[DH1e] The Damocles Contingency (RPG IC)

Mazer Rackham

The Mirador:

"Some Frateris Militia intervened I believe, and too the wounded to a shrine-hospice. As I say, reports are unclear as to how the incident transpired. Our intellicams record the entry and departure of all vessels, as do the dock officers, but the angle for this is not good."

He activates the fourth screen, and you can see the back three-quarters of the lander in the bottom right hand corner. There is some sparking which flashes across the screen from the flank of the vessel. Drake plays this footage until the lander begins to furiously smoke, then erupts into a ball of flame. He then switches the view to another angle. There seem to be a few more ground crew swanning about the landing lane, carrying fuel lines and stowage boxes, but even from this angle, the front of the lander is obscured by a squat, bulk hauler. Again some sparks, smoke, then the eruption.

As the lander comes apart, this angle is a little ore spectacular, showing the riot of shrapnel.

The aftermath is as Drake describes, with damage control servitors rushing to douse everything, before the Frateris Militia, whom, prior to the explosion were decanting from their own lander, rush across to give whatever assistance they can. The only clear image of any value is a supine body in a flight coverall being picked up from the tangle and carried away by two of the Militia.

Reynard:

"Looks innocent enough, but the Prioress said it was definitely an ambush. I'd be inclined to believe her? Those 'militia' do seem to be moving pretty efficiently…"

He looked back at Drake, a slight grin on his face.

"Given how we arrived at the Halls of Judgement, I'm unclear on exactly where we are within the Hive. If House Canthus is our next target, can we go via the spaceport and examine the scene? I assume with everything else going on, little will have been done to clear it yet? There may be items there that will aid our investigation."

That was an interesting thought. If the attack had been a quick smash and grab, there was no guarantee that the enemy had known about or secured the vial Stitches was carrying back to the Vault. Could it also be waiting in the wreckage?

"In any case, I suspect we would gratefully accept your offer of an aircar, as long as it is reasonably… nondescript?"

The Mirador:

Haldane moves to a map of the hive on the wall. "We're here."

The Halls of Judgement sit within the Upper Hive, the large pale cream/off-white block at 90 degrees from the top of the Templum of Iacinda. This block also houses stuff like the Adeptus Ministorum, Munitorium, etc. It's 'the bureaucrats block'.

Drake half-smiles. "The air car is a simple, sturdy transit model which we use to carry bulky, non-essential equipment. As long as you don't plan to ram a strongpoint, it should serve you well." He look across at Falk. "With both your credentials, I am sure even the Frateris Militia will co-operate. Knowing you represent the God-Emperor, perhaps more so."

It's basically a flying transit van. Can't be more nondescript than that! Craft (Flyer, Civilian).

The Praefector continues. "Even taxed by the circumstances, I have no doubt the Adepts of the Mechanicum and emergency response will have adhered to containment protocol. I have no documented inspection reports or Verispex team records. The scene should be secure apart from the rescue efforts."

"If there is nothing else, gentlemen?"

Edited by Mazer Rackham

Falk

Nodding at the conclusions drawn, "by now the tech-adepts would have recovered and logged the crash scene in some detail, if their report has not been tampered with it may provide us with answers".

"With regards to Canthus I would suggest fresh clothing and a sigil of question, a plausable line of inquiry that would not needlessly spook the household as to our full intent." He considered the many crimes that the mercenaries had committed, "a tech priest in the middle hive was attacked and left for dead, it would be a reasonable and expected explanation for an investagative group accompanied by a one of the mechanicus".

Recalling the events, "Hef Kestis and Karthago are both associates of Greyson who might aid in his apprehension if this attempt fails, the former if he survived his wounds. I also have some concern that Gwynne Aldario may become a target and have taken measures to keep her name from the recent warrants. Her assignment to the astropathic choir may or may not have limited her exposure to these events but she remains our most... co-operative link to her father."

The messages to his daugher indicated he had some kind of plan for his family but there the connection ended. "Do the central records indicate his fate, or indeed his earlier life? A cogitator core was recovered from the warehouse amongst his possessions."

Kerr Restal:

The strategy meeting began to disburse as their course of action was decided. Falk, Nicios and the Weasel had a plan of going after House Canthus with the aid of the Arbites.

The party were going to check out the remains of Voyager's Shuttle at the spaceport. The Weasel had found some new clothes and as he had moved about Kerr Restal had noticed a familiar package.

Rising from his seat, he approached the Weasel.

"Greetings Fenella, a new master I see!" He tossed a shotgun cartridge to the Weasel.

"Reynard, that mean old lady needs a firm grip. She delights in making sure that people don't have a nice time at both ends!"

As they walked towards arbites hangar, he cracked his knuckles. "Who's up for a nice time? Let's see what we can get out of this new ride."

Edited by Machine God
typo

The Mirador:

Haldane gives a grunt of approval. "We can do that. We'll draw up a couple of different warrants -  maybe a blank Material Witness and a Habeus Corpus writ. Anybody worth his salt will know to resist those orders is a crime. When you're done with your current employer, Falke, I think you should come and work directly for me."

Drake shares a sly smile with his Intelligencer Provost. "Do you want a protection detail on these others, this Kestis and Karthago? Lady Gwynne? I can only spare a couple of men. As to Lord Aldario - he died many years ago. Body never found. He was riding in a private lift car when the cables snapped. He and seven courtiers plunged to their deaths."

"This cogitator," Haldane says after a pause, "maybe our Verispexers can take a look. As to your clothes, we are the Intelligence Detachment. I'm sure we can find some mufti for you."

Edited by Mazer Rackham
Tied into post above

Reynard:

Reynard caught the shell in one hand and grinned at Restal.

"I'll admit the lady is not my usual type. Why don't we consider it a loaner? If any of us survive the next few days, I'll happily reunite you?"

With a nod towards Drake and Haldane, he left the Panopticon heading for the impound. As he went, he tried his microbead again. This time it connected immediately with Bardas. After a moment's discussion, the team channel was patched in to the Vault.

"My lord Vigilance. I understand our tech-adept has already filled you in on events thus far? Do you have any further information for us? Our plan is to find a way into Canthus' territory… but if you have any better ideas, now would be an excellent time to share them?"

Reynard:

The vox crackle doesn't hide the dulcet tones. "Lord Vigilance? Yes, this is very appropriate, but I also think you have hit your head. We are processing a lot of information here. Tech-Sentinel Bardas has informed us of Valkyrie and Voyager. We have an asset in orbit, and will despatch him to the surface at once to provide extraction when ready."

He clears his throat. "We are still receiving demands to deliver Inquisitor Locke, but trust you are pursuing all leads. The Emperor expects."

Reynard:

"I'm sure he does," Reynard muttered. Was the old man being inscrutable just for the sake of it?

"Regarding Locke, remember what we agreed about dying being a good way to hide? I still think he must have been here on Damocles? Maybe even still is. You found anything that might corroborate? If I'm right, he might have come here the last time an Inquisitorial Black Ship passed through, maybe that might narrow your search?"

Falk

Body unfound after a lift car accident... in the underhive perhaps where such things could fall for miles to places best left unwalked, but a private car in the upper hive? Implausible.

"By now Karthago has likely gone to ground and Gwynne is best protected by anonymity, but Kestis could not have strayed far in his condition." Falk shook his head, "but I do not think he is in immediate danger, A possible avenue if we fail to locate our target. Greysons may not be above cutting and running."

There seemed little more to say and less reason to drag things out, warrants and verispex information could be relayed via secure transmissions "Permission to depart, Sir?"

No doubt the appropriate dataslates and seals would be made available by the time the group had assembled and readied to leave.

The Mirador:

"Permission granted, Officer Falke. Emperor watch over you, and hold your deeds as His Justice." Drake stands, making the sign of the Aquila.

Haldane, dons his helmet, salutes the Praefector and leads the party outside. It is but a few moments before he taps a few runes on a dataslate, before handing it over. He looks at Falke. "I always have writs ready. Just in case."

"I'll vox ahead, and have some civilian togs brought to the hangar. With any luck, the lads will think there's a jumble sale on."

Reynard:

At the hangar, Reynard walked around the boxy vehicle, looking it over carefully. Hardly stylish, but it seemed well suited to the Arbites' - and their - needs. Big enough to insert a squad into an area of interest, plain enough to do so quietly and without attracting too much attention. Well maintained, but not so pristine as to draw the eye. Not armoured to military spec, but the thick panels should at least render small arms largely ineffective.

Climbing aboard through the wide loading shutter at the rear, he moved through the small cargo compartment with a bench along one side and into the pilot's cabin. There were two chairs, pilot and co-pilot, so he took one and started checking through the start up procedure. The design again seemed fairly standard, with a mid-sized power generator that wouldn't win any standing start races but should reliably keep on flying for days.

Nothing like the souped-up getaway machines Reynard preferred, but at least he was confident he could easily handle it.

Spoiler

OOC: I think Reynard (Ag45+Civilian Pilot) and Restal (Ag35+Civilian Pilot+10) have the best stats for taking the wheel, if that is agreeable to everyone? (At least until we meet up with our proper Pilot!)

Right gentlemen, it is time to talk turkey about this vehicle.

Spoiler

This is a reinforced hull Ferrox-Obvium Recreational and Delivery vehicle. It's known for having no indicators, an exceptionally loud radio, a very inefficient fusion drive, and the windows sometimes stick half open, forcing the driver to gesticulate wildly with his arms at other air-car users as to his preferred intentions.

Vehicle: Aircar Hauler

Type: Flyer (Civilian)

Tactical Speed (in this case manoeuvring/parking/approach speed): 10mph

Cruising Speed: 70mph

Manoeuvrability: +0

Size: Hulking (so -10 to Dodges, +10 to hit you)

Armour: F/S/R all 10.

Crew: Driver, co-driver

Passengers: 6, or 1/2 Tonnes of cargo.

Reinforced Hull: Critical Damage is halved (including from ramming and collision damage).

The Hanger:

One of the Arbites Engin-nears in his half-red,-half blue-grey working uniform ceases cleaning his socket wrenches and spanners to look at the crew boarding the hauler, with a slight wince on his face. "Be gentle with her, eh?"

Kerr Restal:

In the hangar was their steed, an ubiquitous off-white boxy aircar. The Weasel had already boarded, but he pushed past to be second.

Nearby an Arbites Enginseer in a half-red,-half blue-grey working uniform with a slight wince on his face, shouted across, "Be gentle with her, eh?"

"What's a bit of paint, here and there?" joked Kerr Restal, as he climbed inside.

He settled into the pilots throne and buckled the four-belt harness up and put a headset on.

"I see that you called Shotgun, heh Reynard? Well buckle up and we'll see what she's got!"

He grabbed hold of the controls and began flicking switches seemingly at random, his Voider senses eager for speed. The rest of the party were subjected to a dixie horn blast.

Nicios

"Restal, get us in the sky. I have a feeling that our time limit is much less than we've been lead to believe." 

Nicios grunted as he sat down in the aircar. He clicked off the safety of his pistols, loosened the sword in its sheath, and began to spin his ring. It was time for work.

Edited by Lord_Ikka

Reynard:

Reynard nodded and spoke into his headset.

+Hangar control, we are ready to depart.+

"What do you think, Kerr?" he pulled out his cartograph, tapping to bring up an image of the upper parts of the Hive, "From the Administratum level here, we might as well drop down the exterior skin and then re-enter at the Spaceport?"

The Hangar:

If anyone does change their gear, narrative is fine, we can assume you did so before clambering aboard. The route outside the hive will provide more speed (1 hour travel), but will require some piloting tests due to the winds, extremities of environment and the penetration of shipping lanes. A passage through the hive will be slower (1.5 hours) but will require significantly fewer piloting tests due to the controlled manner of the traffic and the more protected enclosure of the hive.

Edited by Mazer Rackham

Kerr Restal:

Eager to be off eventually everyone had boarded, the others were getting restless too and antsy. He gripped the control stick in a firm caress, his feet danced on the pedals.

The Weasel squawked over the vox.

+Hangar control, we are ready to depart.+

"What do you think, Kerr?" said Reynard as he flashed a cartograph showing an image of the upper parts of the Hive, "From the Administratum level here, we might as well drop down the exterior skin and then re-enter at the Spaceport?"

"Restal, get us in the sky. I have a feeling that our time limit is much less than we've been lead to believe." Nicios shouted from the back.

Irritably he gunned the engine and spun the aircar a full 180 degrees horizontally. Hope he falls over.

"Yeah, good finking. Spaceport, a little Voyager flying!"

With a grunt, cough and a roar, the aircar shot out of the hangar.

"Express elevator, going down!" Kerr Restal whooped.

AGL35 +10 (Pilot: Civilian Craft +10) = 45. Result: 16, Pass 2DoS

Edited by Machine God
typo

The Hangar:

"Control to Hauler 1-01, all clear."

The Arbites hangar vanishes as Restal drops the throttle and nearly inflicts a dougnut shaped heat scar on the plascrete deck. The Hauler throws the occupants about inside before tumbling through air, and keeps going, bypassing the designated X/Y/Z axes traffic lanes, and out into the external off-lane. Plunging into a magnetically contained tunnel, the striplights on the walls slip by as Restal keeps the moderate engine gunning. The clutch has obviously seen better days, and the sudden demands placed upon it make it sound like you're driving a turf mower.

The mouth of the tunnel increases in size from a thin wafer, to a letterbox, and finally a gaping maw, until you are vomited from the throat of the hive. Spat out into the cloud cover, while pillows embrace you, smearing the air-hauler with thick streams of rain, which quickly wick away in silvery tears, cuffed from the screen by the wipers. The vents are partially open, and the scent of fresh dampness and sharp ozone permeate the cabin, cooling it a little with freshness.

Then, once a few hundred metres from the hive, the true ride begins, as the leviathan which birthed you ceases to mother you with its great bulk, and the winds buffet the car with challenging updraughts and cross-currents. The controls writhe in Restal's grip, and it soon becomes clear that at this altitude the air hauler is a little coracle beyond the safe harbour, and now cruises in open water.

The clouds break here and there, and the true, staggering majesty of Damocles Primus is once again revealed to those who have seen it before. Small specks dot black against the poisonous yellow smog cloud below, as other brave commuters try to cut the time from a journey, risking being smashed against the mighty edifice, coracles broken and splintered on the cliffs in the swell.

The journey will take one hour, as previously noted, however, whilst there is little traffic to evade, once you come towards the spaceport, there will be shipping to worry about. I require four Piloting Tests of increasing difficulty, each resembling the increasing currents and traffic. These tests may benefit from Assistance. The Tests are as follows:

• 1 x Challenging (+0) Pilot Test
  • 1 x Difficult (-10) Pilot Test
  • 1 x Hard (-20) Pilot Test
  • 1 x Very Hard (-30) Pilot Test

Please try to narrate these tests as best you can. Should you fail any test by 4 or more DoF, Bad Things Happen.

Hauler 1-01:

True to imperial craft the Hauler was a pig. Built to last, slow and dependable. 

Alright enginseer what miracles have you given her? Kerr Restal hoped for something, anything other than a Bardas train ride.

AGL35 +10 (Pilot: Civilian Craft +10) +10 (Reynard Assist) -0 (Challenging) = 55. Result: 80, Fail 2DoF

A loop and down towards the spaceport, the hauler clipped a rising bulk hauler loosing an auxiliary antenna. 

Murphy, I shouldn't have joked about the paint.

Bouncing and twisting from the collision, the shuttle.

He wished...

The  hauler assisted by gravity hurtled downwards gathering speed, when it narrowly scraped through a formation of Thunderbolts.

AGL35 +10 (Pilot: Civilian Craft +10) +10 (Reynard Assist) -10 (Difficult) = 45. Result: 12, Success 3DoS

The vox was crazy with angry squawks from the disgruntled Imperial Navy pilots, so he clicked it to silent with a slap of his hand.

He plunged the aircar into the smog to turn around, although he practically had to stand on the brakes as he pulled the hauler back.

You'll impress the Gropos if you get them landed in one piece, scared and not dead is the best.

Rising out of the smog like the shuttle that the hauler wished it was, it was time for the next challenge. Another near collision saw the hauler clip a descending Aquilla Lander.

AGL35 +10 (Pilot: Civilian Craft +10) +10 (Reynard Assist) -20 (Hard) = 35. Result: 69, Fail 3DoF

Kerr Restal pulled the hauler out the crazy barrel roll and headed for the spaceport. He turned audio on the vox over to the spaceport arbites frequency that they'd earlier been given and squawked the idents.

+++Spaceport this is Adeptus Arbites Hauler 1-01, we are coming in to land hot so we'd appreciate you getting out of our way!+++

AGL35 +10 (Pilot: Civilian Craft +10) +10 (Reynard Assist) -30 (Very Hard) = 25. Result: 08, Pass 1DoS

Maybe the hauler would fly again, but at least they'd got to their destination.

"Thank you gentlemen, for flying with Macho Grande airways. If you would like to disembark, I believe that we have an investigation to carry out."

"Did you have a nice flight Reynard?" he said with a grin.

Edited by Machine God
Tidy up

Nicios

"Next time...we take a cab."

Nicios extracted himself from the jumbled remains of the passenger cab/cargo bin. He checked his pistol to make sure the magazine was still secure and properly seated. Patting his coat, he located all his equipment and readied himself for the next part of the job.

Reynard:

"Smooth."

Reynard grimaced. He wasn't sure he could have done better, but he would have done it more slowly at least. He hoped the hauler was still flyable, they still needed it - unless the new transport Vigilance had promised would arrive sooner than he had thought?

In any case, they had things to do. Examine the ambush site. Maybe get a damn drink to settle his nerves back down?

Hmm. Come to think of it, wasn't that bar where that 5k bounty had last been spotted around here somewhere?

Falk

As the vehicle spun through the air Falk could only imagine that they had come under fire, a fresh ambush. No impacts came but by the time they reached the spaceport he had more than once considered that the Emperor might grant him mercy with a quicker death than this.

It would at least have taken an even less stable individual than Restal to have followed them here, hive scum would relish the thought but professionals of the type that hunted them likely would have prioritised their own survival over attempts to trace the same path, and would be easy to spot in their wake.

The Spaceport:

The techs watch as the beaten up hauler comes in. As it lands and rocks on the remaining grav-plates, one of the control vanes falls off with a sharp clatter. Almost as one, the technical Enginseers and other assembled ground and control crew start clapping and offering sarcastic comments at the spectacular landing.

Apart from the usual cargo and diplomatic traffic, there doesn't appear to be anything recklessly out of the ordinary other than the hauler's landing caused.

In fact, several patrons, pilots and staff are doing their best to avoid the madcap landing, wanting to be away from it through fear of either those aboard or being associated with them by the officials now moving to investigate.

"Hold it right there!" one of the port authority wardens bellows. "I'll need to see your permits!"

Across the hangar, you can see the sectioned off portion where the lander was. It is closed off with heavy fire curtains, containing the scene inside. To your left is a large, cleared space of the docking area, illuminated by a trail of running red strips. It's quite a substantial reservation.

Edited by Mazer Rackham

Falk

Glancing at his dataslate Falk assessed the writs issued by Haldane. As expected in conjuction with their requests for a grav-transport and civilian clothing the slate contained a vague but high priority authorisation for access to the crash scene. He had seen the like before issued on behalf of those in the upper hive who wished possessions and errant relatives recovered without their names attached. An indulgence as it was known to the Arbites, enough wealth to overlook a potential transgression before it escaped into public view.

Holding up the dataslate, "special recovery."