Upcoming BL Stuff - 2023

Tolmeus

Just now, wecanhaveallthree said:

They've released Hinks from Blackstone prison?! He's been carrying that entire game on his shoulders, glad to see him getting a more mainstream book. Those Marines have certainly let the Tyranids get awfully close, though - probably should have worn their helmets.

Blackstone as a setting died when the Cursed City was announced. And it's a shame. Only 2 novels and a short story collection is way too little...

4 hours ago, System Sound said:

Blackstone as a setting died when the Cursed City was announced. And it's a shame. Only 2 novels and a short story collection is way too little...

This really is a terrible shame, because it's an awesome setting with a ton of potential. The game was great too, it's a pity there seems to be a one-quest-game policy.

Hopeful for this, I don't recall reading any of Hinks books, but as much as I like Sicarius and Calgar, I'm excited to see what the other named Ultramarine characters are up to (given the assumption that Agemman will be one of the main characters in here since it surrounds the first company). Fingers crossed for Cassius as well

Let me guess the plot; a bunch of Ultrarines get dispatched to some planet calling for reinforcements. The only characters of note will be the squad sergeants and other officers.

Lots of tyranids, ho! They fight and they fight and they fight and they fight. All the new units from the 10th edition starting box get to show off how Hardcore and Badass and You Should Buy These Minis they are.

Then the tides turn, and the Tyranids start deploying their new, never-before seen creatures (all lovingly modelled in the Leviathan boxed set, available at gamesworkshop.com). Various depictions of Cool Monster Abilities taking down the heroic but doomed Starter Set Marines in assorted last stands ensue.

Bonus points for some macguffin on the planet that the Librarian can engage with to get some kind of last Hail Mary  psychic message through the Shadow in the Warp, with each of the other Space Marine notables sacrificing themselves to buy him more time (you just know the Terminator Captain will go down against the biggest critter that Nobody Else Can Face).

Epilogue will be Guilliman elsewhere receiving the message that "Leviathan has arrived! (Available on gamesworkshop.com while supplies last)"

I am, of course, being facetiously cynical here. This will totally be some meditative, character-focused piece delving into the brokenness of humanity confronted with a fundamentally and malevolently broken universe. 

2 hours ago, Sothalor said:

Then the tides turn, and the Tyranids start deploying their new, never-before seen creatures (all lovingly modelled in the Leviathan boxed set, available at gamesworkshop.com).

Plot twist: the box set sold out in the first 5 minutes....

I mentioned last week that someone on FB had offered to sell me at cost price their Lion LE.  The book arrived yesterday!  I’m so grateful to the person who helped me out.  I don’t even know the guy other than being in the same BL group together.  But he decided to help me out anyway.  Just shows how many great people are in the community.  

I briefly attended Warhammer Fest yesterday.  I know it’s not billed as a BL event, however it felt wrong that at this huge event there was zero BL presence, save for a few basic paperbacks at the shop (e.g. Horus Rising, Dark Imperium, DoF etc).  Would it have been that difficult to include a BL reveal event in the 800 seat auditorium?  We’re definitely due one anyway as the release radar is so sparse.  There could even have been some author signing sessions or author Q&A’s like they used to do at the BL Weekender.  Imagine the hype they could have generated for the Darius Hinks novel if they would have sold copies at this event, signed by the author himself?  

5 hours ago, Ubiquitous1984 said:

There could even have been some author signing sessions or author Q&A’s like they used to do at the BL Weekender.

Regarding BL Weekender: Will this come back in the future or is this event forever gone? 

As I have never had the chance to visit it I would be really sad about the latter 

6 hours ago, Tolmeus said:

Regarding BL Weekender: Will this come back in the future or is this event forever gone? 

As I have never had the chance to visit it I would be really sad about the latter 

Who knows, there is no communication!  It’s not been seen now since 2019 so I think it’s officially dead.  Which is a huge bummer.  

finally pilgrims of fate. The first on 6 books if the interview is to take in consideration... I really hope for one every quarter or something like that. Then a paperbacks of a hardcover books (outgunned) and finally the great devourer which is the same one published back in 2014.  Valedor (novel) & The Last Days of Ector & Deathstorm (novellas) then a couple of short stories. To be honest quite good. Valedor and Last Days of Ector is probably my favorite tyranids fiction with eldar as well. Usually it's empire vs  tyranids and here we get a change with eldar in the mix. Quite good. 

It really was the one single Bl event where there was some kind of community get together and very much worthwhile.

Meeting authors; the great seminars; the splash of new book releases they would save up; the previews of things to come.

Seeing some actual editors and BL management. They are out of Covid excuses to not do it anymore, so hopefully they will do it.

5 hours ago, theSpirea said:

Another Saturday, another regular HB selling out within minutes

I have to say, I'm a little surprised about Pilgrims of Fire disappearing so quickly.

Sororitas fiction historically seems to have sold less than Space Marine or even Guard fiction (although this is just my anecdotal observation, so maybe I'm wrong).

Wonder if this comes down to author recognition, an increase in readership for Sororitas stories, general increase in demand for BL novels, 40k anything, or whatever combination.

It certainly doesn't mean GW will take any steps to increase access to their products. :teehee:

2 hours ago, Sothalor said:

I have to say, I'm a little surprised about Pilgrims of Fire disappearing so quickly.

Sororitas fiction historically seems to have sold less than Space Marine or even Guard fiction (although this is just my anecdotal observation, so maybe I'm wrong).

Wonder if this comes down to author recognition, an increase in readership for Sororitas stories, general increase in demand for BL novels, 40k anything, or whatever combination.

It certainly doesn't mean GW will take any steps to increase access to their products. :teehee:

I think GW just prints 1000 copies of the hardback (so some other crazy low amount).  No idea why!

4 hours ago, Sothalor said:

Reseller discords/groups identifying Black Library HB's insane after market prices is my guess. Any HB release will get targeted.