The Ravenspire: XIXth Legion Tactica

Slips

5 hours ago, Mandragola said:

I would love to not use a telepathy Librarian. The utility, particularly with Dark Furies, is obvious but it just feels a bit wrong for a narrative event. 

Telepathy is a perfect count as for shadow magic. To stop overwatch, intercept, etc. It's like pulling a veil of darkness over the unit. Just sounds awesome and works narratively.

I love the idea of sneaky retinue boys too.

5 hours ago, Lord Krungharr said:

I might be playing vs some Salamanders this Sunday.  At first I was thinking to use my Iron Warriors terminators force, but now I think I'd rather use my ninja cats.  Dark Furies and Deliverers will eat up a bunch of points but am I correct that deepstriking units can in fact charge after coming in from Reserves?  Though I read that somewhere, and the deep strike rules saying 'assault as normal' or something seems to suggest that (though I don't have my rules handy at the moment).  I have a couple Land Speeders with multimelta/lascannons too which can zip in to absorb overwatch, etc.

Yes you can assault from deepstrike, and you can be outside of a inch. Deepstriking is one of the most powerful faucets of 30k. 

My Raven Guard w Iron Hands allies were victorious against the Ambush of the Salamanders in the Dominion mission.  With that map all the normal type of objectives pretty much have to be in the corridors towards the long edges, so center of the board remained pretty empty.  He had Cat Praetor, Legion Champion, 2x5 power maul Cataphractii units, tac squad, Adherents in rhino w MM, Sicaran, Predator, Leviathan w storm cannon/cyclonic melta lance.  I had Raven Guard Recon Co w jump Praetor w raven talons, Master of Signals, 10 Deliverers (6 talons/2 MM/2 chainfists), 2x1 Javelins las/MM, sniper recons x7, sniper scouts x5, 1 apothecary...allied Iron Hands: grav pistl Moritat, tac squad in rhino, Leviathan w claw/drill.

I considered putting my Recon unit up in the tower but being one of my Line units felt they needed to be on an objective.

I gave him first deployment and turn....my Recon Co failed to seize the initiative.I put my iron hands Leviathan aggressively towards his cluster of 2 objectives and over three turns got rid of his tac squad there, whilst he circled his terminators around the rock away from Levi.  His Levi tried to shoot mine at first but then turned later to my Deliverers and took out a couple.   Iron Hands trait is super good especially for a Dreadnought.   Night fighting turn 1 really neutered his shots too. 

On my right flank His magna-melta predator failed to kill my grav pistol Moritat, and then got gravved to death big time. My tac squad went against his breacher squad and with help from my infravisor recon squad erased them turn 2.   His adherents squad (exemplary battles unit) roasted my scouts and also took out at least two Deliverers on overwatch later.   But then they got 'delivered'.   We called it bottom of turn 3. 

My javelin had exploded his sicaran, and he only had the two Cataphractii units w HQs and the Leviathan left.   The Cataphractiis were actually Line units from the Covenant of Fire (let's any unit with a Dragon Breath type flamer be Line).   But he deployed the one unit too far away from objectives on my right side, though that one could have killed my Moritat and tac squad in turn 4.   I think it was 6 to 2 at that point so would have been an uphill battle for him for sure.  But also it was four hours in.  Too many rules lookups=brain jelly.  Good game though.  Next time I feel like I'll remember a bunch more.  Just wish army building was in a right proper app already!  I hear Battlescribe doesn't have all the correct points?

IMG20230219133159.jpg

IMG20230219133204.jpg

IMG20230219150159.jpg

IMG20230219150208.jpg

IMG20230219155049.jpg

IMG20230219162251.jpg

Sounds like a good game! And just a heads up: the Covenant of Fire rite only makes Pyroclasts and Tactical Support Squads armed with the flamers Line. Not just anything that has a dragon’s breath flamer of some type. Otherwise we’d be looking at scoring leviathans and termites and all kinds of craziness!

Only way for Drakes to be scoring is a Herald being with them, I think.

hello guys! after dropping HH even starting years ago, i return to the game fuelled by my love for mk6 and sneaky armies! reading the Black Library books i fell in love with the RG, and a full mk6 RG army is just pure perfection!

i just bought the starting box to kickstart the project, but i can't really wrap my head around a satisfactory list. i have played a few 3000 points games proxying the models (my group has no problems with it when ou start to play, and 3000 is the format they felt best suited the game) and i can't really decide what RoW to play, Decapitation or Recon. i really like the fluff behind Decapitation Strike, but having only one HS slot really feels limiting, while Recon allows to free up FA slots by making seeker squads (a must have in my opinion) troops but then doesn't really had much as rules to the list.

i have developed a deep rooted love for Deliverers, especially with a good ammount of Raven Talons! they just rip through units and the baked-in DS is sweet, as i don't really love putting too much points in big killy units + big transports.

i'll try and post a wip army list in the relevant section, but i wanted to ask the community for some pointers on what works well with RG!

p.s. the players in my group don't really care about competitive play, we bring what we like and have fun with it, i just want to create a list that satisfies me both visually and gameplay-wise

Welcome ThatMatalhead. I look forward to seeing your WIP stuff.

I think you've essentially summed up the pros and cons of the two key RoWs for RG there. Decapitation strike is awesome but you then struggle for anti-tank, particularly when FA slots (where you might otherwise take land speeders etc.) get eaten up by Dark Furies, Seekers and so on.

The one thing I might say is that I'm not sure RGs are the best army for a recon company. It kind of doubles up the abilities the army already has. An army that can infiltrate tactical squads doesn't really want to be forced to bring recon squads, especially with seekers taking on the sniper role.

I think really the best answer is to take dreadnoughts. Quad-las or melta/fist contemptors, plus maybe something like Deredeos in your one HS slot. I'd actually consider a dual-fist contemptor with a chainfist, which you could chuck at things like Knights and Spartans. A lascannon HS squad is also an option but it suffers from being heavy, so it has to deploy when hardly anyone else does.

This way you won't have many vehicles (and possibly none at all) so there won't be great targets for your AT stuff. I've tried taking a Predator in HS but as one of very few vehicles I find it always dies, while my dreadnoughts are far more durable.

My own approach is probably a silly one: to take a Warhound at 3k. 

I would love to see a Warhound but with bird feet and big black beak on the front!  Stealthy Warhound :D

The infravisor on my Recon/Sniper Scouts sure came in handy...Night Fight often comes up and ignoring that with snipers is awesome.  That's the only good reason for RG Recon Company I can think of.    I'm kinda struggling with Dark Furies; being 1 wound and so expensive, they're a tough sell when I can bring Deliverers instead.  Deepstriking the Furies could work if there's good position to avoid massive Interceptor fire.   Of course they are some of the coolest looking models!  So it's a shame they have competition.  

Seeing my buddy's World Eater falax blade jumpy guys (forgot what they're called) tear through everyone makes me feel a little jealous of their 2 wounds each as opposed to our 1 wound.  Init 5 though helps sell the Furies....but on paper I like those Blood Angels Dawnbringers even a little better for their stats w the spears they have.

12 hours ago, Lord Krungharr said:

I would love to see a Warhound but with bird feet and big black beak on the front!  Stealthy Warhound :D

The infravisor on my Recon/Sniper Scouts sure came in handy...Night Fight often comes up and ignoring that with snipers is awesome.  That's the only good reason for RG Recon Company I can think of.    I'm kinda struggling with Dark Furies; being 1 wound and so expensive, they're a tough sell when I can bring Deliverers instead.  Deepstriking the Furies could work if there's good position to avoid massive Interceptor fire.   Of course they are some of the coolest looking models!  So it's a shame they have competition.  

Seeing my buddy's World Eater falax blade jumpy guys (forgot what they're called) tear through everyone makes me feel a little jealous of their 2 wounds each as opposed to our 1 wound.  Init 5 though helps sell the Furies....but on paper I like those Blood Angels Dawnbringers even a little better for their stats w the spears they have.

Have another look at the Dark Fury profile. They have two wounds each.

Actually, Dark Furies can do some pretty great/annoying schenanigans with wound allocation. A 10-man squad can take three Choosers of the Slain, who are characters. Wounded characters don't have to be assigned wounds like normal models - you can skip them and wound something else.

This means that if you take a bunch of S7 or less fire that isn't AP2 your choosers can tank it really well. Take saves on one guy till he gets wounded, then move on to the next one. If something like a krak missile (S8 ap3) comes in you can assign it to an already-wounded chooser, since even if he dies you only take one wound. This sort of thing can make the unit much tougher than it appears. Normal guys can tank lascannon shots, perhaps using the RG advanced reaction (or just evading) to avoid some of the damage.

