[DH1e] The Damocles Contingency (RPG IC)

Mazer Rackham

All - Briefing Room:

The man reintroduces himself once everyone has settled, a gentle nod of acknowledgement to Reynard.

The world of Damocles floats in a gentle spin, tilted on the axis of rotation, sulphur yellow and azure blue pockets over the small bodies of water that remain on the planet's surface, the world polluted by poisonous gases long before humanity began to delve into the crust to deliver the material identified by the Adeptum Administratum and Mechanicum so long ago.

The world sits in an unenviable position, one a of a string of minor worlds staring across the so-called Damocles Gulf, and the uncharted stellar reefs of nebulae within, watching the folds of the galaxy for the predators that the Imperium have beaten back time and again. The insidious alien menace known to all as the Tau.

Known to all as the Enemy Without.

Vigilance zooms in, the view dropping through the ammonia-nitrous layers, clouds heavy with acid rain, until the gilded spire of Hive Primus, and the undecorated spirelets thrust outwards, a giant Erinaceine, waiting to spear the unwary. The view shifts to show the hive in side elevation, tiers upon tiers of strata housing the convulsing masses within, protecting from without.

Like any mass of humans crammed together, the possibilities for disaster boggle the mind.

It is to this thought, that Vigilance clears his throat.

"Something malignant slithers through this hive."

He pauses, face now quite devoid of mirth.

"Seven standard Terran days ago, a member of the Ordo Sepulturum, was murdered. This minor Ordo was operating here with our blessing. The nature of their work was unknown to us, but we are assured that it involved Contagion Threats from the Enemy Beyond."

"Being the nearest asset, when we deployed a strike team, we received an ultimatum."

Vigilance looks to the back wall, his gaze passing through it, into a measureless stare. He takes a breath.

"We must publicly execute Lord Inquisitor Garrad Locke, within fourteen Solar days."

Edited by Mazer Rackham

Falk:

The xenos... Falk knew little of them, another alien threat clawing at the Imperium. The word 'Tau' was not spoken amongst those in the hive below safe perhaps the fanciful stories of voidfarers fallen from their post and weaving stories of towering machine abominations and burning worlds in the hopes of being thrown a coin or two.

"A demand without proof of threat? Such words from a xenos would surely go unheeded even if their vessels were striking at the very planet as they spoke them", it seemed incredulous to Falk that an Inquisitor of all people would spare the shortest moment for such a thing, this was no govenor cowering in their palace for fear of knives in the shadows, "what was found... where was it found..." Falk trailed off, that these scrapegraces were chosen for such a task implied that someone with power on this world had sold their loyalties.

Kerr Restal

All of the others has entered the briefing room and taken up seats. 

It was clear from their movement that some had procured weaponry or had it returned. He saw jackets bulked out and the Guardsman in the spiked helm carried a Lasgun openly. 

Kerr Restal made way for the Guardsman so that he could stand at the back of the room. 

Apart from a garotte and a concealed knife, Kerr Restal felt that the balance of power had shifted. He took a vacant seat on the top left and he watched the brief. 

Reynard:

Reynard listened for a moment, then snorted softly. Worrying about 'why's or 'if's... as though they had a choice in the matter, as if they had some part in making the decision! If the one who had gathered them wanted the job done, they were in no position to argue.

Hmm. A public murder. Simple enough to carry out, as long as you had the right information - a time, a location, an idea of the target's defences. The hard part was to get away clean afterwards. Long range worked best, but none of his fellow 'Novitiates' looked like a sniper. Short range? For that, you either had to be a fanatic willing to accept your own death soon after that of your target… or you found a fool to wield the knife on your behalf.

Which, of course, was probably the very reason this group had been gathered. Expendable, deniable, quickly forgotten.

He looked over at Vigilance, a thin, cold smile flashing momentarily across his face.

That will not be my fate, my lord.

Edited by Lysimachus

The pieces finally shifted into place like a blacksmith's puzzle. He had heard of rumors, myths, from other inmates over the years in the various penal legions with which he had served of the Throne's secret society, the shrouded army of the Inquisition, the hidden hand of the Imperium. That was who he served now, those who would offer him a taste of freedom in exchange for a servitude far more dangerous than one with the Guard, somehow.

What was being asked of them seemed like insanity on its face. He was no assassin, he was a line-soldier, a man-at-arms for the God-Emperor. And they were being asked, nay commanded, to publicly execute another lord of the Inquisition? The vague charges that this new officer, Vigilance, alluded to certainly sounded Heretical, even if he had little idea as to what many of those words meant, but being a hardened survivor not only of front-line combat but also the lethal social hierarchy of prison life led him to suspect this could just as easily be the result of internal politics which had reached the inevitable conclusion of clandestine violence.

However, it was not his place to question his new masters; his was to be the mailed fist and the headsman's axe. 

Kerr Restal

Kerr Restal played back the brief in his mind.

Vigilance cleared his throat.

"Something malignant slithers through this hive." said Vigilance, his face now quite devoid of mirth.

"Seven standard Terran days ago, a member of the Ordo Sepulturum, was murdered. This minor Ordo was operating here with our blessing. The nature of their work was unknown to us, but we are assured that it involved Contagion Threats from the Enemy Beyond."

"Being the nearest asset, when we deployed a strike team, we received an ultimatum."

Vigilance looked to the back wall, like he was trying to stare through it. He toot a breath.

"We must publicly execute Lord Inquisitor Garrad Locke, within fourteen Solar days."

"So we as Novitiates of the Inquisition are directed to erase a high ranking Lord Inquisitor. Plausible deniability?" stated Kerr Restal thinking out loud.

"Of course we will be furnished with all the pertinent information and hardware needed to carry out the mission!"

As he was speaking Kerr Restal aimed an imaginary sniper rifle at Vigilance, worked the bolt to chamber a round and then he slowed his breathing.

"Bang!"

Will I get a sniper rifle? Kerr Restal asked HIM.

Vigilance weathers the stares, the increased temperature caused by hot anger, and the slight scent of adrenaline. The latter makes his nose twitch, but otherwise his face is inscrutable as he slowly pans back and forth across the room, ignoring the obnoxious antic from Restal. He suddenly stops, and bows, making the sign of the Aquila.

But not to the assassin.

A shadow darkens the doorway briefly before entering. Tall, powerful, this newcomer is garbed in a hooded mesh coat, mixed with various types and marks of carapace armour. His face is hidden by a blank, smooth visor. You didn't hear him enter the habitation area at all. As he passes some of you, your teeth hum in the effects of a stummer. He turns on his heel to face you.

"I apologise for being late. You may call me Verdict."

His voice is familiar, and it is only due to the distortion from the hololith relay that you realise this was the man from the rotunda, responsible for your new electoos. "Your umbrage is well considered, Nicios," his voice is moderate and without any defensive heat. "But your target is misplaced."

Vigilance, still bowing, retires three steps before straightening and giving Verdict the room.

"My apologies," Verdict adds, sincerely. "To answer Falk's challenges, I will be candid. Please do not judge Vigilance's reticence too harshly."

Verdict smiles thinly, coldly. Hidden and anonymous on his face, nonetheless, it carries in his voice. "When the Sepulturum agent was killed, we went to secure his research. Unfortunately, six days had already elapsed. When we were poised to enter Hive Primus, where the agent was located, we received the ultimatum you heard. We did suspect the Tau of the transmission, as some xenotech has been recently seized by the local Arbites."

"We were given fourteen days to make the sacrifice of an Inquisitor Lord. If we do not, Damocles hive Primus, Secundus, and Tertius will be destroyed by detonation of their nucleonic stacks. Again, possibly a Tau ploy. Regardless, we believe the culprit is within Hive Primus. And Falk is right, usually such nonsense would be ignored, scorned."

Verdict's voice hardens. "Yet the threat is credible. You must trust me, I can say no more. Several agents are compromised, and biometric information about Acolytes within this cell were appended to the message."

He looks over to Kerr Restal, turning his head slowly. "I am not surprised by your eagerness. It was why you were chosen. There is, however, one tiny wrinkle you should be aware of."

Verdict pauses for a few heartbeats. "Inquisitor Lord Garrad Locke was executed for Heresy, one-hundred and fifty years ago."

"If you have questions, I will answer them."

Edited by Mazer Rackham
Cleanup

Kerr Restal

Another armed man entered the room, very light on his feet this one.

"You may call me Verdict"

After the newcomer spoke, Kerr Restal placed him as the man in the rotunda when they had gotten their electoo's.

Verdict turned his head slowly and regarded him. "I am not surprised by your eagerness. It was why you were chosen. There is, however, one tiny wrinkle you should be aware of."

Verdict pauses for a few heartbeats. "Inquisitor Lord Garrad Locke was executed for Heresy, one-hundred and fifty years ago."

"If you have questions, I will answer them."

"Certainly, I have a pertinent one Verdict. How does one kill that which is already dead?" asked Kerr Restal.

Edited by Machine God
typo

Restal:

Verdict leans back against the hololithic projector, silhouetting himself quite deliberately. "By destroying their name and works, usually. In fact, it is likely that is why our culprit doesn't know Locke's fate."

"We wouldn't accede to the demand in any event. It is, as Adept Nicios alludes, outrageous. From your reactions, I think most of you agree."

His shoulders relax, hinting at some small relief.

Nicios

They've prepared well, all these agents have psi-dampeners. Nicios smiled grimly as he studied the blank masked man, and mort importantly, the words he said. Xenos. Not what I usually hunt.

He sat back, watching now.

Reynard:

So… not an assassination. Rather, a hunt for those that wanted the death of a man already dead. Wonderful. 

"You fear you cannot act yourselves because they may have identified you? Hence our recruitment? We are to find these thieves, these enemies of Inquisitor Locke... whose information is a century and a half out of date."

Reynard frowned thoughtfully.

"They've presumably gone to quite some effort to destroy and steal from your allies' installation, but now their only demand is his death? Are we sure they're wrong? I've died a few times in my life… people tend to stop looking for you if you're a corpse."

He looked at Verdict.

"How did Locke die?"

Edited by Lysimachus

Garvek is normally quite good at shielding his emotions.

Normally.

In this distance, his aghast shock and dismay is quite evident as he leans forwards in his chair, raising a hand to his face. Assassainate a Lord-Inquisitor? Truly the God-Emperor had finally turned his eye upon him to drag him to this pinnacle of outrageous absurdity...

As the situation is clarified, his shoulders sag in relief. This. Grox-fethery. Shadowplay. The illusion of compliance. This he could to.

So great is his relief, that in an extraordinary lapse he lets out a brief, shrill laugh.

As attention is drawn to him, he straightens up, attempting to once again attempt a veneer of professionalism. 

"We getting the heretic's biometrics? Height, skin tone, blood type, things like that? "

Information about his personality, his speech patterns and such would also be damned useful, but medicae questions first..

Reynard:

Verdict's helm cants to meet your queries.

"You have the right of it. You all have either no history with Damocles, or just enough history to be able to blend in without complaint. We have been forced to liquidate a lot of contacts, leaving a hole in our intelligence network. Compromise cannot be tolerated."

He pauses. "Locke was convicted of Heresy at the Eleventh Conclave of Beta-Agrellan IV. He was sentenced to death in absentia, killed by a long range rifle shot. Very messy. Records are of course sealed, but our Astropaths are blowing blood vessels to get them opened."

Vigilance pipes up from the corner. "I hear being dead is a popular tax dodge."

Stitches:

The shrill laugh snaps Verdict's head around, and his blank visor hovers, a stare certainly behind it.

"We're working on it. We have someone that could attempt a mimic, but I have no doubt they would be gunned down and the hives destroyed anyway," he sighs. "In fact I know they would."

"No. We have fourteen days, we should use them."

Edited by Mazer Rackham

Nicios:

Verdict nods.

"We don't know how he died, the call for assistance came from both his implanted bio-monitor, and the auto-cogitator in his sanctum. I cannot help but think his death and the ultimatum are connected. His research may be the key. Why else threaten something so desperate to keep us at bay?"

"You will have to appraise as you find."

Falk

Falk sat back in thought, "Hive Primus, does the research of the Sepulturum agent remain untouched?". It was the most direct link to any of this, more certainty of it being watched than any agent they might shadow. It was perhaps too obvious a target but if others were sent in it might reveal a watcher, the first link to what must follow.

Otherwise only two paths seemed prudent - seek what method might be employed to attack the hives, or assume that the Inquisitor still lived... he would after all means to access the information about the acolytes provided with the message, and the means to carry out the threat.

Reynard:

Reynard winked at Vigilance, his expression one of genuine amusement.

"Among other crimes… so I've heard."

Reynard knew how to get the things people wanted. He knew how to ask questions, how to find answers. Uncover the things others wanted hidden… and vice versa. Solve problems. Being a fixer was almost like being a lawman that way… not that he liked the comparison.

"Two leads that I can see. Check the facility. Find any physical evidence left by the killer. Track him back to wherever he's hiding and whoever he's working for." 

He turned back to Verdict.

"The other is to figure out why killing Locke is so important to them. If the Inquisitor is the key… no pun intended… we need those records unsealed. Who was he? What was he working on? Why was he convicted? Was he connected to Damocles in any way? Who were his enemies? As to his 'death', how was the kill confirmed? Long range, so presumably the shooter didn't walk over afterwards to check for a pulse? Could he even be one hundred percent sure he'd taken the right target down?"

He grimaced suddenly.

"Or maybe Locke means nothing. Maybe they know he's long dead. A distraction. Something to keep you focused while they run off with your friends' research? Could be a straight up heist..."

Reynard reined himself in. He was getting too caught up in the thrill of the game. He'd done enough to show he was valuable. Now it was time to negotiate.

"This all sounds very dangerous, sir. At the risk of offending your more… pious… recruits, what's in it for us?"

Edited by Lysimachus

Stitches/Falk:

Verdict takes both questions at once, wrapping them into a single answer to digest between you.

"Ordo Sepulturum is a minor order. They deal with Contagion Animus and Pathogen Vectors. The sanctum biologis he worked in was directly attached to the hive heat-sink. On compromise, the facility should have been autoclaved instantly. We cannot verify that took place. Our salve-beacon intercept told us several experiments had been destroyed."

"He was based in the hive for easy access to samples."

Reynard:

Vigilance offers his usual, to you at least, amiable smile.

The man he bows to, exhibits none of even that fake, glowlamp warmth.

"Your thoughts take similar paths to ours. There are many feints and counters here. Such is the work of the Inquisition. As to reward, is not service to the immortal Terran Lord enough?"

Now there's a smile in his voice. It's the hint of someone who knows the game, maybe even an invite to play it.

Edited by Mazer Rackham

Bardas had sat quietly, puzzling over each bit of information, as he learned it, seeing if he could find a way to make it fit.

+++Destroying a Hive is no trivial matter, for the threat to be credible to you, you must have already found evidence of the tampering of the hearts of each hive, otherwise occam’s transonic razor suggest that guarding and inspecting the stacks would avert the consequence, rendering the threat hollow. +++

After a furthre moment he added thoughtfully.

+++When a machine spirit is ailing, and all the rites, nor physical maintenance, do not rekindle it then look for that which is not there to be seen one of the teaching Magos always used to say. Our attention has been drown to your fallen colleague, to the Hives, a dead traitor and a number of your staff. So where are we not looking?

Wich agent’s biometric data was not appended? Compromising a component is one feat, using it as proof of potential is another, but why reveal all when some will do?

Are there any other important sites of note or people valued on par with a Lord Inquisitor that are now here that weren’t before?+++

Edited by Trokair

Bardas:

"What you say holds much truth. Unfortunately we have discovered no discrepancies in the reports we have intercepted from any Mechanicum maintenance data stacks from any of the hives - but the threat is real. I must ask myself if the reports are genuine, or being fabricated."

"Throne help us if it is the latter."

Verdict considers your other points.

"We have three agents within the cell who were not revealed, but as you say, we should not assume that they do not have all our information. We risked much by even sending Voyager for you. It is the reason you were all brought to us, as opposed to recruitment in the field, somewhere neutral."

"The suggestion is that the sanctum biologis was not autoclaved, or perhaps one of our own turned against us."

"There is only one person of station who could be on par with Locke, and she is not here."

Edited by Mazer Rackham

Nicios

"Then I assume our first stop would the Sepulturum sanctum, to discover both the method and whether that agent is indeed deceased, and find out what was taken or destroyed. Unless there are areas that others would be keen to investigate?"

He around at the others, "Any ideas? This is not my normal method of hunting..."

Reynard:

Reynard waited, moving closer to Verdict in order to speak at a lower tone, heard only by him and Vigilance.

GM:

Spoiler

"An honour and a privilege to serve Him, of course… just as the Emperor always watches over and provides for his faithful servants…? I'm sure the Sororitas in the Apothecarion could name chapter and verse?"

"However… I have found that the Immortal God Emperor, praised be his name, sometimes seems to have greater concerns than providing for my humble needs… so I try to save him the trouble by making my own arrangements whenever possible. A man has to eat, or his service to the Golden Throne will be brief."

He shrugged.

"My requirements are fairly simple. Food, accommodation, transport. Then there are sundry costs; other necessary equipment and supplies, information to be bought, bribes to be paid, and so forth. Based on my experience of Hive worlds, I would say that one hundred Thrones per day would be sufficient, to be paid at the beginning of each day until the task is complete, up to a maximum of fourteen days, at which point we will have succeeded… or died in the nucleonic fires."

"Further, if we successfully complete your mission, I will receive a bonus of a comparable amount: fourteen hundred Thrones… and you will also guarantee the total deletion of all files pertaining to my past activities - including Mister Vigilance's 'tax records' - as well as the immediate removal of this… thing." He calmly raised his right hand, palm out.

"Does that sound acceptable?"

OOC: I'm not 100% sure how wealth works in DH and therefore how reasonable/extravagant Reynard is being in this request? Tried to base it on the mid tier DH daily supplies costs, plus extras, but if its being greedy (probably appropriate! :laugh: ) feel free to haggle/laugh in his face!

Edited by Lysimachus

Lord Ikka's/Nicios' comment seems to be to the room at large, so I will let other experienced characters chip in here.

Reynard ONLY:

Spoiler

Verdict nods gently at your sales pitch, giving the feel of some conspiracy between you. Vigilance just watches on. The former hunches his shoulders and brings up both palms, open, elbows tucked to his ribs. The posture is one you have seen many times, and demonstrates a man who is willing, but powerless to help.

"Good fellow, you are right of course. The cantrips do tell of the great beneficence of the Emperor, and also how the worker is entitled to his just rewards," he lingers a moment on the last. "And a man with such a variety of voluminous pockets must indeed wish to fill them."

"Yet the current circumstances rob us all of time and currency, and who could ever value your intelligence, cleverness and understanding to their proper worth?"

Vigilance grins. It is one of those grins you might describe as grox-droppings gobbling.

"Such perilous times! Perhaps, if you will forgive the pittance, we could agree to an immediate bursary of 50 Thrones, renegotiated into a monthly stipend thereafter. You may keep our generous gift of an almost undetectable electoo, and we shall keep all our records."

"Sealed from any prying eyes, of course! Think of us as your insurance brokers, doing you the favour of keeping everything tidy!"

I'm still getting my head around the money thing too - IIRC it's basically a monthly roll, depending on what you can steal etc. I will look more into it, but it will likely be of little consequence to this campaign since it's a one-shot roll. There will be opportunities for loot if I can work them in.