"Knives In The Void" Painting Challenge 2022

Lysimachus

Oh no! I've rarely used the spray undercoats except Chaos Black, which is usually pretty good, so I can't offer much help there.

But yep, 100% fine to swap to a different squad if that will be more workable! :thumbsup:

Sorry to hear that! 
While I am far from an expert, my experience it is also that it’s preferable to work spray paints in an environment that is neither too hot or to cold as well as avoiding it being too humid or rainy.  Or just too  windy, for that matter :biggrin:. I’ve found the spray settles very blotchy in the cold - so that might actually be used for interesting effects on terrain?

Heat quite messes the pigments / paints as well but I have seldom felt like going outside with a can of paint and put a mask on in recent heatwaves anyways :biggrin:

It has taken me way way longer than I ever intended, but I declare my vow complete and present A kill team from the 7th Rhûnish Dragoons.

Thank you Lysimachus for running this event, it has been fun and you all produced some great kill teams.

My first choice of team, the new Kroot, I was unable to get a copy of, so instead I tried a little conversion project that I have had in the back of my mind for a while and I am happy with how they turned out. In fact I am planning to expand form the Kill Team to make it a 1,000 point army or thereabouts. In the months it took to finish the team I also converted and painted an enginseer as a colour test, and refurbished a second hand hellhound as a second colour test, so the force is already well on its way.

Some Fluff, which is rather haphazard and I will hopefully expand in time as I build more.  

The 7th Rhûnish Dragoons are a Mechanised regiment, hence why the Kill Team has a purely cosmetic Chimera (count as) with it, handily turning the squad into an Armoured Fist squad.

Brought into the fold of the Imperium of Man in the early days of the great crusade Rhûn is a fairly isolated backwater far from the heart Imperium at the end of single stable wrap route. This relative isolation meant that after the initial wave of imperial settlement Rhûn experienced little development, with the settlers sticking to their walled cities in the temperate regions. Rhûn is also plagued by feral orks that would pour out of the mountains and badlands every few decades.

The original human indigenous population, a nomadic people, welcomed the new settlers and especially the advances in technology they brought with them as it afforded them the means to better defend themselves against the orks. While there was some mingling of the people in the decades after the majority of the nomadic people chose to remain so. In their mind it was better to have the flexibility to move the get pinned down in one location. 

Maintain a large PDF, comprised mostly of the nomadic natives as they are familiar with the land, the imperial governance manages to keep the feral ork population in check, but never quite managing to eliminate them entirely. There might be years or decades of relative quiet but sooner or later more feral orks would amass in some unwatched corner of the hinterland.

The 7th Rhûnish Dragoons was one of 12 regiments raised in one go in midM39, initially setting out equipped with the gear from the PDF division they were raised out of over the years this has been supplemented by fresh  Departmento Munitorum supplies. To keep tribal tensions to a minimum PDF companies, and any Imperial Guard regiments raised out of them, are usually only comprised of members from one of the great tribes. In the case of the 7th Rhûnish Dragoons they are from the Jade Lake kindred.

Formed from the remnants of the 3rd, 5th and 8th squads, Veteran Armoured Fist Squad Alef has been dispatched for a infiltration mission.

large.77501880_7thRhnishDragoonsArmoured

Edited by Trokair

Superb job, mate! I love me a good kitbash, just shows how much potential there is in using all GW's mini ranges!

Last few days to go! The number of vows+completions has been amazing, but everyone who hasn't already, make sure you get your finished pics/fluff in! I'll close the event when I wake up (8-9am) on Weds 1st Feb, that should give everyone as much time as possible. (Then I need to figure out that poll... :biggrin:)

The paint stripping is progressing, but I’m worried I won’t be able to get the models up to standard in time for the end of the challenge. With that said, I think I may end up going with an intercession kill team using mark vi Marines as the base models and some assault squad bits for the assault intecessors. Would it be acceptable from a gameplay perspective to do a counts-as, as long as all bolters count as the same type of bolt rifle and all other weapons are the same (like chainswords are chainswords,etc)? Or is the fact that they’re firstborn and not primaris an issue?

I think as long as you were keeping all the bolters the same, or there was a distinct difference in the mini so I could tell which was a standard BR or an Auto or a Stalker, I wouldn't have any problem with playing against a firstborn Intercession team?

And as far as this comp goes, as long as you paint 6 Marines, I'm not going to quibble over what kit they're carrying... :laugh:

Vow complete! Such as it is...

image.jpeg.2177133162886a88d62cd460c1ec1709.jpeg

“Sir!”

The subaltern’s voice rang out, almost panicked, and the major turned to watch over his shoulder as the young officer’s wavering finger traced the path of a new contact flitting across his sensorium screen.

“What is that…?” Major Tormann muttered.

The subaltern turned to consult the IFF key taped to the corner of his station. The boy paused, jaw hanging half open. Tormann cleared his throat noisily and raised an eyebrow at his subordinate when no answer was forthcoming. “Well?”

“Sir…” the young officer began then swallowed hard, setting his prominent Adam's Apple bobbing, “it’s a Thunderhawk Gunship.”

A chill of excited fear skittered its way down Tormann’s spine. The Adeptus Astartes are here! It was the major’s turn to swallow hard and he crouched down next to the subaltern, intent on the screen that tracked the gunship’s progress.

“Where are they going?”

The subaltern shook his head. “It looks like… Sir! They’re headed right for the center of the Waaagh! – are they crazy?”

Had he better control of his faculties he would have scolded the subaltern for his impertinence; to even suggest that the Emperor’s own Angels of Death were anything but infallible paragons of His divine wrath was tantamount to heresy. But he had to admit, the boy had a point – there were more than a hundred orks out there, milling in the valley beyond the rocky ridge that separated them from the marauding xenos filth. It was only a matter of time before their giddy, alien animus impelled them to charge the entrenched Imperial positions.

How many Space Marines could one gunship carry? Surely not enough for the entire greenskin horde…

They watched together as the Thunderhawk traced a path right over the center of the gathered orks, slowing only briefly, presumably to disgorge its lethal cargo.

“What should we do?” someone else in the command center asked. Tormann didn’t bother to see who. He was busy watching the sensorium screen as the scarlet carets representing each ork began to go dark in a cascading pattern around the six bright blue runes that had materialized in their midst.

The Thunderhawk Gunship circled above the embattled Space Marines, leaving swathes of dead orks in its wake as it strafed them with its awesome weaponry.

“Should we help them?” the subaltern asked, looking up at his commander.

Appearing at the entrance to the command center behind them, Colonel Rouex chuckled darkly. All eyes turned to the taciturn old warhorse and they made to stand at attention but he waved them off, making his way to stand beside Tormann and the gawking subaltern.

“Those are Dragonspears, son. They know a thing or two about killing orks,” he explained. “Best not to get in their way.”

Turning back to the sensorium and finding more than half of the red carets gone dark, Tormann could well believe it.

On 1/27/2023 at 6:41 PM, Daylight said:

First beakie done, tried to give him an auxiliary grenade launcher to fill the role of gunner. I’m leaning towards painting these as Blood Angels or Sons of Orar. I think the plan is to use some old assault squad bits to make some assault intercessors count-as guys as well.

15FA6264-C191-418E-B12A-671824F2C454.jpeg

I’m excited to see the rest. I’d love to see Sons of Orar, but I always prefer successor’s 

Ultramar PDF Navis Breachers. Squad Cryptidimage.thumb.jpeg.1c98238977b9ac81e9601f350d4aa6a6.jpeg

Left to right:

Jericho Lynt: The Doorman. No door or wall can stop him, they all come down.

Marta Friedman: The Cook. Marta loves to add her special recipes to her grenades, the shock grenades have her favorite, the Cattachan Kiss hot pepper.

Karkic T James: The Boss. He's been leading these guys for at least 4 years.

Jaque the Axe: Mad Dog. Loves nothing better than wading in and swinging that ax.

Johan Friedman: The Wall. In the front and if his courage is ever questioned, remember, he eats Marta's food every day.

image.thumb.jpeg.df7da0daaa58859de7ccf242b26c8e71.jpeg

On the ends are Bosco and "That guy that hangs out with Bosco". Two Armsmen that seem to prefer hanging back and using their slugs to hit at farther range.

Bjorn Friedman: Hot Shot. Brother of Johan. Loves the plasma.

The two techies, Romy (Queen of Skulls) and Lex (Cat Lady) with Mort and Morris.

My Vow is done.

Edited by MadEdric
Extra text

This event will end in less than 24 hours, at 12 noon on 1/2/23 UK time (that should allow right up to the end of 31/1/23 regardless of whatever time zones people are in!) so if you've signed up and got completed Kill Teams to post, make sure you get your finished pics in before that time! :sweat:

Then I'll work out a vote with all of the completed entries!

Well done to everyone that has taken part!!!

After an audible, a late night assembly session last night, and an all day painting marathon today, I have finally finished my counts-as Sons of Orar intercession kill team. Im a mediocre painter at the best of times, so I’m fairly happy with how these turned out on such short notice. I didn’t have time to get decals and I’m horrible at freehanding, but an attempt was made. 

Squad Castivarius:

7940DD18-6C71-43AA-B703-D349259840C1.thumb.jpeg.6aa05e0937cf7b92b6f08a3fd80fcafb.jpegA1882CC3-35BB-48C0-9348-4F8BCC1D326A.thumb.jpeg.89d3ff32a78ddd52503b37c82085f176.jpegCBF5327E-ED59-4E6A-A546-79D1ED78076C.thumb.jpeg.f55aa875447e01ac5ba644254a1f8d57.jpeg3585B9B1-A5B8-439D-85FA-02BD651BD820.thumb.jpeg.f356c5e326736b4b02ef5981d74b3837.jpegBAF5390F-8D4D-41FD-96A9-BC6C5DED45DB.thumb.jpeg.e8f23492129c45cc623cdc51f5a86371.jpeg

Led by sergeant Archios Castivarius, Squad Castivarius is a tactical squad in the Sons of Orar’s 4th company. The squad is currently part of a strike force battling orks north of the realm of Ultramar.  Currently under strength due to losses taken in battle against the foul greenskins, and with only 6 Marines combat capable, sergeant Castivarius has chosen to allow a slightly unorthodox mix of close combat weapons and bolters in order to better fight the orks and cover for their losses. The squad, further made up of Brothers Menerian, Cator, Ophaniel, Antilochun, and Vereos, is relatively green compared to other squads of the 4th company; previous losses taken during the 13th Black Crusade and later as part of the Erastus Battlegroup of Fleet Primus during the start of the Indomitus Crusade had been replaced, only for more to fall during the savagery of the current campaign. Castivarius works to temper his squad’s desire for redemption, vengeance, and glory with wisdom and due caution, as redemption cannot be had if all of them fall before the mission is complete. 

As a side note, I hit the image size limit before I could post close ups or back/side views of all 6. 

Edited by Daylight

I am sad to report that due to sickness in the family and other circumstances my novice sisters have not been completed in time for the contest. May the emperor have mercy on my soul, as I fear the commissar will not shirk from his punishment.

Well done to everyone who took part in this event - I've really enjoyed seeing everyone's Kill Teams come together! :thumbsup::smile:

And thanks to @Lysimachus for running it :yes: Hopefully next time I'll have enough space in my hobby schedule to take part..! :biggrin:

Many Thanks to @Lysimachus for hosting this and everyone involved in the event, either by participating or just looking in.:thumbsup:

This has been tremendous fun … You people have been a inspiration to go the extra mile for this and there really are a ton  of great looking Killteams now to show for it. 

:thanks:

While I hate to take the "L" for this one (disgusting oathbreaker that I am :facepalm:), it was a pleasure to see so many creative and well done kill teams. I look forward to trying again next time.

And of course, kudos to Lysimachus for running the event and giving us all both inspiration and motivation. :thumbsup: