+++BCK's Vehicle Build Challenge - Winner Announced!+++

https://i.imgur.com/yM8KXrm.png

Update! Shipping will be completely covered anywhere in the world.

Welcome, brothers! The TL;DR is that I've got a Fire Raptor that I know I'm never going to build and want to give it away to someone while maybe inspiring some folks to build and paint a vehicle or two in the process!

Rules:

1) The challenge will start on Thursday, September 15th and end on Saturday, October 15th (which is coincidentally my birthday).

2) This is a build and paint challenge so the model can't be completely assembled already, but some progress is fine.

3) Kitbashing, converting, and 3d printed parts are all acceptable!

4) What counts as a vehicle? Since I want to be able to include as many entries as possible, I'm very flexible here. If it's got a pilot, a driver, a half-dead marine, or whatever controlling it, it's fair game but feel free to ask if you're not sure.

5) Is the challenge open to only 30k/40k kits? Nope! Adeptus Titanicus, Aeronautica Imperialis, and Necromunda entries are all welcome!

6) You can enter multiple times, but you must finish one entry before pledging the next. Only one entry will be considered for judgement and you will nominate which one you wish to enter.

7) Shipping to anywhere in the world will be covered!

Please use the following format for your pledge:

I, (your name), pledge to build and paint a (vehicle type and faction) for the Vehicle Challenge on or before October 15, 2022.

Please include a pic to show what state your entry is currently in with your pledge. Progress pics along the way are optional but appreciated!

Pledges:

1) Chaplain Raeven - Leviathan dread WIP1

2) Grotsmasha - Armiger transport WIP

3) Iron Father Ferrum - Falcon grav tank WIP1

4) Bouargh - Malcador Defender WIP1 2

5) Spasmolytic - Sicaran tank WIP1

6) Tech Captain - Knight Armiger Moriax

7) Dr_Ruminahui - Tyrant-class Knight WIP1 2 3

8) Brother Christopher - Redemptor dread

9) duz_ Galatus Contemptor  "Glatty" finished!

10) Trokair - 2x AI Valkyries

11) Xenith - Deimos Predator WIP1

12) Inquisitor Ginn - Kratos tank

Edited by Brother-Chaplain Kage

Oh man, I am all over this. Vehicles make me nervous- I've painted a ton of infantry this year (by my lazy-painter standards)- I have failed one challenge and failed to pledge in another, but I have successfully finished NINE of them. I've got a lot of vehicles in my pile of grey shame:

3x Venom

1x Razorwing Jet Fighter

2 unpainted Reavers and 4 unbuilt

Immolator, classic and new

Classic Exorcist

Corvus Blackstar

Venomcrawler

Classic metal HR Giger-style Chaos Dread

Redemptor Dread

So maybe I can do more than one? I'm thinking of leading with the Giger dread- I've been meaning to paint it up and dedicate it to Slave to Darkness, who inspired me to think more about my classic models by building a squat force before LoV were announced, and revisting the old RT rules. I will think about it and make my formal pledge on opening day.

Any of those sound great and you can definitely pledge more than you vehicle, but you have to finish one pledge before doing another. ;)

I'm going to see if I can knock out a Falcon in the time frame, but I'm missing a couple parts and I still have my ork to finish up for the mental health challenge as well. Anyway, my falcon in its current state.

image.png.74c9fc1e8fe021b544cc07729eeff04f.png

Oh man, I wanted to use this event to finally patch up my Arvus Lighter that has been collecting dust for years, but he's too far along. I don't have too many unbuild vehicles left, only a Warhammer World Landraider and a Leviathan dread. Luckily it makes the decision a bit easier, so I think I'll go for the Dreadnought.

large.130751565_DALevy.jpg.0b22f59b4d46f98af8ab01cc9483b24a.jpg

Edited by Chaplain Raeven
Text got deleted for some reason during posting

9 hours ago, Chaplain Raeven said:

Oh man, I wanted to use this event to finally patch up my Arvus Lighter that has been collecting dust for years, but he's too far along.

Looking at the kit, there's not that many pieces to it, so I'd say if you want to enter that you can.

16 hours ago, Brother Chaplain Kage said:

Looking at the kit, there's not that many pieces to it, so I'd say if you want to enter that you can.

I appreciate the gesture, but it wouldn't be fair. It's pretty much build, I only need to do serious gapfilling, redetailing, covering up badly cast sections, etc... The bulk of the hard work like the pinning is done, so most of the challenge is already over. I'll stick to the dread :biggrin:

large.Arvus.jpg.fe2f57aa3800883f0b7eab56730248db.jpg

Edited by Chaplain Raeven
Added picture for emphasis

I, Grotsmasha, pledge to build and paint a Knight Armiger / Drukhari Venom for the Vehicle Challenge on or before October 15, 2022.

So, my pledge is a little out there, let me explain, this year in the 12 Months of Hobby Challenge, I'm running a small series of additional challenges I've called Challenge+. The first Challenge is called "What If?" where participants were to take a Codex entry from one Faction, and create the same unit as if it belonged to another Faction. In my case I did what if the Tau had a Primaris Assault Intercessor equivelant? TPS however posed the following musing,  

On 1/14/2022 at 2:10 AM, TPS said:

This challenge sounds like a lot of fun! Since I have no immediate great idea for a unit, I rolled some dice and got Chaos Knights and Harlequins, which sounds very incompatible, but another game system gave me an idea that feels hilarious and silly in equal measure, so hear me out:

I'm going to Chaos-ify the Skyweavers into an invention of the Dark Mechanicum that performs a similar function to Elementals in Battletech. I'm imagining some form of chaos-corrupted cyborg unit (maybe Thallax?) that hold on to the carapace of a Chaos Knight when it charges into battle. They jump off at an opportune moment and go after targets the knight can't reach or try to outflank it. The haywire guns could be turned into a scrapcode weapon to attack enemy vehicles.

It would need twisting the rules a bit though, as I'll need to make up something that allows them to be transported by a Knight, possibly turning them into Infantry. Would this be acceptable?

The second Challenge is called "Copy Cat", where you take another participants idea and do your own spin on it,  TPS' idea IMMEDIATELY resonated with me and I chose to do the slight modification of What If the AdMech had a Venom-type unit?

So, thats what I'm going to do, a Knight Armiger with some AdMech Infiltraitors/Ruststalkers and a Skitarii with a long gun. I've been ever waiting for the last 7 weeks for the redframes to come in the mail, and today they finally arrived....

PXL_20220913_063159921.jpg

Edited by Grotsmasha

On 9/11/2022 at 4:58 AM, Chaplain Raeven said:

I appreciate the gesture, but it wouldn't be fair.

Fair enough!

5 hours ago, Grotsmasha said:

So, thats what I'm going to do, a Knight Armiger with some AdMech Infiltraitors/Ruststalkers and a Skitarii with a long gun. I've been ever waiting for the last 7 weeks for the redframes to come in the mail, and today they finally arrived....

That sounds fantastic and can't wait to see it! :)

I, Bouargh, pledge to build and paint a kit-bashed Malcador Defender  for the Vehicle Challenge on or before October 15, 2022.

I will try to make something out of this pile of sprues and bits, aiming at Space Marinizing the tank in the spirit of the HH Basilisks´ hull... starting from a Leman Russ Chassis.

May plasticard and putty help me in this journey.

Bill of Mat.png

Would a Armiger Count for this? I have a Moriax that I just started  that I would like to use for this challenge.

I, TechCaptain, pledge to build and paint a Knight Armiger Moriax of the Imperial Knight House Fásacha for the Vehicle Challenge on or before October 15, 2022.

(Pics will be updated when I get home.)

021ED6E8-DB3A-4F43-B2A0-1F0C90FF562A.jpeg

Edited by TechCaptain

56 minutes ago, Spazmolytic said:

Promise the final photos will be better than this one

No worries, lol.

39 minutes ago, TechCaptain said:

Would a Armiger Count for this? I have a Moriax that I just started  that I would like to use for this challenge.

Yes!

Day one progress: built in the morning, primed on my lunch break, base coats and layers after dinner.  It's not glued together yet because I still need to do some clean up on the engine nacelles, but this is about the fastest I've fone a tank model yet.

Colors are Chaos Black spray primer, P3 Sanguine Base, P3 Sanguine Highlight, whatever the new Tinbitz is called, and Hashut Bronze.

Pic incoming, having technical issues.

Falcon WIP.jpg

Edited by Iron Father Ferrum

I pledge 1 Tyrant class knight (so, a Castellan, but chaos) - hopefully I can get it done in time.

oHMkyoj.jpg

Funny enough, I built what is shown in the picture at the same time as BCK was posting this contest in the News forum - I saw the post when I went up to get a drink, and immediately paused my construction until after the 15th.

A quick update, shipping will now be covered no matter where the winner is! I've updated the top post to reflect this as well.

Dr_Ruminahui, thanks for holding off on the assembly so you could join. :) It's nice to see a varied selection of entries.

Yeah, that Sikaran (sp?) is going to be stiff competition, @Spazmolytic - the blue-green is gorgeous.

I was also working on assembling the Tyrant over the weekend and finished the base model tonight - it still needs to be chaosified.  I have left off the elbow armour as it looks too stylized and therefore too imperial.

bPr4e5L.jpg

The carapace weapons are magnetised (including the individual missiles, should the actual number of them left matter in a later edition of the codex), but the arm weapons are not as mine is an older kit that only came with these arm options - so no megaflamer and grappling hook for me.

Some progress to be reported: main hull structure is taking form. Should I rename from kit-bashed to scratch built? I let you decide...

Of course, no need to say that everything is not going out as planned. Lot of putty work to fill the gaps will be needed + the usual wisedom of "Measure Twice - Cut Once" should also be revised may be to "Measure Twice, Measure Again, Think Before Cutting, Are You Sure You really want to Cut here?...."

Final lenght of this largely revisited Malcador is more or less as a Land Raider. Width too.

Next steps are side panels for tracks before assembly of the blocks and detailling.

Edited by Bouargh

Wow, I had no idea your conversion was going to be that extensive! Awesome!

edit: Forgot to mention my own progress on the falcon; got it primed last night and decided on this paint scheme:

image.png.b81b467e6a25047d6ffd3b98cdb5bd89.png

The black area will be a cool dark grey color which I airbrushed on my lunch break today. Will get some pics up later.

Edited by Brother-Chaplain Kage