The Ravenspire: XIXth Legion Tactica

Slips

No one in my Group is bringing flyers.  I have an event we are doing in November for "Tanksgiving" and I am thinking about throwing a Storm Eagle full of Terminators and a Praetor and Deep Striking War Monger and 15 Delivers into my list on top of my All Tanks list 

17 hours ago, MichaelCarmine said:

Hello there =]

Since a bit of time has passed and maybe you guys have had better ideas and ways on how to run them - what are your experiences with Flyers?

In my gaming environment, theres almost always some kind of Helical Targeting platform (CastraFerrum, Contemptor, SiccaranArcus, Deredeo) in the opponents List, to deal with deep strikers and Flyers.

So bringin a Flyer (or better - less than two, or three for Target saturation) in is almost allways suicide.

Luckily, since the errata for the Legacy-units came out, i've had quite some success with deep striking the "new" Caestus!

With the Decap Strike RoW, it gets a 5+Shrouded on arrival against everything without a Helical or NightVision and if you position it right, the units with Helical have an AV of 14 against them.

And even if it gets cracked (but doesn't explode), the Terminator unit inside can still disembark and charge, thanks to the new Misericord-rules.

I admit, 350Pts is a big deal, since it also uses the one HS Slot available, but the last few games with it have been a blast, especially since it's one of my favorite models! =]

Did you have any good experience with Flyers? Maybe it's just my environment, that's massively racist against anything with wings...

I've been traveling quite a bit to get to different events (germany) and never encountered so much as a single helical. However I think the new shorter Missions make flyers (anything reserves really) quite unappealing as there is a decent chance of getting two or fewer turns of board presence out of your investment

5 hours ago, Razorblade said:

I've been traveling quite a bit to get to different events (germany) and never encountered so much as a single helical. However I think the new shorter Missions make flyers (anything reserves really) quite unappealing as there is a decent chance of getting two or fewer turns of board presence out of your investment

That's actually quite funny, considering that Helicals give free intercept and are also really good against anything that arrives via DeepStrike.

Especially on the Arcus, where it allows the tank(s) to even fire its/their battleweapons - goodbye, deepstriking 2w 2+ elites...

Not to mention, that it also negates any shrouding-saves...

22 hours ago, WAR said:

No one in my Group is bringing flyers.  I have an event we are doing in November for "Tanksgiving" and I am thinking about throwing a Storm Eagle full of Terminators and a Praetor and Deep Striking War Monger and 15 Delivers into my list on top of my All Tanks list 

Whatever you do, don't bring your Stormeagle in from reserve, or atleast bring it after the DeepStrikers, when the opponent has spent all its reactions on them.

Otherwise, when it gets shot down, every embarked model receives a S10AP2 hit, most people tend to forget that...

Buddy of mine lost his whole Praetor+CommandSquad that way on an event. Over 600Pts, destroyed by one Helical-Dread reaction.

47 minutes ago, MichaelCarmine said:

Whatever you do, don't bring your Stormeagle in from reserve, or atleast bring it after the DeepStrikers, when the opponent has spent all its reactions on them.

Otherwise, when it gets shot down, every embarked model receives a S10AP2 hit, most people tend to forget that...

Buddy of mine lost his whole Praetor+CommandSquad that way on an event. Over 600Pts, destroyed by one Helical-Dread reaction.

Thank you @MichaelCarmine! I will keep that in mind if I add the points.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/28/2024 at 3:52 PM, MichaelCarmine said:

Hello there =]

Since a bit of time has passed and maybe you guys have had better ideas and ways on how to run them - what are your experiences with Flyers?

In my gaming environment, theres almost always some kind of Helical Targeting platform (CastraFerrum, Contemptor, SiccaranArcus, Deredeo) in the opponents List, to deal with deep strikers and Flyers.

So bringin a Flyer (or better - less than two, or three for Target saturation) in is almost allways suicide.

Luckily, since the errata for the Legacy-units came out, i've had quite some success with deep striking the "new" Caestus!

With the Decap Strike RoW, it gets a 5+Shrouded on arrival against everything without a Helical or NightVision and if you position it right, the units with Helical have an AV of 14 against them.

And even if it gets cracked (but doesn't explode), the Terminator unit inside can still disembark and charge, thanks to the new Misericord-rules.

I admit, 350Pts is a big deal, since it also uses the one HS Slot available, but the last few games with it have been a blast, especially since it's one of my favorite models! =]

Did you have any good experience with Flyers? Maybe it's just my environment, that's massively racist against anything with wings...

I still have to build mine... :(

My Dreadclaw saw one game so far in which it did well. Dropped Golg plus some Terminators behind enemy lines andthen died.