Gravis Appreciation Thread

Go to solution Solved by Inquisitor_Lensoven,

I’ve made no secret of my love for gravis units, so why not have a thread for pro-gravis posts, and possibly constructive criticism on how GW could improve gravis units.

from model design and aesthetics to rules and game performance.

just had a game against BT, took gravis captain, aggressors, plasceptors, HIs.

they all performed pretty well, while I don’t think they’re costed properly, they really add a lot of staying power against armies that have their main firepower in the S3/4 range, soaking up those shots, and forcing the bigger guns to focus away from other units.

my SR survived until the very end, my venerable dread survived to T4, and my thunderstrike survived until T5 all because a lot of fire power and melee power had to be dedicated to removing the gravis units, and HIs sounding standard marines on 3s was great.

I personally am not the biggest fan of Gravis aesthetically, but I do decently like the newer ones where they've kind of blended a bit of normal MK X back in with it.

Of the Primaris designs, MK X Tacticus is my favorite, with MK X Phobos being above Gravis to me. The newer kits like heavy intercessors and the newer HQs, crossing a bit of normal MK X back in, are a significant iteration on its original design however.

I like the chunkyness they bring and i love that they are T5 instead of a better save.

The only things i dont like about them is the weird hoodie thing when its up like on the aggressors(put it down like on the heavy intercessors) and the weird placements of the guns on the boltstorm/flamestorm weapons.

But both of those things are pretty easy to work around. 

Again i like the rules they bring are different than just a better save. Armour can boost survivability in more ways than armoursave. 

The guns on the interceptors are cool and anything with 2 powerfists is always awesome!

I love the Gravis units.

The original Gravis Captain was flawed, and I don't particularly like the Inceptors, but the rest of the models have been great.

I own 10 Aggressors, 10 Heavy Intercessors, 5 Eradicators and 5 Inceptors, as well as all 3 of the Gravis Captain models.

They are really big and chunky and look great on the tabletop when playing 40k. I love that there is such a variety of Gravis, Phobos and Tacticus units.

I only currently have Aggressors and Eradicators for Gravis representation in my Ultramarines force. The aggressors have performed well for me the few times I used them.

I did want to add a squad of Inceptors and Heavy Intercessors but with the 10th box looming I don't think I'll squeeze them in :sweat:

It wasn't until the introduction of Heavy Intercessors (or as I like to call them, "HINTs") and the Gladiator that I actually bought into Primaris at all.  I still think the first-wave Gravis look a little funny with their beer guts and "I'm not falling forward, I promise" stance, but I can forgive them for their tabletop performance.  I've taken at least five Aggressors and 15 HINTs in every Iron Hands list I've run in 2023 and so far I've only lost one game out of about 12.  I appreciate the their durability -- especially with my Medusan shenanigans -- and, in particular, the literal punch of Aggies in melee.

2 hours ago, Triszin said:

I really like the gravis armor.

I'm just waiting for the gravis cqc units to come.

Well with aggressors already existing I wouldn’t hold your breath too much. 3/4 powerfist attacks isn’t bad in melee, only change is make to them is allow them to shoot in combat as well.

21 hours ago, Blindhamster said:

I like modern gravis a lot, aggressors are a bit iffy.

heavy intercessors are very cool, give me strong star craft marine vibes. Eradicators are similarly cool. I love the gravis captain 

I think the Heavy Intercessors and the Eradicators are some of my favourite Astartes models ever.

They just look great. Big, chunky, big weapons. There is a bit of a StarCraft vibe as you mention but they are still very much their own thing.

Really stand out on the tabletop. 

From a purely aesthetic point of view (as I do not field Primaris so far I am not that well positionned to have a game play opinion), Gravis are mostly fine.

In general the whole primaris range is quite a succesful design I think, and the gravis does not make exception.

Of course there are some fails, such as Desolation Marines or Supressor, but as this is touching to some personal criterias of appreciation of what looks good or bad, I will not epilogue further... many debates have led to the conclusion that consensus is not achievable.

Yet there are 2 or 3 things I do not like too much for gravis:

1. the way the Agressor looks with the puzzeling backback they have in the bolt configuration - not my cup of tea; I like better the flamer gauntlets´design 

2. the enclosed helmet option on the Inceptors - definitively too cartoony for me, even if the Inceptors are probably my favourites from the gravis dudes

2bis. the oversized plasma weapon of the very same Inceptors - same as above

Otherwise the whole range (all variants) is more than OK for me. 

Kind of thought he had a rotor cannon at first. That'd be quite a cool unit for Gravis now that I think about it, some heavy boys with rotor cannons. It'd be like wearing power armor with the minigun in fallout, could look really awesome.

• 2 weeks later...

I like Gravis suits that have belts. Not looking like they have potbellies is basically all I need for those models to look good to me.

Having to buy a box of HIs for every Aggressor unit I might want to run doesn't particularly engender any enthusiasm for the practicality of Aggressors in my collection, so for now I'm just skipping them (though I'm pondering some kind of conversion to turn Eradicators into flamestorm Aggressors).

i enjoy gravis too, the original gravis captain was a bit iffy, and the aggressors are a bit questionable, but I like the rest.

I personally think they can look decent without belts, but requires some reposing/converting.

Spoiler

20200711 111905

I am building 20 Heavy Intercessors

I love my rebased 18 Inceptors

I adore my 12 Eradicators

I disliked the Boltstorm Aggressors enough I bits parts from Inceptors and Terminators to convert them and still was never happy. The 6 Flamestorm Aggressors look forward to a day they are not gray. 

It’s the hood. It makes sense for the Inceptors but on the Aggressors it’s meh. It even makes sense on the Aggressors with frag launchers but it’s meh. 

Shame they didn’t do Bladeguard in Gravis armor. I would tie up every elite slot I had for that. 

24 minutes ago, Marshal Reinhard said:

Gave a couple swords... no boards though. That's another interesting proposal. But starting to stray into DIY territory now

image.thumb.jpeg.bf99a9dbb706e1256acd448a1f413f37.jpeg

Yeah, these and heavy intercessors and the melta guys are legit. 

Aggressors are gross though.