Upcoming BL Stuff - 2023

Tolmeus

Games Workshop really sucks in knowing the market.

Look at Crime series where. we had a nice output in the beginning, every two or three months and then it went down.  Now we are getting 2 novels BUT to be honest that initial fuss  died down... even with horror, got some great books, then decided to do interconnected 5 novels series but instead of a timeframeof every x months is so sparse that s absurd... Necromunda novels... released 6 novels/anthologies plus some novellas and kaput....  ;Maybe it didn't sell as much as they hoped but Necromunda they can say, we tried twice doing a series (each have around 7/8 novels) but people are not interested and I can understand that. They are a bussiness. But being a bussiness you need to plan ahead and dawn of fire series and siege of terra were poorly plan.

What we don't know is that they have books written years prior. Mike Brooks on Lion tell us that he wrote back in 2020/2021... so how many books they have on their side but are waiting being printed? One of the worst cases of bad business was Kearney novel dark hunters... man what would be the problem of releasing the damn book ? the other author had no case (at that time it had 1 novel on the series). makes no sense...  Oh well... this is the company books we love :) 

9 hours ago, lansalt said:

I miss Josh Reynolds, his work in the Fabius Bile trilogy and Apocalypse was excellent.

I think that Bile trilogy is some of the best 40K we have.

7 hours ago, burnside986 said:

What ever happened to Reynolds? He sour on GW or just not wanting to swim in the 40K/AOS pool anymore?

I believe there was some discussion here years ago, I dont remember the thread, maybe a Bile one, but it should be searchable. He had some tweets expressing the (many) pitches that BL shot down, but I cannot remember if anything specific was the cause.

2 hours ago, Scribe said:

I think that Bile trilogy is some of the best 40K we have.

I believe there was some discussion here years ago, I dont remember the thread, maybe a Bile one, but it should be searchable. He had some tweets expressing the (many) pitches that BL shot down, but I cannot remember if anything specific was the cause.

It's a shame. He is now wrting for Aconyte in the legend of five rings mystery series. He was such a prolific writer.. Black Library can't keep the good writers and Josh & Guy Haley are two of the most prolific writers in the days they started. Josh Reynolds starting with Knights of Blazing Sun in 2012 he wrote 26 novels. I am not counting short stories. Guy Haley started 2013 with Baneblade and already wrote 32 novels. That's amazing output. (and to be honest both are good writers)

3 hours ago, Bobss said:

Wonder what'll drop first out of The Winds of Winter, The Doors of Stone or Black Legion #3

Probably winds, crazily enough

The Thorn of Emberlain, obviously.

I'm not concerned that Black Legion 3 will at least release someday, which TBH I'm not entirely convinced of for Winds.

1 hour ago, Roomsky said:

I'm not concerned that Black Legion 3 will at least release someday, which TBH I'm not entirely convinced of for Winds.

Is it written? I wonder if it will fast forward to 'today' timeline, or if we are still chilling in the ancient history portion of the Black Legion mythos.

5 hours ago, Bobss said:

Wonder what'll drop first out of The Winds of Winter, The Doors of Stone or Black Legion #3

Probably winds, crazily enough

Its a really good question. If I had to guess I would say Doors of Stone is least likely as there is no updates on that.

Martin's most recent updates state that so much work has been done, but yet more remains, and alarmingly he still doesnt sound like he has reached really the final stretch.

Bl3 seems to exist in some kind of draft form, but that was 2 years ago.

12 minutes ago, Scribe said:

Is it written? I wonder if it will fast forward to 'today' timeline, or if we are still chilling in the ancient history portion of the Black Legion mythos.

As I recall ADB said the third book would be about Abaddon acquiring Drach’nyen, but that was years ago so who knows what’s happening now. 

I'd assume book 3 will be dealing with Drach'nyen and the first Black Crusade, somewhat capping the trilogy (if it's stopped there) at three books detailing the legion wars leading to the conception of the Black Legion, its formation, and then the true start of the active portion of the Long War. 

4 hours ago, Roomsky said:

The Thorn of Emberlain, obviously.

THIS is what the crying reaction was for. Damn, I'm still so ticked off about Thorn of Emberlain. It's been "almost finished" for what, 8 years? This series was projected as a 7 book epic (plus at least one novella anthology that was listed alongside Thorn of Emberlain, even) and it's gotten stalled after book 3 for almost a decade. And then he goes and starts a subscription newsletter. Like, paid subscription. ಠ_ಠ

You dug up old wounds there, Roomsky. Locke Lamora and Jean Tannen deserved better. Like, an ending, rather than the big twist setup from the end of book 3. At least Dan's Bequin trilogy will be concluded at some point, and Black Legion 3 is going to happen sooner rather than later. But the Gentleman Bastard Sequence? Axed by way of mental health problems - probably the only fate more unfair than an author's passing or even the publisher dropping it while retaining the IP rights.

But regarding Black Legion, I fear, too, that the third book will conclude the thing, and ADB won't be writing the originally considered long-running series. Aeternus has already spelled out what I consider most likely as well: We'll get the Drach'nyen payoff from Master of Mankind's setup with Ra, the Emperor and Drach'nyen itself, which will happen during the first Black Crusade, the Black Legion venturing out of the eye in large scale, with Abaddon pursuing his destiny.

I doubt we'll see many of the events Khayon references in his narration - not even the way he got so mutated, or character deaths, because a lot of what he says occurs on a much wider timescale. I could, however, see his narration beginning as the Rift is opening, having him gloat and the book's epilogue basically dumbfounding him after the battle for Terra ends.... and whatever Inquisitor is currently interrogating him informing the bloke about Guilliman's return, or maybe him entering the chamber, to which Khayon will have to concede - at least to himself - that Abaddon's plans didn't shake out entirely as they'd hoped. But no matter. There's always another scheme.

I'd think that'd be a good way to end the trilogy from the framing device angle, and acquiring Drach'nyen is the big milestone there in the past. From there, you could jump in and fill gaps or go further ahead with Abaddon during, say, Dawn of Fire when we'll eventually see Vigilus.

To be honest the writer was very young when he wrote the first novel and second .. I think the fame / pressure were too much. There are writers (and people, football players at least in Europe fall a lot on this... we all know players who were very good but then the fame destroy them and bad choices destroyed their careers... ) who can't handle fame and pressure. 

Another week with nothing... they will putting out in fifteen days probably a LE, no?

With the new seraphon it could have been good to have a novel with them in it. Well accordingly with coming soon , nothing more was to be released in May but in June we will have; (new stuff)

The King of the Spoil, by Jonathan D Beer
The Martyr’s Tomb, by Marc Collins
Yndrasta: The Celestial Spear, by Noah Van Nguyen

Not a good month, unless they throw us some hidden gems

....I really need to pull myself together and not buy into Lizardmen again, no matter how much I want to. They're what got me into Warhammer in the first place, and there are quite a few beauties in the new lineup. Argh.

But I'm not at all surprised about them being ignored by Black Library. It's still extremely fishy that we're having so many dead weeks again. I suppose they'll be releasing like 3 unannounced books in June at least, on top of those they have spoken about. Because pacing things well isn't something BL/GW are capable of.

Though DoF is not that popular, I think they will release it along with 10th edition boxset and the new 10th edition tie-in book, combine this with queue system, and probably the books will be gone as fast as always but without stressing us with the lag. 

Edited by OpossumStrong

6 hours ago, chevalierdulys said:

The King of the Spoil, by Jonathan D Beer
The Martyr’s Tomb, by Marc Collins
Yndrasta: The Celestial Spear, by Noah Van Nguyen

I'm quite excited for all 3 of these, however, my Amazon wishlist tells me August is going to be absolutely brutal, so I'm also in support of shifting more things to July :laugh:

17 hours ago, DarkChaplain said:

....I really need to pull myself together and not buy into Lizardmen again, no matter how much I want to. They're what got me into Warhammer in the first place, and there are quite a few beauties in the new lineup. Argh.

But I'm not at all surprised about them being ignored by Black Library. It's still extremely fishy that we're having so many dead weeks again. I suppose they'll be releasing like 3 unannounced books in June at least, on top of those they have spoken about. Because pacing things well isn't something BL/GW are capable of.

Tell me about it. I have been deliberating on whether or not to buy the new battletome even though I have one they released 6/7 years ago or so.

Trying to find out how much new stuff in it, a youtube browse through shows potential new lore but many of the same units.