Best secondaries?

ranulf the revenant

Hey guys,

I wanted to get some opinions on the 'best' secondary objectives for us. I've been struggling with that part of the game a bit, mostly because I'm so caught up in list building, strategems and all that jazz that I treated them as an afterthought in the past. In general, I'm not a huge fan of the concept in itself and if it were up to me, I would probably drop the whole layer of codex-specific-secondaries from the game tbh. But since they're part of the game, I'll have to get a grip on them, I guess.
I have used some of the Space Wolves secondaries in the past, with rather mediocre success. Some of the "Kill-X" objectives seem fun and fluffy, but also situational. I once tried "Oaths..." from the Marine codex, which seemed to provide value a bit more reliably (forgot about moving a unit in the center in each round though, because I'm an idiot).

Anyway, what are your recommendations? What is your approach in general? Do you have a set plan for secondaries already in advance, or do you choose depending on mission and or opponent?

Thanks in advance, ranulf

It's a tough one. Some secondaries require planning at the list writing stage. For example, anything involving Actions (e.g. Raise the Banners, Retrieve Nephilm Data etc) will need some fairly cheap units to perform those actions. Units taking actions cannot normally shoot or fight for a turn so you don't want to waste high value units on them.  Company Veterans are popular for some actions as they are very cheap. Sky Claws are also fairly cheap and mobile so also work well in this role.

Some secondaries are dependent on your opponent. There is no point taking Abhor the Witch against Necrons or Tau for example. Sometimes I like to plan for 2 secondaries in advance and then leave the third slot free for a choice of Bring it Down, Grind them Down or Abhor the Witch depending on opponent.

Engage on All Fronts is an interesting choice for us as we have access to Cyberwolves. These are a bargain at only 15 points each and can be used to grab table quarters very easily as well as screening out enemy Reserves.

Oath of Moment was very good as it was normally possibly to virtually guarantee at least a few VPs per turn. However now you only score 1 VP for destroying enemy units it is a bit less lucrative. Still, it is a fairly decent fall-back option.

Glory Kills is a great choice for us as it provides lots of VPs simply for killing the enemy. It is hard to go too far wrong with this one unless you are facing a horde of infantry with little vehicle or character backup.

A Mighty Saga is another great choice but requires a fairly punchy Warlord. Fortunately we have some great options such as Wolf Lord on Thunderwolf to achieve this one.

Warrior Pride is also a fairly easy one to achieve, particularly against an enemy that is likely to come to you.

Edited by Karhedron

Shock tactics is actually seeing usage since the buff.

That combined with raise the banners is an interesting combo...if they come to remove your banners they are trading an easy 4 in shock tactics with SW counter attack ability

That 1 point buff doesn't seem like much but it helps.  I think 3 shock tactic scores a game are the floor. 

Recent tourney talk is about a UM list that won a GT recently and their finals match was a 1 point win...they used shock tactics in that game