[DH1e] The Damocles Contingency (RPG IC)

Mazer Rackham

The Morgue:

Bardas:

The medical suite is so different and yet so similar to that of the spheres of the Mechnicum. You can see the parallels, the equipment for the mending of flesh replace the drills and torques of tending to the hardier machine-spirits. It is easy to see the superiority of the latter, for it is far more resilient - these tools are for gentle work, at least by comparison, the fiddly ministration to something unreliable and wont to shy away from the knife.

Yshing bows and leads you through the facility, into a large mortuary. A serried rank of medical examination tables lie occupied, each body smocked by a white sheet. Unlike the apron worn by the Verispex Surgeon, these are perfectly crisp and clean, placed fastidiously over the corpses, heads and shoulders exposed. The clean, crisp air reminds you perhaps of Dreyfuss' sanctum. All is bare steel and white ceramic.  The mortuary itself is spotless, and has obviously been cleaned after the grisly work done in making autopsies.

Taking a cleansing censer and filling it with counterseptic effervescent, Yshing leads you down the line. Face after face looks up at you, eyes forced closed. Some of them are tortured, frozen in a grossly painful death. Two are burned beyond recognition, grimacing through ravaged, scarred flesh. Each corpse tells a different story, betraying different walks of life, soldiers, servants, thieves and harlots. You know none of them.

Until you reach the eighth examination table.

If there was a metric used by the Mechanicum for attractiveness, you do not know it, but even underneath the rivets and plating you can recognise the loss of something special. A chin-length bob of silver-white has been carefully arranged by the mortician, Yshing. The face is pale, but fine, with the fleur-de-lys tattoo on the cheek unexpectedly and strangely still. Her face is beautifully serene, but is lacking something - she is luminous only from the glowstrips above.

In the corner of the room, a suit of Sororitas power armour has been carefully placed upon and armour stand, and the dark silk ribbons of mourning have been draped over it. Scarlet wax votive candles sit around it. The weapons are missing, no doubt surrendered to the armoury.

"It was the least I could do," Yshing's voice is hushed, respectful. He does not address you, nor see your recognition. He's talking to the dead woman.

To Valkyrie.

Bardas will have seen Valkyrie about, so her face and equipment would be known to you.

Reynard:

Fascinating.

As they walked towards the armoury, Falk filled in a few blanks. So the witch Magda was actually the witch Helene. All the Aldario family were cursed with the psyker gene, and their father had sought a cure. Could he have been working with Dreyfuss…? Or had Dreyfuss simply stumbled across whatever experiments Aldario was already conducting in the lower Hive? Either way, Gwynne said that Helene - the Dark Sister - had been angered by the Magos' efforts. Presumably she had arranged for his demise?

But how did all of this relate back to Inquisitor Locke, or to the Mechanicus group that had already murdered millions in order to find him? They still had no more information to connect the two matters together.

Unless… Aldario's 'deal with a devil'...? Reynard couldn't think of many characters more devil-like than an Inquisitor, and one of their ilk would be one of the few persons with sufficient authority to save a soul claimed by the Black Ships. Was Locke on Damocles after all? Had he rescued Helene? And would she therefore know how to find him?

Reynard frowned. He didn't like the idea of looking for her to ask. Not with Valkyrie dead. That was a surprise. The Sororitas had seemed… invulnerable. With another senior Throne Agent down, they needed a way to get back in contact with Verdict. Presumably Valkyrie had a way to reach her superior, perhaps a comm. channel stored within her armour systems? Maybe they could use it?

Falk:

"Duplicate the records to a dataslate and the secure archive", indicates Falk, and then to Reynard, "a timeline of Magdas death may clarify his involvement, the two sisters do not look alike and his involvement with the family began long before these events began".

"Ultimately this may all still be political manoeuvering but I am at a loss to see the logic in it. The Administratum will call for the heads of any with even passing involvement in so much death and destruction. And the head of the Aldario family himself is still unaccounted for."

The Cellblock:

"Aye, sir!" He moves at a brisk pace, disappearing into a security alcove. He reappears three minutes later with a dataslate and datacrystal.

"Copied and secured as instructed."

You can see he has also encrypted your copy with Arbites Ciphers.

Nicios

Nicios remained quiet as the group moved to the armoury. While Reynard and Falk were thinking of overall issues and connections that this case had spawned, Nicios was focused on the rogue psyker Helene. She was unusual and powerful, and at Nicios' current level of training, would be a very difficult opponent. 

Still, there were options and strategies to consider. Typically these sort of rogue psykers had some minor witches accompanying them, psychic worms and leeches that had a talent or two but neither the willpower nor discipline to advance further. If the Inquisition cell could take down the hangers-on before confronting Helene, they had a better chance.

He would think, and meditate. And possibly see if the Arbiterls had some more dum-dum rounds....

The Armoury:

The doors to the room would not disgrace a battleship. They are two feet thick, with monstrous locking bars to hold them fast in the event of an attack, or more likely to save the rest of the Halls of Judgement from arbitrary extinction through a negligent discharge. The room itself is some thirty metres broad, by twenty metres deep. The roof is fairly close, but thick with bonding studs and ablative panels. There are thickly armoured vision slits which can be closed with blast shields. Not only is it an armoury, but as you enter you can discern it carries a respiration recycling system. A fortress, as well, then.

It is a scene of organised chaos. Benches are attended by the Armoury-techs and mechanithrall serfs, pressing rounds into cases, before dropping them into boxes for sorting and loading. It is manual work, and fervent, so the techs work in shirt-sleeves. Magazines are checked, spare parts inspected. These are the nearest benches. On a second row of benches, weapons are being stripped and cleaned. Barrels checked for warping or fouling with the skill and certainty of men and women who know their business.

On the third row of benches sit the armour-mongers, lapping the hard plates of Arbites Carapace, brushing down flak coats and Suppression Shields, the tap-tap-tap of dents and rents being knocked out. At the back, to your left as you enter, is the magazine. Thick bars and grating protect the racks of weapons behind it, stubbers, shotguns, lasguns, revolvers, long rifles, and boltguns. Exotic weapons such as meltaguns are being dismantled and carefully maintained. Weapon oils, propellant, sweat and unguents ripen the air.

It is the perfume of warfare.

Next to the magazine, is a barricaded desk, behind which a stout woman stands, also in working order, she eyes you up and down before pointing to the rank of six lockers on her left, across the back wall from the door. They are painted red.

"Confiscated gear is in there," she calls, "I expect you'll want it. I'll return your firearms and blades."

You may now gear up. You may also assume she is the Quartermaster. There is the opportunity to shop here, as mentioned before. Some surplus Judge kit can be had, but there will also be auction lots of confiscated or seized gear available at market rates. This is one of the few ways the Arbites can recoup funds. You can ask for what you want, (within reason!) if the QM doesn't have it, she can offer an alternative.

Obviously, bear in mind your encumbrance limits. You can pool your funds as you please. @Lord_Ikka once you regain your gear, you will be able to check the purse De Grassi gave you (1D3 x 100 Thrones).

Nicios

Nicios bowed his head in thanks to the Quartermaster. He shrugged into his coat and holstered his weapons, moving in place a bit to make sure the sword on his left hip and the pistol on his right were properly balanced. His backup revolver slipped into the concealed holster in the small of his back, while his pyskana knife went into his right boot. Armed and armored, he placed his Inquisitorial emblem back in his coat's inner pocket and felt reasonably ready to continue. He also checked the pouch of money that the arrogant noble had given him (1d3 roll = 5, for a 3). 300 Thrones, apparently de Grassi was fairly generous with his wealth. This would help all of them.

"I was wondering if there were any alternative stub rounds to be had, Quartermaster- either dum-dums or manstoppers? I have a feeling that we will need some extra stopping power..."