I'm trying to decide whether to add a Chaplain to my own 10-man unit. Hatred and stubborn LD10 are a big deal.

Well, heck, I'm definitely finding points for a couple more Choosers of the Slain!  My jumpy Chaplain is ready; he worked very well with just my normal 20 man assault squad with power lances...wish I'd used him with the Furies when I faced a Dreadnought army several games ago.  They took care of a Contemptor reasonably well, but then kinda whiffed vs the Leviathan.

Another game against Custodes today. I'm in the process of getting a Dread Pod for my leviathan. I'm not sure what I'm going to take to NOVA yet. But I've been working on changing a few things up. My friend wants to try his custodes against the list I took to LVO. I haven't decided if I want to do any last minute changes to the list right now. I think I'll make a couple lists, including Corax just on the off chance he brings Valdor. But otherwise, I'll try and grab some pictures and do another write up this evening//tomorrow post game.

I forgot to grab pictures for this game, however We played BRB mission Scatter Strike with Search and Destroy as the deployment.

My opponent brought

Valdor with Teleporter
A shield captain with Spear

1 Achillus Dreads, with Gravis Power Fist and with dread spear

1 Galatus with sword and shield

1 3 man squads of Custodian Guard, 1 4 man squad both with spears, 1 3 man squad of Sentinels sword and board)

2 4 man squads of Agamatus Jetbikes

1 4 man Sagittarum Guard squad

1 Telemon with Arachnus Storm Cannon & Proteus Plasma Projector.

I brought the exact list I took to LVO.

Custodes are a tough army to deal with, even when it is a low model count the like the list before you. Unless you have ignore cover weapons they just about always have a 5+ cover save if not a 4+ thanks to their inherent Skirmish type, being able to be 3" away from each other rather than 2 for coherency also means they are more readily protected from blast weapons. My opponent won the roll off and elected to deploy first and go first. He set up his army screened by overlaying units and one unit in ruins for a turn 1 4+ cover save against both my plasma squad and my seekers. He outflanked his jetbikes, and set up Valdor in deep strike, along with his dreadnoughts* Side note, it wasn't until after the game that we realized you can only deepstrike infantry units, but it was still a tight game.

I played aggressively with my seekers and librarian. I placed my tactical squad behind them electing to run the unit into my opponent's deployment zone followed by streaming both my contemptors and leviathan dread around the outflank position of his jet bikes. I also congalined my tactical squad along my back edge to detour him from placing his counter along my back table edge. I perched my recon marines in a crows nest on level 2 of some ruins, as well as infiltrated my plasma squad into ruins on a second and third level of terrain in order to gain cover and intercept anything that came within the middle of the board, the Jetbikes I positioned in the middle of my deployment, out of range of his shooting, and in a way they were protected from the dreads.

I did not steal the initiative, and we got night fighting.

Turn 1 he ran 1 3 man spear unit 13" up his right flank, my left, he moved his Sagitariun Guard, spearmen, and sword and board forward to tackle my left flank. He took some several shots at my tactical squad behind my seeker squad with his Sagitariun so that they wouldn't be return fired or possibly pinned by my telepathy librarian. He did however fail his charge my seeker squad with his shield captain and sword and shield squad, and he proceeded to roll a 4 on his leadership check against my pin test. So it was an exact 10. He went in, I put 2 wounds on his shield captain and took 1 spearman out with shooting and leaving a second on 1 wound. I challenged one of his models with my sergeant, sacrificing him to save more damage from spilling over on the unit. We traded blows, I made 5 5+++ feel no pain rolls and lost 1 additional model in combat. My librarian periled on his force strike, but I saved the wound, I wounded the unit 3 times and he failed a 2+ save putting another guard on 1 wound. I lost combat by 1 but rolled double 1s on my break test.

My turn 1 saw little shooting done, the plasma squad failed to wound any of his second spear squad, my tactical squad conga-lined to wrap and protect my seeker squad's back flank, I moved up the speeder squad, took out 1 spearman from the same squad the plasma squad failed to do any damage to, I took some sniper shots at the sagitariun guard and did 1 wound. I played defensively with all three dreads to prepare for both the outflank and deepstrike. 

His turn 2 everything came in. he fell back 11" on Valdor's drop, I intercepted with my plasma squad and pulled 2 wounds off him. the contemptors and telemon game in and basically lit up the plasma squad, leaving me with 4 guys left out of 10. My back line tactical squad was pinned, everything else survived. My second intercept went agains this jetbike squad with my Leviathan killing 2 jetbikes. The telemon's brutal shooting saw 2 land speeders fall. The 4 man jetbike squad assaulted my recon squad, the other 2 assaulted my pinned tactical squad, the contemptors failed their charges on the plasma squad. Recon squad was wiped out, as was the tactical squad that protected my left flank, the back line tactical squad lost 3 guys but I stripped a wound off one of the bikes with my sergeants raven talon and they passed their leadership. Turn 2 saw my own deepstrike come in, I mishapped, so my dark furies were pushed to the back edge of my opponent's board, His Sagitariun used their once per game instant death bullets, but did no damage thanks to a 4++/5+++ shroud. He did this instead of having them crash into his contemptors and kill them all, I congalined my unit back into charge range of his squad. Seekers lost combat, broke but were not caught in the sweeping advance. I had charged my single land speeder into the remaining spearmen, but failed my charge roll for my Deliverers on the same unit. My Furies, chaplain, and Praetor assaulted the Sagitariun, wiped them out, and my last speeder was eaten by S6 AP2 spears. My two contemptors each charged 1 of the jetbike squads, I outright killed the one locked in combat with the tactical squad, the other killed 3 jetbikes but were locked in combat.

His turn 3 he ran his fist dread up into my deployment zone, and the sword one charged my melta dread locked in combat. He did 4 total wounds and I elected to kill the jetbike rather than take more attacks in future rounds. He moved his Telemon around and killed 3 more seekers, He took both spear squads and assaulted my Furies, I held the line to reduce attacks, He did 9 wounds, I had to take 3 on my Praetor, who saved all 3 on his iron halo, I had challenged 1 out with a chooser of the slain, which died promptly. I killed the remainder of the squad except for the challenged model, I ended up losing combat by 1, and I rolled an 11 on a LD 10 stubborn unit. He did not catch me. He also charged his telemon into my seekers, who had to rally, he failed that charge but made it with his captain and sword/shield guy. I ended up actually killing both in my next turn, but the damage was done.

In my turn 3 my furies rallied, but I was down to 5 total models, not enough to handle Valdor. I ran my tacticals up to flank my contemptors from Valdor's fury, I moved my 4 remaining plasma guns up against Valdor, I did 3 wounds, he saved them all, returned fire and I lost 2 more. My plasma dread assaulted the Galatus combat locked dread, I took 4 more wounds off of it, but saw my own melta-gun contemptor dropped down to 1 wound thanks to the sword's instant death special rule. We ended up calling it there, as I would not be able to rally and kill enough of his dreads to stop him from out scoring me. I did learn a lot from the game though, I felt like my army held up very well, my Leviathan may have been able to make it into combat by the end of turn 6 but it would've been an uphill battle with majority weapon skill 6+ on three sepearate units. 

Here's a general strategy for dealing with outflank that raven guard can really take advantage of: infiltrate around the flanking assault marker.

It's placed before infiltrators, so you can toss a tac squad on it. The unit can be about a 14" line spanning both sides of the marker; you basically just want to block their path to get on the board even after the 6" reposition. Anti grav doesn't get the permission to hop over models, so even jetbikes get blocked and get stuck in reserves, where...the rules aren't the most clear. Either they go into normal reserves and come from the controlling player edge (and can't charge on arrival), or they try to come from the marker and keep on getting blocked until they die automatically. Normally this move is a bit risky because they can just shoot you, but Custodes shooting is notoriously close range, which helps a lot. Cutting 8 bikes (700 points!) out of the game until either turn 4 or permanently is well worth the trade of the tactical squad or two needed to lock them in IMO.

Nobody near me has the Custodes, they sound TOUGH.  I like gold but don't want to get a new book any time soon.

Thanks, Skimask, for that excellent tactical know-how!  I knew I needed another tac squad for the RG, but didn't quite know why.  I forgot about the Flanking markers.  That's a pretty big deal, and I'll need to figure that out for my Space Wolves too.

• 1 month later...

So my cunning plan for Warhammer fest has failed due to the lack of sky hunter squadrons available so having to do some last-minute messing round.

This is what I have come up with using what I have painted/available/time to paint

The apoc will be with one of the infiltrating tact squads, hopefully onto the objective

XIX: Raven Guard

Allegiance: Loyalist

+ Rite of War: +

Rite of War: Decapitation Strike (RG)
Rules: Decapitation Strike

+ HQ: [385Pts] +

Centurion [95Pts]
Master of Signals [60Pts]: Artificer Armour
Rules: Grenades, Independent Character, Relentless
Bolt Pistol
Chainsword: Chainsword
Rules: Shred
Master of Signals [35Pts]
Rules: Night Vision, Strategic Comms

Centurion [115Pts]
Vigilator [80Pts]: Artificer Armour, Infravisor [10Pts], Nemesis Bolter [10Pts]
Rules: Grenades, Independent Character, Night Vision, Pinning, Relentless, Rending (5+), Sniper
Bolt Pistol
Vigilator [35Pts]
Rules: Armourbane (Melta), Detonation, Instant Death, Marked For Death, Master Sniper, Master-crafted, Pinning, Rending (5+), Sniper, Unwieldy

Praetor [175Pts]: The Hidden Hand, Warlord
Rules: Bulky (2 or 3), Deep Strike, Jump Pack
Legion Praetor [175Pts]: Artificer Armour, Corvid Pattern Jump Pack [30Pts], Pair of Raven's Talons [25Pts]
Rules: Bulky (2 or 3), Deep Strike, Grenades, Independent Character, Jump Pack, Master of the Legion, Relentless, Rending (5+), Shred, Specialist Weapon

+ Elites: [1,395Pts] +

Apothecarion Detachment [45Pts]
Rules: Apothecarion Detachment, Legiones Astartes (Raven Guard)
Apothecary [45Pts]: Bolt Pistol, Power Armour
Rules: Grenades

Contemptor Dreadnought Talon [610Pts]
Contemptor Dreadnought [225Pts]: Gravis Lascannon [20Pts], Gravis Lascannon [20Pts], Helical Targeting Array [10Pts]
Rules: Dreadnought Talon, Dreadnought Unit-type, Fearless, Sunder
Contemptor Dreadnought [195Pts]: Gravis Plasma Cannon [10Pts], Gravis Power Fist  with in-built ranged weapon, Plasma Blaster [10Pts]
Rules: Blast, Breaching (4+), Breaching (X), Brutal (3), Dreadnought Talon, Dreadnought Unit-type, Fearless, Gets Hot
Contemptor Dreadnought [190Pts]: Combi-Bolter, Gravis Power Fist  with in-built ranged weapon, Kheres Assault Cannon [15Pts]
Rules: Brutal (3), Dreadnought Talon, Dreadnought Unit-type, Fearless, Rending (6+), Twin-linked

Deliverers Squad [545Pts]
Rules: Battle-hardened (1), Bulky (2), Corax's Shame, Deep Strike, Heavy Sub-type, Relentless, Stubborn
 Deliverer Chieftain [15Pts]: Chainfist [15Pts], Combi-Bolter
Rules: Armourbane (Melee), Twin-linked, Unwieldy
Deliverer [55Pts]: Chainfist [15Pts], Combi-Bolter
6x Deliverer w/Pair of Raven's Talons [300Pts]: 6x Pair of Raven's Talons
Rules: Rending (5+), Shred, Specialist Weapon

Mor Deythan Squad [195Pts]
Rules: Fatal Strike, Grenades, Legiones Astartes (Raven Guard), Relentless, Scout, Skirmish Sub-type
 Mor Deythan Shade [25Pts]: Artificer Armour [10Pts], Chainsword, Infravisor [10Pts], Nemesis Bolter [5Pts]
Rules: Night Vision, Pinning, Rending (5+), Shred, Sniper
Mor Deythan [30Pts]: Chainsword, Nemesis Bolter [5Pts]
Rules: Pinning, Rending (5+), Shred, Sniper

+ Troops: [610Pts] +

Tactical Squad [140Pts]
Rules: Fury of the Legion, Grenades, Heart of the Legion, Line Sub-type
 Legion Tactical Sergeant [12Pts]: Artificer Armour [10Pts], Bolt Pistol, Bolter, Chain Bayonet [2Pts]
Rules: Shred, Two-handed
8x  Legionaries (collective) [96Pts]: 8x Bolt Pistol, 8x Bolter, 8x Chain Bayonet [16Pts]
Legionary w/ Options: [22Pts]: Bolt Pistol, Bolter, Chain Bayonet [2Pts], Legion Vexilla [10Pts]

Tactical Squad [140Pts]
Rules: Fury of the Legion, Grenades, Heart of the Legion, Line Sub-type
 Legion Tactical Sergeant [12Pts]: Artificer Armour [10Pts], Bolt Pistol, Bolter, Chain Bayonet [2Pts]
8x  Legionaries (collective) [96Pts]: 8x Bolt Pistol, 8x Bolter, 8x Chain Bayonet [16Pts]
Legionary w/ Options: [22Pts]: Bolt Pistol, Bolter, Chain Bayonet [2Pts], Legion Vexilla [10Pts]

Tactical Support Squad [330Pts]: Meltagun [150Pts]
Rules: Armourbane (Melta), Grenades, Support Squad
 Legion Tactical Support Sergeant: Bolt Pistol, Power Armour
9x Legionaries (collective) [108Pts]: 9x Bolt Pistol
Rhino Transport [35Pts]
Rules: Infantry Transport, Repair, Twin-linked

+ Fast Attack: [305Pts] +

Dark Furies [305Pts]: 7x Dark Furies [175Pts]
Rules: Bulky (2 or 3), Deep Strike, Grenades, Jump Pack, Precision Strikes (6+), Rending (5+), Shred, Specialist Weapon, Sudden Strike (1)
3x Chooser of the Slain [120Pts]: 3x Artificer Armour

+ Heavy Support: [305Pts] +

Heavy Support Squad [305Pts]: Lascannon [100Pts]
Rules: Grenades, Sunder
 Legion Support Sergeant [20Pts]: Artificer Armour [10Pts], Bolt Pistol, Infravisor [10Pts]
Rules: Night Vision
8x Legionaries (collective) [120Pts]: 8x Bolt Pistol
Legionary w/ Options [25Pts]: Bolt Pistol, Legion Vexilla [10Pts]

• 2 weeks later...

GW reeeeeallllllyyy needs an app for 40k and 30k already.  NOT THAT HARD GW.  I mean these are games set in the far future, and we still have to use Notepad to make lists.  Age of Sigmar has 2 ways to build armies digitally and they still use bows and arrows!

Edited by Lord Krungharr

Hey guys, considering dipping my toes into the Raven Guard, I played 1st Edition as Word Bearers but I'm pretty much starting from scratch now.

I was wondering how people were expanding from the Age of Darkness box but also what they were doing with certain bits in the box,

It looks like 2 squads of 20 tacticals, 10 cataphractii built as deliverers and the dreadnought kitted out for shooting is a good shout but the characters I'm not sure what to do with, as well as the Spartan.

I've seen a lot of love for Dark Furies and Mor Dethyn with the combi-volkite which I'm guessing you have to go with a third party for the weapons which is fine but what are people doing for the 3rd Chooser of the Slain in a unit of Dark Furies as the kit only comes with one per 5.

Sorry if I'm asking absolutely noob questions, it just seems more difficult to get a decent foundation for Raven Guard than other Legions.

You are not wrong, the Flesh over Steel legions don't necessarily benefit from all of the content of the starter box.  However, with respect to the lore, the Raven Guard definitely would run loads of Mk. VI so you've got that going for you.

R.E. Dark Furies, paint a helmet white for the third Chooser of the Slain would be the easiest option.  

R.E. Mor Deythan, I would be super tempted to convert them from the Mk. VI plastic marines.  Bitz sites might be able to top up you with Combi-Volkites as well as third party designs (both metal and 3d printed).  It'll also be a lot cheaper going this route that buying the Forge World models.

I hope this helps and I'm sure others will chip in too!

18 hours ago, tikhunt said:

Hey guys, considering dipping my toes into the Raven Guard, I played 1st Edition as Word Bearers but I'm pretty much starting from scratch now.

I was wondering how people were expanding from the Age of Darkness box but also what they were doing with certain bits in the box,

It looks like 2 squads of 20 tacticals, 10 cataphractii built as deliverers and the dreadnought kitted out for shooting is a good shout but the characters I'm not sure what to do with, as well as the Spartan.

I've seen a lot of love for Dark Furies and Mor Dethyn with the combi-volkite which I'm guessing you have to go with a third party for the weapons which is fine but what are people doing for the 3rd Chooser of the Slain in a unit of Dark Furies as the kit only comes with one per 5.

Sorry if I'm asking absolutely noob questions, it just seems more difficult to get a decent foundation for Raven Guard than other Legions.

I might hold off on the Mor Deythan squad.  They're very expensive for what they do as they can only do it once.  Then they become a 2-wound Despoiler Squad after that for the most part.  Dark Furies and Deliverers though are top performers in my admittedly limited Raven Guard history thus far.  If you're up for conversions, making some Recon Marines with Nemesis sniper bolters is a good idea....another RG brother here recommended them with an infravisor to ignore Night Fight rules, and that proved excellent, even if they have redundant rules regarding deployment.  

I turned my Mor-Deythan into recon snipers. Combi-volkite is over-rated.

To answer the dark furies, just take the respirator head from the MK VI kit and viola Chooser. Unless you just want to cheese hard, I wouldn't take more than 1 squad of furies.

For my AoD box I didn't use the spartan or the consuls. I built my own out of 40k death watch characters/bits and did a head swap on Korvydae. Otherwise 20 total tactical marines, worked on several old Assault Marines I had lying around from 40k, and made a seeker squad out of the Space Marine Heroes. I also just used proteus Land speeders from 40k, that I had boxed up for ages.

Even starting from scratch I would probably grab Cypher, shave off the DA iconography, clip off the sword and boom you got Vex.

It all depends on what you are wanting to do with your army.

3 hours ago, Dont-Be-Haten said:

I turned my Mor-Deythan into recon snipers. Combi-volkite is over-rated.

To answer the dark furies, just take the respirator head from the MK VI kit and viola Chooser. Unless you just want to cheese hard, I wouldn't take more than 1 squad of furies.

For my AoD box I didn't use the spartan or the consuls. I built my own out of 40k death watch characters/bits and did a head swap on Korvydae. Otherwise 20 total tactical marines, worked on several old Assault Marines I had lying around from 40k, and made a seeker squad out of the Space Marine Heroes. I also just used proteus Land speeders from 40k, that I had boxed up for ages.

Even starting from scratch I would probably grab Cypher, shave off the DA iconography, clip off the sword and boom you got Vex.

It all depends on what you are wanting to do with your army.

Combi-Volkite is definately not "overrated", don't know, what you're talking about. Oo

A squad of ten averages 17 AP2 wounds (about 22 with PE in play), not counting regular/deflagrate wounds. Name one unit, that averages the same amount for under 350pts. Even a 10 man Plasma Support Squad needs atleast 3 shooting attacks to reach that number.

I can only think of a 5 "man" unit of Plasma Fusil Myrmidons which  do admittedly get alot ap3 alongside, but also need atleast 2 shooting attacks for the amount of AP2 - and how often do you think, one will face them?

But i do think, they are a often a bit overkill. ^^

In general, CombiVolkite is the best option, thanks to being one of the cheapest upgrades and being a minor combiweapon (so no one-use).

CombiPlasma, though being the more expensive upgrade and less usefull after Fatal Strike(s) may proof more effective for some playstyles - as they practically allow for two "Fatal Strike" phases.

Edited by MichaelCarmine

Lots of genuinely great advice thanks. I like the RoW which gives preferred enemy independent characters but am a bit worried about a lack of anti-armour punch. I figure 2 multi-meltas and a couple of chainfists in a 10 man deliverer squad is a good start. I'm guessing without many heavy support slots then relying on a contemptor talon with lascannons is the way to go?

11 hours ago, tikhunt said:

Lots of genuinely great advice thanks. I like the RoW which gives preferred enemy independent characters but am a bit worried about a lack of anti-armour punch. I figure 2 multi-meltas and a couple of chainfists in a 10 man deliverer squad is a good start. I'm guessing without many heavy support slots then relying on a contemptor talon with lascannons is the way to go?

In my experience, a unit of 10 Deliverers is overkill. 5 with Chainfists is more than enough.

If you are really worried about antiarmour, take a Meltalance Leviatahan in a droppod.

That not only helps with a more precise deep strike in general, your opponent also has to deal with a Leviathan in its face, combined with Deliverers and Dark Furies. That often leads to a RG win by the end of Turn 2, since Deep Strike is so powerfull this edition. ^^

That's why i've started to use less Deep Strike in my lists, its just too good, especially with RG.

Even when the enemy uses a Master of Signals, i just infiltrate Nex(i love that dude) next to him and end him turn 1 xD

Edit: Also - Lascannon Castraferrum dreads. They're brutal little murder-boxes...

Edited by MichaelCarmine