Open submissions 2023

theSpirea

2 hours ago, grailkeeper said:

Do you think it would be a problem if we posted our 100 word synopsis here? I know they dont want any part of the story itself posted online but feedback on the synopsis might help us do the best job possible.

I would err on the side of caution with that.

Well I've been quietly tinkering with mine ever since the announcement popped up and it is now submitted after some read-overs from friends and peers within some of my circles.
Never done this before so it was quite a challenge to try and condense the necessary action and intrigue within the 500 word limit and especially the 100 word summary, but I got thee in the end. Also went with one of our numerous Successors with naught but a name and colour scheme, giving them some unique flavour inspired by some discussions in my Liber Astartes home years ago.

Now it's just that hardest part, waiting. Ironically, I'm actually at Warhammer World on Deadline Day, so it was tempting to submit it in person, but I don't think that would have worked. :laugh:

Fingers crossed for everyone!

Cambrius

Well I've got the story written and sent out to unwilling victims happy beta readers, but I'm second guessing myself now. I have a solid story (IMO of course) but it's not action loaded, there's a single action scene then tension and conflict for the rest of the story but no more fight scenes. Maybe I'll write another story about an Ultima Founding Chapter, but my worry there is that choosing a Chapter that's little more than a name would basically be the same as choosing a homebrew, that doesn't really feel like this is what GW is looking for. If I could submit more than once I'd write another story and send both.

17 hours ago, Sanctimonius said:

Well I've got the story written and sent out to unwilling victims happy beta readers, but I'm second guessing myself now. I have a solid story (IMO of course) but it's not action loaded, there's a single action scene then tension and conflict for the rest of the story but no more fight scenes. Maybe I'll write another story about an Ultima Founding Chapter, but my worry there is that choosing a Chapter that's little more than a name would basically be the same as choosing a homebrew, that doesn't really feel like this is what GW is looking for. If I could submit more than once I'd write another story and send both.

If you are experiencing second thoughts, just remember it's better to put yourself forwards for a chance, than ensuring you have no chance at all by not submitting.

The concern of a lack of action is certainly something to be mindful of however, as I've got the impression that GW wants to see a bit of action in the excerpt to gauge how we can handle those moments to really engage the reader. On the subject of a blank Chapter, it does fit within the brief to take a Canon chapter that is naught but a name and colour scheme. I've done that myself with my submission and it's not out of the ordinary either. The Star Dragons are one example I can think of from that in one of the omnibuses iirc.

Go with what you think feels right, taking the feedback from your beta testers on board, I wish you the best of fortune. :)

Cambrius

Action is varying and can be almost everything. Chase scene, 1:1 action, whatever you like

Regarding an Ultima chapter, I'm going for one myself and they explicitly included the Ultima Founding. Hence I don't think that picking one of them will be an issue. But tbh, I had the same thoughts before settling on my chosen chapter. :)

4 hours ago, Brother Cambrius said:

If you are experiencing second thoughts, just remember it's better to put yourself forwards for a chance, than ensuring you have no chance at all by not submitting.

The concern of a lack of action is certainly something to be mindful of however, as I've got the impression that GW wants to see a bit of action in the excerpt to gauge how we can handle those moments to really engage the reader. On the subject of a blank Chapter, it does fit within the brief to take a Canon chapter that is naught but a name and colour scheme. I've done that myself with my submission and it's not out of the ordinary either. The Star Dragons are one example I can think of from that in one of the omnibuses iirc.

Go with what you think feels right, taking the feedback from your beta testers on board, I wish you the best of fortune. :)

Cambrius

Oh I'll certainly be submitting something, I'm just second-guessing what it will be. My story is on the Mantis Warriors, but I'll probably also throw together something on the Astral Bears, a chapter that literally has a name and nothing else (not even a scheme).

But good luck to all who do submit

Edited by Sanctimonius

1 hour ago, grailkeeper said:

My own action scene features the marines standing back and watching the action happen to others. I hope that's ok. 

As long as that action is quintessentially 40K in style, it should be fine. Sometimes an outside-looking-in angle can be more illuminating. 

I just read Rhu James Short story for the day. It's incredible. Kinda makes me sad that my submission isn't as good. I'm thinking of either 

A) rewriting something brand new,

B) Adding more action into the substantive story, or 

C) changing from a first person narrative to third person omniscient. 

9 hours ago, grailkeeper said:

I just read Rhu James Short story for the day. It's incredible. Kinda makes me sad that my submission isn't as good. I'm thinking of either 

A) rewriting something brand new,

B) Adding more action into the substantive story, or 

C) changing from a first person narrative to third person omniscient. 

Ah, the joy of being an author. Reading someone else’s work and feeling crappy about your own is sadly inevitable. It sucks. I’m sorry. 

You need to try and separate your emotional reaction from an objective appraisal of the work. Remember that Mr(?) James story probably underwent numerous revisions. It would not have been as outstanding when first submitted.

if you think you can make your work stronger, then absolutely do so! But starting from scratch or completely changing your POV seem reactionary. At least sleep on it and then try and reflect on whether such changes will improve your work. Why did you originally pick 1st person POV? What would you gain from 3rd person POV?

if you are going to make revisions, I’d focus on revising the extract rather than the entire story. You can amend the rest of it later if you like the changes, but it will give you a snapshot of how the story might sounds with a change POV (and is the only bit you will initially be assessed on anyway).

Edited by Denny

Just submitted my extract.

If BL don't like it I'll submit the 100 word description and the extract here. Maybe you guys might like it have feedback on it. 

I have about 3-4K words done. I suppose I am better off finishing the first draft even if it isnt accepted.

20 hours ago, grailkeeper said:

Just submitted my extract.

If BL don't like it I'll submit the 100 word description and the extract here. Maybe you guys might like it have feedback on it. 

I have about 3-4K words done. I suppose I am better off finishing the first draft even if it isnt accepted.

Best of luck!

I'll very likely do the same as well if mine is rejected, alongside some of the extra pieces I had written out as I tried to navigate which extract would work best. :thumbsup:

Cambrius