"And maybe a red-dot sight for my pistol."

It looks like gunplay will be in our future

Edited by Lord_Ikka

The Armoury:

Nicios:

"I can certainly supply you with either type of munitions. We've got quite a few of both manstopper and dum-dum, take your pick."

She pulls up two plastex boxes with the rounds in, before picking out two laser sights. They are different models and makes, but both have the correct fittings for a pistol.

The ammunition is listed at 5 Thrones for 6 rounds for either type (common market value). The laser sights are of Common Qaulity, at 50 Thrones each.

Edited by Mazer Rackham

Nicios

"Very good. I will take a sight and 24 rounds of manstopper. I have some extra regular rounds, would you be able to take a Throne off of each reload if I traded some in?"

Spoiler

Don't know if I can barter with a Quartermaster, but Nicios does have the Trade (Merchant) skill so I might as well try... I'd be trading 24 regular rounds for 24 manstopper, trying to get the manstopper for 4 Thrones per five rounds.

If so, he'll purchase the items at a cost of 66 Thrones, leaving him with 7 left.

If not, he'll purchase the items at a cost of 70 Thrones, leaving him with 3 left.

(Still holding the 300 from the noble, as that is as of yet undivided group funds)

Yes, I'm trying to save 4 Thrones...I want to eventually get that carapace helmet/chestplate...

Reynard:

Carefully, Reynard checked each of his pockets, making sure every item had been returned. He was irritated by the confiscation of the compact autogun, but perhaps this wasn't the time to argue over it.

He wasn't sure what their next target would be, but he suspected it might be House Canthus, Greyson and his thugs. Therefore, a little extra penetrative power against carapace armour might be warranted. He drew his laspistol and walked over to the caged desk with it held out hilt first.

"Quartermaster, might you have any hotshot packs available that will fit my sidearm?"

As he waited, he noticed the sight Nicios had not taken. Hmm. Might be useful. He checked the attachment, sliding the narrow tube along the rail atop his pistol. It locked into place with a satisfying click. He tested the mechanism, pointing the weapon at a target across the room. As his finger touched the trigger, a tiny red dot appeared.

"I believe I will take this too."

He looked back at the stout woman as she returned with a trio of boxy objects. He examined the packs, testing their fit in the pistol's receiver. Two of the three seemed suitable. As he was checking them, he spoke softly.

"My thanks. I understand that these items should have been auctioned off, and am willing to make a contribution towards what they should have recouped. However, I also assume that you are aware that in the grave circumstances the Hive is currently facing, their monetary value will be substantially degraded? Not to mention that our present mission is of utmost importance to all of Primus' inhabitants… your own Precinct House included. I hope that these facts will be taken into consideration in your estimations?"

Spoiler

Barter Test (for the group, if that is allowed?):
Fel45, Roll: 33, 1DoS.

Assuming that is successful, Reynard will take 2 Hotshot Charges and 1 Red-dot Sight, for a total of 80 Thrones, minus whatever percentage his Barter Roll has garnered.

Edit: So, both items are Scarce and with GM approved 20% discount, that's 80 x0.80 = 64 Thrones.

Edit edit: Actually, will add a second Firebomb to a pocket, they were useful against the thugs, so will be 68 Thrones total.

Edited by Lysimachus

I'll just deal with this here because it's faster!

@Lord_Ikka The 300 Thrones is Nicios' to do with as he pleases. You can pool the money if you wanted something big, for example (like a team purchase), but otherwise that money is yours. Further, Barter is a Basic Skill, so you can use it at half stat, but you also have Trade: Merchant. This is important, because you know what the value of these items is. I won't call for an Evaluate Check here, because you're getting items at market value anyway (the Arbites are regulated, after all). Combined with @Lysimachus successful Barter Roll, I will allow a reduction in all prices of Common and Scarce Items by 20% since you've been fair with the QM. Adjust your spends boys, those pennies count!

The Armoury:

The QM passes the items out and takes your money. She gives Reynard and Nicios and appraising look. "You know, you look like you can handle things. I am authorised to disburse payable bounties for fugitives."

She frowns, her blonde brows hooding blue eyes. "With all this chaos, our normal contractors will be swamped, and we need some real bastards dealing with."

Nicios

"Thank you. What type of people?"

As he waited for an answer, Nicios swiftly attached the sight and began to reload his magazines. One of the four remained full with standard stub rounds as his final option; the other three had eight manstopper shells and a final regular shell- hopefully the less powerful standard round would give a slight tactile feedback when it came to needing to reload while the manstoppers would help against any armoured enemy. 

Spoiler

Cost of items - 70, with discount 56. 

Total remaining funds - 17 Thrones. 300 saved (just in case they are needed for a group buy...)

Edited by Lord_Ikka

Ooo, Sidequests..!

The Armoury:

The QM offer a lopsided grin, then produces a dataslate, leaning over the counter where you can see it, she scrolls through. "Have a look at these lovely people."

Bounty 1:

Spoiler

Name: "The Chef"

Last known location: Lower Hive

Crimes: Arson, Murder, Assault, In-Vevo Cannibalism, Unlawful imprisonment, Weapon violations.

Notes: Burgles properties, traps the citizens inside, roasts and consumes them.

Bounty: 1,000 Thrones

Summary Execution Warrant Issued.

Bounty 2:

Spoiler

Name: Ms Lorentza Gattaca

Last known location: Mid-hive, Sector 117, Sub-strata 03

Crimes: Cyber-terrorism (and Conspiracy to commit), Extortion (and Conspiracy), Theft, Weapons violations, Gross indecency (6 counts).

Notes: Has a sick relative (Aunt) in Sector 239, mid hive residential.

Bounty: 300 Thrones

Summary Arrest Warrant Issued.

Bounty 3:

Spoiler

Name: Mr Tarkan Pirentus

Last known location: St. Iacinda's Cradle tavern, Spaceport sub-deck 02, Sector 033.

Crimes: Extortion, Racketeering, Illicit Gambling, Weapons violations, Witness Tampering, Perjury, Illicit narcotics (Supply and Distribution), Illicit gambling, Murder, Theft, Fraud, Kidnapping.

Notes: Organised crimelord.

• Add Conspiracy charges to all listed crimes - Haldane.

Bounty: 5,000 Thrones.

Summary Execution Warrant Issued. Shoot on Sight.

Reynard:

Reynard grinned as he perused the final bounty. It read like his own rap sheet. Such a person could be a useful ally… maybe even better than the 5k reward? If Primus survived.

"We're pretty swamped ourselves, but we'll keep an eye out. I'm heading to the refectory."

He turned away. Eat and rest when you could, especially when opportunities were limited. He was pretty sure that if the Hive had become as chaotic as everyone was saying, then such things would be scarce outside the Arbitrator's gates. Valkyrie was still waiting in the morgue, but Bardas was down there already, and the tech-adept should be able to find a way to reestablish their contact with Verdict without assistance.

Spoiler

OOC: Reynard will eat and drink (and hopefully sitting down for a bit while waiting for the others will dispel any lingering fatigue). If Tro is out of comms for a bit, can we ask if Bardas can search Valkyrie's armour and check for a way to contact Verdict and reestablish a link?

Kerr Restal:

He came alive as he was re-united with his gear, with pets. 

Swiftly and silently he moved up to the Quarter Master who was conversing with the Weasel. 

"Contracts" 

He steepled his fingers. 

"Very interesting!" 

Falk:

The others fell upon their weapons with glee, a good thing perhaps given the opposition that lay ahead. Falks eyes though turned towards the pistols, 'Tranter -Pryse .577' was the make given by Karthago, same caliber as the arbites Carnodon pistol and twice as dangerous to the wielder.

No two were the same and not one by the Pryse factorum but they all looked sturdy enough. Pulling one of the customised shells from his coat he compared it to the weapon.

