Gravis Appreciation Thread

Go to solution Solved by Inquisitor_Lensoven,

On 4/19/2023 at 7:15 AM, Brother Captain Arkley said:

I love Gravis. I am however a little soured on the Aggressor style bodies.

I am tempted to replace mine with Eradicator ones.

On 4/19/2023 at 11:12 AM, Arkangilos said:

Aggressors are the only ones I’m not a fan of.

Would you share the reasons? This seems common.

1 minute ago, bigtrouble said:

I feel personally they lack something...

Look at the Eradicators or Heavy Intercessors then look at the Aggressors.

I think the waist is a big part, there is also the big cowl. I get the cowl on the Inceptors given their role.

I am going to see how 10th deals with Aggressor Squads. If its 3+1, 2 or 3 extra I might do my Aggressors as 5 man squads using Heavy Intercessors for the base.

2 hours ago, bigtrouble said:

The arms. Namely the fists.

If they looked more like the cover of fourth edition Space Marine Codex Calgar I wouldn’t have as much a problem with the fists, but with the way they are it just looks hideous.

Edited by Arkangilos

Currently building a box of Eradicators and Heavy Intercessors. Having spent time recently building Bandai kits, I can honestly say the instructions and layout of the sprues are stupid. And I've never used Ultramarine transfers in over 30 years.

The figures (once cleaned and built) look good though... once you stop your head asking "who designed a helmet surround to restrict head movement :facepalm:

I found a head swap sorts the helmet issue. Presumably the Gravis head is supposed to be more armoured but honestly it never clicked for me.

Using Deathwing heads though, that does work. Well, at least if you're building Dark Angels.

20230424_123716.jpg

Edited by BitsHammer

I don’t mind Gravis aesthetics, it’s a nice mix to have among the different types of Primaris. Heavy Intercessors look cool but seem a tad redundant to me. I love Aggressors though. They are really fun to use in Battle Sector, with a hail of bolts just deleting gaunts.

I also love grenade launchers in most games, so the back mounted launchers of the Aggressors is endearing to me

• 2 weeks later...

I like the statblock for HINTs, the newer Gravis Captain and Aggressors. In 9th I've had some good success running the former, they've been very tough to kill. Absolutely need an Apothecary to babysit them though.

I dislike the lack of options in the units, especially for HINTs. No sergeant weapon options, like a power fist or sword, or optional parts apart from a couple arm choices. Very disappointing kit.

And I despise the building process for most Gravis kits, they're probably some of the least enjoyable infantry kits to assemble that GW's put out in the last 6 years.

I like the Gravis units. The first wave were a bit imperfect but the 9th edition ones look great. I think with the (alleged) reduction in lethality in 9th edition and also the increased viability of vehicles will both benefit Gravis. They will be harder to shift with anti infantry guns and will be a tougher choice for anti tank weapons.

gallery_82363_13858_616023.jpg

My only real complaint is the lack of melee weapon options on the Heavy Intercessors. But on the flip side, they do get a Heavy Bolter option which is generally in short supply among Primaris squads. I wonder if the Heavy Bolt Rifle profiles will be consolidated too. I like giving them a few chapter specific decorations too.

gallery_82363_15236_157203.jpg

Edited by Karhedron

4 hours ago, Karhedron said:

My only real complaint is the lack of melee weapon options on the Heavy Intercessors. But on the flip side, they do get a Heavy Bolter option which is generally in short supply among Primaris squads. I wonder if the Heavy Bolt Rifle profiles will be consolidated too.

It's funny, I like Heavy Intercessors in concept, but I haven't liked their rules. For a unit armored for zones mortalis, they have very long range weapons. They should have better melee options.

23 minutes ago, Blindhamster said:

They mentioned gravis is getting tougher, I wonder how, I can’t see them buffing the toughness stat honestly. Thoughts?

I could see them going to T6, or perhaps having a -1 AP or perhaps even damage built in.

5 hours ago, jaxom said:

It's funny, I like Heavy Intercessors in concept, but I haven't liked their rules. For a unit armored for zones mortalis, they have very long range weapons. They should have better melee options.

Agreed. I actually think Aggressors work much better in ZM.

4 hours ago, Blindhamster said:

They mentioned gravis is getting tougher, I wonder how, I can’t see them buffing the toughness stat honestly. Thoughts?

I took that to be referring to existing buff to T5 that Gravis units get over their regular PA-equipped brethren. I am not expect Gravis or Centurions to get even tougher (of course I could be wrong).

Edited by Karhedron

8 minutes ago, Blindhamster said:

why say “now have” if nothing has changed? Though you’re probably right

Yeah, their meaning is not particularly clear is it. Well, I have several Gravis units as well as some ETB Aggressors in my pile of shame so I certainly won't complain if they go up to T6. We should know in about 6 weeks.

On 5/6/2023 at 5:39 AM, Karhedron said:

I like the Gravis units. The first wave were a bit imperfect but the 9th edition ones look great. I think with the (alleged) reduction in lethality in 9th edition and also the increased viability of vehicles will both benefit Gravis. They will be harder to shift with anti infantry guns and will be a tougher choice for anti tank weapons.

gallery_82363_13858_616023.jpg

My only real complaint is the lack of melee weapon options on the Heavy Intercessors. But on the flip side, they do get a Heavy Bolter option which is generally in short supply among Primaris squads. I wonder if the Heavy Bolt Rifle profiles will be consolidated too. I like giving them a few chapter specific decorations too.

gallery_82363_15236_157203.jpg

HIs arent supposed to be fighting so a melee weapon would really cut their damage output in the role they’re supposed to be in. 

I'm about to build some Eradicators but I'm currently torn between which weapons to give.

On one hand, they can move in close a bit quicker, and the other hit harder when they get there.

Then there's the question of 'to multi melta, or not to multi melta'.

And lastly... will there be a difference between the two weapons in 10th, or will they have both profiles like they're doing with bolt rifles :confused: 

8 hours ago, Forté said:

I'm about to build some Eradicators but I'm currently torn between which weapons to give.

It is a tough call. I play Wolves so I opted for heavy rifles as we have a stratagem to ignore penalties (including for moving and firing). That won't exist in 10th as Heavy weapons work differently. There is still the Devastator Doctrine for Advance and shoot. Until we get more info on 10th, it is hard to judge.

For what it is worth, 10th edition will allegedly be less lethal so the extra killing power of the heavy rifle will probably be a good choice. Same with the Multimelta, extra shots are always going to be welcome. 

2 hours ago, Karhedron said:

For what it is worth, 10th edition will allegedly be less lethal so the extra killing power of the heavy rifle will probably be a good choice. Same with the Multimelta, extra shots are always going to be welcome. 

Good point. Though the WHC post about weapon types had the Melta Rifle listed as heavy and only 18" range. Might be that the assault option is going, which would be odd.

On 4/3/2023 at 3:33 AM, Orange Knight said:

I think the Heavy Intercessors and the Eradicators are some of my favourite Astartes models ever.

Completely agree.  I've never been a huge fan of the Inceptors, but I love the Heavy Intercessors and Eradicators, and like the Aggressors just fine.  If GW would release some more units similar to HINTs and Eradicators with different weapons (Missiles, Lascannons, Plasmas, etc.) I'd be all over that.  I'd make a whole army out of this kind of Gravis.

image.thumb.jpeg.e58abe579f5ba4922959602706091c26.jpeg

image.jpeg.e79a1df63b3879bdf61fb73af62c9c34.jpeg

Edited by Valerian

On 5/8/2023 at 11:38 AM, BitsHammer said:

My only complaint about the Aggressors is that both load-outs should have Fragstorm grenade launchers.

They do that to even the options out. 

total possible shot 18, with 12 auto-hitting would be a no brainer on which option is better. Especially now it looks like flamers are going up in S.

On 5/8/2023 at 8:16 PM, Valerian said:

Completely agree.  I've never been a huge fan of the Inceptors, but I love the Heavy Intercessors and Eradicators, and like the Aggressors just fine.  If GW would release some more units similar to HINTs and Eradicators with different weapons (Missiles, Lascannons, Plasmas, etc.) I'd be all over that.  I'd make a whole army out of this kind of Gravis.

image.thumb.jpeg.e58abe579f5ba4922959602706091c26.jpeg

image.jpeg.e79a1df63b3879bdf61fb73af62c9c34.jpeg

I’d absolutely love a gravis hellblaster squad.