+++BCK's Vehicle Build Challenge - Winner Announced!+++

Have you seen what the new IF Contrast paint can do? Watch this Levi with a brown undercoat and white semi-zenithal layer turn into one of the most incredible yellow paint jobs like it's a magic trick.

Edited by Brother-Chaplain Kage

I might be off to bed shortly - unusually early for me - but I wanted to thank everyone for entering. :biggrin:

I'm certain I'll need a day or two to pick a winner because as it stands I don't have a clear one in mind. For anyone still trying to get in under the finish line, I trust you to keep to midnight in your time zone. :angel:

Had to get the post in before midnight.  Long day my back is killing me.  I saw there were some questions about the yellow…

Yellow is garbage.  Just realize your paint is effectively translucent I even if it’s not.  It just doesn’t cover.  Never ever paint yellow over black it will green out.  Always over a brown-ocre or pink-white.

Ive been fiddling with my IF recipe…

1. Duplicolor Sandable primer Red (NOT FILLER). It’s 10$ a can and awsome.

2. A dark Umber preshade. Honestly just skip this it’s not worth it.

3. Tentacle Pink, if no umber just leave some red in the recesses for your preshade.

4. Add an almost white, I used dead white.  Be careful not to use pure white or black.  They are just too extreme and don’t look right.  Always use a dark grey or whiter than Ivory but not pure white-white.

5. Sun Yellow (GW Averland) cover the pink, will give a very orangey yellow over the pink, that’s good.  It’s where your volume will come from.

6. Moon Yellow (GW Bad Moon) with some of the medium yellow ink to thin it.  The ink helps to add some stick/coverage to what is probably the worst tone of yellow in the world. This color should hit all your flat surfaces and really get you to yellow.

7. Micro set/sol for decals

8. Matte Varnish…. Let dry over night (Luxury I didn’t have lol)

9. Tamaya brown panel liner… goes with Umber preshade, but looks good if you skip the step 2 brown too (not pictured due to time and varnish not being dry)

I will use an enamel wash on the treads.  Varnish isnt dry enough to go in heavy with enamels…late start got me.  As is it’s a good high table top.  I’d have liked to add more depth to the metallics, not helping Is the hot desk light making them look washed out.

A second set of pics with my lamp super close to the tank.  This is show anyone curious what this yellow volumes are like up close… The original pics are better for actual appearance, eg the not washed out grey/blacks 

E7A93E20-430B-41FB-9CEF-4C7BAA7B44E5.jpeg

E01779C9-6EB0-4BC0-AA9A-B651A3D84BF9.jpeg

Edited by Inquisitor Ginn
Spelling

51 minutes ago, duz_ said:

Impressive work in such short time Inquisitor! 

Thanks.  I appreciate it.  Another day or so and it would have a lot more weathered look, not full blown grim dark/streaking grime but work on the metallics and panel liner work.  Glad I was able to do this, it was good to be able to include the WIPs, I know I was late, but I really tried to keep it in the spirit of the contest.

Good job to everyone else too.  Congrats on everyone checking a block off their to do list.  Fully Painted is For Closers!!!

Edited by Inquisitor Ginn

Inquisitor Ginn, amazing work, and I can't believe you could get it to that excellent state so quickly.  I doubt I could even do my rattlecan striped camo tanks that fast, and those are probably the quickest vehicles I have painted.

Even though I didn't pull it off, I'm happy at what I did get done and just need one last push to have a model completed to my satsifaction - I'll share the final product here when I do, so you guys can see what might have been if I had better time management. :biggrin:

Once again, BCK, thanks for putting on this event and putting forward such sweet motivation for completion.  I look forward to seeing who gets it - so many deserving entries.

Edited by Dr_Ruminahui

Marvelous job Ginn, especially for the short timeframe you had to work with. At least now get to start on the fun part of the painting. I hope you'll share the finished result.

8 hours ago, Dr_Ruminahui said:

Even though I didn't pull it off, I'm happy at what I did get done and just need one last push to have a model completed to my satsifaction - I'll share the final product here when I do, so you guys can see what might have been if I had better time management. :biggrin:

To be fair, a Knight Castellan is usually a multiple-week (or month) project, especially if you edge highlight. You've done a great effort and got almost all the way there!

Finished entries pics which have been cropped slightly and possibly re-sized to get them all in on one post, but otherwise untouched!

For those that didn't finish, let me say as someone who rarely completes a challenge and has a hell of a time finishing models even when there's not a deadline, any progress is good progress. :biggrin:

image.png.394a50bd7cf35fefbc9dc269cc9ac16f.png
image.png.ce08d3d2a6772297be8e9affd6e86d72.png
image.png.78252d460ae83a4243d7ec3675db6eaf.png
image.png.72483902c9084a4dbc672c6c5c3b7d36.png
image.png.a603d9ef0278c754d5f6e4acc62f80dd.png
image.png.22210e0d06b5510c1f324ca5e287f6b7.png
large.1755841955_BCKVBChallengeEnd.JPG.6
image.png.e6110636c010b9601c11d64b6be5bb7f.png

As I mentioned previously, you guys aren't making this easy on me and it might be a few days to announce a winner.

Edited by Brother-Chaplain Kage

Congratulations on the finished entries, Brothers. Good effort and a nice little challenge.

Regrettably, I have failed, but made some good progress. Were it not for the 5-6 days I've lost due to real-life stuff, I actually might've finished, too.

Here's a photo of what I managed to do with my conversion:

Oszau5b.jpg

If you're interested in more photos and future progress, you can visit my WIP thread.

3 hours ago, TechCaptain said:

So I had finished before this but I forgot to update because I am at an Army drill weekend. But here it is an Armiger Moirax of the House Fasacha,

I wish you'd been able to get this in sooner. :cry: I don't think it would be fair to the other entrants to include it in the selection for the prize.

6 minutes ago, Brother Cristopher said:

Congratulations on the finished entries, Brothers. Good effort and a nice little challenge.

Regrettably, I have failed, but made some good progress. Were it not for the 5-6 days I've lost due to real-life stuff, I actually might've finished, too.

I love the look of that! Feel free to post it in here once you get it finished, but I will definitely keep an eye on your WIP thread.

I know I said it before, but the decision on the winner for this one is one of the more difficult of the challenges I've run.

For two days now, in slow moments at work and some time after, I've been looking over the finished entries and one of them kept pulling my eye back to it.

+++Congrats Chaplain Raeven!+++

https://bolterandchainsword.com/uploads/monthly_2022_10/large.631494457_DL1Head.JPG.dbe53abc75d06b346b7dfdac72ca9de7.JPG

large.968335325_DL6Top.JPG.1d816b83a35f6b21404bae93671102cb.JPG

large.1077720214_DL2Left.JPG.f17de323e87bdd197c4cf5b86c01e4c1.JPG

PM me your address information and I'll get the Fire Raptor out to you!

Thanks again to everyone who participated. :biggrin: