"Knives In The Void" Painting Challenge 2022

Lysimachus

large.20221006_112133.jpg.1296dfaa5d941e

This is the sign-up thread for the "Knives In The Void" Kill-Team Painting Challenge. See the announcement thread here:

https://bolterandchainsword.com/topic/376139-knives-in-the-void-kill-team-painting-challenge/#comment-5872561

Please post your Vows in the following format:

I, (your name), vow to complete one Kill Team of the (your chosen Faction), to be fully painted and based by the 31st January 2023, and to provide at least minimal fluff/background for them. May (the Emperor or whatever 40k deity you wish to swear by) curse me to darkness and ruination should I fail!

Please also edit in either a starting pic or a link to a WIP thread once you have one. (When we get a bit further along, I will start a second thread for people to post their completed entries!)

We look forward to seeing what you come up with!

Participants by Grand Alliances:

Astartes:
Slave to Darkness - Legion of the Damned
Lysimachus - War Dogs COMPLETE!
Sitnam - Carcharodons Astra COMPLETE!
Brother Tyler - Legio Bolter and Chainsword
Dumah - Dragonspears COMPLETE!
Majkhel - Blood Angels COMPLETE!
Mazer Rackham - Astral Claws COMPLETE!

Mazer Rackham (2nd) - Celestial Lions COMPLETE!

CaptainFrederickson - Raptors
Azaiel - Raptors

Tonius - Crimson Fists COMPLETE!

Mazer Rackham (3rd) - Invaders COMPLETE!

Lysimachus (2nd) - War Dogs Phobos COMPLETE!

Tonius - Blood Angels COMPLETE!

Valkia the Bloody (3rd) - Red Marines COMPLETE!

Daylight - Marines Errant COMPLETE!

Imperial:
Valkia the Bloody - Navy Breachers COMPLETE!
MadEdric - Ultramar Breachers COMPLETE!

Trokair - Rhunish Dragoons (Vet Guard) COMPLETE!

Arikel - Adepta Sororitas Novitiates

Andes - Veteran Guard COMPLETE!

Valkia the Bloody (4th) - Inquisition/Kasrkin COMPLETE!

Chaos:
Lord Ikka - Word Bearers COMPLETE!
Xin Ceithan - Space Pirates! (CSM) COMPLETE!

mr_r_parker - Word Bearers

Galloway - Grey Death COMPLETE!

Inks - Daemons COMPLETE!

WrathOfTheLion - The Purge

Doctor Perils - Blooded

Mumeishi - Daemons

Chaplain Raeven - Night Lords COMPLETE!

Gaurdian31 - Legionnaires COMPLETE!

Sitnam (2nd) - Diomedan Drones COMPLETE!

Tonius - Chaos Legionnaires COMPLETE!

Dr_Ruminahui - Emperor's Children

Sitnam (3rd) - Fiends of the Apocalypse COMPLETE!

Xenos:
Axineton - Orks
Valkia the Bloody (2nd) - Kroot COMPLETE!
Arkhanist - Orks
Drakheart - Kroot

Anticontrarian - Necrons

Rusted Boltgun - Kroot COMPLETE!

Tonius - Orks COMPLETE!

Jaxom - Necrons COMPLETE!

Ripper.McGuirl - Corsairs COMPLETE!

Edited by Lysimachus

I, Axineton, vow to complete one Kill Team of Ork kommandos, to be fully painted and based by the 31st January 2023, and to provide at least minimal fluff/background for them. May (the Emperor or whatever 40k deity you wish to swear by) curse me to darkness and ruination should I fail!

wfjcSOvl.jpg

Link to where I start my Kommando kill team:

Edited by Axineton
Added wip link

Awesome.

Going to join- even if I have already pledged the contents of the "Into the Dark" Box in the 2022 Painting Challenge thread. But this will force me twice over to finish this up in the upcoming months! (as a sufferer from ADHD and "new, shiny!" syndrome, I need all the help I can get!)

I plan on alternating painting terrain with painting Kill Team members, just to keep motivation and flow going, because I definitely want to finish the terrain, too!

I could also post some rules and background, should I come up with them, for my self-created Inquisition Team.

My WIP thread for this is https://bolterandchainsword.com/topic/363795-kill-team-heresy-thousand-sons-inquisition-and-imperial-agents-wip/

I, Valkia the Bloody, vow to complete TWO Kill Teams (Navy Breachers and Kroot Kinband) , to be fully painted and based by the 31st January 2023, and to provide at least minimal fluff/background for them. May the Blood God Khorne take my skull and drink my blood should I fail!

388347066_Shapeofthingstocome.jpg.0ee685d4249d02f7af9abbee73c1635a.jpg

I, andes, vow to complete one Kill Team of Corsair Voidscarred, to be fully painted and based by the 31st January 2023, and to provide at least minimal fluff/background for them. May Gork and/or Mork curse me to darkness and ruination should I fail!

I'll be tracking my progress in this WIP thread.

I, Slave to Darkness, bald of head and hairy of chin, vow to complete one Kill Team of the Legion of the Damned (well, bog standard Firstborn in LotD colours), to be fully painted and based by the 31st January 2023, and to provide at least minimal fluff/background for them. May the Gods of Rock and Metal (well Rob Halford and Lemmy) curse me to darkness and ruination should I fail!

Since I took this picture I have only primed them black and decided to strip Centurius (wahey!!) so he is bare metal now and needs rebuilding. 

image.thumb.jpeg.2ba567426abd3f686fb0ddc70434f5b9.jpeg

Of course, I'm joining in myself! :biggrin:

I, Lysimachus, vow to complete one Intercession Kill Team of the War Dogs Chapter of the Adeptus Astartes, to be fully painted and based by the 31st January 2023, and to provide at least minimal fluff/background for them. May the Emperor curse me to darkness and ruination should I fail!

large.20221007_154607.jpg.f27956a73dced0

Edited by Lysimachus

I, Arkhanist, vow to complete one Kill Team of Ork Kommandos, to be fully painted and based by the 31st January 2023, and to provide at least minimal fluff/background for them. May Gork, or maybe Mork curse me to darkness and ruination should I fail!

I've been slowly working on my Kommandos killteam already for the last few weeks for the mental health awareness challenge (paint something green!), but I've only been working on the first 5 so far - nearly done basecoating!

My personal challenge has been to use Contrast or equivalent as much as possible, and so far I've used Contrast and speedpaint exclusively, bar for metallics. Basecoats nearly done, then oil wash, then final highlighting and bases - need at least one guy done by the 10th!

The rest of the team are assembled and primed, but nothing more.

large.PXL_20220919_180434258.jpg.5a94ac5b74065b7c9324378b5356bbc1.jpg

large.PXL_20221006_230951387.jpg.ac834e3c4f0cad16603cfe531d1af401.jpg

Edited by Arkhanist

I probably should be more sensible, but oh well, here goes nothing.

I, Trokai, vow to complete one Kill Team of the (I still need to choose a Faction*), to be fully painted and based by the 31st January 2023, and to provide at least minimal fluff/background for them. May Omnissiah curse me to darkness and ruination should I fail!

*If I can get hold of the Kroot them by say early December it will be them, otherwise some wacky conversion project. I have not played Kill Team 2.0 and know nothing about it, so may need some help with model/conversion choice to at least have some WYSIWYG compliance, approximately, maybe...

This challenge comes most fortuitously, as I have several KT's in the works. For now, I will begin a pledge for my best friends team:

"I, sitnam, vow to complete one Kill Team of the Carcarodons Astra, to be fully painted and based by the 31st January 2023, and to provide at least minimal fluff/background for them. May the Emperor curse me to darkness and ruination should I fail!"

Spoiler

IMG_4018.JPG

Edited by sitnam

I dont have or play kill team (yet..?), but it seems like a nice excuse to paint up some minis.  :smile:

And, even though I got rid of all my marines, I really like the look of the heavy intercessors. So I might as well buy and paint them, I guess..? :turned:

Local game shop has some minis on sale, there might be a sniper-intercessor (or however they are called) box for sale. Viable?

Or stick with the heavies and perhaps build a small force from there? 

Will a box of heavy intercessors give me enough "points" to qualify as a kill-team? 

I could really use the advise! 

Cheers,

JaM

By Intercessor Sniper do you mean Eliminators? They are the Primaris sniper unit, but unfortunately don't have rules for KT at this point...

Heavy Intercessors are fine though, a squad of 5 is a full Kill-Team (Sgt, 3 regular and the Heavy Bolter Gunner)

1 hour ago, JaM_TW said:

Or stick with the heavies and perhaps build a small force from there? 

Will a box of heavy intercessors give me enough "points" to qualify as a kill-team? 

The 'get you by' compendium kill teams - which the heavy intercessors are - aren't generally quite as competitive as the more specific teams (i.e. the ones that have come out in the boxed sets and white dwarf), but if you're playing with friends or a local group they're fine.

The rules for the heavy intercessors are in the Kill Team Compendium; originally you got the sgt, 2 bolt rifle marines, and either a 3rd rifle marine or the gunner with a heavy bolter variant (you're always better off taking the gunner I believe). With the Balance Dataslate (latest is Q2 2022) they get an additional rifle marine (warrior) for free, so 5 in total as Lysimachus says above. I don't know which are the best weapon variants though.

I have a lot going on, so my time is limited, but this interests me for doing something that doesn't involve typos...

I have no interest in actually playing KT, or ever using these models for a game (the gaming side is dead to me, DEAD! :cry:) but I want them to be rules/challenge compliant. Is this acceptable?

• Space Marines:
    • Sgt/Leader
    • Sniper
    • Stabber
    • Gunner/Grenadier
    • Mook

I can get the fluff together quite easily, and they will either be Mantis Warriors (Tranquillity Campaign) Red Scorpions (Angstrom Incident Persuit Squad) or Marines Errant (Second Outer Galactic Expeditionary Force).

Can a specialty be taken more than once? I don't have the rules, as is likely obvious.

If you're going with Firstborn (presumably so, based on the awesome Badab theme!) then the basic team consists of a Sgt and 5 Mooks, so 1 extra body to what you've listed.

1 Mook can be swapped for a Gunner (Las/Plas/Flamer) and 1 Mook can be swapped for a Heavy Gunner (HB/Missile Launcher).

A Grenadier could be done by adding Frags and Kraks to another of the Mooks?

Sniper and Stabber don't have any special rules in that particular Team, but if you modelled one Mook with a fancy Bolter (with Scope, etc?) and another had his Bolter holstered and lots of knives, that would still work?

21 minutes ago, Lysimachus said:

If you're going with Firstborn (presumably so, based on the awesome Badab theme!) then the basic team consists of a Sgt and 5 Mooks,

Glad I saw that, now I dont have to paint all the LotD. I hate painting flames. :laugh:

"I, Inks, vow to have @Grotsmasha complete one Kill Team of the Blood Angels Chapter, to be fully painted and based by the 31st January 2023, and to provide at least minimal fluff/background for them. (It's going to be super minimal) May the Emperor curse @Grotsmasha to darkness and ruination should @Grotsmasha fail!" After all, "it's not my fault, I'm not even supposed to be here today"

I, Dumah, vow to complete one Intercession Kill Team of the Dragonspears, to be fully painted and based by the 31st January 2023, and to provide at least minimal fluff/background for them. May The Emperor, Vulkan, Gork (or possibly Mork) and the Scary Old Lady Next Door curse me to darkness and ruination should I fail!

CF Kill Team.jpg

CF Kill Team Leaders.jpg

Edited by Dumah

I, Mumeishi, vow to complete one Kill Team of the Chaos Daemons, to be fully painted and based by the 31st January 2023, and to provide at least minimal fluff/background for them. May Khorne & Tzeentch curse me to darkness and ruination should I fail!

1x Fireteam of 6x Bloodletters & 1x Fireteam of 6x Pink Horrors.  

M. 

++EDIT++ 

My Kroot order fell through and another mate has picked them up :confused:, But I have some Bloodletters from the new Chaos Deamons Combat Patrol that i bought recently so will putting them together for a Killteam instead :thumbsup:

Edited by Mumeishi

I, Lord_Ikka, vow to complete one Kill Team of Chaos Space Space Marines, to be fully painted and based by the 31st of January 2023, and to provide at least minimal fluff/background for them. May the Lords of the Warp curse me to darkness and ruination should I fail!

The Kill Team will be comprised of the following

Word Bearers Legionary Kill Team

Legionary Aspiring Champion w/plasma pistol and power weapon, Mark of Chaos Undivided

Legionary Icon Bearer w/bolt pistol and chainsword, Mark of Chaos Undivided

Legionary Butcher w/Mark of Khorne (twin chain-axe conversion)

Legionary Gunner w/flamer, Mark of Chaos Undivided

Legionary Warrior w/boltgun and fists, Mark of Chaos Undivided (twin bolt pistols conversion)

Legionary Warrior w/bolt pistol and chainsword, Mark of Chaos Undivided

Pics will come when my order from FW arrives...

Edit- Updated to be a Nachmund Legionary Kill Team rather than a compendium CSM team.

Edited by Lord_Ikka