"Knives In The Void" Painting Challenge 2022

Lysimachus

2 hours ago, Valkia the Bloody said:

Now, on to the next- there is still the Kroot to do- as well as tons of terrain.

Is the "bird" on the Kroot team out of the box, or something you put together?

20 minutes ago, schoon said:

Is the "bird" on the Kroot team out of the box, or something you put together?

As much as I love the Into the Dark box- it has the failing that it does not come with a model for the Pechra bird, and one has to use a token. I thought that was lame.

I needed to rectify this.

So I actually now made two-

one of them is the bird from the blackpowder pirates (Age of Sigmar), and the other one from an extra Kroot tracker (from Ebay- I got the model to assemble an extra Stalker model).

Birds.jpg.05368ed0a30516663ec1ec588733ce81.jpg

1 hour ago, Tonius said:

Noice !

celestial lions ?

Thank you very much - and, you are correct! :thumbsup:

The Potato Cam demands sacrifice of your eyeballs:

large.20221030_004207.jpg.a8d58723dd9f4b7925fb8e09d905d536.jpg

Edited by Mazer Rackham

The Choral Undue will be travelling in style, with a Furnas-pattern Termite assault drill (Terrax count-as). I know that jumppack equipped units can't go in them, but I don't really care- this is all about aesthetics for these guys (technically they don't have jumppacks as far as the rules for KT go anyway). It has my pretty poor attempt at carving Word Bearer runes into the rear, but maybe they just hacked them in with their axe-rakes after taking over the drill... Anyway, I'll paint them up together (probably next month). 

jtkQbBk.jpeg

LUFlt5M.jpeg

For those that want to know- its the Mantic Games Veer-Myn Tunneller and a pretty great kit in general. Goonhammer called building it playing with Duplos in a good way, and I totally agree, very easy to put together with no real instructions needed and the pieces were good hard plastic without much clean-up required. 

Edited by Lord_Ikka

That's a beast! It's been a while since I checked out the Mantic range, might have to have a poke around.

Anyway, I think the glyphs look pretty good. :cool:

Spoiler

Just watch out for Arnie carrying a power drill. :tongue:

So we are expanding into vehicles now?! I really need to step up my game here  it seems…:biggrin:

All kidding aside - the Assault Drill really  is a stunning piece. :thumbsup:

And thanks  for the tip - I always wanted to add one for something like an IW or DG / siege themed force but thought  the FW kit a bit off just for a display kit.

As I always seem to be short of time after the individual posts - I’d take the opportunity to remark on how much I like @Trokair’s Guard conversions! 
The LotR range mostly went under my radar, but your Easterling conversion show there really is a great opportunity for making a stunning looking force there. Really impressive. And I agree that adding something like a turned around Assault ramp / breaching vehicle would also add nicely to the uniqueness of your team.

That being said:

I’ll leave you  to consider the ramifications regarding the fact that each and everyone of the chapters chosen for this event by our dear @Mazer Rackham ran afoul of His holy Inquisition…. :devil:

2 hours ago, Xin Ceithan said:

So we are expanding into vehicles now?! I really need to step up my game here  it seems…:biggrin:

I know, right? :woot:

I've been inspired by Mazer's Astral Claws myself (and the following paragraph from the War Dogs Index Astartes)

Spoiler

The War Dogs Patrols are typically built around a solid core of Mark X Tacitus armoured Intercessor squads, ably supported by a mix of Phobos and/or Gravis units. Inceptor and Suppressor squads are rarely seen, their jump packs proving far less useful within the cramped environs in which the War Dogs usually operate. Likewise, the Chapter maintains very few vehicles other than void-capable transports such as Stormravens or Caestus Assault Rams. However, mobile fire support is provided by a variety of Dreadnought platforms deployed by modified Boarding Torpedoes, which are able to keep pace with the War Dogs fast moving infantry. While many Ultima Founding Chapters have been supplied en masse with the new Redemptor Dreadnoughts, the War Dogs have continued to favour and request the older Contemptor and Castraferrum Patterns, as their smaller chassis are often better suited for fighting within the relatively narrow corridors of many space vessels.

...and so I've managed to get hold of a 65mm Sector Mechanicus base to match my KT... now I just need something to put on it... :tongue:

Edited by Lysimachus

3 hours ago, Xin Ceithan said:

Since you have the Start Collecting box to work with, why not a little daemon engine as backup the team.