Kerr Restal:

His ordeal had caused him to gain insight into how to improve his skill set. If there was room for improvement, then perhaps it was time for an upgrade.

He had not loaded his weapons within the armoury when they had been returned to him. He took off the sling from his Combat Shotgun and proceeded back to the Quarter-Master.

He placed his Combat Shotgun down on the counter between them, and shown that it was clear. He further unloaded his forty shotgun shells from his webbing and placed them into shell boxes.

"This trusty piece has served me faithfully and true, however it is time for a replacement system." He patted the Combat Shotgun reverently.

"I would like to trade her and these forty shells in for a pair of Las Carbine's, another sling and a pair of Recoil Gloves. I believe that Nicios can cover any shortfall in Thrones."

The Armoury:

The QM's eyebrows shoot up at Restal's requests. "Well, alright, but we won't be paying out for the shotgun shells."

She points to the reloading benches. "As you can see, we're minting them fresh. I suggest your friends split them up."

So, the total I've worked out, minus discounts and buyback for the shotty is 206 Thrones. (2 x Lascarbines - Common Quality, 2 x Recoil Gloves - Common Quality).

Falk:

Buried amongst the confiscated hand-cannons was a piece of borderline tech heresy excessive even by a the standard of the underhive, almost as heavy as his shotgun and likely to draw as much derision as fear in a stand-off. Likely commissioned by a gang juve with a big score and no sense it never the less looked the least likely of the bunch to explode in his hand when trying to fire the custom rounds.

Noticing that Nicios has acquired additional funds, "Armour piercing rounds, anything high power. Those mercenaries are too heavily armoured for regular munitions".

The Mortuary:

Bardas:

+I require more information. I must assess the damage to finalise calculations,+ Bardas intones, emotionless.

Nodding, the Verispex Surgeon gently pulls back the sheet to reveal the grievous wounds Valkyrie has suffered. Livid bruises and contusions wrap the nude body, deep gouges pierce her chest, cleaving through collarbone and into the vital organs. A holographic image springs up around the body, showing the deep tissue trauma. There would have been no way to save her.

"The Divines teach us Saints are made this way, Adept."

Bardas pulls the sheet back to restore Valkyrie's modesty, before turning to the power armour. +I must interrogate the machine spirit of this wargear. I will need a sanctum.+

"Of course, Adept. Follow me to the tech centre."

+It is shielded with the protections of Saint Faraday?+

"As the Opus ordains it."

Bardas chuckled in a slight buzz of Binharic. +The Cog is wise. Now, seal us in. No-one is to disturb our work here."

The doors shut.

The Tech Lab and mortuary are now closed off, but the Verispex forensic labs are open, should you wish to visit. Bardas and the tech guys can be reached through the intercom system.

Edited by Mazer Rackham

Reynard:

Shifting the long leather holster strapped diagonally across his back, Reynard moved purposefully through the Halls of Judgement. He'd have to get used to the weight of the combat shotgun. However, having eaten, rearmed, and most importantly clothed himself in his preferred manner of dress, he was feeling much better.

Back to work, then. Reynard still wanted to make contact with the Vault, and that meant finding out how Bardas had got on with examining Valkyrie's armour.

Taking directions from several Custodians along the way, he found the route to the Verispex labs and within, finally to a wall mounted two way vox.

"You in there, Bardas?"

The Labs:

A screen flickers to life, displaying Bardas about his work. He has the armour broken open, and cables, conduits and relays are arranged in an intricate weave. It looks a lot like metallic spaghetti erupting from the suit.  The helmet in particular appears to have grown a cybernetic raft of Rapunzelian hair. There's a sigh as Bardas turns to face the pictor covering the room, and once more depresses the intercom button.

+The armour has been greatly aggrieved. I am assessing the damage. If there is a comms line or vox transmitter I will attempt to establish contact.+ he looks at the riot of coloured wires and pulled plugs.

+It may take a while.+

Edited by Mazer Rackham