[DH1e] The Damocles Contingency (RPG IC)

Mazer Rackham

+++ While the shrine that was mine duty is far from the nuclear heart of a hive, and I know little of the spirits of such temples, may I have sight of these reports?+++

Neither V had answered directly as to the his voiced suspicion, had they failed to see it themselves, or did they suspect could not say so as to not alert any falsebearers in their midst? Something to bear in mind for later.

Nodding in agreement to the Nicios words  he continued.

+++ If we are all to go and investigate we will need secure coms for amongst ourselves, something secure and strong enough to operate in the depth of a Hive and close to the interference that might emanate from the Heart if it is ailing, and some radiation scrubbers and stabilises in case of the same.+++

Reynard:

GM Only:

Spoiler

Reynard found himself struggling to keep his smile from becoming a snarl. Fifty Thrones??? Was that per day or their total offer? He'd survived on less in the past, of course, and could probably supplement it by… other… means, but it would likely make the next fortnight spent in this grubby Hive far less comfortable than he had become accustomed to.

And the evidence of his past actions? Well, perhaps he had been asking for too much to have it expunged entirely. In the unlikely event any of them survived, he doubted this would be the last time the Inquisition wanted his help. They would never give up such leverage. But as long as they were using him, he could use them.

He looked around, as though considering the paltry offer, then noticed something else. Something he wanted. He looked back at Vigilance.

"Very well, very well," he acceded in mock disgust. "I accept your terms of fifty Thrones… though I am undoubtedly cutting my own throat by doing so…" he grinned.

"However, that is with one small stipulation… a simple one, easily fulfilled. I want an hour with whatever tool you used to hone the axe-blade that our tin-headed friend over there seems so proud of. My knives need sharpening."

(OOC: With your largesse, oh magnanimous and almighty GM, I was originally hoping to take Mono for Reynard's knives but couldn't afford it with my pitiful starting money. If he can use the machine - or is it some kind of Servitor? - to improve the edge of his blade, he'd probably be happy with that in lieu of a more substantial amount of cash?)

Edited by Lysimachus

Bardas:

Vigilance leaves his huddled discussion with Reynard to break off at your request. He proffers a dataslate.

The reports are an information table, with correct inload and exload headers for the manipulation of machinery you would expect:

Spoiler

+Initiate cycle: 0300hrs/Local/Sol.

//Power route alpha-nacelle//uprate 0.5TeV- max load 0.7s - execute run

//-terminate.end.exe 24 - incipe GO|TO=2

//Power route beta-nacelle//uprate 0.5TeV - max load 0.7s - execute run

//-terminate.end.exe 24 - incipe GO|TO=3

//Power route gamma-nacelle/uprate 0.7TeV - max load 0.5s - execute run

//-terminate.end.exe 24 - incipe GO|TO=4

//Power route delta-nacelle/uprate 0.3TeV - max load 0.9s - execute run

+ Output manifold potential//

- nucleonic: core 1 (97.8%), core 2 (96.9%), core 3 (96.4%), core 4 (87.8%)

+ Begin shunt/alternative battery/MAINTDEM Ex-Rout.998- op.hrs (3,672) //Addn: Core 4 = 3.2%

+ MAINTcycle.exe.complete.

Reynard ONLY:

Spoiler

I expected you come back with some more smart talk/negotiation bud, but really the Inquisition does not pay very much (it's based on your previous salary, and the rate is monthly) and it's the opportunities to loot/pick up/steal/kill/sell like any dungeon crawler that are supposed to make the difference.

Verdict nods sagely. "Of course, the opportunity to sharpen and maintain your weapons will be provided by our armourer once the briefing is complete. There will be some time to spare whilst we arrange transport to the hive."

"Our own armourer - Victory, will see to your blades."

This will upgrade your weapons to mono, if that's alright?

Edited by Mazer Rackham

Kerr Restal

"If you will all excuse me gentlemen, I need to pray and receive enlightenment!"

Kerr Restal got up out of his chair and left the Briefing Room.

Shortly afterwards he entered the Apothecarian and he headed towards the prayer shrine that he had seen on his earlier recce. He could here running water coming from behind the left door.

Someone else showers, he thought. The Sororitas?

"I must pray, I will not disturb anyone" Kerr said out loud to the room.

He lit a Votive Candle, knelt down and began to pray seeking answer.

Edited by Machine God
Tidy-up

Reynard:

The trickster bowed low, doing his best to portray a servant appreciative of the largesse of his master.

It was not everything he might have wished for, but this Verdict was apparently nobody's fool. It would do… for now.

GM:

Spoiler

Yep, I figured I wouldn't get much more out of you! :tongue:

Seriously though, if you are ok with a one-off stipend of +50TG +Mono, then I'm very happy with that deal, and Reynard thanks you kindly! :thumbsup:

(I'll add those to my chargen sheet)

Of course, in the unlikely event any of us survive the next 2 weeks, he may want to renegotiate... :whistling:

Edited by Lysimachus

Restal:

There's an odd sound of feet shuffling, and joints cracking, followed by hurried slamming of water valves.

"Throne, you startled me, fellow," replies a male voice.

What you said sinks in, and still tucked away behind the white-tiled wall, he drops the volume to something more reverential. It echoes faintly in the compact, unfurnished space. "Apologies old man, the lady in armour said I could wash up before taking you through to the armoury."

A sturdy, yet hairless arm leans around the corner, pulling at garments. When he emerges, he is fully attired as an officer of the Inquisition, complete with bolt pistol and chainsword at his hip. Whilst his eyes seem to be old, his face is otherwise flushed from the exertion of hurried dressing. He smiles at you in that oddly familiar, yet apologetic manner of someone intruding into votive prayers.

He quietly makes his way out, a slight swing to his hips, nearly bumping into Valkyrie as she comes in carrying a tray of supplies. Momentarily startled, she sees you and nods, the halo effect of her presence reaching the corners of the apothecarion. She is silent in respect of your contemplation, armoured sabatons clunking on the tiles beneath the examination table, a metronome for your thoughts as you strain to hear the voice which has directed you thus far.

A sibilant whisper accompanies your prayers, and the clicking of chaplet beads.

Edited by Mazer Rackham

Falk

Falk nods at the requests of Bardas. Logical. "Without knowing who is compromised or watching from afar it would be best not to wield the sigil above to arm outselves, nor would it be wise to carry any device that might reveal our links here." He considered, "thrones, ammunition, the possession of heretics that have been seized and not yet destroyed. My own clearance should suffice for passage, to a degree, but the Mechanicum will not tolerate entrance to the core without good reason."

Already he began to plot out routes and contingencies, and some excuse by which this mismatched bunch might escape notice as they travelled across the hive.

Briefing Room:

With the confidential conflab dissolved, Verdict listens to Falk.

"I agree. We have an amount of clothes and equipment in the armoury that will not be out of place to your task. Common commbeads, trinkets, cartographs, even tox and rad hypos. I would suggest that you keep your Seals - to open the doors which have no other key."

"In order to survive, you may need to kill, to steal. You will be forgiven these crimes, as they are the nature of your duty and the fulfilment of oath and mission. However, do not mistake this leniency for license!"

Verdict looks at Falk, the clarity carried in the undertone. His black glass visor is expressionless, but invested with the intensity found in the  lawman's reflected face.

"Now, unless there is anything else, we move. Time is short."

Edited by Mazer Rackham

Briefing Room:

Verdict stands up from where he's been resting on the hololith.

"For infiltration, I will give you over to Voyager when we pass into the armoury. Suggest method as you will, our options are plentiful."

I will pause here now to allow folks to reply to Verdict, but as Falk observed the meeting is wrapping up.

Nicios

"I will gladly avail myself to the armoury, thank you." 

Nicios bowed politely to Verdict and walked out of the briefing room. He turned left and went to the large door that was previously locked. Taking his Inquisitorial emblem out of his jacket, he placed the bottom of it on the locking panel. Micro-keyed engrams in the emblem activated the panel and the door opened silently. Beyond he saw another hallway, with a doorway that clearly marked an armoury. 

In the armory he saw an array of items that Verdict had mentioned. Nicios quickly went to a table containing micro-beads and, after checking to make sure all the beads were tuned to the same frequency, he placed one of the beads in his ear. Next, there were two small medicae cases of injectors which contained anti-tox and anti-rad meds. One of each was placed in his jacket. Looking around, Nicios wondered if there was anything else that would be useful for the future. 

GM

Is there a supply of ammunition available? I have a feeling that the two reloads worth of regular ammo Nicios is sporting for his stub auto may not be enough and was looking for some man-stopper/dumdum rounds and/or extra rounds in general. Anything else of import in the armory?

Edited by Lord_Ikka

Kerr Restal

Finishing his prayer, Kerr Restal rises to his feet and bows to the shrine. 

"Sororitas" Kerr Restal says reverently. "A male voice spoke to me whilst I was in prayer, but it wasn't Him." Kerr Restal made the Sign of the Aquilla. 

"It mentioned an Armoury. Is that where the others got their weaponry from?" 

Reynard:

"Suggest methods as you will, our options are plentiful."

"Smart move would be to use all of them. Split us up. The seven of us arriving back in the Hive together would draw every eye. We could pick a location closer to our initial objective to meet up once we're in?"

I'm going to let the team debate Reynard's proposal amongst themselves. Essentially the choice of what to do is yours, sufficient personnel will be available to transport you. The only consideration you should have, is that if you plan something nuts, Voyager will be the best option.

Restal:

She smiles, as benign and innocent as the statues of saints arrayed across the worlds of the Imperium.

"Rare is the heart who hears the word of Him on Terra. Rarer still the one who interprets without changing the meaning. The armoury is through the door there," she points. "Your own personal weapons should have been delivered to your chosen bed rest in the dormitory."

Garvek sits through the rest of the briefing in silence. He double checks his gear. He pears inside a pouch, nondescriptly, as if checking what's inside.

It took barely a handful of seconds. All of it was familiar to him. An injector - nondescript but of good quality - reusable. A dose of slaught, frenzon, two of stimm... and one of obscura. Expensive, and of purely recreational value. Everything else in here he could be expected to administer to one of his so-called comrades at some point for some reason or another. Not this. It certainly wasn't for his own pleasure. That left one possible reason for them to have provided him with this.

A bargaining chip.

A small card to have up your sleeve, but he'd take what he could get.

Edited by Beren
Wrong name.

Having looked through the report Bardas stowed away the information for later retrieval should it be needed. The data itself looked clean, unhampered to his mind, as for the substance, it was beyond his learnings but it may yet be of use. He also noted the numbers on core 3 and 4 and the variance from 1 and 2, if the Inquisition did not find the numbers of remark then it must be within the realm of accepted tolerance for a temple like this.

As the meeting drew to a close he followed the others out and to the armoury. Still in thought over what they had been told, he let his hands wonder over the equipment, seeking out suitable comms and other useful tech.  Some of the gear was clearly of inferior quality, unsanctioned reproductions or worse, but then they had set that this was all salvaged.

Finding enough usable components he got to work.

Spoiler

Tech Use

Int 34 + 10 Technomat (if you will allow it): 44

D100: 36, Pass, 0DoS  – so not that secure, was worth a try.

Once he was satisfied that he had a working unit for each of them he sought out each in turn and silent handed them out, displaying only a short message on a date pad.

Players Only:

Spoiler

[] These have been raised into a network that is as private and secure as I can make it with the tools to hand. Nobody else should be able to listen in, but cautions is nether the less advised, we don’t know how comprised our new masters really are. []

Task done, and as a test of the comms, Bardas replied to Reynards suggestion.

++ We should do as suggestion ad arrive by separate ways, further more perhaps those with experience should let the rest of us know how to lose anybody following us once we have left this house. ++

Falk:

As Bardas organised the comms Falk sifted amongst the equipment for a chrono, setting a timer to match that given by the original deadline. "The ultimatum was given as the original team of acolytes approached our target, we must consider it under surveillance and mask our intentions there as best we can. But it is also an opportunity if such surveillance remains".

Turning to Voyager, "how close did they get? ... and how might we disable the autoclave if it is still active?" He glanced across towards Bardas as he spoke, the mech-wright would have to be amongst those to examine the site, the sactionite too.

Reynard:

Hmm. Not exactly 'the best of the best' for the great and mighty Inquisition?

He strolled around the 'Armoury', casually picking up and setting aside weapons and other equipment. More like a sumpside mudlarkers den. He understood that this was the whole point, to supply items that would not stand out as different… but surely they could still have scrounged up better than this?

Extra ammunition was always welcome though. A standard Las clip joined the one he already had, and he filled one of his deeper pockets with a handful of shotgun shells.

There were numerous smaller items handed out as well, just as Verdict had promised. There was a chrono for each member of the group. Then handheld cartographs loaded with the schematics of Hive Primus - undoubtedly incomplete, but much better than nothing. Both items were essential if they needed to divide and coordinate their efforts. Treatments for toxin and radiation poisoning similarly took up little space, but might prove lifesaving.

These items vanished into his myriad pockets. Reynard doubted anyone else could even guess how many of those he had. Exterior, interior, more than a few hidden around the thin flak padding sewn into the coat's lining. Half a dozen in his waistcoat, small tactical pouches along his belt, plus his various holsters and sheaths. Yet the trickster knew immediately and exactly what each and every pocket carried, his mental inventory always accurate. It was a simple knack, but one that had saved his life more than once.

Finally, the Tech-adept… Bardas, was it…? passed out a set of linked micro-beads. With a deep nod of appreciation, Reynard took one and fitted it in his ear.

+++It's not too hard to spot a tail. Don't be predictable. Speed up. Slow down. Stop. Take a detour. Keep your eyes open. If someone is trying to follow, it will show.+++

He paused, considering, then grinned.

+++Try to be subtle about it, though. If the tail doesn't know you know, you might be able to lead them back to the rest of us. Then we can make them tell us who they work for and where we can find them.+++

Then he turned back to where the agent he assumed was 'Voyager' waited.

"What options do we have for ingress, friend?"

Edited by Lysimachus

We'll just move along to the armoury so that everyone is 'there' as a fresh instance.

Falk:

Voyager is lingering at the back of the armoury as you check over the offerings. He nods at the mention of his name.

"We got as far as appraoch to the space port. We didn't land. The message didn't come to us, it was passed to flash traffic to Segmentum Command, then through our Inquisition chain."

Verdict takes up the other question. "The autoclave override should be slaved to terminals in the sealed antechamber."

Reynard:

Voyager lists them in accompaniment to flicking fingers up. "We've got a train, a small lander to the spaceport pad near Saint Iacinda's Templum, there's an overland caravan which marries at the external terminus, or a cargo pod on the mine belt."

Nicios

Listening to the others, Nicios stepped to a separated dressing room. He stripped off the quilted vest and his tattered hood, replacing them with a dull, but well-maintained grey suit that went reasonably well with the flak coat, making him look even more like a Magistratum or Munitorum minor official. With a sigh, he put aside his collapsible Telepathica stave, as that would be a dead giveaway that he was not what he seemed. Now dressed, he walked back to the armory proper, retrieved a chrono and cartograph. Time to get some more ammunition for his weapons if possible. He would need more if this investigation turned sour, his normal loadout was deliberately light- his powers designed to disable other psykers might not be enough. Luckily, it looked like the Inquisition had some extra rounds available. 

Taking out his primary firearm, he quickly checked it. A Trahaus-9 automatic, large caliber and heavy. A plastic, disposable nine round magazine fitted underneath the barrel and was easy to eject and reload. He picked up two more magazines and placed them on his belt. Reaching for the concealed holster at the small of his back, he replaced the three normal cartridges in his back-up weapon with heavy, wadcutter dumdum rounds. Just in case....

Nicios moved to where Reynard, Bardas, and Falk were standing with Voyager. 

"Where exactly is the sanctum located? What is nearby that might plausibly be destinations for travellers?"

Edited by Lord_Ikka

Nicios:

Verdict lifts his head as you walk into the room, immediately notices the lack of stave. He leans into the pile, and rummages to find a long cane, black ebonised lacquer and silver filigree top.

"To fill your empty hand?"

He leaves it on the table for you to decide. It looks sturdy and well-made. Not out of place for your magistorum persona.

"The sanctum lies on the border between mercantile houses Tirant and Grunberg. There is sufficient foot traffic there, and the sanctum did provide free prescriptions to those with a warrant for them, so it would be fair to say it was 'cosmopolitan'."

Nicios

Nicios picks up the cane and hefts it. Nodding to Verdict, he turns to Voyager.

"I believe the train would work best for me. I can pose as simply another Magistratum officer going to get a prescription or having some sort of other official business with the sanctum."

Thinking aloud, "Stitches may also be able to pass for having some sort of business with the sanctum itself, while Bardas, Falk, or Reynard could pass as needing to speak with members of either mercantile house. Maybe the other two could pose as guards or hired muscle?"

Edited by Lord_Ikka

'Stitches'

'Stitches' snags a couple of reloads for his las-pistol, shoving them deep in a pocket as he assembles the rest of their authorised gear. As he does, he tosses the tech-priest a quick glance.

Isolated comms. Smart, but then tech-priests were supposed to be. Somehow he doubted that they really were secure against their employers, but it was better than nothing.

'I can try. Maybe something about me being a down-hive cutter who had sent some alarming test results up to be checked. Don't know if this Sepulturum...' - Sepulturum - Contagion Animus and Pathogen Vectors. Great. Zombies. Supposed to be a damned children's story.... and I'm a medic. Great. Just great. Well, that ought to be alarming enough. '... fella was there in a offical sense or not, but if he was then maybe he was even the one supposed to be checking the results?'

Kerr Restal

"Rare is the heart who hears the word of Him on Terra. Rarer still the one who interprets without changing the meaning. The armoury is through the door there," the Sororitas pointed. "Your own personal weapons should have been delivered to your chosen bed rest in the dormitory."

Kerr Restal nodded to her in thanks and bowed once more. He turned and headed to the dormitory.

Upon entering the dormitory he could see that some beds had been occupied and things moved from them and lockers.

"Now if I was my bed, which bed would I be?" mused Kerr Restal, striding into the room.

He walked up to one that had not been disturbed, he turned left and noticed the pillow. He stopped immediately, dropped forwards on to his hands and lowered himself to the floor.

Kerr Restal then did a hundred press-ups to relax, after completion of his exercise he slid under the bed and locked up at the mattress.

Strapped to the frame of the bed was his scabbarded sword, combat shotgun and las-pistol in its holster, all of which he retrieved. From below he could see that the mattress was lumpy. He got out from underneath the bed to check the mattress and noticed that the pillow was in fact his Flack Trench Coat folded in half with his gloves inside and his webbing belts.

Using is knife he loosened the stitching of the mattress and found that the lumps were his shotgun cartridges. These he loaded into his weapon and the rest he slid into his webbing belts for fast replenishment. Using a needle and thread from within the lining of his trench coat he stitched the mattress shut. Whilst replacing his needle and thread he located in the lining his three doses of Stimm. In the footlocker he located his rations which he placed in his trench coat together with a full water bottle. 

Kerr Restal re-equipped himself in his chosen way. Las-Pistol holstered under his left, Sword scabbarded on his back over his spine with the hilt protruding from his collar in easy reach. Everything in order and everything in its place.

Kerr Restal then headed to the Armoury via the Ablutions.

Edited by Machine God
typo

Falk

Noting the choices of the others Falk indicated to Nicios, "best I accompany you, lest the ruse is discovered". To the others, "let no-one see the sigil you carry and speak to no-one of the hive cores. The starport will be under observation by many, draw no attention unless followed. Comms in..." Falk checked the train and shuttle schedules and calculated when short range communications would again be available, relaying the information to the others still assembled.

"If communication cannot be established, do not wait on the rest. Regroup if compromised at the heat exchange stack here -" Falk indicated a point on the map near the target, too inhospitable for most dregs to call home, a mass of pipes and heat exchangers - loud, hot, in constant movement, and not particularly explosive. The perfect place for an ambush.

Edited by A.T.