes, I'm just excited to get them onto the table in any capacity.

I'll be playing one of my good friends, who'll probably be taking his Ultramarines.

• 4 weeks later...

I ended up playing my first game with SoH, it was definitely a blast. My Sicaran got blown up in one shot from a Contemptor with a Gravis Lascannon, so it didn't really do much :D

The army did pretty well, we played Tide of Carnage, which was pretty fun. I took two tactical squads, one in a Rhino, a Tactial Support squad of 10 with Rotor Cannons, 5 Cataphractii with 2 chainfists and 3 powerfists + a Cataphractii Praetor w/ Paragon Blade in a Land Raider, a Contemptor and a Sicaran. The Land Raider I thought did really well, it trashed some vehicles, surviving towards the end. We had to cut it short at turn 4 because it was late and we were doing volunteer work beforehand, but I'd've likely been able to get the LR into their deployment zone T5 to deny them the victory points for that. I had more units at the end, so it was SoH 4 vs UM 3.

All in all, I'm enjoying the army, and I'm going to try to get more games with them soon.

On 2/24/2024 at 4:48 AM, WrathOfTheLion said:

I ended up playing my first game with SoH, it was definitely a blast. My Sicaran got blown up in one shot from a Contemptor with a Gravis Lascannon, so it didn't really do much :D

The army did pretty well, we played Tide of Carnage, which was pretty fun. I took two tactical squads, one in a Rhino, a Tactial Support squad of 10 with Rotor Cannons, 5 Cataphractii with 2 chainfists and 3 powerfists + a Cataphractii Praetor w/ Paragon Blade in a Land Raider, a Contemptor and a Sicaran. The Land Raider I thought did really well, it trashed some vehicles, surviving towards the end. We had to cut it short at turn 4 because it was late and we were doing volunteer work beforehand, but I'd've likely been able to get the LR into their deployment zone T5 to deny them the victory points for that. I had more units at the end, so it was SoH 4 vs UM 3.

All in all, I'm enjoying the army, and I'm going to try to get more games with them soon.

What where you up against? 

I'm currently building up my new Assault Marines (still waiting for some shoulder pads...), maybe I will also get a game with the Sons. The local players are aiming for a Zone Mortalis scene, so might reconsider some options, but still looking forward to field at least part of my army! :)

• 1 month later...

I want to add some extra tanks or just one tank to my Soh Army, but I'm not sure what to do. Now I have, just in tanks:

- 3 Rhinos (1 can be a Damocles command Rhino)

-3 Predators ( All weapon options)

-2 Scorpius (Can be turned into Rhinos if need)

-1 Vindicator

-1 LR Spartan

-and 1 LR Proteus

I was thinking in something big, like a Typhon or a Cerberus. One will be enough. But Kratos is quite cool. Maybe another Land Raider or a Vindicator?No more Rhinos or Predators.

What do you advise me?

On 4/13/2024 at 5:55 PM, Agramar_The_Luna_Wolf said:

I was thinking in something big, like a Typhon or a Cerberus. One will be enough. But Kratos is quite cool. Maybe another Land Raider or a Vindicator?No more Rhinos or Predators.

What do you advise me?

Ever since Book 1: Betrayal, I've thought that the Typhon looked badass in Sons of Horus colors. You already have a Spartan. It all depends on in you want more uniformity or more variety with your vehicle chassis.

Let's say more variety in gaming options. The central bulk of my tank force is based on Rhino chassis. I also look for something polivalent, ready to can be used in other roles exchanging few pieces, like the Scorpius 

Not strictly tactica, but how do y'all do the XVIth legion's trim?
Is it black?
Is it gold?
Is it steel colored?

I noticed that some trims are gunmetal when the Dark Emissary came out, and I have not been unable to unsee it ever since.a2a2dd86-58da-42a6-be6b-172727b740ce.jpg

Here, for instance, the SoH have a pastel mint plate. Their trim is mostly gold or black. But black would not work for a dark green color scheme.ngcb3

Here by comparison, the trim is wholly silver.
the old BB art depicts it as black, the new art as gold.

Which one do you do?

Depends a lot of the units. HQ and characters with gold, bronze/brass for centurions snd sarges, silver/steel for some units (specially elite units), black troops and vehicles, specially vehicles. My vehicles will be more black than sea green/veridian

Anyway, I'm trying to avoid using the same scheme of my BL, like silver/steel in legs and arms, golden in shoulder pads, mix in the chest area, top knot and lenses red, black the rest of the armor.

The first pic is Duncan Rhodes army. I know it quite well. Think that every player adds or changes things, making flexible. After all, we're from Cthonia not Ultramar! :biggrin:

Just kidding. I think nowadays  is not like old times, when the GW Studio owned an official army. Look fate of Barbarus, they used they very own armies, not picking something from Studio's shelves.

Every player and/painter adapt the colour scheme to their own tastes and stuff.

Edited by Agramar_The_Luna_Wolf