"Knives In The Void" Kill-Team Painting Challenge

The Bolter and Chainsword presents:

large.20221006_112133.jpg.1296dfaa5d941e

With the recent release of Kill-Team: Into the Dark, the Mods in the Kill-Team Subforum thought it might be fun to have a bit of a painting Challenge!

Have you ever had a cool idea for a 40k force, but couldn't face the thought of building and painting a whole army? Or maybe it was the cost, or maybe it was the time commitment, or maybe it was simply the influence of the dreaded 'hobby butterfly'...

Or maybe you're totally cool with painting 15k of points in one colour scheme, and have in fact done so several times over… but you fancy painting one squad in a completely different colour, just for a change?

Then maybe Kill-Team might be the system for you!

If you want to take part in this Challenge, the rules are very simple: Build and paint one Kill-Team of whichever Faction you like by the deadline date below! This can be any of the available teams, from those included in any of the boxed games, or the Compendium, Annual, WD or Warcom. At a minimum it must include a fully playable team - but if you wish to go further and paint up a full Roster of 20 minis, go for it!

Kitbashing, conversions and counts-as are all welcome, but the finished product must still be recognisably '40k' and playable as one of the various Factions. So if you want to do true-scale Terminators using the Custodes rules? - cool! Penal Legion Vet Guardsmen a la the Dirty Dozen or Last Chancers? - nice! Space Skaven scavengers using the Kroot Farstalkers (or Genestealer Cult list)? - no problem!

Of course, the current KT campaign is set aboard the Gallowdark. So while you aren't obliged to build or base your minis with a Space Hulk theme, if you wish to do so, that would be awesome!

Along with the painted models, we want you to write up some background! It could be as simple as just giving all your operatives names, or it could include information about their personalities or previous missions/victories! You could even go mad and include the history of your DIY Chapter/Regiment/Craftworld/Dynasty/whatever, or write a whole short story about your guys' exploits!

If you have already recently started on a team, that's fine, as long as it's not too close to being complete you are welcome to join in! (This is all just for fun, after all!) Also, multiple entries are allowed but you must complete your first entry before vowing for a second.

Completion Date: 31/01/23 - that's the best part of 3 months, so should be plenty of time to complete a single squad!

Vows:

I, (your name), vow to complete one Kill-Team of the (your chosen Faction), to be fully painted and based by the 31st January 2023, and to provide at least minimal fluff/background for them. May (the Emperor or whatever 40k deity you wish to swear by) curse me to darkness and ruination should I fail!

Vows (along with any starting pics or links to your WIP threads) should be posted in the Challenge sign-up thread down in the KT subforum:

https://bolterandchainsword.com/topic/376138-knives-in-the-dark-painting-challenge-2022/

The winner (possibly Gold, Silver and Bronze, if there are sufficient participant numbers) will be decided by means of a public vote. There aren't any prizes, but there will be badges for winning or taking part!

The Factions will also be broken up into 4 'Grand Alliances':
Loyal Astartes (Astartes, Intercession, Phobos, Deathwatch, Grey Knights)
Imperials (Guard, Admech, Talons of the Emperor, Ecclesiarchy)
Chaos (Traitor Astartes, Thousand Sons, Death Guard and Daemons)
Xenos (Orks, Eldar, Necrons, Tyranids, Tau, Kroot)
The Alliance with the most completed Kill Teams on the 31/01/23 will get extra bragging rights!

We hope you can join us for the Challenge!

33 minutes ago, Axineton said:

When’s the start date? 

Immediately!

Or even before that... if you've already made a start on building/painting a team, they can still be included! :biggrin:

Edited by Lysimachus

Wouldnt mind having a pop at this but I dont have access to any Killteam stuff at the moment. What options do CSM have? I know one of them can take a spell book but other than that I have no clue whats what. 

9 minutes ago, Slave to Darkness said:

Wouldnt mind having a pop at this but I dont have access to any Killteam stuff at the moment. What options do CSM have? I know one of them can take a spell book but other than that I have no clue whats what. 

As leader, you can either have an aspiring champion or a Chosen (with Demon Blade), you can have one heavy weapon gunner, a close combat guy with two flensing knives, a warrior with a two handed close combat weapon and then the usual Chaos Marines- normal gunners with bolter and "normal" legionaries with chainsword and pistol.

