The Lion and Successors: Thematically Appropriate?

Cpt_Reaper

Greetings my fellow Unforgiven.

It seems like the return of our Primarch is all but certain, especially with The Knight tarot card literally mirroring his Heresy model. However this has me caught up in a bit of an issue. Would it be thematically appropriate to have the Lion leading a Successor Chapter (in my case a 3rd Generation Successor) without any Dark Angels in the force? I feel like, despite the Lion being the Primarch, without some Dark Angels in the force it wouldn't be right to have him leading it. Instead, a force lead by the Lion should be primarily Dark Angels and include representatives of their Successors.

TL;DR would it be thematically okay to have the Lion leading a Successor force without any Dark Angels, or should Successors be a token force in a Dark Angels army under the Primarch?

Yes it does; because although like guilliman he would lead the his chapter primarily, it doesn’t mean he wouldn’t be part of another chapters strike force to play a decisive role while the dark angels lead a different attack. The Lion cared more about the right people for the right job than favoritism. 

I have thought of this a lot recently. If he returns in green, I’ll paint him my chapters colors just for coherency (sea green or 1st company black). If he returns in black I’ll keep him black and paint him as the box intended

He's the Primarch of the 1st Legion, it would make sense for him to lead any Unforgiven Chapter.

Depending on the scenario, like with Guilliman, it may even make sense for him to be leading any Imperium force.

On one hand, from the Lions perspective, the Green DA (Luther's Calibanites) are the Traitors, and the Loyalists wear Black. SO, will the Lion;

A: refuse to don the colour of Traitors and remain in Black OR

B: will GW explain it away and have him in Green OR

C: will GW not address it at all and do whatever they want?

9 hours ago, Grotsmasha said:

On one hand, from the Lions perspective, the Green DA (Luther's Calibanites) are the Traitors, and the Loyalists wear Black. SO, will the Lion;

A: refuse to don the colour of Traitors and remain in Black OR

B: will GW explain it away and have him in Green OR

C: will GW not address it at all and do whatever they want?

D: give three or more different explanations that say different things and are all canon.

From the Lion’s viewpoint there are no successors as he went into deep sleep before the 2nd Founding.  Imho he would just see DA successors as the ancestors of the original DA wings of the Legion.  So no I don’t think it would be a problem if he led a successor force.

It will be interesting to see how GW handle this and several other issues that would arise from his revival.