who is hopping on to the votann train!?!

Triszin

I would love to but I don't think a new army is in the cards for me this year. I am really looking forward to seeing them on the table though!

Dont like the minis but the lore interests me, Ill try make do with my existing collection and use what I can with the Votan dex. I use my Squats for games of 1st/2nd ed anyway mostly so I dont need any of the new stuff.

Depending on the scale of the Votan compared to older sized Squats/third party minis I may get some for particularly buff Khorne Squats who have been on the path to glory for a while. 

Space Dwarves can't come soon enough
Ah hem even if my shame pile of successor Blood angels are looking at me with shame

& definitely thinking of giving them a Orange Mars'ish theme 

I will be on the train.   It's not so much a train, but a new Faction to become familiar and invested.

The units, history and impact seem distinct and different than what I've modeled before.  

I'm not a big fan of "models that look like articulated toys" so the bikes and things that have dynamic (motion) features I'll be suppressing, but static models and such -- totally in.  Way.

It is a thing.

Casual observation -- that the Squat's that are released in Necromunda are chumming the waters in anticipation of the League of Votann release.   

I guess all I can do at this point is line up the paint pots, get the razors out and other stuff.   Having only ever made Space Marines, I'll have to learn the ins/outs of how these dudes go together and where to focus.  

Foremost on my mind is -- where they officially stand among the other races/factions.  Xenos, non-Xenos, which prior Imperium faction is aligned, non-aligned to them.   I am out of the loop on the Lore angle.  Don't know what I should be reading to get the straight dope on where they are in the whole arc of the story.

Did I miss a thread here?  I'll keep looking.   (Did we already start a FAQ thread?  If so I'll pin it, etc..)

Thanks.

On 8/14/2022 at 4:39 AM, Felix Antipodes said:

Ditto.  Interested but still on the platform, not the (hype) train.

After wasting £120 on a concert I never made it to because of rail strikes I never wanna hear the word train again lol

On 8/21/2022 at 6:43 PM, tychobi said:

Not me. The moon buggy is kinda fun but the rest is just a bit too close to space marines for me. Lacking personality i suppose

Same here. So far I like half of what we have been shown. I might go with a healthy mix of votann and kharadrons to replace what I dislike.

Can't wait for more.

Me, hopefully. Although my pile of shame (and our new economic downturn) maybe says no.

But omg, the lore is so good!

https://warhammertv.com/details/25219?playlist_id=4

This is part one of lore videos on W+, and really seems to summarise everything in the codex - the different main factions are accounted, for the kyn (flesh and iron), their clone-skin variations, the lesser robots, and of course the Votann. It's deep and feels very very 40k :)

I'm not sure what I think of the minis overall, some are fantastic, others not. But that's true of any range. Across a number, however, I do not like the stuck on runic tokenism - it doesn't really feel very true to the lore, as presented, nor feel like real worldbuilding either. If there were multiple differently cultural symbols, fine, but horse heads and knotwork feel too incongruous. And for those who say "dwarfs" have to be Celtic or Nordic (or north-west european early medieval), I don't know, that's just a paradigm that has become dominant. I rather like landsknecht dwarves, for example. And if the leagues are descended from multiple human societies, shouldn't there be multiple symbol systems within their designs, multiple senses of ancestor design?

Anyway, I do like their typologies and league signs (shown off in the video), which do feel like they draw on multiple different languages (Cyrillic, logograms, etc) rather than just Latin script or Arabic numbers. And if I jump in, I'll take away the Nordic tokenism, and maybe try something different. 

1 hour ago, Petitioner's City said:

Me, hopefully. Although my pile of shame (and our new economic downturn) maybe says no.

But omg, the lore is so good!

https://warhammertv.com/details/25219?playlist_id=4

This is part one of lore videos on W+, and really seems to summarise everything in the codex - the different main factions are accounted, for the kyn (flesh and iron), their clone-skin variations, the lesser robots, and of course the Votann. It's deep and feels very very 40k :)

I'm not sure what I think of the minis overall, some are fantastic, others not. But that's true of any range. Across a number, however, I do not like the stuck on runic tokenism - it doesn't really feel very true to the lore, as presented, nor feel like real worldbuilding either. If there were multiple differently cultural symbols, fine, but horse heads and knotwork feel too incongruous. And for those who say "dwarfs" have to be Celtic or Nordic (or north-west european early medieval), I don't know, that's just a paradigm that has become dominant. I rather like landsknecht dwarves, for example. And if the leagues are descended from multiple human societies, shouldn't there be multiple symbol systems within their designs, multiple senses of ancestor design?

Anyway, I do like their typologies and league signs (shown off in the video), which do feel like they draw on multiple different languages (Cyrillic, logograms, etc) rather than just Latin script or Arabic numbers. And if I jump in, I'll take away the Nordic tokenism, and maybe try something different. 

I don't have WH+ so will have to wait for the lore to trickle onto the free internet/await the book.

But, any info/hint on whether there's a grimdark element and if so what it is?

14 hours ago, SpaceDwalin said:

I don't have WH+ so will have to wait for the lore to trickle onto the free internet/await the book.

But, any info/hint on whether there's a grimdark element and if so what it is?

I dm'd you a wee bit more, but it's quite hard to summarise how grimdark they are - but it's the combination of servitude to the secular god machines creates by long dead mysterious settlers in the netheregions of time; the aesthetics of the art; the character of the different leagues which is rather grim; the black humour of hiding in plain sight their AIs (mention votanns a lot, never explain they aren't just "ancestors"); the dystopia they present in which in the end each cloneskin or ironkin is fed back into the votann, and thus each life is secondary to the great machines, who become more and more overflowing and slowing down with the information received in this way, thus more and more erratically providing instructions for their societies.

I guess it is an alternate version of decay, and one that feels very well done, even if the miniatures don't yet convey that. I'm excited to see what the styles od inq28/turnip28/AoD aesthetics do to the minis - or if anyone can capture the moody, craggy votann of the mostly fantastic art (that looks to be by the BSF artist?).

1 hour ago, Petitioner's City said:

I dm'd you a wee bit more, but it's quite hard to summarise how grimdark they are - but it's the combination of servitude to the secular god machines creates by long dead mysterious settlers in the netheregions of time; the aesthetics of the art; the character of the different leagues which is rather grim; the black humour of hiding in plain sight their AIs (mention votanns a lot, never explain they aren't just "ancestors"); the dystopia they present in which in the end each cloneskin or ironkin is fed back into the votann, and thus each life is secondary to the great machines, who become more and more overflowing and slowing down with the information received in this way, thus more and more erratically providing instructions for their societies.

I guess it is an alternate version of decay, and one that feels very well done, even if the miniatures don't yet convey that. I'm excited to see what the styles od inq28/turnip28/AoD aesthetics do to the minis - or if anyone can capture the moody, craggy votann of the mostly fantastic art (that looks to be by the BSF artist?).

Servitude to an insane AI sounds like the RPG Paranoia.

Any more info on how they align (or not) with the Imperium in the 'present day'?

22 minutes ago, SpaceDwalin said:

Servitude to an insane AI sounds like the RPG Paranoia.

Any more info on how they align (or not) with the Imperium in the 'present day'?

So they sit somewhere between abhuman and xenos, depending on the point of view. And they view the Imperium differently depending on the league (and possibly fractions within each too). At least one league was mentioned as being very mercenary, working across the galaxy, although it might be they all do, and allusion was made to squats in the Imperium too - it's not made clear if these ones even know what the Votann really are, but presumably don't given their long separation.

The leagues mainly live close to the galaxy's core, with some fantastic art. There are paradoxes in their attitudes - stubborn ones who don't like to waste resources but will give up a lot of kin in battle just not to lose territory, etc. Lots of "dwarfish" typologies there for sure 

The leagues do not speak about their AIs to outsiders too, and do have less advanced robots that presumably ironkin appear like when working with and/or fighting the outsiders. Ironkin do have distinct personalities but leadership isn't common. They can't swap bodies, it seems, so are more like Robby the Robot or other older analogue robots, than digital software in multiple forms. 

And paranoia is a great shout, one that I feel is found in a lot of 40k :) 

On 9/1/2022 at 2:00 AM, Inquisitor_Lensoven said:

Well the land fortress was a let down for me.

mma ever buying squats was pretty much completely dependent on that.

looking back though what I wanted to see didn’t fit the aesthetic, but what they made does.

What did you want to see for the Land Fortress?

1 hour ago, TheVoidDragon said:

What did you want to see for the Land Fortress?

Something more like the epic land train.

something tracked. Something more blocky, with sharp corners.

something without a bubble window lol

Something like this

NASA shuttle crawler style treads

tall blocky hull

larger type demolisher cannon in the hull.

Then maybe something like that hylas up top in a turret, and one of those fancy vehicle bolters in front/sides/rear.

Edited by Inquisitor_Lensoven