3 hours ago, Xin Ceithan said:

As I always seem to be short of time after the individual posts - I’d take the opportunity to remark on how much I like @Trokair’s Guard conversions! 
The LotR range mostly went under my radar, but your Easterling conversion show there really is a great opportunity for making a stunning looking force there. Really impressive. And I agree that adding something like a turned around Assault ramp / breaching vehicle would also add nicely to the uniqueness of your team.

Thank you, it is an idea I have toyed with several times over the years, I am glad I finally had a go at it.

While the helmet give an instant identification the krieg guardsmen bits do a lot of heavy lifting here I feel, that and the limited size of the squad hides the biggest flaw.  The Easterling infantry plastic sprue is a bunch of mono-pose bodies, so repeats are inevitable, and will become more apparent if I decide to expand on this.

That said the Easterlings are nice sculps for their age, with enough details to give character, but not so heavy that when I need to cut and carve bits of that it stands out massively.

1 hour ago, Lysimachus said:
  Hide contents

The War Dogs Patrols are typically built around a solid core of Mark X Tacitus armoured Intercessor squads, ably supported by a mix of Phobos and/or Gravis units. Inceptor and Suppressor squads are rarely seen, their jump packs proving far less useful within the cramped environs in which the War Dogs usually operate. Likewise, the Chapter maintains very few vehicles other than void-capable transports such as Stormravens or Caestus Assault Rams. However, mobile fire support is provided by a variety of Dreadnought platforms deployed by modified Boarding Torpedoes, which are able to keep pace with the War Dogs fast moving infantry. While many Ultima Founding Chapters have been supplied en masse with the new Redemptor Dreadnoughts, the War Dogs have continued to favour and request the older Contemptor and Castraferrum Patterns, as their smaller chassis are often better suited for fighting within the relatively narrow corridors of many space vessels.

...and so I've managed to get hold of a 65mm Sector Mechanicus base to match my KT... now I just need something to put on it... :tongue:

Ironclad Dread?

3 hours ago, Trokair said:

Ironclad Dread?

I was thinking Ironclad or Venerable, but then I noticed the newer plastic Contemptor is the same price and I've never put one of those together before... :woot: :yes:

Another bottle-brother for my KT: 

Brother Borrghos is among the oldest and most experienced of the new generation of 'Daemonbanes' having fought his way to Baal with Lord Guilliman's Indomitus Crusade. In the many battles that followed in the wake of the Devastation he let himself be known as humble, stoic and dependable. The nickname 'Nocturnean' that originally came as a brotherly jest by Brother Massio received a horrifying new meaning after a Carnifex's acid burned-out most of Borrghos' face. True to his character and unlike the lamented Tycho, Borrghos shrugged off the disfigurement completely. The nickname became both a shield and a weapon. And the black faceplate of his helmet an oath of moment against all adversity. 

large.grunt1.jpg.6f77db749f25e0d0e998672

Spoiler

large.grunt12.jpg.17988ad9b5a65bad143d21
large.grunt13.jpg.d3941eb46c62555aa0367a
large.grunt14.jpg.9d063505aef324a1a16f32

Edited by Majkhel

Cor, that's a flash BAngel. Check out those greaves, man. :wub:

In other news:

"Mum, can we get Infiltrators?"

"No, son, we have Infiltrators at home."

The Infiltrators at home:

Spoiler

large.20221031_125644.jpg.256ada91c406579660089ed0f61b6213.jpg

Also (going to need to re-touch the eyes, because, well, God-damn, but otherwise, we are nearly done here...).

large.20221031_142536.jpg.c4e1174b80eeaeaeeece58fd14a4b5fa.jpg

Edited by Mazer Rackham

21 hours ago, Majkhel said:

Another bottle-brother for my KT: 

Brother Borrghos is among the oldest and most experienced of the new generation of 'Daemonbanes' having fought his way to Baal with Lord Guilliman's Indomitus Crusade. In the many battles that followed in the wake of the Devastation he let himself be known as humble, stoic and dependable. The nickname 'Nocturnean' that originally came as a brotherly jest by Borther Massio received a horrifying new meaning after a Carnifex's acid burned-out most of Borrghos' face. True to his character and unlike the lamented Tycho, Borrghos shrugged off the disfigurement completely. The nickname became both a shield and a weapon. And the black faceplate of his helmet an oath of moment against all adversity. 

large.grunt1.jpg.6f77db749f25e0d0e998672

Reveal hidden contents

large.grunt12.jpg.17988ad9b5a65bad143d21
large.grunt13.jpg.d3941eb46c62555aa0367a
large.grunt14.jpg.9d063505aef324a1a16f32

LOVE THIS MODEL, so awesome

Not too late to throw my hat is this ring I hope?

I, Arikel, vow to complete one Kill Team of the Adeptas Sororitas Novitiates to be fully painted and based by the 31st January 2023, and to provide at least minimal fluff/background for them. May Celestine curse me to darkness and ruination should I fail!

These sisters are not as sturdy as the marines I am used too. Already broke and repaired each of the Exactor's whips. With any luck they won't look too horrible, and I will need to base em to do the challenge so that will be something to learn more about

novices01.JPG

novices02.jpg

The Mazer Rackham Design Studio, in partnership with the Cabal of Dead Ink, presents:

++ KILL TEAM ASSEGAI ++

The betrayers would not keep them out. Pride-Sergeant Okayse pointed the stout finger of his powerfist at the bulkhead door. No words were needed as his Kin went to work, the young lions hungry, eager to prove their mettle under his leonine eyes.

Bomani, a solid tower of muscle and controlled violence, trampled cracks into the concrete, bending the thin pipework with the weight of his Mk X and explosive payload, before twisting the head of the meltabomb and slapping it to the door with a dolorous clang. "Ten seconds, Pride Sergeant."

Okayse knew the smile in the voice, the grenadier would whoop and call with glee when his bomblets found their targets. For now, he must wait. Pride Assegai formed up, half crouching into what would become a roiling wave of heat and molten slurry. Brave, keen. Okayse selected squad vox.

++We will tear their black hearts from their chests!++

Such a long road from Elysium, through Khattar, Armageddon. The Rubicon Primaris was just another river to swim.  A tide of blood.

The melta charge whined, blew.

And fire.

The pride growled forward.

++++++++++

The Kill Team is completed, and I, Mazer Rackham do plead my oath and vow to be discharged in the presence of my peers.

May The Deathspeaker on Terra judge my worthiness, and may the Liars and Betrayers be damned.

++++++++++

Front:

Spoiler

large.752202459_CLFrontView.jpg.3a870b6c86555474c174fbc491351b37.jpg

Back/Rear:

Spoiler

large.1345166980_CLBackView.jpg.add5f5fb3e331a231a43503cd8397e6e.jpg

Whatever is missing or needs cleanup on these shiny punks is going to stay that way. Never in my hundreds of Marine Helmets of experience have I had difficulty like this. I tried three times, using tips and tricks, but it wouldn't wash. I'm calling them finished..!

Edited by Mazer Rackham

Majkhel, looking great there, how much time do you spend one each one?

On 10/31/2022 at 2:40 PM, Mazer Rackham said:

In other news:

"Mum, can we get Infiltrators?"

"No, son, we have Infiltrators at home."

The Infiltrators at home:

Hide contents

large.20221031_125644.jpg.256ada91c406579660089ed0f61b6213.jpg

Rivers and custom guns?

Sunroof/screen yay or nay? On the one hand if it is on it hides some details, on the other it feels sensible. 

Spoiler

image.jpeg.124f5d2f2b05eb69df1d53b26866956c.jpeg

51 minutes ago, Trokair said:

Rivers and custom guns?

Pretty much, but they're sort of Incursors too. Some of the backpacks are getting extra greeblies, and I'm kit-mangling (kitbashing, but with liberal application of sharp objects) a Helix dude. With the premise of Kill Team, and them being Revilers, they're out in the sticks for a loooong time, and essentially multi-role capable. Hence suppressors, a suppressed marksman carbine (not clear in the pic), pistols and blades. I've got some smoke bombs painted too. If I can find them, I'll add 3rd party NVG's/FLIR lamps as well.

1 hour ago, Trokair said:

Sunroof/screen yay or nay? On the one hand if it is on it hides some details, on the other it feels sensible.

I'm torn, but you did say open-topped, and they have wide-brim helmets, so....:cool: