2 minutes ago, TheMawr said:

Huh... what does one-in-one-out ethos mean ? ( I couldnt listen to their talking as... people who are not me are sleeping here XD )

As I understood it:

all your specific rules are supposed to be on a single page. That page gets swapped as is for another one of the subfaction.

i think this sounds interesting, let’s see how that plays out.

Edited by excelite

I've been looking at Sludge recently as another wargame to play and I really admire the ruleset. It's nice to see 40k moving to a leaner approach - obviously we'll see how it turns out, but it's interesting to consider.

I'm really interested by the changes they mentioned to morale - I like the idea of morale having more auxiliary effects rather than "pass test or lose N models."

2 minutes ago, tinpact said:

I've been looking at Sludge recently as another wargame to play and I really admire the ruleset. It's nice to see 40k moving to a leaner approach - obviously we'll see how it turns out, but it's interesting to consider.

I'm really interested by the changes they mentioned to morale - I like the idea of morale having more auxiliary effects rather than "pass test or lose N models."

Me too bro, me too

It's so bizarre how GW constantly flips between polar extremes every edition and calls it progress.

"You can now use your models from different codexes together! Enjoy your whole collection!" "...Nevermind, people didn't like soup, now we're really restricting it again."

"We are making all guns and weapon profiles way more lethal in 9th edition to make every army and new codex more exciting!" "...Nevermind, that was too much, we are reducing lethality again."

"We heard you and now we are making codexes more rich, with more options and subfactions and flexibility than ever before!" "...Nevermind, too many people complained that rules are hard and having more options are bad, we are going back to dumbed-down faction rules." 

I have no interest in Age of 40k: Eat Crayons edition. Especially after 9th was such a hit and they seem to be backpedaling on a lot of the changes of 8th and 9th. I am hoping they don't dumb the game down too much, remove too much of the customization of each army/codex, or turn it into a sci-fi Age of Sigmar. Fingers crossed. 

Edited by Lagrath

10 minutes ago, Lagrath said:

It's so bizarre how GW constantly flips between polar extremes every edition and calls it progress.

"You can now use your models from different codexes together! Enjoy your whole collection!" "...Nevermind, people didn't like soup, now we're really restricting it again."

"We are making all guns and weapon profiles way more lethal in 9th edition to make every army and new codex more exciting!" "...Nevermind, that was too much, we are reducing lethality again."

"We heard you and now we are making codexes more rich, with more options and subfactions and flexibility than ever before!" "...Nevermind, too many people complained that rules are hard and having more options are bad, we are going back to dumbed-down faction rules." 

I have no interest in Age of 40k: Eat Crayons edition. Especially after 9th was such a hit and they seem to be backpedaling on a lot of the changes of 8th and 9th. I am hoping they don't dumb the game down too much, remove too much of the customization of each army/codex, or turn it into a sci-fi Age of Sigmar. Fingers crossed. 

Valrak theorized that this is preparing for the Amazon partnership expecting a flood of new interest.

10 minutes ago, Uberlord Gendo said:

One thing I didn't quite catch was what scale the factions were to be. I know they mentioned things like Ultramarines First Company. Did any of you catch that or did I misshear it?

What do you mean by the faction scale?

you mean army size?

they've plucked a few things more from aos, reaction mechanics on the other hand may be similar to hh

- battleshock

- stats built in weapons (WS, BS, S, and A dropped from the unit line itself) but did not go all the way to remove strength/toughness

- battleline role/keyword

There are many good announcements here, and I expected to be more disappointed than I am.

I think that what's going to happen is that Chapters will each get their own set of six strats while other subfactions will be represented by having a single rule that differentiates their subfactions. I suspect that the parity that other subfactions had with Marines in terms of subfaction identity will be compromised... But I have a bit of hope that other changes to the game might make that less of an issue than it might have been.

Combat patrol is interesting. I won't need it... But I think it's good for the game.

We knew that Crusade in some form would exist- I've been pretty cranky about it, but I knew something like it would survive. The fact that their may be a way to port an existing Crusade into the newer version gives me hope that enough of the old systems remain. I still don't know if it's going to work for me... But I am more hopeful than I was that it might.

Army building sounds so simple that I'll find it a bit dull; it sounded like he said you got one character as a warlord, u to six units of troops and no more than three units chosen from your remaining options. Smaller model count = cheaper buy in, but this seems really dull after the Narrative potential provided by the detachment system and mixed army builds. Not enough information to judge yet... But  there's capacity for disappointment here. Of course, it's also probably really easy to just houserule it back to its former glory if its as dull as it might be.

Psykers will be at once more boring and more interesting. Boring because the powers themselves will be incredibly common and shared by psykers of all factions; many of them will be specific abilities assigned to the datacard, so you won't get to personalize psykers as much as you do now. But at the same time, psychic powers will be happening during all the other phases, which will make it more interesting.

The good news is that I can dip my toes in 10th on day 1 for free- I really can't argue with that, and out of all the announcements, this was the most shocking and most profound. It is a seismic shift in the way the company thinks. Now I'm not naive enough to just believe that it's going to be all roses, because it never is. Last edition, the terrain rules weren't considered core rules, so when they touted  "Free Rules" they meant free basics that allow you to play something similar to a real game... But not enough to play a really real game. Ditto on detachments and the various "Ways to Play" rules.

49 minutes ago, ThePenitentOne said:

Army building sounds so simple that I'll find it a bit dull; it sounded like he said you got one character as a warlord, u to six units of troops and no more than three units chosen from your remaining options. Smaller model count = cheaper buy in, but this seems really dull after the Narrative potential provided by the detachment system and mixed army builds. Not enough information to judge yet... But  there's capacity for disappointment here. Of course, it's also probably really easy to just houserule it back to its former glory if its as dull as it might be.

No its simpler than that.. Warlord, and then you pick the units you like within the point cost (max 3 each, but battleline max 6 ).. at least thats how its written on the site... there is no troop, it seems roles are gone. And battleline isnt shown on the datasheet. <subfaction> also seems to be gone.

What I think happens is that each (sub)Faction is represented by a faction datasheet wich also includes further unit limitations, unit pointcosts and what unit is battleline (though if battleline only means that you can take twice the amount.)

For example (theoretical ;

Spoiler

the Craftworld eldar faction -
--- Eldrad                          150pt
--- Prince Yriel                   120pt

--- Autarch                        100pt
--- Farseer                           75pt
--- Farseer skyrunner         100pt
--- Guardians                     100pt         (battleline)
--- Rangers                          75pt         (battleline)
--- Dark reapers                 150pt
--- Windriders                      75pt
--- Shining spears               150pt
--- Wraithguard                  200pt

the Saimhann faction -

--- Farseer                           75pt
--- Farseer skyrunner           90pt
--- Guardians                     100pt           (battleline)
--- Rangers                          75pt
--- Dark reapers                 150pt
--- Windriders                      75pt           (battleline)
--- Shining spears               125pt
--- Wraithguard                  250pt

Prince Yriels eldritch raiders faction -
--- Prince Yriel                   100pt

--- Corsairs                        100pt             (battleline)
--- Rangers                          75pt             (battleline)
--- Dark reapers                 160pt
--- Windriders                      75pt
--- Shining spears               160pt
--- Wraithguard                  200pt

Basically there are no layers between faction and subfaction, and no complex rules exclusions and inclusions, because each faction datasheet is its own thing... Saimhann is not a subfaction to Craftworld eldar or an Aeldari faction, they are each on an equal footing, wich you can adjust with boons ( wich I indicated with the changes to battleline and pointcost.)

edit:

If it is like this, it makes it easier to give a strong identity to subfactions fomr GWs side, any time and without alot of complexity. However.. I dont see how mix-your-own survives in such a case.

However while Im thinking about it, I dont see how some of the bigger pointlists would fit one sheet, so Im probably wrong.

Edited by TheMawr

1 hour ago, Lagrath said:

It’s because they listen to the vocal minority, and there will always be people who whinge, no matter what you do, especially on the internet.

I'm really interested in how valuable Battle line units will be in regards to objectives and strategem use. Also if there's a first company subfaction list I'm interested to see what others types make it since it seems you are easily able to make Armoured Companies and other reserve companies quite easily and what boon they will be to those types of lists to make up for you not using battle line units.

So what was said on the twitch stream:

- indexes for everyone, day 1 everything available free

- new app... and it works

- morale phase is rolled into the command phase and you don't lose models, but gain debuffs (or as they said, units are reduced in effecitiveness)

- psychic phase is gone, all abilities are on the datasheets, they use their abilities in the phase it makes sense

- more rules on the datasheets, every unit has it's own weapon profiles, no more generic weapon profiles (as an example they brought up that the power fist of a character will have different stats from that of a sergeant's power fist)

- you will have 1 full spread page rules for your army, that you switch out according to your subfaction, everything else is on the datasheets

- warlord traits, relics, psyhcih powers and "other upgrades" still in the game

- list building sounds like AoO

- strats culled, some of them appear on unit datasheets, more generic strats, and 6 strats per army/subfaction

- they try to combat unit spamming with more untis giving bonuses and effects that were previously strats

- obsec gone, replaced with Objective Control (OC) which is basically the "counts as X models" rule

- lot more reactive abilities on datasheets

- AP is rarer, "generally lower", cover rules change, the game is "less lethal"

- "stratification of strength and toughness"

- there are vehicles with Toughness higher than 11

- toughness went up on many units, but weapon strength did not change substantially

- Boarding actions is 100% compatible with 10th edition

- Combat Patrol is now fixed army lists (the stuff you get in the boxes) with "aggressively balanced" rules, that are balanced against each other, differnet from Matched Play