[DH1e] The Damocles Contingency (OOC)

Mazer Rackham

52 minutes ago, Lysimachus said:

Oh well, maybe our Inquisitor will be the generous sort... :laugh::no:

He is.

You're alive aren't you?

We'll work out funds the way Lysi has (see his character post) using the base archetype and random generation from the CRB.

Build him up from DH as close as you can - if you need to take Elite Advances or from Advanced Ranks to do this within budget (it's about 1000xp to R2 I think?), you have my permission. Just take them at base cost.

If there are any Skills or Talents you need but can't quite get (ie not like for like) we'll fudge that if we have to.

Is that ok?

Edited by Mazer Rackham

Yes Rank 2, but you have to spend the XP before you hit the Rank (as per the CRB) so starting talents, then Rank 1 until you've all spent up. If that makes sense?

I'll allow everyone to take an extra 200xp to round it off to 1,000xp dead, so that a couple of R2 talents etc can be bought (and give enough budget for Beren to make up his character).

Everyone please note that the deal with Beren is a unique thing to reflect his background as a player/character in another game.

Spoiler

So don't ask me!

@Trokair Just gone over your character post again - yes, those swaps are fine.

Edited by Mazer Rackham

Makes sense, thanks. I'll have aplost up later tonight in the other thread that should cover everything. Get ready for a psyker who hates/hunts other psykers.

Edited by Lord_Ikka
I can't spell...

So for clarity in my own mind, we have 800 XP that can be spent on Characteristic Advance and Rank one skills and talents, and 200 that can go on the above and/or rank two skills or talents?

Could you also let me know re other question from my last post. Mainly can I use the mono upgrade on the starting staff (ie dose it work and do I need any other melee training  aside from primitive to then use it (as mono removes primitive p142). Happy to pay thrones for the upgrade, just feel that for a AdMech shrine guardian even the simple staff should be a bit above and beyond other weapons of its kind, and the pen from mono feels like it would do the job.

Secondly Mesh armour, given how it is described and how light it is I am imagining it as integrated into the red Admech artier so a set would be nice. Again happy to spend thrones towards it I just don’t think I can afford the set from the get go, so some assistance would be appreciated.

Yeah, no problems on Mono for the staff - I see this an upgrade to something akin to the Minbari Fighting Pike. A weapon of exotic materials, that is sharpened to a bevelled point (for our purposes and description of Mono to give Pen 2). Paying for it would be reasonable - think of this as an investment on behalf of the mechanicum to get the upgrade.

Yes, you can have it expand like in B5.

Primitive Weapon Training can still be used for the upgraded weapon, as far as I am concerned, you'll know how to use your staff.

The mesh armour, what locations are we talking?  The lot (Arms/Body/Legs/Head)? That's going to be pricy - although, I will do you a deal.

Because you've been standing around guarding something for about a gazillion years, you can have the Mesh Armour, but the kit is in poor repair (lack of replacement materials), which will result in it being Poor Quality. This will reduce the item from Scarce by one step, and reduce it to the cost of 250 TG. If you are short of Gelt, I will allow you to trade in your starting items to make up the difference, at their cost listed on p.130 etc.

Workable?

Spoiler

And no, nobody else can trade stuff in. No multi-lasers for starting characters!

Edited by Mazer Rackham

Thank you

I guess now I need to work out money. From page 29 I see that after dice roll I have 158 TG.

Trade in the starting flak vest for a further 50, and the Mechanicus robes and vestments (Good Quality Clothing) for whatever you deem it and/or rolled them into the mesh armour (as in they are not distinct clothing/armour but both as the mesh armour/cloak will be Bardas AdMech given cloths (plus some form of basic undergarment I presume).

Mono cost 40 so at this point I have 168 TG left.

I see from Lys character sheet that he had 2 months of income. If I were to apply the same that be an extra 300.

That said my character is not a Tech priest per say and has been travelling to reach the hive in pursuit of vengeance. So less income, but I can see him trading his skill as a Technomat to fix things along the way and earn some money.

How does this sound?

Starting gear:

– Flack vest

+ Mesh clothing/cloak/armour stuff (4 AP Body, arm, leg) and Mesh cowl/hood thing (3AP) (ie rolling the AdMech robes into it) both at normal (instead of poor)

+mono on staff

Starting TG 68                                            

This would assume that starting wealth includes 2 months or so earnings/eqivilant, if not then trade in las pistol as well for 50 (so 218) and take mesh at poor and hope you fudge the missing 32 TG to get to 250?

Quick question: are other characters advances set to different XP levels than mine?

For a Scum, Rank 1 is 0-499, Rank 2 is 500-999, Rank 3 is 1000-1999.

Meaning I need to spend at least 500 of my original 800 at Rank 1, then 300 can be taken from the Rank 1 or 2 tables?

If we all get another 200 (lovely, thank you kindly!), it will still need to be spent from Rank 1+2 tables... but that will take me up to a total of 1000XP spent and mean I start the game at Rank 3, is that correct?

Also, we get a month's wages for every 400XP we start with... does that mean we get to work out another half month's wages for the extra 200XP? (see, I'm already getting into character, and Reynard needs the money! :laugh:)

Edited by Lysimachus

38 minutes ago, Lysimachus said:

Reynard needs the money!

Scum always need money. The Emperor alone provides for the truly blessed.

39 minutes ago, Lysimachus said:

Quick question: are other characters advances set to different XP levels than mine?

For a Scum, Rank 1 is 0-499, Rank 2 is 500-999, Rank 3 is 1000-1999.

Looks the same for me. I was assuming the 200 extra xp was for the character transferring from Only War, but I might have misread. 

8 hours ago, Necronaut said:

Okay I missed that @Lysimachus was creating a Scum(my) character, so I will work on an Assassin perhaps if that is still free (though Assassins aren't too useful in the social end of the spectrum), or something else maybe.

As Todd Howard once said: "Be who you want" if you want to scum it, that's fine. We have most if not every little thing covered. The choice is yours, honestly.

8 hours ago, Trokair said:

How does this sound?

Starting gear:

– Flack vest

+ Mesh clothing/cloak/armour stuff (4 AP Body, arm, leg) and Mesh cowl/hood thing (3AP) (ie rolling the AdMech robes into it) both at normal (instead of poor)

+mono on staff

Starting TG 68

Yes, this is fine - 68 TG remaining, and all kit as you describe.

2 hours ago, Lysimachus said:

1: Ranks and XP Query

2: Reynard needs the money! :laugh:

1. If the XP bonus bumps you up to Rank 3, that's fine, I'm not too bothered, it's an unintentional outcome of the extra gratuity so we could get Stimms in here.

2. The Emperor's grace is reward enough! No wonder you've all been arrested! No extra cash for the extra xp, is the Emperor not sufficiently beneficent? I can Verdict is going to have to keep an eye on you.

2 hours ago, Lord_Ikka said:

1. Scum always need money. The Emperor alone provides for the truly blessed.

2. Looks the same for me. I was assuming the 200 extra xp was for the character transferring from Only War, but I might have misread. 

1. A wise man indeed.

2. Yes, everyone gets the extra 200xp, in the grand scheme of things, you'll likely need it...

A follow on to this.

The very skilled Mr Lysimachus has prepared a character sheet not unlike our Deathwatch ones.  I have placed it in the folder along with the Dark Heresy books.  If anyone wants access to the sheet, and does not have authority to go into the folder/drive, please feel free to email me, and I will add your email address to the folder/sheet.

For my sanity, please just make a copy and leave it in the folder as a central repository (like the DW sheets).

This isn't mandatory, but it's a neater solution than what we've currently got.

Edited by Mazer Rackham

44 minutes ago, Lysimachus said:

Gah, just started filling in Reynard's sheet and realised having a separate box for stats in armour is meaningless... I don't think any of us will live long enough to requisition suits of PA... :facepalm::laugh:

There is always 'gutterforged' armour from the book of judgement (-15 agility). Along with a set of mirker's greaves from the inquisitors handbook you could cosplay the worst space marine every.

Edited by A.T.

Just a note that I've just edited the template to add the full Skill list from pg.97. Left spaces below those Skills that have subdivisions so people can add in their own specialties?

So if anyone has already copied and started editing the file for their characters, you might want to just copy/paste that section over, might save you time?

Oh, there was a lot of stuff happening while I was out! 

To optimize my workflow, I am tempted to link my character to some other projects I wanted to work on before you guys always come up with other  interesting (and sadly very loyalist) stuff to distract me with :wink:

So I am thinking linking the Noble Background with maybe representing a scion / representative from a knight house  (- the knightless scion set up might be a bit more bit more survivable here than wandering about the screaming Vortex :laugh: ) 

That might work, depending on the House in question to start of anything between an Adept, Cleric,  or even Psyker …

Think I’d wait for a regular game of Rogue Trader to run a suitably flashy actual Rogue Trader. I do have an old concept / character of a Magos Biologis Explorator from a RT game started on the board waaaay back. Always the background, so still tempted to bring that one in to work on the stuff a bit more.  

But yeah, starting DH chars are such  flimsy little meat bags … :happy:

1 hour ago, Xin Ceithan said:

But yeah, starting DH chars are such  flimsy little meat bags … :happy:

Deathwath: "Ha! Autoguns! Tis pebbles raining across my armour!"

Rogue Trader: "Oh, Autoguns! Bit dicey, but we'll be ok.."

Only War: "Blimey! Autoguns! Keep yer heads down and yer arse lower, and we may survive."

Dark Heresy: "Autoguns?! :cuss: me! We're :cuss: going to :cuss: die!"

EDIT: I'm now polishing up the IC thread posts to begin character introductions. Note that this does not mean that thread is open.

The Damocles Contingency will open in the next couple of weeks depending on my schedule, and how much longer Plunder and Desolation continue for (the latter is in final stages of Mission 1), so take this as notification of a GM break.

Continue with questions, queries and infighting as to who will be Agent Primus (ie KIll Team Leader to borrow a Deathwatchism), or begging for money. Just don't let Verdict hear you.

Edited by Mazer Rackham