Maybe Im being a bit tin hat here and maybe it's just the colour of the trike... but the trike itself really feels like the man of iron we got in the Blackstone fortress set. I know in lore they're both from the same time and stc tech but the colour choice almost makes me feel it's a faction colour scheme. Definitely think squats are getting a men of iron unit! Edited by Dank_Angle

I quite like the retro-futuristic dieselpunk look of the trike overall, it reminds me of the Fallout series, so that's got me a bit more optimistic about them considering the first miniature reveal was a bit bland and generic.

The two main things I dislike are the coat, and the anti-grav however.

The coat is a neat idea and I do like that sort of thing usually, but over the top of their big, round, bulky void armour it just looks odd and like it doesn't really fit. It should be one or the other, not both. A lighter chestpiece would have been fine but as it is it's strange.

The Anti-grav at this point feels it's over-done and like they can't think of anything else. Everything "advanced" has to have it now; Space Marines have the Landspeeders and new Primaris vehicles, Eldar and Dark Eldar have it, Necrons have it, Tau have it, the Mechanicus has a few things with it. I would have liked to see more wheels or tracks, I hope their vehicles aren't all Anti-grav.

They could have had bikes that were a monowheel, or this could have had a big wheel/ball at the front like the Brute Chopper From Halo. I feel like anything but just anti-grav would have been better.

I don't think i have ever said this about a GW product...ever...    

"JUST TAKE MY MONEY!" 

Mithril

++EDIT++ It has that 1950's Fallout vibe too... it's a flying white goods appliance :tongue.: 

Edited by mithrilforge

“Hernkyn”: is that a reference to Herne the Hunter?

If only! I thought it might simply be just “Her” + “Kyn” - ie signifying a female sq- I mean member of the League.

After the Daemon Prince reveal, is there any chance this is a dual kit: anti-grav OR wheels - you choose buster because this is the new GW giving the fans what they want and all they have to do is remortgage their houses or sell their souls and they can have it.

Yeah it seems cleaner than Imperium tech. I imagine it's on par with or slightly ahead of what the Primaris are using.

The weapons don't look particularly impressive but the vehicle does have unique looking grav plates.

The bike DOES very much look like it belongs to same faction as the Imperial Robot from Blackstone Fortress.

Im not a huge fan of the trend of hover tech for the Imperium but this one looks like it fits in 40k, its hovering but it looks old and "grimy" so this is a plus for me and I'd be down to get a full unit of these guys. The shotgun revolver is totally ace.

Of course we have only seen two minies so far, but I still fail to see what flavor they are going for with the squats. The foot soldier looked really futuristic, this one seems like a trowback to WWII aviators, complete with goggles and old fashion shotgun.

I wasn't expecting vikings in space, we already have those, but I still feel giving space dwarfs a proper "feel" is not easy. So far the Kharadrons look better for a squat army in my opinion.

I'll wait for more.

A flying trike, you say?

3019.jpg

Don't worry, give it a few years and we will have a flying centaur dwarf. :teehee:

Seriously though, I'm not sure how I feel about this one yet.

I definitely prefer this to the infantry model they showed us, it fits the image in my head of what the surviving squats would look like post-tyranid invasion. Not a fan of the colour scheme they've chosen though, it looks too clean with the matte finish and contributes towards the cleaning appliance vibes people are getting. 

Edited by Castellan Wulfrik

“Hernkyn”: is that a reference to Herne the Hunter?

If only! I thought it might simply be just “Her” + “Kyn” - ie signifying a female sq- I mean member of the League.

After the Daemon Prince reveal, is there any chance this is a dual kit: anti-grav OR wheels - you choose buster because this is the new GW giving the fans what they want and all they have to do is remortgage their houses or sell their souls and they can have it.

I don’t imagine it’s an all female unit.

Not my cup of tea but I'm happy to see something for LoV's fans.

I was expecting something more surprising (iron warrior or some new strange unit) but I guess they have chosen to go slow for this "new" faction. 

Just one thing, I know it's silly to talk about this in this particular universe, since reality it's not its forte (fortunately).

But, how in the name of the Emperor a shotgun revolver works? What is the purpose of the pump in the front if the shells are loaded in the wheel in front? Double chambers? One in wheel and one the pump tube?

2 calibers? In the same barrel? Seems a frankenstein gun just for the sake of it.

:biggrin.:

I know it's silly, again but if they want to reach awesomess with a big a** gun, this mish mash are not that great for me.

Just give her a more futuristic surreal weapon :smile.: .

I love it. It feels very 80s dystopian anime. Kind of like Appleseed. It feels right and look amazing.

Oh I forgot about Appleseed but thats very apt, my head was going towards a Ghost in the shell tachikoma direction 

Same sort of period of anime. Yeah Squats are shaping up to very much embody that sort of aesthetic vibe can't wait to see the exo armour up close instead of blurry and in the background art.

Appleseed and Ghost is the Shell are literally both by the same Managaka/designer.

Looks more Bethesda era Fallout to me but I can see both. The Castellan robots already did that aesthetic better than Bethesda so nothing new for 40k. A Fallout Tachikoma would be the best.

If anything this is making me think Squats will be pink skinned Orks, who also have aviator themed models and retro aesthetics. Maybe they won't be completely ditching the 'biker gang' theme after all.

Edited by Closet Skeleton

I'm still on the fence regarding the model itself, I love everything except the hover plates, but it is growing on me.

However, the thing I love the most is, it's a hover bike that doesn't need a flying stand.....

The tactical rock makes it look like it's hovering, without the need for annoying, "break if you breathe on me", clear flying stands.

Is that a GW first?

Edited by StraightSilver

The tactical rock makes it look like it's hovering, without the need for annoying, "break if you breathe on me", clear flying stands.

It is a good thought by GW, but that single point of contact looks fragile as well.

Any force on the model is going to go right down the lever arm to that little bit of plastic between the rock and the Norelco pad.

I'm still on the fence regarding the model itself, I love everything except the hover plates, but it is growing on me.

However, the thing I love the most is, it's a hover bike that doesn't need a flying stand.....

Is that a GW first?

Necron Heavy Destroyers had a hover rock

Is that a GW first?

The new ork deffkotas also have scenery incorporated into the models instead of flying stands

Is that a GW first?

Necron Heavy Destroyers had a hover rock

The new ork deffkotas also have scenery incorporated into the models instead of flying stands

Also Haarken Worldclaimer. In AoS, Lord Kroak, and arguably the entire Nighthaunt range.

If you extend to include anything that's depicted as being "in flight" without a flying stand at all (i.e. supported by fabrics or appendages, or even magic/energy), you've got all manner of things going back at least a decade; Shard of the Void Dragon, The Yncarne, Saint Celestine, Stormcast Prosecutors, Celestant Prime, Nagash, Khinerai, the flying Hive Tyrant variant, Venomthropes & Zoanthropes, even Astorath and The Sanguinor. Many more no doubt.

It is a good thought by GW, but that single point of contact looks fragile as well.

Any force on the model is going to go right down the lever arm to that little bit of plastic between the rock and the Norelco pad.

The thing is, the gap between them is so small that I don't see this actually damaging the model. It'll bend down to touch the base, then snap back up when pressure is released. Repeated action might eventually wear it down so it doesn't come back up, but that's easy enough to address.