Upcoming BL Stuff - 2023

Tolmeus

3 hours ago, DarkChaplain said:

Still no idea what Mike Brooks' orks series is supposed to be called on the meta-level, but the audiobook is special again.

The novel in print/ebook only has chapters one to five, every chapter after that is called "Lotz". Around 20 "Lotz" chapters. The audiobook has the narrator (in-character) trying to think which chapter number it actually is - with corrections, or small arguments, etc. Really creative and something unique to the audiobook.

Seriously, Harry Myers is incredible here. That's also the bloke who narrated The Wraithbone Phoenix, which was also brilliantly performed.

Are Brooks’ ork books a series? Repeated characters? Not read them so no idea and just wondered if they were just a bunch of standalone ork books?

7 minutes ago, DarkChaplain said:

Ufthak Blackhawk & Snaggi Littletoof feature in most of them, in one way or another!

Are they good? I have almost exclusively focused my BL reading (forever) on human centred stories. Have avoided xenos as protagonist novels. Wonder if I would enjoy these?

23 minutes ago, DukeLeto69 said:

Are they good? I have almost exclusively focused my BL reading (forever) on human centred stories. Have avoided xenos as protagonist novels. Wonder if I would enjoy these?

If you're looking for a xenos audiobook, please consider The Infinite and the Divine.  A great story with excellent narration.  I've not tried the Ork books yet, but will get round to them especially after DA's recommendation.  

Currently listening to Ruin, but the middle section lost me a bit.  I probably needed more of an understanding of the necron societal structure before diving in tbh.  I didn't feel 'lost' listening to Infinite and the Divine in the same way.  

Either way, I'm sticking with it and will listen to its sequel next.

4 hours ago, DukeLeto69 said:

They’re excellent. Humorous, well written, engaging and absurd. Brooks has a wonderful narrative voice for his Ork works. It’s as if David Attenborough were producing documentaries about monstrously aggressive fungal races that love nothing more than a good crumpin’. 

I second Prophet of Waaagh! By Nate Crowley and also Xenos books by Rath.

Personally, I can't stand Brooks's writing, it's cringy and he's trying way too hard to be cool and edgy. It reads like bad fan fiction. His take on Orks comes out easy and cheap. He's pushing too hard on the "comedy" part and completely fails to develop human characters.

If I had to rank authors of Ork stories from best to worst, it would be Haley, Crowley, Brooks.  As much as I enjoyed Brutal Kunnin' and "The Enemy of My Enemy" (haven't read Ghazghkull yet), the adventures of Big Mek Uggrim and co. just hit differently for me.

6 minutes ago, theSpirea said:

Oh well... https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/03/29/the-hunt-is-on-in-the-lion-son-of-the-forest/

Why a terrible writer like Brooks gets so many LEs and nothing for Rath or Fehervari and similarly talented authors? At least the LE is ugly :cuss:

Funny we were just talking about Mike Brooks and Ork books!

This is your first chance to read about the Lion’s exploits in the 41st Millennium – and to find out exactly what the Primarch of the Dark Angels has been up to since the end of the Horus Heresy. Not just sleeping, it would seem…

So what do we reckon The Lion has been doing for 10k years?

My bet is that The Lion has been using the time to get his head around the rulesets for the W40k game and each time he is ready to launch out there a new edition comes out and he has to start over again!

Alpharius is one of my fav Primarch novels and I'm pretty hyped for it!

Give me loyal Fallen rejoining his retinue and keep the chaos ones as they are, elites for all chaos factions.

The LE is not of my taste but I'll defo get the regular one!

Thought this would happen after they sprung Angron on us.  Not a bad choice of author (would have preferred Collins).  Hopefully, they will actually wrap up the Fallen storyline like they hint in the article.

Now all they have to do is update their BL coming attractions page so we know exactly when we can expect it.*

*yes they say with the model but that doesn’t have a release date either (that I know of).

There are so many possibilities with this book.  The blurb confirms that he's not been asleep for 10k years ... so I wonder what he's been upto?

Bringing The Fallen back into the fold is also appealing ... 

The DA chapter has so many possibilities for development now, this is superb news.  GW have handed this one very well IMO.

Only grumble is 2000 LE copies ... it's not enough GW!

Great to see that the novel is coming about with the model and not n years later. And it seems that Brooks is becoming the next Haley, with the amount of work he's pumping out lately.

Oh and its a simultaneous release! 

2 minutes ago, cheywood said:

As a fan of Brooks and avowed hater of Thorpe’s Dark Angels this is exactly the news I was hoping for. It’s likely this is the embargoed novel on Fnac. If their release date’s accurate, which is usually but not always the case, we’ll be seeing this in early July

The last Arks of Omen book should be coming out sometime in April. So I'm pretty sure this novel will be sold at the same time too.

Edited by System Sound