So nothing too outlandish.

6 minutes ago, Valkia the Bloody said:

As leader, you can either have an aspiring champion or a Chosen (with Demon Blade), you can have one heavy weapon gunner, a close combat guy with two flensing knives, a warrior with a two handed close combat weapon and then the usual Chaos Marines- normal gunners with bolter and "normal" legionaries with chainsword and pistol.

So nothing too outlandish.

Ahh nice one. Ill just have a looksie whats in my bits box, I need an excuse to restart my Khornate renegades.

Yep, as Valkia says there are lots of options for CSM! Their teams are usually 6-man, so that's all you need, and plenty of CC options in a Legionary team so most things you could build will fit!

It's a good point for everyone though, if you aren't sure about rules/builds, come on down to the KT forum and people will be able to assist you!

4 hours ago, Slave to Darkness said:

KRIEG!!!!!

4 hours ago, Scribe said:

Hmmmmm.

I have the Krieg box. However this may be an excuse to pick up just a few Necrons, as a treat.

I've Krieg from Octarius because that was such a home-run (hat trick for football?) of a box set. I'm an unapologetic Primaris model fan-boy, so I have Necrons from the Elite Getting Starting Box (serious value if you plan on using Necrons and Marines or resell the other half) and Chaos Death Guard from Dark Imperium (and the Hero Series because I did at one point have plans involving Mortarion). Yet, with the idea being a break from Death Guard....

Of course, who am I to decline such a passionate declamation of, "KRIEG!!!!"? No one, that's who. Just another faceless, gas-masked sinner; ready to die for the Emperor. It is not for atonement or redemption, for only the Emperor may choose to extend such grace. To assume a mere infantryman could influence such a thing is the height of hubris. We die simply because he demands it of us.

Uh, yeah, Krieg kill-team. Gonna build and paint me a Krieg Veteran Guardsman kill team.

3 minutes ago, jaxom said:

I've Krieg from Octarius because that was such a home-run (hat trick for football?) of a box set. I'm an unapologetic Primaris model fan-boy, so I have Necrons from the Elite Getting Starting Box (serious value if you plan on using Necrons and Marines or resell the other half) and Chaos Death Guard from Dark Imperium (and the Hero Series because I did at one point have plans involving Mortarion). Yet, with the idea being a break from Death Guard....

Of course, who am I to decline such a passionate declamation of, "KRIEG!!!!"? No one, that's who. Just another faceless, gas-masked sinner; ready to die for the Emperor. It is not for atonement or redemption, for only the Emperor may choose to extend such grace. To assume a mere infantryman could influence such a thing is the height of hubris. We die simply because he demands it of us.

Uh, yeah, Krieg kill-team. Gonna build and paint me a Krieg Veteran Guardsman kill team.

If you have the time do both and decide on what one you want to actually use as your entry?

20 minutes ago, Slave to Darkness said:

If you have the time do both and decide on what one you want to actually use as your entry?

You can enter both if you wish! No limit on number of entries, though we'd prefer people finish one before starting on another?

13 minutes ago, Ripper.McGuirl said:

Hopefully having 3 done so far isn't too much, the rest are just primed.

No, not at all, it's a team of 8 or 10 or something, right? Looking forward to seeing the rest, these guys look awesome!

1 hour ago, Lysimachus said:

You can enter both if you wish! No limit on number of entries, though we'd prefer people finish one before starting on another?

In that case I may do Khorne Renegades and Legion of the Damned. :wub:

Unfortunately this has come at the wrong time for me as I'm mid-way through a couple of projects so can't fit in another Kill Team to build and paint as well. Which is a shame as I'd have been all over this otherwise! 

I look forward to seeing what everyone taking part is able to build and paint though :thumbsup::smile:

As someone who doesn't play Kill Team, I'm looking through the stuff I have on it and just want to clarify something. A Kill Team is comprised of between 1 and 2 fireteams (depending on faction) correct? Say, if I wanted to do an IG Kill Team (which needs 2 fire teams) I could select the Guardsman Fire Team of 7 operatives and a Scions team of 5 operatives for a total of 12 members? Is that right?