Open submissions 2023

theSpirea

41 minutes ago, Rain said:

Fair enough, and congratulations @Denny! What stories have you written for BL? I remember ADB was on here years ago. Always neat to interact with people that have added to the canon.

Outgunned, Fire Made Flesh, Da Gobbo’s Demise, Low Lives, and a bunch of shorts. :no:

21 minutes ago, grailkeeper said:

He wrote Outgunned. It's very good. 

Thank you!

Rejection's just the way of the world. Rackham's exactly right: right story, right eyes, right time. One must simply try, try again.

For my money, it's a great opportunity to expand on and polish up my pitch into a proppa short story. I still think it's a story worth telling and that people will be interested in reading, and fanfiction has always been for more-or-less that exact purpose: telling stories that don't quite (or definitely don't) fit with what's being officially published. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/16/2023 at 9:31 AM, Mazer Rackham said:

Fingers crossed for those still waiting.

I'm going to risk the cannon and ask if anyone who hadn't heard anything, now has?

I'm still waiting, but getting less hopeful by the day... :tongue:

Edited by Lysimachus

Haven’t heard anything yet, I’m hopeful that’s because I submitted on the last day so they’re still going through by submission date.

Judging from previous years up to 6 months for feedback isn’t unusual, and word is they’ve received more submissions this year due to the rise of AI-generated content. I don’t think the 6 weeks/100 days deadline ever had much practical ground. One year I read had about 2,000 submissions with 12 finalists (and 1 short story as a result) so with those sorts of numbers I wouldn’t put much weight into time from submission. 

I think I’m more excited to get rejected just so I can share the excerpt with others for feedback at this point.  

2 hours ago, Maque said:

Haven’t heard anything yet, I’m hopeful that’s because I submitted on the last day so they’re still going through by submission date.

Could be, I know it isn't that for me as I filled out my entry within about half an hour of it going live... :laugh:

2 hours ago, Maque said:

I think I’m more excited to get rejected just so I can share the excerpt with others for feedback at this point.

Definitely this. I'd just really like to know one way or the other, as the story is finished and if BL don't want it, I'll be publishing it for the B+C via the Cabal of Dead Ink instead!

• 3 weeks later...
15 hours ago, Maque said:

I reached out to Black Library and entries are still being processed, they seemed to imply there was a huge volume of entries compared to previous years. 

I did this as well a couple of days ago, but hadn't had any reply yet. That's good to hear there is still a chance if we haven't been turned down already! :thumbsup:

• 1 month later...

That's very interesting, I had pretty much given up hope, but maybe there is still a little bit...?

Out of curiosity, what email address did you ask and get an answer via?

I tried emailing through the Warhammer Community contact email back in July, got an automated response but nothing after that (which is why I had given up!)

Edited by Lysimachus

8 minutes ago, Lysimachus said:

That's very interesting, I had pretty much given up hope, but maybe there is still a little bit...?

Out of curiosity, what email address did you ask and get an answer via?

I tried emailing through the Warhammer Community contact email back in July, got an automated response but nothing after that (which is why I had given up!)

I was just checking this thread now before I emailed, great timing. 

I’ve previously reached out to the Black Library contact email, and got a response from a ‘GWPLC’ email with the Black Library one CC’d in. 

I’ve been nervous for a while that my initial email was entered wrong and I’ve missed the feedback. 

1 hour ago, Maque said:

I’ve been nervous for a while that my initial email was entered wrong and I’ve missed the feedback. 

Maddening, isn't it? I'm quite sure I know my own email, but there's a bit of me that keeps thinking 'Did I spell it out correctly?'

Would have been nice if they had set up an automatic response to all submissions, replying to whatever email address was entered on the sub. Just a 'Thanks for your submission!' or whatever.

Not difficult to do, and would be one less thing to worry about! :laugh:

15 hours ago, Lysimachus said:

Maddening, isn't it? I'm quite sure I know my own email, but there's a bit of me that keeps thinking 'Did I spell it out correctly?'

Would have been nice if they had set up an automatic response to all submissions, replying to whatever email address was entered on the sub. Just a 'Thanks for your submission!' or whatever.

Not difficult to do, and would be one less thing to worry about! :laugh:

100% this. It can be automated too so it’s no extra work!