[DH1e] The Damocles Contingency (OOC)

Mazer Rackham

3 minutes ago, Machine God said:

Mazer - Could you PM the books? 

I will PM you with a googledoc link to my legitimately acquired copies, which I may do with as I please.

Not directed to anyone at all, but for the record (and board policy): We do not source, encourage or promote the sharing of illegally downloaded or pirated materials and we should never ask for them.

Any books I share are for personal use only, and should not be passed to third parties (this is technically the GM loaning out his books for sessions to enhance play and understanding).

52 minutes ago, Mazer Rackham said:

I will PM you with a googledoc link to my legitimately acquired copies, which I may do with as I please.

Not directed to anyone at all, but for the record (and board policy): We do not source, encourage or promote the sharing of illegally downloaded or pirated materials and we should never ask for them.

Any books I share are for personal use only, and should not be passed to third parties (this is technically the GM loaning out his books for sessions to enhance play and understanding).

GM - That's what I meant to ask

39 minutes ago, Trokair said:

If you will have me consider my arm metaphorically twisted.

All aboard the Heresy train!

Choo choo!

34 minutes ago, Machine God said:

GM - That's what I meant to ask

I know mate. :wink:

My expanded reply is because we have to make sure we're above board, no intention otherwise or disparaging of anyone. The old salts in here will have heard me bang this drum harder when I was a Moderator for the Nook.

Sometimes, I miss that old soapbox...:tongue:

EDIT: Ok, this is gathering steam (choo choo) and we have a psyker, a cop, a drug-pushing professional medical charlatan (possibly), and a foppish fast-talking swindler.

What a rogues gallery!

Edited by Mazer Rackham

6 minutes ago, Trokair said:

So we pick one of the carear paths and go from there?

Yep. In the core rules the choice of homeworld is most just background - the class itself determines what abilities are available.

---------------------------------------------------------------

On that subject - one Arbitrator has been added to the group :)

1 hour ago, Mazer Rackham said:

All aboard the Heresy train!

Choo choo!

I know mate. :wink:

My expanded reply is because we have to make sure we're above board, 

Nice pun! 

I'm busy until Sunday Night - it's set up for the Great British Beer Festival, so I'll have a shufty when I'm home at the GM's books. 

Bardas

An Omnissiahan Shrine guardian/caretaker for an AdMech shrine that was too small to have an attending Techpriest. In fact it was so small that Bardas was the only person there, maintaining and guarding it for years before some event before the current story destroyed it. Could have been a remote outpost/listing station or some such, maybe small space craft (local system only) or some other similar thing that the AdMech would want attended but too unimportant to have a Tech prist.

Think of Bardas as a cross between an Adeptus Ministorum Crusader and an AdMech Electro-priest, but at the lowest level. Bardas has no tech-priest training, just maintaining the shrine by rote and warrior training to defend it.

Now Bardas seeks a new duty to attend to and in so doing fulfil the Omnissiah’s will and maybe get vegnence on the destroyers of the original shrine along the way.

Bardas is blind, death and mute but has augmentation to compensate. One of the inscription on the former shrine and/or one of it's possession is along the lines of:  

You shall hear no evil, see no evil, and speak no evil but by the will of the Omnissiahs gift so as to defend and protect against said evil. – rough translation (ie I need to rework this to sound better, but you get the idea).

So that’s my idea, any suggestions or tip for character creation?  

Like it, I think the personal vendetta is a nice touch, gives him a subplot.

Just as a note, if you want to tweak certain character kits to make them fit your ideas better, I'm up for it, but it's a sacrifice and compromise, ie no swapping (Training Bolt Weapon) in exchange for (Training: Sharp Stick).

I'm going to be hardball tough about this, because you're low-level Acolytes, not harum-scarum reprobates from Huron's Own.

28 minutes ago, Trokair said:

So that’s my idea, any suggestions or tip for character creation?  

At creation your character has basically no skills at all beyond tech use and knowing how to fight with lasguns, laspistols, and sticks.

Look at the character sheet in the back of the book - anything 'basic' you can do at half your stat value (somewhere between 10% and 20% success rate) and that is the sum total of your characters abilities until you spend xp.

The first level is pretty short and usually used to pick up the cheap ability boosts and missing skills (i.e. being able to drive or pilot if that is part of your role). 400xp to begin (500xp to hit the start of rank 2) so there aren't many decisions to make.

