=] 12 Months of Hobby 2023 [=

Grotsmasha

I think i'll do some experimenting for August. with scouts relegated to elites in 40k and some unbuilt older termies lying about from a long dead project i'm eyeing up bringing them into my ultra's. 

So, for August, I pledge to complete 1 30k Ultramarine Scout and 1 30k Ultramarine Indomitus Terminator. No pics as I haven't even gotten past thinking about it, will edit/update when i've worked out what bits im going to use and where/how

Late as usual, but vow complete!

Wittering in this spoiler

Spoiler

So I just wanted to document the purple in case I ever do another. I tried airbrush Vallejo gunmetal from below graduated to aluminium  from above, but the airbrush just wouldn’t do the gunmetal, so it was pretty much aluminium base.

Then I tried to brush contrast purple over the top, but it looked really blotchy. So I wiped it off and tried a mix of blood letter and Army Painter Blue tone. But that was more ‘plum’ than purple. So then I tried airbrushing a Vallejo red/blue mix thinned down but that didn’t work either. 

so then I effectively re-base coated with a mix of Vallejo red/blue/aluminium and a little pale blue because it was looking dark.

Then washed it with a brush with the blood letter/blue tone plum mix with some further purple contrast mixed in. 

finally a few edge highlights, aluminium with a little citadel purple. It’s not really as rich as I envisaged to begin with and is still very dark but it will do.

More pics in this one

Spoiler

Haven’t decided on which shoulder pad combo. Legion symbol white on purple (old-school style with a raven wing decal) or gold on white (chaos decal overpainted with gold)?IMG_2686.thumb.jpeg.9dd6f601193094117e687a17e2ea3a07.jpegIMG_2693.thumb.jpeg.529acc40a78ee34ff47b2d8c9890bc96.jpegIMG_2688.thumb.jpeg.5d3f92497fe41654897f80e883d60f3c.jpeg

IMG_2687.jpeg

Progress update

I'll probably never use a standard bolter armed scout, but he's an old test mini anyway so its perfect for what I want, and the Termi's shield is not his (he's just borrowing it for posing) so he'll be complete without one as I don't have any spare Invictarii shields yet

yZ4m5Ai.jpg

Got the skitarii undercoated with leadbelcher spray. Finally a dry day.

Might just enter the alpha in the 2hr painting contest as a test model.

16914242888501576891813311679202.jpg

Edited by Brother Carpenter

@Grotsmasha please can you randomise me another Heresy Legion (I feel like either this makes me finish a squad I have in progress or I can start to build up a ‘March of the Legions’).

Inspired by Darren Latham and @Jolemai with his beautiful terminators, I might try to find a 90s marine as well. (I say “and” but do we ever see them in the same place at the same time?)

Ps @Kennyjapan the terminator looks ace with that shield.

Just a small one for August - a pair of icon bearers and a ridgerunner spotter (who didn't get done when I did the rest of that kit).

I, Rogue, vow to complete two-and-a-half neophytes before the end of August.

20230807_202829.jpg

Edited by Rogue
Just because

1 hour ago, LameBeard said:

@Grotsmasha please can you randomise me another Heresy Legion (I feel like either this makes me finish a squad I have in progress or I can start to build up a ‘March of the Legions’).

Inspired by Darren Latham and @Jolemai with his beautiful terminators, I might try to find a 90s marine as well. (I say “and” but do we ever see them in the same place at the same time?)

Ps @Kennyjapan the terminator looks ace with that shield.

:sweat:

Thanks :thumbsup: and there's something really good about doing a decent job on a model from that era. Especially a metal one where the detail pops out more and more as you pain :wub:

I, Paladin777, embark on the 12 Months of Hobby Challenge, and for the month of August pledge to complete 1 Blood Angels Sanguinary Priest with jump pack and finish one Blood Angels Librarian in Terminator Armor for the glory of Sanguinius by month's end.

IMG_7851.jpeg

On 7/19/2023 at 10:08 PM, Brother Captain Arkley said:

I, Brother Captain Arkley, embark on the 12 Months of Hobby Challenge, and for the month of July pledge to complete 5 Ultramarines Terminators by month's end.

20230719_214612.jpg

A bit late on the go but Terminators are complete, the just need varnished but I am waiting a day for base and transfers to fully dry.

20230810_200849.jpg

Just now, Daimyo-Phaeron Lenoch said:

I, Daimyo-Phaeron Lenoch, heed the Call to Arms for the Imperium and pledge to paint seven infantry (7x1), a heavy weapons team (1x2), and four characters (4x5) for a total of twenty-nine points for the Glory of the Adeptus Astartes on or before September 30, 2023, or bear the badge of failure til year's end.

IMG_4980.jpg

Alright, I've been meaning to make this vow for a bit but have been away and/or not able to get to the painting table. Included in that vow are two old metal chaplains (one of whom I've magnetized for both Jump operations and on-foot ops), and I may even toss in another chaplain I got second-hand but don't want to fully strip and repaint as a bonus non-scoring model.

There's only one complicated paint scheme in this mix, so hopefully it goes smoothly.

copying my Imperium Stronghold vow over here for the month of August. Seven infantry, a HWT, and 4 chaplaincy dudes.

So my progress has been painfully slow, as I try to tackle new techniques and ways to add some detail to my marines, to the point of I am seriously beginning to doubt if I will even make all my Call to Arms vows by end of next month, not the end of this as I had hoped.  I have received my next Imperium drop so I have at least got all the models now and can start to divide and conquer on a monthly/weekly basis but things are looking grim.

In an attempt to keep some sort of forward momentum I would like to add to my vow for this month: 1x Terminator Captain, 5x Terminators (forgot the Teleport homer so I guess I will tackle that later) and 5x Barbgaunts

large.TerminatorCaptainBefore.jpg.3ace2a98df69c332e7dfe8e6760cf184.jpg.b11a56e19ff87adf895bd6eab3514ea1.jpglarge.TerminatorsBefore.jpg.8c65977d2804d684ed7e8cbb6c5c71e8.jpg.d69e6f3dca298a59fe1dcb9ada7ce44f.jpglarge.BarbgauntsBefore.jpg.e1bf9de01406c6eb65d26684e24abd80.jpg.cfeaed166e0dde90624117493d70b91e.jpg

I will get a revised Plodding Along vow up shortly too as I imagine these Terminators will be part of my new 2000pts for 10th.

Keep up the good work everyone.  I am off to deal with techniques and things I haven't tried for nearly 15 or more years... transfers...

Good luck with the transfers. Top tip:

1 gloss varnish

2 micro sol on spot of transfer application ( the blue bottle)

3 use tissue to dab transfer dry and eliminate air bubbles

new coat of gloss over dry transfer

5 matte varnish over entire model.

I've gone about 30 years without micro sol and set, but what wasted years have those been.

Also with old transfers ( like 3 & 4 th ed transfer sheets it really helps)

Edited by Brother Carpenter