who is hopping on to the votann train!?!

Triszin

I'm interested, though already invested in building a Death Guard army first. I enjoy the new lore and the high tech edge. A weird detail, I'm interested in how many helmets come in different sets since I don't like to paint faces :P

If I can find a Necromunda or Kill Team group to play with I will probably give their related squads a go at least.

I have preordered the army set.  I am an old timer, having been around since the old squats and am delighted at the new range.  I must confess to having doubts at first with the ronson shaver bike, but it has really grown on me.  I think theres enough design cues back to the olden day squats to satisfy a bit of nostalgia, but am really pleased with the new hi tech looks of them.  Cant wait for more of the range in due course.

On 9/18/2022 at 9:15 PM, Dread said:

Nope. Like Karhedron stated. I had a massive squat army in 2nd. When they were dropped, well, basically gave them away. The new look while pleasing still doesnt make up for that.

I was in a similar place. Ended up selling my Squat 40k army years ago but had a pretty fun Epic collection for some time - I think Jervis Johnson was right in that regard, they had much more of an identity in that system with the big war engines.

The irony is now that with the plastic moulding technology advances in the last 20 years we will almost certainly see a Colossus kit, airship etc. and yet, like Knights and Super Heavies, they would work much better at Epic scale in terms of the game & mechanics, but now its the Epic Squats that are not officially available.

On 9/18/2022 at 9:15 PM, Dread said:

Nope. Like Karhedron stated. I had a massive squat army in 2nd. When they were dropped, well, basically gave them away. The new look while pleasing still doesnt make up for that.

The strange thing is that original look still exists for them, it hasn't been retconned. We had Grendl Grendlsen a while back as an update of the classic Squat look, but the codex has art of more Kin styled like that original design was, including the gambesons. I like the armoured explorer aesthetic but I'd have liked that look for them even more.

Edited by TheVoidDragon

I think with the new minis there was an element of 'damned if you do, damned if you don't' in terms of how they chose to do them - if they had just done a rehash of the originals, bearded dudes with cigars and moustaches riding bikes, they would have been panned for it - I think rightly so, what worked in 1989 for Rogue Trader wouldn't work or fit in in 2022.

Conversely, if they had done something completely off the wall (how close were we to cyclopian, grey-skinned Demiurg being the new faction?) then it would have completely alienated the retro/oldhammer fans- GW has done a lot recently to try and appeal to this group with 'easter eggs' hidden in the new designs for us grognards - I think its great!

So what they have done is taken something that is recognisably a 'space dwarf', added a few retro references and throw-backs, but also tried to do something new with both the miniatures and the fluff so that it fits in with 40k 2022. For what its worth, Im collecting the new minis but using 40k 2nd edition - practically *all* of the new releases line up with the 1992 GW codex and the community codex that followed and I'll have no trouble at all representing most of it. I think that says a lot about how much they have referenced from the originals in terms of how the force is represented.

Edited by Pacific81

I’m in with a pre-Oder box set (it’s been shipped), I played 2nd edition back in school and had a few squat models then from the 80’s and they were rare and hard to find any info on as a kid and that intrigued me to get more (where I could find them). I was not impressed initially with the first models they previewed but the later ones have warmed to me. I am also looking forward to playing a durable shooting army - I play imperial guard and am just finding holding objectives is hard/impossible and their codex is nowhere to be seen.

I'd quite like to dabble in them but will wait till 10th drops. The rules seem a bit over powered at the moment and while I am not a fan of the rules at the moment I don't want to fall prey to them getting overly nerfed. It's feeling like a late edition over powered codex to me at the moment so I don't want to invest just yet.

I like the lore, the models are not grasping my attention that much but I do like the look of the vehicles. I'd quite like to use them as Tau allies, I have ordered a single squad leader off ebay to see what they look like in person before I make any purchases. 

2 hours ago, Trokair said:

Still deciding on the troop choice, one big 20 kin unit or 2 10 kin units. 

2 x 10 seems more flexible in terms of deployment, less vulnerable to Blast weapons and more resilient to Morale.  Are there any advantages to 1 x 20?

I would be tempted to look at transport for the Hearthkyn. They are your primary Objective holders but are one of the comparatively fragile units in the codex so some metal bawkses to keep them safe looks good on paper.

10 hours ago, Karhedron said:

2 x 10 seems more flexible in terms of deployment, less vulnerable to Blast weapons and more resilient to Morale.  Are there any advantages to 1 x 20?

The Grimnyr gets a psychic power that buffs a unit's toughness and gives an invulnerable save, and it's one less unit to use a stratagem on as the above poster said. Also they can upgrade three squad members to a medic, scanner, and comms user, so slight bonus in points not having to buy those twice if you like them. I don't know if any of those are game changers, it's all I could think of at the moment.

Edited by Furnace Lord

18 hours ago, Furnace Lord said:

Also they can upgrade three squad members to a medic, scanner, and comms user, so slight bonus in points not having to buy those twice if you like them. I don't know if any of those are game changers, it's all I could think of at the moment.

No light Cover for your opponent is half of Iron WArriors special thing. And 24" reroll 1s to hit aura from your Khal is nothing to neglect either. The medic one pays off after the first saved wound.

THere is simply no reason not to upgrade the units.

I'll probably pick them up after the whole line is released and they get a FAQ. I don't mind missing out on the set and am willing to let the Pioneers do their thing and gather experience with everything before I start building.

That said I love those Exo Suits.

So I got the box on pre-order because I kind of just wanted space dwarves. Personally, as a big tank lover I am likely to get 3 Land Fortresses just because I strangely...both like and don't like them...just the wheels but they are warming to me with how they are just bricks of armour with guns. Kind of like a Repulsor but done right imo.

Also, going with a Norse theme for my naming.

Odin as a Grimnyr, Tyr as a Kahl (built him with sword because...why doesn't the kahl have it as an option), Thor as a Champion with the hammer and Loki as the forge master and his 3 children Land Fortress: Jormangandr, Fenrir and Hel. It means now I can do Norse theme army without going with the space wolves who I just universally don't like.

Want to say that don't sleep on their exo-suit guys, starting to see those conversion beamer loadouts being pretty beastly considering. Core-Buster trigger from a trooper squad, then slam home a full 6 block of beamers. At optimal range that is fairly meaty damage. 

On 9/25/2022 at 8:05 AM, Karhedron said:

There's a stratagem that gives bolters additional hits on 6s, or two additional hits for 11+ model units. I'm considering running a unit of 20 bolters, and possibly an Ion unit as well. They have so many special models and weapons that a 10 man unit doesn't give you many ablative wounds before you start losing abilities when a mini goes down.

6 hours ago, Sawtooth said:

There's a stratagem that gives bolters additional hits on 6s, or two additional hits for 11+ model units.

That strategem improves in efficiency when the target unit is 11+, not the firing unit. Basically analogous to how blast weapons work.

The second point, however, is very good. A ten man unit can have a minority of its members equipped with the "Standard" loadout.

Four ablative members versus twelve in a 20-kin unit...

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Pacific81 said:

Does anyone know how these Forge Father miniatures scale with the new Votann? Im thinking of using them as Berserks/close combat units

55a089c711c3851952d4f68b082e14bf.jpg

I like the idea, but they may be a little small. They come on 25mm bases, so they may not be much smaller than the regular hearthkyn, but from the images in the codex, the beserkers do seem larger than the regular guys. I guess with building up their bases a bit they could work though. Some nice models in that range.