+++BCK's Vehicle Build Challenge - Winner Announced!+++

I am so glad to have stumbled upon this thread and challenge. This happened right at the time I got around to converting a Redemptor Dreadnough. The legs and torso of the model are assembled, but they will undergo quite extensive alterations. I hope that the intended changes, together with the fact that the model's arms and weapons aren't assembled, will be enough to count for the "build" part of the challenge.

MY8MJ4b.jpg

I, Brother Cristopher, pledge to build and paint a Neurode Pattern Castraferrum Redemptor Dreadnought for the Vehicle Challenge on or before October 15, 2022.

Hopefully, participation herein will allow me to finish the project in a short time (unlike other similar endeavours that take ma >2 years).

It has teefs!

GeQE3CQ.jpg

Would have done more, but couldn't find the jewler's chain I had leftover from doing the shoulder trophies on my other knight - I'll need to pick some up this weekend.

Edited by Dr_Ruminahui

2 hours ago, Brother-Chaplain Kage said:

Extensive alterations with some building left to do? Absolutely. :)

Thank you for the approval! I will be posting progress updated showing the extent of damage done to the vanilla kit, as well as plasticard modifications.

I, Chaplain Raeven, pledge to build and paint a Leviathan Dreadnought for the Vehicle Challenge on or before October 15, 2022.

large.Leviathan.jpg.259d43ad5e858c40110b514632fa85a1.jpg

Real life managed to get in the way last week, so I'm a bit late to the party! Usually it takes me months to build & paint a model like this, so it will be quite the challenge, especially with a week less than I had anticipated.

There is already great progress in this thread, looking good lads! Especially that Sicaran looks great!

9 hours ago, Brother-Chaplain Kage said:

Those tusks look great! Is the chain going to run between them?

Thanks!  And I hadn't thought of putting chain between them - if I do, I have some finer chain (which I bought for my Lucius conversion) that I would use for that.  Rather, I intend to hang some bigger chain from hooks on the carapace and maybe hang some stuff from it... haven't worked that far out yet.

Trying to decide whether to cut the front mask to look more like teeth or leave it as is and either a) paint it as having teeth, or b) paint it normally.  I currently have it sitting with some black paint on it giving it the teeth look, so I can compare it with the picture I posted above in order to make a decision.

Lots of stompy guys this event.  By my wife's logic, them having legs means that they aren't "vehicles" but its probably for the best we go with GW's definition of a vehicle instead. :biggrin:

Edited by Dr_Ruminahui

Your update immediately made me think of the olyphants from Return of the King with all the stuff strung between their tusks. Different situation I know, 'cause those were done to kill infantry on the ground, but I was imagining grisly trophies hanging from it.

Day 10 since the kick off of the Challenge.

After some cutting, grindind, glueing, deglueing, reglueing.... at least we have side armour!

Todays´ task is fixing tracks and tracks guards. then will come time for more putty and gap filling.

Day10_view1.jpg

Day10_view2.jpg

BCK and Bourgh, your vehicles both look great!

Done some choasification.  The chains don't quite look right (my wife calls them Christmas garlands), but not quite sure what to do about that.  Might put some trophies hanging from the chain, but will have to shorten it if they hang to low and worried about making it look even more like a Cristmas tree :sweat:) Thinking about putting some grizzly trophies on its left shoulder, though the turret mounted there doesn't give me much room.  The "teeth" on the front grill are just painted - still deciding if I want to cut it like that.

431rn17.jpg

Here's from the side - replaced the big elbow shields on the original with aome smaller chaos ones.

dFAe812.jpg

Edited by Dr_Ruminahui

I managed to finish the legs on my Dreadnought. I think that this should mean that I'm way past the halfway mark and should also mean that I'm done with the most challenging and time-consuming aspects of the conversion.

TZYUls1.jpg

gDhoGMU.jpg

More photos, as well as some of my thought/comments are in my WIP thread.

7 hours ago, Bouargh said:

NIce so far @Brother Christopher.

What thicknesses do you use for the plasticard? The shield like knee pads looks very good and detailled

Thanks! I mostly used .25 mm and some .50 mm. The .25 mm sheets are almost like paper and bend well-enough to cover cylindrical surfaces, as well as to cut the finest of details.

Progress!  Hull and turret are all done with the top layers, might need a little highlighting on the gold.  Picked out a few jewels, plus tried my hand at freehanding the Altansar craftworld rune.  It's a little lopsided but otherwise I think it looks great.

Falcon Step 2.jpg

Edited by Iron Father Ferrum

Oh hey, an update! Looking good, duz_!

I got the canopies airbrushed for my falcon and, goodness, they came out so well. I haven't tried to do any airbrush color fading like this in a long time, especially on such a small area, and I was pretty surprised how well it turned out. Waiting for some gloss varnish to arrive in the mail, hopefully tomorrow, so I can get them and the weapons coated, and also paint the supports on the canopies black.

image.thumb.png.f39b03c0aa54bc103e1eb400a614aaff.png

On 9/26/2022 at 6:48 PM, Brother Cristopher said:

Thanks! I mostly used .25 mm and some .50 mm. The .25 mm sheets are almost like paper and bend well-enough to cover cylindrical surfaces, as well as to cut the finest of details.

with .25mm I met some issues with the glue (Tamiya): it is literally melting the plasticard. Thus got to move to contact polyurethane glue.

More suprising, the last batch of 1.5mm plasticard I got from evergreen developped some huge bending/shrinking once glued. Weird:blink:. I never had that with this material so far... 

2 hours ago, Bouargh said:

with .25mm I met some issues with the glue (Tamiya): it is literally melting the plasticard. Thus got to move to contact polyurethane glue.

More suprising, the last batch of 1.5mm plasticard I got from evergreen developped some huge bending/shrinking once glued. Weird:blink:. I never had that with this material so far... 

I'm sorry to hear about that. That's really weird, maybe you should try and make a complaint? It won't help with the time you wasted, but still.

I've never had any issues with mine. Admittedly, what I'm using isn't proper plasticard (from Evergreen) - it's a no-name product sold as HIPS polystyrene. It used to be dirt-cheep (I don't know the current prices), but I've always been happy with the quality, i.e. it hasn't developed any issues and I have some 8-year-old models made from the thing.