"Knives In The Void" Painting Challenge 2022

Lysimachus

Bit of a “Proof-of-concept” progress on my as yet unnamed Hedonistarii themed  pirate band

large.05930F16-90CB-4810-9F35-0E55EBA7628B.jpeg.b584ebb3cdeaf8b47e1a2b77a3a80bda.jpeglarge.E3EE0DF9-40E5-43C0-BA2B-B9D7F5C9A0E3.jpeg.60ad4c1dea4ebe75ac35094f5d461558.jpeglarge.DFFEDBE2-3107-4B75-A142-D2E614C97A6D.jpeg.6b7b18648d35eb9d506f80582309945a.jpeglarge.45D32DE7-1F2D-4F7B-BCA7-939BB296F0EA.jpeg.2e1f53c8af2c3f02840dff0e4f3ed4d1.jpeglarge.CFED3D03-D5D2-4DF8-8E65-E0EAC337055A.jpeg.71e649c449e277af6d0e1e40cc2afa71.jpeg

Looking at it, now .i smeared a lot around the eyes :mad:

the purple is also much darker in the pic.  metals and manes in particular still need some highlights. Think I am on the right track though.

C&C welcome

44 minutes ago, Xin Ceithan said:

Bit of a “Proof-of-concept” progress on my as yet unnamed Hedonistarii themed  pirate band

large.05930F16-90CB-4810-9F35-0E55EBA7628B.jpeg.b584ebb3cdeaf8b47e1a2b77a3a80bda.jpeglarge.E3EE0DF9-40E5-43C0-BA2B-B9D7F5C9A0E3.jpeg.60ad4c1dea4ebe75ac35094f5d461558.jpeglarge.DFFEDBE2-3107-4B75-A142-D2E614C97A6D.jpeg.6b7b18648d35eb9d506f80582309945a.jpeglarge.45D32DE7-1F2D-4F7B-BCA7-939BB296F0EA.jpeg.2e1f53c8af2c3f02840dff0e4f3ed4d1.jpeglarge.CFED3D03-D5D2-4DF8-8E65-E0EAC337055A.jpeg.71e649c449e277af6d0e1e40cc2afa71.jpeg

Looking at it, now .i smeared a lot around the eyes :mad:

the purple is also much darker in the pic.  metals and manes in particular still need some highlights. Think I am on the right track though.

C&C welcome

Are you using these chameleon paints? I actually like them, but the result can vary a lot.

I like the chameleon colours as well, but the only one I have used on this so far is Martian Green for some of the copper parts. 

The armour basic colours are royal purple blended over a coat of incubi darkness with Vallejo pink and metallic light purple highlights.

3 hours ago, Xin Ceithan said:

I like the chameleon colours as well, but the only one I have used on this so far is Martian Green for some of the copper parts. 

The armour basic colours are royal purple blended over a coat of incubi darkness with Vallejo pink and metallic light purple highlights.

Looking good- I always like when seeing some more unusual paint schemes. And this fits well with the Slaaneshi theme.

Lovely work Xin, that colourshift-y tone to the armour is great, somehow subtle but still very Slaaneshi (which is odd but very cool!)

The contrast of the bright blue works really well too, will the eyes be taken up to a similar brightness? (So minis without topknots will also have that same 'pop'?)

Thanks for the praise everyone!

I did notice that a lot of my later work lacks a bit of bling / focus especially on the face / eye level, so I am trying to improve that this time around.

Might work in some greenish rune work along the warplate for some more bling thing - the heraldic smudge  on the right shoulder is indeed just that. I caught it before it dropped from the table and apparently there was some paint on my fingers … rather liked the effect though. 

The blue topknot  – well,  for some reason, every time I use Sotek Green it seemingly turns out mainly blue - So I am glad you guys like it.

Actually it is currently supposed to be a base for a bit more blue to green manes like on the Noisemarine from a while back. 

Spoiler

gallery_66914_8104_642973.jpg

Let's do this. Got something new to do.

They're unopened so far, but here's a picture

dEgpGOV.jpg

I, WrathOfTheLion, vow to complete one Kill Team of The Purge, to be fully painted and based by the 31st January 2023, and to provide at least minimal fluff/background for them. May Nurgle curse me to darkness and ruination should I fail!

Edited by WrathOfTheLion

With some spare bits from a friend I now have a conversion project for this. I therefore need to amend my vow.

I, Trokair, vow to complete one Kill Team of the 7th Rhûnish Dragoons (Veteran Guardsmen), to be fully painted and based by the 31st January 2023, and to provide at least minimal fluff/background for them. May Omnissiah curse me to darkness and ruination should I fail!

Initial conversions picture. 2 down, 8 more to go.

Test 1 

Spoiler

image.jpeg.d68135926fdf21386bf1701764435768.jpeg

Test 2 - The base slot is slightly bent, will fix in time so he is not leaning backwards awkwardly. 

Spoiler

image.jpeg.4e6f55eb530283bf3b4ae188e18f8348.jpeg

Just finished the first half of my Navy Breachers.

I tried to make this team look grim dark and dirty. After all, they are sneaking about on a haunted, derelict and rusted spaceship. In every dark corner, there is another horror!

They should also fit in thematically with the terrain I am painting, and with the terrain, I am using a lot of weathering and rust.

Everybody, meet Mira's Marauders.

The team is lead by Sergeant-at-Arms Mira Holden. They were previously used to patrol shipping lines at a remote corner of Segmentum Obscurus.

This is where they reached infamy (and earned their nickname), since they were overzealous in fulfilling their customs duties and bringing in the tithe for their protection services from merchants traveling the galactic routes. If the merchant in question did not pay the fines, Mira had no qualms "securing" the dues by any means necessary.

Their overzealous demeanor lead to some embarrassment for the local fleet admiral, since a wealthy merchant patron, and personal friend of the governor of one of the local agri-worlds, came face to face with Miras's trusty bolt pistol.

The local fleet admiral was therefore only too happy to provide the zealous services of this team to the inquisition, who requested assistance in examining a recently appeared space hulk. Now Mira's Marauders proudly work for the Inquisition and act as voidsmen on a fast black Inquisition strike cruiser- ready to take on any threat to the Imperium.

(for more detail pictures, see my WIP thread)

850975432_Breachersfinished1.jpg.acd615abbbf74b89490349be29c0b410.jpg

I, DoctorPerils, vow to complete one Kill-Team of the Blooded, to be fully painted and based by the 31st January 2023, and to provide at least minimal fluff/background for them. May the dark gods curse me to darkness and ruination should I fail!

20221016_235855.jpg

Edited by Doctor Perils

Deamonettes finished and that completes Kill Team Drac'yen. These unlikely Deamonic allies find themselves drawn to the Gallowdark by unseen warp powers. Now stranded Bloodreaper Stripe and the rest of Drac'yen will claw, bite and cleave their way through swathes of Intercessors, Imperial Breachers, Kroot and any number of other kill teams to sate their Deamonic overlords. Blood for the Blood God, Pleasure and Pain for Slaanesh!  Oath *COMPLETED*

large.IMG_0167.JPG.927da1b32437c1dfe50bb4f01ddb48f1.JPG

Spoiler

large.IMG_0168.JPG.05afda145d37234faa8570dce8402aea.JPG

Spoiler

large.IMG_0169.JPG.806aaa0a63f6a738492d840fff5c4e49.JPG

edit: Painters note - I wish I knew what to do with their faces on both of them. I just couldn't pick out the eyes proper or do much with the Deamonettes faces. I guess you'll never notice on the table top.

Edited by INKS

@INKS looks great mate :thumbsup:, as to eyes on daemons, just dot black into the Daemonettes and dot yellow into the Bloodletters... you don't need an iris on them, the whole eye orb in one colour looks great as is, try it if you want to!?.. 

Well done on completing the Team :wub:

Cheers, M.

Superb job! Love the hot effect on the Bloodletter swords, I might use that on my sgt's power sword...

And agreed on the eyes, they look fine as is, though I like Mumeishi's suggestion of just doing one colour and not worrying about doing different coloured pupils (god, trying to get that dot of black in the right place onto a white eye without screwing up the skin you've painted all around it is the bane of my life... :laugh:)

Edit: and that gives us at least 2 completed entries to vote between at the end, so that's a load off my mind too! :tongue:

Edited by Lysimachus

The Choral Undue
Bitter remnants of the Ashen Circle
Bound soul-hunters of the Ebon Word
Devoted to the True Faith 
Charged to illuminate the unfaithful 
To prey upon the followers of the Corpse-Lord
Through fire, blade, and bolt
To tear assunder false piety and weak worship
Old hatred, blazing zealotry
To teach the Word with violent fervor
The Choral Undue 

Spoiler

Mz1Zy63.jpeg

Phakurus Oxa the Epigone, right hand of the First Acolyte

CwjDUhc.jpeg
Tus Vanu, known as the Burdened and Iconguard

0sl8e42.jpeg
Bloody-handed devotee of Kharneth, Rastag Karari

CJ1CpcC.jpeg
Paccur Vok, flame-bearer 

49iMsW7.jpeg
Kannak Ghor, cult-brother to Pharkurus and cold veteran of the Long War

n8lbpC3.jpeg
Newblood Kor Mardos, ambitious warrior

Very nice stuff everyone! 

I think I have the basic colours down now…

large.A9EE87C8-8918-4C4D-811E-2010578688F5.jpeg.465bb333c37ef2b0988ef3cd17365136.jpeg

Was a bit of a letdown when I noticed the CSM in the Start Collecting Box are pretty much monopose :mad: 

Also, there is a distinct lack of topknots in the box - which I had intended as unifying theme on this force,  so I am pillaging through my bits box for more.

I've been thinking about how to do the Krieg kill-team, but have been put off by knowing the upcoming Guard codex allows mixing regiments. That made me want to base them consistently with my other Guard units... and that's not an appropriate basing scheme for my desired bases for a Knives in the Void kill-team.

Annihilation Legion army of renown (and Arks of Omen) has made me think about Necrons, and building up a 50 PL Zone Mortalis style army of Flayed Ones and Skorpekh Destroyers. So, maybe a Flayed One kill-team converted from Warriors? Representing Necrons in the earlier stages of the Flayer Virus?