Cpt.Danjou

+++Unit of the week+++

CSM.jpg.a1934391d45672b1c98aa54c68e67db0.jpg

Master of Possession

This thread is only for tactics for Master of Possession, not for pictures, there are other places for that.

How to best use The Master of Possession?

• Warlord trait?
  • Spells?
  • Relics?
  • Legion?
  • Marks?
  • Which stratagems are worth throwing out?
  • Any solid unit combos?

Fairly straightforward one to summarise - the Master of Possession (MOP) is a very powerful support character, whether your going into a Daemonkin build or Core Units.

The most common setup I see and I think is the generalist one:

• MOP with the Relic Liber Hereticus, Mark of Slaanesh or Tzeentch, Pact of Flesh and Mutated Invigoration. 

You can cast three defensive powers a turn with the relic and a mark of chaos. So you typically buff up a unit with Delightful Agonies/Skeins of Fate and +1 toughness. You can also heal a unit/bring a model back from the dead (this also lets you gain movement as you raise the model 2'' within coherency.) 

If going a more Daemonkin build: Cursed Earth and Warp Marked are equally very powerful.  

The only reason to think about not taking a MOP, which is one of the best support characters in the game is that by taking a MOP you can no longer take abhor the witch secondary. 

36 minutes ago, Verbal Underbelly said:

Are they worth using in a list that doesn't feature daemonic units (e.g. possessed)? My list is basically legionaries, havocs and noise marines - do they have synergy with that? I normally default to the sorcerer for my 2nd HQ.

I would say that the MoP is worth using, Pact of flesh, which is the healing power can be used on core units, all the units you mention are core. The Slaanesh special power if you mark him, he can give the Noise marines a +5 ignore wound. Obliterators and Warp talons are daemonkin too, so they can have a use of a MoP. I agree with Relic, that the MoP is the best HQ we have. If I think I need more psychic power I just upgrade a legionnaire with a balefire tome.

I have used him in tandem with a Dark Apostle, buffing my terminators and Obliterators so they can control the middle of the board. 

Cpt.Danjou

Hot Take: I think taking the Master of Possession as your warlord in a Creations of Bile army could be really nasty. The combination of the legion trait, the Malefic discipline, and datasheet rules could make for a buff monster, or beatstick psyker that could go toe to toe with Grey Knight or Thousand Sons HQs and give them an especially bad time.

On the contrary, if I'm in a situation where I don't need to cast one of my utility powers then I can probably cast Smite instead and get a little damage off.  And if I'm in a situation where I simply don't need to cast a power, then yeah there's an opportunity cost loss BUT I also get a turn where I'm not tempting fate twice in the psychic phase for a Perils of the Warp.

On 9/10/2022 at 4:58 PM, Khornestar said:

Pact of Flesh has the most utility. If a turn goes by where there isn't a target for it, it's a huge waste

On he other hand, if there's no targets for Pact within 18" of the MoP, you're either in T1 going first, the opponent hasn't killed a model in their turn, or they're only shooting things >30" away from the MoP as they're scared of pact, so you'll probably win if they're making such bad decisions. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'd say it is a consideration if you're going down the Daemonkin rabbit hell hole. Typically people seem to take for 3 HQ slots -  a MOP (support), Dark Apostle (support) and then finally a beat stick (Disco Lord/Prince/Lord). Depending on how many core units you take, will help guide between a Disco Lord or Prince/Lord (for re-roll 1's). 

I think if you're going the Daemonkin heavier build, then you might skip the beat-stick character as the Daemon units tend to hit harder then the core units. The likes of Legionaries, Terminators, Chosen etc appreciate a character to do some heavy lifting, where Possessed/Warp Talons etc don't need it as much. 

Of course, you can always take the ultimate smash character in the form of Abaddon without taking up a HQ slot, freeing one up for an additional MoP. 

Edited by Relic

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/10/2022 at 1:48 PM, Pirate Empress said:

Hot Take: I think taking the Master of Possession as your warlord in a Creations of Bile army could be really nasty.

So we dont have to take Bile now? I love the guy but dont want to take him in every game.

• 1 month later...
13 hours ago, Snazzy said:

Am i mistaken for thinking you can use Sacrificial Dagger after the psychic test is rolled?  It doesn't specify that it has to be done before the roll.

You're not mistaken - however at least in my area events have ruled that you must use it before rolling.