Here was my list for ATC

++ Crusade Force Organisation Chart (LA - XIX: Raven Guard) [1,998Pts] ++

XIX: Raven Guard

Allegiance: Loyalist

+ Rite of War: Decapitation Strike+

Rite of War

+ HQ: +

Praetor [190Pts]: The Hidden Hand, Warlord

. Legion Praetor: Artificer Armour, Corvid Pattern Jump Pack, Nemesis Bolter, 2x Raven's Talon

+ Troops: +

Assault Squad [180Pts]

.  Legion Assault Sergeant: Artificer Armour, Bolt Pistol, Power Fist
. 7x  Legionaries (collective): 7x Bolt Pistol, 7x Chainsword
. Legionary w/ Options: Bolt Pistol, Power Maul
. Legionary w/ Options: Bolt Pistol, Power Maul

Reconnaissance Squad [255Pts]

.  Legion Recon Sergeant: Bolt Pistol, Infravisor, Nemesis Bolter
.  Recon Legionary: Bolt Pistol, Nemesis Bolter

Tactical Squad [163Pts]

.  Legion Tactical Sergeant: Artificer Armour, Bolt Pistol, Bolter, Power Fist
. 7x  Legionaries (collective): 7x Bolt Pistol, 7x Bolter, 7x Chain Bayonet
. Legionary w/ Options:: Augury Scanner, Bolt Pistol, Bolter, Chain Bayonet
. Legionary w/ Options:: Bolt Pistol, Bolter, Chain Bayonet, Nuncio-Vox

Tactical Support Squad [275Pts]: Plasma Gun

.  Legion Tactical Support Sergeant: Artificer Armour, Bolt Pistol, Infravisor
. 8x Legionaries (collective): 8x Bolt Pistol
. Legionary w/ Options: Augury Scanner, Bolt Pistol

+ Fast Attack: +

Dark Furies [305Pts]: 7x Dark Furies

. 3x Chooser of the Slain: 3x Artificer Armour

Proteus Land Speeder Squadron [255Pts]

. Proteus Land Speeder: Bolt Pistol, Heavy Bolter, Multi-Melta

+ Heavy Support: +

Kratos Squadron [375Pts]

. Kratos: 2x Lascannons, Flare Shield, Hull (Front, Right/Left) Mounted Heavy Bolters, Melta Blast-Gun

++ Total: [1,998Pts] ++

Here was my team mates

++ Crusade Force Organisation Chart (LA - XIII: Ultramarines) [2,000Pts] ++

+ Allegiance: Loyalist +

XIII: Ultramarines

Allegiance: Loyalist

+ Rite of War: None +

+ HQ: +

Centurion [115Pts]: (Chaplain) Master craft one weapon to represent a Crozius Arcanum, Chaplain, The Burden of Kings (Loyalist only), Warlord

. Chaplain: Artificer Armour

. . Bolt Pistol

. . Power Weapon: Legatine Axe

Centurion [95Pts]

. Master of Signals: Artificer Armour

. . Bolt Pistol

. . Chainsword: Chainsword

. Master of Signals

+ Elites: +

Contemptor Dreadnought Talon [180Pts]

. Contemptor Dreadnought: Combi-Bolter, Gravis Melta Cannon, Gravis Power Fist with in-built ranged weapon

Fulmentarus Terminator Squad [345Pts]

. Fulmentarus Decurion: Power Sword

. 5x Fulmentarus Terminator w/Power Axe: 5x Combi-Bolter, 5x Power Axe

Invictarus Suzerain Squad [375Pts]

. 5x Suzerain w/Bolt Pistol & Legatine Axe: 5x Bolt Pistol, 5x Legatine Axe

. 5x Suzerain w/Bolt Pistol & Thunder Hammer: 5x Bolt Pistol, 5x Thunder Hammer

+ Troops: +

Tactical Squad [145Pts]

. Legion Tactical Sergeant: Bolt Pistol, Bolter, Power Armour

. . Power Weapon: Power Sword

. 9x Legionaries (collective): 9x Bolt Pistol, 9x Bolter

. Rhino Transport

Tactical Squad [145Pts]

. Legion Tactical Sergeant: Bolt Pistol, Bolter, Power Armour

. . Power Weapon: Power Sword

. 9x Legionaries (collective): 9x Bolt Pistol, 9x Bolter

. Rhino Transport

+ Heavy Support: +

Heavy Support Squad [225Pts]

. Legion Support Sergeant: Bolt Pistol, Power Armour

. 9x Legionaries (collective): 9x Bolt Pistol

. Missile Launcher (with frag, krak and flak missiles)

Land Raider Spartan [375Pts]

. Land Raider Spartan: 2x Lascannon Array, Hull (Front) Mounted Twin-linked Lascannon

++ Total: [2,000Pts] ++

It was 4k per side and each player had to put a minimum of 500 points into reserves at the start of each game.

Our first game was against Al and Mike who played Death Guard and Word Bearers.

Al's death guard were awesome, he had several Heavy support options, a huge brick of Breachers, a contemptor, and then Praetor with retinue. Mike fielded an impressive field of Gal Vorbak, some Tactical squads, 2 contemptors a dark chaplain and dark praetor upgrade.

It was a really weird game, we gentleman's agreemented both of us picking War of Lies as our primary mission, because it seemed more fun. The game over all was very brutal, and weird. Neither sides reserves came in until turn 3~4. I fluffed so many dangerous terrain checks on my assault marines charging into a heavy volkite squad that was pinned. 3 jumpy boys all broke their ankles upon impact.

My team mates missile Launcher squad was shot off the board turn 1. And my plasma squad was fairly un remarkable until about turn 3. Mostly because of LoS and gets hot rolls blowing themselves up.

We did end the game with a win.

Game 2 was Mace and Greg, with Death Guard and Dark Mechanicum. 

This game was more dubious. I don't have my notes on hand to really go through a turn by turn, but notable parts of the game are me deepstriking assault marines and dark furies into the back line, only for 3 assault marines & 4 dark furies (with 4+ invuls!) To die because of dangerous terrain checks.

We ended up winning by a large margin. In turn 4 and called it.

I'll post more later as I think of things, I'll also go back to the first two games as I don't have my notes, which I thought I had brought along.

• 3 weeks later...

Something taking Heresy by storm is a magos prime in astartes with sworn brothers with mechanicum.

Deliverer's on a 4+ battlesmith roll gets a 14" movement, and can still charge, making a turn 1 charge viable.

15 deliverers slingshotting up the board is absolutely insane.

11 hours ago, Dont-Be-Haten said:

Something taking Heresy by storm is a magos prime in astartes with sworn brothers with mechanicum.

Deliverer's on a 4+ battlesmith roll gets a 14" movement, and can still charge, making a turn 1 charge viable.

15 deliverers slingshotting up the board is absolutely insane.

That cannot work, because unless otherwise stated, all effects of the Tecjno-Arcana rules must be applied to models of the same detachment, that the Model with the special rule is a part of.

Also - why try to massacre the spirit of the game with such a ridiculous rules-combo, instead of just using 14" jumping Dark Furies, which also get a 3" charge bonus? ^^

14 minutes ago, MichaelCarmine said:

That cannot work, because unless otherwise stated, all effects of the Tecjno-Arcana rules must be applied to models of the same detachment, that the Model with the special rule is a part of.

Also - why try to massacre the spirit of the game with such a ridiculous rules-combo, instead of just using 14" jumping Dark Furies, which also get a 3" charge bonus? ^^

Idk man something the UK is doing.

The way I understand it; is they put it on the Magos Prime himself, since he's infantry, and then he allows the entirety of the unit to benefit from his movement buff.

Edited by Dont-Be-Haten

10 minutes ago, Dont-Be-Haten said:

Idk man something the UK is doing.

The way I understand it; is they put it on the Magos Prime himself, since he's infantry, and then he allows the entirety of the unit to benefit from his movement buff.

Also wouldn't work - the rule states, that the Battlesmith-Model can try to apply that to a unit including a model in base contact with the Battlesmith. I maybe blind, but i don't see anywhere, that the Battlesmith-Model can apply the buff on itself - he could apply that to a unit of the same detachment, that he has joined though.

So you'd need an additional Independent Charakter Battlesmith model to pull that off on 4+, which i do not think Mechanicum has outside of HQ, since you are only allowed one HQ in an Allied Detachment.

So you would be stuck with a what? A Battlesmith 5+ Magos Auxilia for 90pts? That would bump the tax up to 245pts + upgrades + Troop-Choice...

All that for a 1/3 Chance to pull that off? 

And again, i don't know about you, but i wouldn't want to play against someone trying to making use of such pathetic combos...

This is Heresy, not 40k! ^^

1 hour ago, MichaelCarmine said:

Also wouldn't work - the rule states, that the Battlesmith-Model can try to apply that to a unit including a model in base contact with the Battlesmith. I maybe blind, but i don't see anywhere, that the Battlesmith-Model can apply the buff on itself - he could apply that to a unit of the same detachment, that he has joined though.

So you'd need an additional Independent Charakter Battlesmith model to pull that off on 4+, which i do not think Mechanicum has outside of HQ, since you are only allowed one HQ in an Allied Detachment.

So you would be stuck with a what? A Battlesmith 5+ Magos Auxilia for 90pts? That would bump the tax up to 245pts + upgrades + Troop-Choice...

All that for a 1/3 Chance to pull that off? 

And again, i don't know about you, but i wouldn't want to play against someone trying to making use of such pathetic combos...

This is Heresy, not 40k! ^^

I agree. I wouldn't play it. I'd rather just deepstrike in 15 deliverers and multi charge a bunch of stuff.

Edited by Dont-Be-Haten

A lot of people are tricked into thinking all the ICs stuff gets shared and stacked with the unit they join, but that's not the case. They share whatever usr says it shares, and some subtypes/usrs tell you to look at individual models, but it doesn't actually change anything with the overarching unit.

This sentence kinda lays it out:

While an Independent Character is part of a unit, they count as part of the unit for all rules purposes, though they still follow the rules for Characters.

A praetor attached to tacs isn't a legion praetor+legion tactical squad unit with the Emperor children and Iron hands factions; it's a Legion tactical squad unit from the iron hands faction.  They're part of the unit for all rules

• 2 weeks later...

It's the Opus Viscera rule they are using. It just says pick a base contact unit that's all infantry. This is how it is justified. And legal apparently (Doesn't make it right).

Super cheesy! But legal non-the-less if you are just wanting to beat your friends brains out. Invest in a magos and enjoy a 50% chance to slingshot your delivers up the field for a turn 1 charge.

Screenshot_20230904_204210_Drive.thumb.jpg.d3a33af623fd5d75bee2eacd3611df4e.jpg

Edited by Dont-Be-Haten

16 hours ago, Dont-Be-Haten said:

It's the Opus Viscera rule they are using. It just says pick a base contact unit that's all infantry. This is how it is justified. And legal apparently (Doesn't make it right).

Super cheesy! But legal non-the-less if you are just wanting to beat your friends brains out. Invest in a magos and enjoy a 50% chance to slingshot your delivers up the field for a turn 1 charge.

Screenshot_20230904_204210_Drive.thumb.jpg.d3a33af623fd5d75bee2eacd3611df4e.jpg

I’d argue that the section on the previous page regarding valid targets of the techno arcana abilities would prevent it effecting models from a different detatchment. Nothing in the lacyraemarta techno arcana specifically mentions being able to effect models outside the detatchment.

image.jpeg

10 hours ago, Dont-Be-Haten said:

It's the Opus Viscera. It's clearly legal RAW.

I don’t see how that is the case, here is how I understand it in the context of the rules regarding the orders of high techno-arcana as presented on page 98 of liber mechanicum

Each High Techno-arcana (of which Lacyraemarta is one of) upgrade grants the model a number of additional special rules or items of additional Wargear. (The opus viscera rule is clearly one of the special rules granted through taking the Lacyraemarta Techno arcana.)

Unless otherwise stated as part of the High Techno-arcana’s rules, all effects must be applied to models and units that are selected as part of the Detachment that contains a model with that High Techno-arcana. (Again as I stated above Opus viscera is clearly a special rule granted by the Lacyraemarta techno-arcana and therefore subject to this restriction) 

As for Opus Viscera itself:

If a model with the Battlesmith (X) special rule in a Detachment that includes a model with this special rule is in base contact with at least one model in a unit comprised of only models with the Infantry Unit Type during the Shooting phase, they can attempt to enhance that unit instead of making
a Shooting Attack. Roll a D6. If the result is equal to or more than the value listed in brackets as part of the Battlesmith (X) rule, then one of the following effects may be applied to the unit this model is in base contact with:
- Restore a lost Wound. This will not return a model that has been previously removed from the battle.
- The unit may immediately move a number of inches equal to twice the Initiative Characteristic of the majority of models in the unit. This movement is not Running, and therefore, if the unit did not Run in the Movement phase, it may still make Shooting Attacks and declare a Charge as normal for the remainder of the turn.

that is the entire rule for opera viscera, now I can see how some argue that since Opera Viscera only mentions that the target of the effect must be 1. In base contact and 2. Comprised only of infantry models that you could apply to models from an allied detachment however the section on High Techno Arcana on page 98 is very clear that unless otherwise stated as part of the techno-arcana’s rules, All effects (this includes not just the Battlesmith unit using the rule but also since the benefit of a succesful role is clearly stated to be an effect) must be applied to models and units that are selected as part of the detachment that contains a model with that techno arcana, and no where is it explicitly stated within the opera viscera rule that it can effect models from outside the detachment. Therefore you cannot use the Opus Viscera rule which is granted by the Lacyraemarta techno arcana to grant either of the effects to models from outside of the detachment in which the model with Lacyraemarta techno arcana resides, so no turn one charging Marines, custodes, sisters or even militia from using this rule.

Unless you’re seeing something I’m not, or seeing a different interpretation of the rules I cannot see how It’s very clearly RAW

3 hours ago, Eternal Despair said:

I don’t see how that is the case, here is how I understand it in the context of the rules regarding the orders of high techno-arcana as presented on page 98 of liber mechanicum

Each High Techno-arcana (of which Lacyraemarta is one of) upgrade grants the model a number of additional special rules or items of additional Wargear. (The opus viscera rule is clearly one of the special rules granted through taking the Lacyraemarta Techno arcana.)

Unless otherwise stated as part of the High Techno-arcana’s rules, all effects must be applied to models and units that are selected as part of the Detachment that contains a model with that High Techno-arcana. (Again as I stated above Opus viscera is clearly a special rule granted by the Lacyraemarta techno-arcana and therefore subject to this restriction) 

As for Opus Viscera itself:

If a model with the Battlesmith (X) special rule in a Detachment that includes a model with this special rule is in base contact with at least one model in a unit comprised of only models with the Infantry Unit Type during the Shooting phase, they can attempt to enhance that unit instead of making
a Shooting Attack. Roll a D6. If the result is equal to or more than the value listed in brackets as part of the Battlesmith (X) rule, then one of the following effects may be applied to the unit this model is in base contact with:
- Restore a lost Wound. This will not return a model that has been previously removed from the battle.
- The unit may immediately move a number of inches equal to twice the Initiative Characteristic of the majority of models in the unit. This movement is not Running, and therefore, if the unit did not Run in the Movement phase, it may still make Shooting Attacks and declare a Charge as normal for the remainder of the turn.

that is the entire rule for opera viscera, now I can see how some argue that since Opera Viscera only mentions that the target of the effect must be 1. In base contact and 2. Comprised only of infantry models that you could apply to models from an allied detachment however the section on High Techno Arcana on page 98 is very clear that unless otherwise stated as part of the techno-arcana’s rules, All effects (this includes not just the Battlesmith unit using the rule but also since the benefit of a succesful role is clearly stated to be an effect) must be applied to models and units that are selected as part of the detachment that contains a model with that techno arcana, and no where is it explicitly stated within the opera viscera rule that it can effect models from outside the detachment. Therefore you cannot use the Opus Viscera rule which is granted by the Lacyraemarta techno arcana to grant either of the effects to models from outside of the detachment in which the model with Lacyraemarta techno arcana resides, so no turn one charging Marines, custodes, sisters or even militia from using this rule.

Unless you’re seeing something I’m not, or seeing a different interpretation of the rules I cannot see how It’s very clearly RAW

He has 2 separate abilities that give the bonuses. 

The wording on each is specifically different. One says b2b with an infantry unit, the other adds the mechanicum stipulations. 

Page 95 vs page 100 in the mechanicum book Is a good example.

Ultimately it comes down to your TO at events. Play it however you want at home.

Screenshot_20230910_131333_Drive.jpg

Edited by Dont-Be-Haten
Edit: added book pages.

6 minutes ago, Dont-Be-Haten said:

He has 2 separate abilities that give the bonuses. And the wording on each is specifically different.

Yeah, but neither ability says they ignore the restriction from the over-arching Techno-Arcana rule. If it doesn’t explicitly call out an exemption from the Techno-Arcana rule (which it doesn’t), then it can still only affect models from the same detachment, surely?

21 hours ago, General Zodd said:

Yeah, but neither ability says they ignore the restriction from the over-arching Techno-Arcana rule. If it doesn’t explicitly call out an exemption from the Techno-Arcana rule (which it doesn’t), then it can still only affect models from the same detachment, surely?

Idk man, that's how they are playing it in the UK. I think they allowed it, and played it that way at Warhammer World recently. It's just now reached the states, and I've asked some of the major EOs here, for their thoughts and restrictions on it for things like Adepticon and the LVO.

So I will leave it up to the EOs and their interpretations. I don't really think it's a combo worth playing at home with friends, just a very strong tactic to be used in tournaments/events.

Edited by Dont-Be-Haten
Added words

2 hours ago, Dont-Be-Haten said:

Idk man, that's how they are playing it in the UK. I think they allowed it, and played it that way at Warhammer World recently. It's just now reached the states, and I've asked some of the major EOs here, for their thoughts and restrictions on it for things like Adepticon and the LVO.

So I will leave it up to the EOs and their interpretations. I don't really think it's a combo worth playing at home with friends, just a very strong tactic to be used in tournaments/events.

Jeez, i thought we cleared that already?!? 

The Orders of high Techno-arcana:

"...Unless otherwose stated as part of the High Techno-arcana's rule, all effects must be applied to models and units that are selected as part of the Detachment that contains a model with that High Techno-arcana."

Lacyraemarta:

- Opus Viscera:

"...one of the following effects may be applied to the unit this model is in base contact with:..."

In what world isn't that crystal clear?!? There is no room for discussion!

And arguing, that "that's how they are playing it in the UK" is a really weak argument. 

I've seen plenty of UK-based Youtube batreps, many of them are a pleasure to watch, but i've yet to see one batrep, where they get their rules right... xD

3 hours ago, MichaelCarmine said:

"...Unless otherwose stated as part of the High Techno-arcana's rule, all effects must be applied to models and units that are selected as part of the Detachment that contains a model with that High Techno-arcana."

Lacyraemarta:

- Opus Viscera:

"...one of the following effects may be applied to the unit this model is in base contact with:..."

And arguing, that "that's how they are playing it in the UK" is a really weak argument. 

I've seen plenty of UK-based Youtube batreps, many of them are a pleasure to watch, but i've yet to see one batrep, where they get their rules right... xD

It's not just making a mistake, it's making an assumption and then doubling down on it regardless of what the rules actually say. The other week ago in Crusade and Heresy there was a big "controversy" about Iron warriors blasts getting +1 str when targeting a dread/vehicle but overlapping infantry; people were losing their minds about the implications and making all sorts of ironic counter examples to deride the idea of getting the knock-on bonus strength, and yet the rules for targeting are crystal clear. 

It's not all British players or anything that ridiculous, but there's a very clear group of players from there that just...refuse to open their books and read the passages that contradict their take. Similar to a couple of users on this forum lol.

6 hours ago, MichaelCarmine said:

Lacyraemarta:

- Opus Viscera:

Barefoot miniatures has a batrep up where they play the rule the wrong way.

I don't have a desire to play it, I just watched it played recently. I brought it up here because of the way it was presented to me, and I agree with you. I'm just explaining how the consensus rebuttal to me was. I've asked other people especially TOs/EOs what their thoughts are on it.

13 hours ago, SkimaskMohawk said:

It's not just making a mistake, it's making an assumption and then doubling down on it regardless of what the rules actually say. The other week ago in Crusade and Heresy there was a big "controversy" about Iron warriors blasts getting +1 str when targeting a dread/vehicle but overlapping infantry; people were losing their minds about the implications and making all sorts of ironic counter examples to deride the idea of getting the knock-on bonus strength, and yet the rules for targeting are crystal clear. 

It's not all British players or anything that ridiculous, but there's a very clear group of players from there that just...refuse to open their books and read the passages that contradict their take. Similar to a couple of users on this forum lol.

Yeah, i've seen that... as an Iron Warriors player myself, i'd like to Backhand any Iron-Brother, who really thinks, that this is how the rule is written and intended... xD

So while we’re all here: has anyone been playing their XIXth in ZM?

I’m looking at either expanding the units I have for shattered legion/rewards of treachery into a larger force, or possibly doing outcast Terran XIXth/proto-Carcharodons. My group plays primarily Zone Mortalis and as I was looking at the RG rules more closely I was realizing how poorly that game mode plays to their strengths in larger games.

It seems like the infiltration  would be seriously badass in ZM, even though you lose all the great Deepstrike bonuses. 
Anyone had any luck?

1 hour ago, Ripper.McGuirl said:

So while we’re all here: has anyone been playing their XIXth in ZM?

I’m looking at either expanding the units I have for shattered legion/rewards of treachery into a larger force, or possibly doing outcast Terran XIXth/proto-Carcharodons. My group plays primarily Zone Mortalis and as I was looking at the RG rules more closely I was realizing how poorly that game mode plays to their strengths in larger games.

It seems like the infiltration  would be seriously badass in ZM, even though you lose all the great Deepstrike bonuses. 
Anyone had any luck?

I have had some poor experiences in ZM. Deep striking Deliverers is too risky with the terrain we have. But I do think they shine there.

Your reserve points are taken away quickly though, so you have to be very careful in selecting your units. Infiltrating in ZM always feel like a trap, especially against certain opponents. The normal things that make us strong are dampened by how ZM changes the game. 

the last few I've played at events have people bringing a single Leviathan because of the smaller board style and is legal in the new SoC rules.

This is also where template and blast weapons shine, and I don't really have a lot of options to benefit from this style of play.

• 4 months later...

We turn the page on LVO and now I'm prepping for Adepticon. I've been working over another list that is different from the standard Raven Guard List. LVO showed you can win with pretty much any generic army build; though sometimes it is more difficult to do so. I do believe my goal is to do another generic list building upon the strengths of a Decap Strike. Though if I had the time I'd build a Pride of the Legion lists with Tartaros and Raven Talons. A very expensive, but fun unit in theory is running a veteran squad with Raven Talons, a Thunder hammer and 2 melta guns; for infiltrating up and nuking something, while still having a strong counter strike and 2 wound models. It's a lot of points though.

One of my favorite event exclusive units right now is being able to customize your Praetor into a consul. Both LVO and Adpeticon will utilize it. Thematically I've build a Moritat Praetor with dual archeotech pistols. It's pretty much the only broken unit I'll run; everything else will be generic mid tier shooting.

Edited by Dont-Be-Haten

Awesome!

I think adding some variation to praetors is a fun idea. It feels like there’s very little personality to then as written, and being able to say, lead a recon company with a praetor vigilator, makes perfect sense to me.

I look forward to your reports!