Open submissions 2023

theSpirea

I believe it was mentioned in one of the threads here recently whether there's going to be another open submission by BL. And here we go, it's announced:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/12/07/get-your-thinking-caps-on-black-library-open-submission-window-is-coming-early-2023/

"Black Library is again on the hunt for promising new talent; this time, we’re looking for short stories featuring Space Marine Successor Chapters! "

As always, I wish everyone who is going to participate good luck.

They mentioned further terms and conditions being revealed in January, so let's see if they restrict that even further.

Think I'll join this round again by renaming a homebrew chapter of mine and use a blank canon name. Glad that they announced it already. That gives the participants more time to think about and prepare for it even further.

3 hours ago, Gamiel said:

Just wondering, you people that think about entering, do you plan to use a successor that has some established lore or one that is just a name and colours?

Just my opinion, but I'd aim for Chapters with at least a little bit of background to them.

'These stories should be high-stakes, action-heavy, and show the warriors of the Adeptus Astartes doing what they do best – while showcasing the unique traits of your chosen Chapter. What sets the Silver Skulls or the Mortifactors apart from other Ultramarines Successors – besides the colour of their armour?'

This is the part of the article I'd pay the most attention to. If you're making someone up from as good as whole cloth, then there's no real measure of their uniqueness as a first blush/audition kind of story. I think it'll be more rewarding if you pick a Chapter, very established or Ultima, which has a nice bit of uniqueness in their culture or how they go to war.

Again, just my two cents. Good luck to everyone!

This one's a little tricky to pin down exactly, so I'm glad there's more detail coming. Are they looking specifically for known Successors, wanting stories that explicitly compare-and-contrast the cultural (and philosophical) drift between a Chapter and the original Legion over the years, or is it a more generalist call for stories about Space Marines outside of the main line? I would think that the idea would be to pitch interesting stories about Chapters who have some background but don't have a modern presence, e.g. the Lamenters.

Unless the further criteria precludes it, it'll be Marines Malevolent for me. De gustibus non est disputandum.

As much fun as interminable navel-gazing might be, I very much like it as a 'filter'. We do read books because of their inherent biffiness: culture and philosophy and ethics are a lot more fun when they're being used to bludgeon the other guy to death. Being able to construct a gripping action scene is a fair barrier to entry, I wot.

On 12/7/2022 at 4:08 PM, Gamiel said:

Just wondering, you people that think about entering, do you plan to use a successor that has some established lore or one that is just a name and colours?

I think so. This is how they get new authors so they want to see how well you can capture their IP. They want to see that you understand what makesthe Crimson Fists (or chapter of your choice) different from other chapters. There's plenty of chapters out there that are just a name. If you write one of them its probably not too far off just making your own chapter. While a blank slate is normally great it mightn't give GW what they are looking for.

Out of interest- can anyone tell me who might have authority to discipline a successor chapter in Imperium Nihilus?

Unless the Chapter in question is close to a region under some sort of Imperial control, ie Nachmund/Vigilus or Baal, I doubt there is anyone to control them.  Not that Chapters answer to anyone normally really.

Best I can think of is an Inquisitor at large trying to hold things together and trying to pull rank 

I was initially going to write a story about the White Consuls but I'm leaning more towards Marines Malevolant. As it happens White Consuls are one of the most looked up articles on the wiki this week. Maybe other people are thinking what I was thinking.

2 minutes ago, grailkeeper said:

I was initially going to write a story about the White Consuls but I'm leaning more towards Marines Malevolant. As it happens White Consuls are one of the most looked up articles on the wiki this week. Maybe other people are thinking what I was thinking.

I think that’s due to the Vitrian Messinius miniature GW just announced, he’s a White Consuls Captain.

4 hours ago, grailkeeper said:

I think so. This is how they get new authors so they want to see how well you can capture their IP. They want to see that you understand what makesthe Crimson Fists (or chapter of your choice) different from other chapters. There's plenty of chapters out there that are just a name. If you write one of them its probably not too far off just making your own chapter. While a blank slate is normally great it mightn't give GW what they are looking for.

Yeah, I assume that they'll want us to flesh out an already "settled" chapter for the reasons you've mentioned.

That's why I got two plans at hand.

Plan A: Obsidian Glaibes, who are featured in the Sanctus Reach campaign, said to be extinct but never trust imperial records ;)

Plan B (If they'll allow it termswise): Void Tridents, a fresh chapter but with enough snippets to work with and have a rough idea of what this chapter is about

Hopefully, we don't have to wait until end of January for clarification. Think I'll start working on both ends just to be prepared. 

How are your submissions coming along?

I'm written a few non-fiction books but finding writing fiction much much tougher. I cringe a bit re-reading what I've written, It's a bit like hearing your voice back on a tape.

Edited by grailkeeper

Really depends on their further details in January. I have a few "in progress stories" that can easily be changed to some less known chapter, but if they gonna want heavy action, then I'm out of luck. Mine are more character development and a pinch of horror to boot.

Currently on hold until we got further details. 

Got two concepts in hand which both are adaptable so there's that.

Guess we'll have an update early January. 

• 3 weeks later...

Very glad to see it confined to the Era Indomitus, as that's easily the most interesting possible setting to pitch (and, selfishly, to read about). Indomitus offers a whole slew of possibilities in both retaking worlds and battling gribblies with the Imperium just trying to bounce back. It also means that the Primaris Chapters (or Primaris reinforcements) are going to be feeling their way forward, which I've very much enjoyed stories about (e.g. War of Secrets). There's also plenty of opportunities to flesh out events that are Codex snippets, like the Lamenters deploying in strength to help the Iron Lords, or the Marines Malevolent coming down to steal a Custodian's boots HEROICALLY BATTLE VILE XENOS

It also - and perhaps this is entirely my own cynicism speaking here - forces potential writers to get out of their 'comfort zone' and away from long-established events or bolting these Chapters onto other, bigger conflicts. It encourages much more original storytelling, I wot, and I'm very pleased to see that.

Track of Words has put together a helpful guide to the Open Submission window, with advice from Black Library Authors, many of whom have gotten their break via this route.

https://www.trackofwords.com/2023/01/09/writing-for-black-library-open-submissions-january-2023-part-1-pitching/

(there are three parts)

if you are thinking of submitting I’d suggest giving it a look (and if you are thinking of it then you might as just go ahead and do it!)

3 hours ago, Denny said:

Track of Words has put together a helpful guide to the Open Submission window, with advice from Black Library Authors, many of whom have gotten their break via this route.

https://www.trackofwords.com/2023/01/09/writing-for-black-library-open-submissions-january-2023-part-1-pitching/

Much appreciated, very useful!

Good luck to everyone who goes for it. :thumbsup:

Edited by Mazer Rackham