Upcoming BL Stuff - 2023

Tolmeus

19 minutes ago, DarkChaplain said:

Only new releases are the Archmage anthology (including 5 AoS shorts, one being obviously Archmage, but strangely, 3 of the other 4 authors don't match the releases from that special AoS week Archmage was published in. Why the hell they didn't put *those* 5 stories into a 5 story anthology at least is beyond me) and the audiobook for the Overlords of the Iron Dragon sequel. That's it.

It's not just AoS stories, its a Store Celebration collection"of five stories features works from Evan Dicken, Nate Crowley, Chris Forrester, Sandy Mitchell, and Richard Strachan, covering tales from the Horus Heresy, Warhammer 40,000, and Warhammer Age of Sigmar."

Does anyone have any recommendations for more places online to discuss 40k lore and black library?  I know of the reddit sub (which is a little too meme'y for my liking, but there can be some good discussion) and facebook groups like Black Library Nutters, but are there any other websites I should be adding to the rotation?  

Well, as expected...

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/01/25/black-library-celebration-2023-scintillating-tales-from-the-worlds-of-warhammer/

They do release several special edition at the same day, I'm not sure how we suppose to get all the books we want :confused:

I did contact their support a month ago, asked about preferred shipment method, and combining orders, the problem is that when you press place order, its taking you straight to payment, with standard delivery option, wich is my case is awful, because local post can take weeks with the order being delivered, as well they said "no we cant combine orders after the payment", my plan was to order SoT first, and then if DoF is stil in stock, get it as well, and then ask them to combine my orders, but it seems I'll have to pay twice for delivery and twice my local tax, at this point I'm so frustrated with those special editions, even when i do receive the books, I'm not feeling hyped or happy at all.

Edited by OpossumStrong

That Siege of Terra art print I would like to have, I wonder if they will sell that separately?

You would think so right, surely it doesnt make sense to only do 10 copies as a free giveaway?

Then again this is BL. Need to find out if these will be for sale.

29 minutes ago, Taliesin said:

That Siege of Terra art print I would like to have, I wonder if they will sell that separately?

You would think so right, surely it doesnt make sense to only do 10 copies as a free giveaway?

Then again this is BL. Need to find out if these will be for sale.

I also really want that print!  I imagine it’ll be available at a later date, just in a poorer quality finish and not signed by NR.  

So many goodies dropping at the same time.

Luckily I'm in a minority and my main priority is Bad Loon Rising. That's a killer cover!

What I don't understand why they are doing GG trilogy again... How about they actually commit to reprint the whole series in the same format. First and Only already exists in 4 different hardbacks afaik

I was so hyped for Dawn of Fire when it launched. Even The Gate of Bones didn't cool off my enthusiasm too much.

The Wolftime and subsequent works have done quite a number on my interest, though. It's pretty sad how badly they mangled the Hand of Abaddon mystery and then, even after completely retconning the timing of Dark Imperium, they subsequently managed to make the Indomitus novel (which launched at almost the same time as DoF Book 1) necessarily non-canon... although I guess I should look at that as a mercy killing since it was another Thorpe work and was about as paint-by-numbers as a story could get. And it seems they're still going to distort the timeline of Wraight's Hexarchy crisis when they actually get around to mentioning it.

I'm not looking forward to reading The Iron Kingdom. At this point, I do still feel like I need to finish out the series. But it's become a chore rather than something to look forward to.

On the upside, anyone who's looking forward to trying to snag a copy of the limited edition has one less person to compete with. It's epub for me from now on.

To release more than one limited edition is a shame. I am a collector of these beauties and it is seriously a pain in the *** to get especially the SoT one. 

My advice is nonetheless to prioritize the SoT novel, since the prices of the scalpers explode for these ones (Echoes costs still around 300£ even now, what a joke)

Considering the DoF series, not so much in comparison

9 minutes ago, Lord Nord said:

I was so hyped for Dawn of Fire when it launched. Even The Gate of Bones didn't cool off my enthusiasm too much.

The Wolftime and subsequent works have done quite a number on my interest, though. It's pretty sad how badly they mangled the Hand of Abaddon mystery and then, even after completely retconning the timing of Dark Imperium, they subsequently managed to make the Indomitus novel (which launched at almost the same time as DoF Book 1) necessarily non-canon... although I guess I should look at that as a mercy killing since it was another Thorpe work and was about as paint-by-numbers as a story could get. And it seems they're still going to distort the timeline of Wraight's Hexarchy crisis when they actually get around to mentioning it.

I'm not looking forward to reading The Iron Kingdom. At this point, I do still feel like I need to finish out the series. But it's become a chore rather than something to look forward to.

On the upside, anyone who's looking forward to trying to snag a copy of the limited edition has one less person to compete with. It's epub for me from now on.

Was hyped as well, i did enjoy most if the books, but wolftime...i couldn't even finish the book, its the first book in like 5-7 years i didn't finish reading.

And to be honest, DoF special editions always up for like 20-30 minutes, unlike 5 minutes SoT...

Just now, Tolmeus said:

To release more than one limited edition is a shame. I am a collector of these beauties and it is seriously a pain in the *** to get especially the SoT one. 

My advice is nonetheless to prioritize the SoT novel, since the prices of the scalpers explode for these ones (Echoes costs still around 300£ even now, what a joke)

Considering the DoF series, not so much in comparison

Same, you can always get DoF for reasonable price even from scalpers, but the fact that you cant combine orders(wich are preorders) and you cant choose preferred shipment method, this is sad, and makes the order process even more frustrating.

Sad to see DoF isn't doing it for most people, I think it's the best multi-author series we've gotten out of BL so far, and I love how each book keeps things moving while maintaining an appropriate scope and breadth of factions - that is, Imperial factions. Book 6 will be sorely in need of some xenos.

I mean, a lack of Abnett, Wraight, and ADB was always going to mean the individual entries wouldn't be standalone masterpieces, but I'm very on board if it continues as it has. I even like the Haley entries!

24 minutes ago, Roomsky said:

Sad to see DoF isn't doing it for most people, I think it's the best multi-author series we've gotten out of BL so far, and I love how each book keeps things moving while maintaining an appropriate scope and breadth of factions - that is, Imperial factions. Book 6 will be sorely in need of some xenos.

I mean, a lack of Abnett, Wraight, and ADB was always going to mean the individual entries wouldn't be standalone masterpieces, but I'm very on board if it continues as it has. I even like the Haley entries!

Compared to the crud-show that HH/SoF is, DoF is doing well so far. All 4 novels so far were pretty decent, even though they came from authors that this forum especially has quite a bit of grudge against, granted some of it deserved.

Kyme's been on an absolute tear of late, and that Iron Kingdom LE just speaks to me on a deep, emotional level. Just looking at it gives me Old World chills of the best kind.

Considering that he did a similar theme for the very impressive Knights of Macragge, this is the first Dawn of Fire book I've got any real interest in and seems to be a sure-fire banger. 

6 hours ago, OpossumStrong said:

Well, as expected...

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/01/25/black-library-celebration-2023-scintillating-tales-from-the-worlds-of-warhammer/

They do release several special edition at the same day, I'm not sure how we suppose to get all the books we want :confused:

I did contact their support a month ago, asked about preferred shipment method, and combining orders, the problem is that when you press place order, its taking you straight to payment, with standard delivery option, wich is my case is awful, because local post can take weeks with the order being delivered, as well they said "no we cant combine orders after the payment", my plan was to order SoT first, and then if DoF is stil in stock, get it as well, and then ask them to combine my orders, but it seems I'll have to pay twice for delivery and twice my local tax, at this point I'm so frustrated with those special editions, even when i do receive the books, I'm not feeling hyped or happy at all.

Are they going to release all of these in the same weekeend for us online or separetely over the days? 

11 minutes ago, aa.logan said:

I know we shouldn’t read too much into the wording of WarCom articles, but still…

The End and the Death is mentioned as being available as a special, rather than limited, edition…

IIRC they usually use ‘specials edition’ rather than ‘limited edition’ if it’s a multi format release e.g. hardback, epub etc.  Usual WarCom caveats apply!

Maybe they're cottoning on to the fact that all their print releases are actually limited from a practical perspective; new "regular" hardcovers routinely become unavailable from their own webstore the day of release.

The quick and easy solution is to embrace it. When everything's a Limited Edition, nothing is! :teehee:

"Oh, what? Uh, call them..." *Scans the thesaurus.* "Special! Special Editions!"

35 minutes ago, aa.logan said:

I know we shouldn’t read too much into the wording of WarCom articles, but still…

The End and the Death is mentioned as being available as a special, rather than limited, edition…

Sounds like they’ve realized the community is far happier when they read the books for themselves instead of relying on people with LEs posting lore dumps on Reddit. I dislike the limited edition policy in general, but it’s rather catastrophically foolish to use it for a flagship series, one that many read purely for the lore, and expect the fan base not to be affected negatively.