15 minutes ago, Mazer Rackham said:

Just as a note, if you want to tweak certain character kits to make them fit your ideas better, I'm up for it, but it's a sacrifice and compromise, ie no swapping (Training Bolt Weapon) in exchange for (Training: Sharp Stick).

Clearly the best talent is Basic Weapon Training (SP), and the pre-errata twin autogun from the first edition of the rulebook (range 90, RoF S/6/20, damage 2d10+6)  Because who doesn't want a 20 barreled krak grenade launcher :p

Edited by A.T.

12 minutes ago, A.T. said:

Cleric is the closest choice from the core rules. Good fellowship advancement and access to peer and authority style talents, and lots of money.

I was thinking Rogue Trader or even Psyker, but then you mentioned lot of money … :laugh:

8 minutes ago, Mazer Rackham said:

This, oh dear God, this. :biggrin: (Emphasis mine).

That looks like a rather challenging performance there :wink:

35 minutes ago, Xin Ceithan said:

I was thinking Rogue Trader or even Psyker, but then you mentioned lot of money … :laugh:

Oh dear, a clergyman about to be defrocked and de-stipended by an arbitrator...cast out of the church to wander with a band of ne'er-do-wells under the orders of a secret lord... 

Wait...

Have we just made 'Friar Tuckus'?

Okay, okay, assuming I actually sign on, I'm leaning either Assassin (assuming there isn't one already), or Scum, but I think Assassin fits better for underhive bounty hunter. However, if we need someone suitably "scummy," I could be convinced to resurrect/transfer an old, old character of mine from a game of Iron Heroes many years ago into 40K.

18 minutes ago, Mazer Rackham said:

Oh dear, a clergyman about to be defrocked and de-stipended by an arbitrator...cast out of the church to wander with a band of ne'er-do-wells under the orders of a secret lord... 

Wait...

Have we just made 'Friar Tuckus'?

…sounds more like an episode from “The Grim and dark Tales of Father Ted” :biggrin:

In general I do rather meh at portraying priestly types…

they seem either to end up like some sort of Jedi Knight or redemptionist pyoromaniac.

I get the fun from just going full out berserk and screaming “burn the witch” e hind the BT, but this doesn’t seem to be a group or setting. for puritanical cleansing ( and we do have covered up that in DW pretty well) .

Heck, I probably couldn’t even portray a zealot of Lorgar’s lot with a straight face, come to think of it :devil:

Part way through character creation, will post later. A few questions along the way.

Using Tech priest as the starting point

Under starting skills I have the option ‘Trade (Scrimshawer) (Ag) or Trade (Copyist) (Int)’  can I swap this for Trade (Technomat) (Int), it seems more fitting.

Starting gear includes 1 las carbine and charge pack, can I have a lasgun + pack instead?

Also under starting gear I have a metal staff, can I upgrade this to mono and if so do I need any other weapon training? I have melee weapon (primitive) but mono removes the primitive.

I like the idea of Mesh armour and its lightness fits the image I have of Bardas, would you be willing to grant xeno mesh (ie arms, body, legs) under the guise of and flavoured as AdMech material or some such?

28 minutes ago, Trokair said:

Also under starting gear I have a metal staff, can I upgrade this to mono and if so do I need any other weapon training? I have melee weapon (primitive) but mono removes the primitive.

Mono weapons still count as their original type (mainly as there is no 'mono' weapon training).

When i've played in the past the common approach to gear was to give X months of income and the full value of starting gear for trade-ups. Though there isn't much to spend it on without the inquisitors handbook. Have to see where the GM goes with that so I can get my character a fancy detectives coat :p

I don't i've ever seen anyone stick with the las-carbine before, outside of thematic 'sawn of lasgun' type hive scum.

Edited by A.T.

I'm not sure I've done it right for Starting Wealth and Income...

Scum do not seem to have a lot of funds compared to some of the other types, which I guess make sense for your typical thug...

Oh well, maybe our Inquisitor will be the generous sort... :laugh::no:

7 minutes ago, Lysimachus said:

Scum do not seem to have a lot of funds compared to some of the other types, which I guess make sense for your typical thug...

I think it's supposed to represent what a character would have if they performed their actual job for a month - undercover collecting leads, or as suitable wealth for an npc beaten up and robbed by hive scum.