Gravis Appreciation Thread

Go to solution Solved by Inquisitor_Lensoven,

Expect to see IH players taking at least one unit of HINTs, and potentially a big one.  Feirros can attach to them, provides a Sustained Hits 2 heavy bolter, some melee punch, and a 5+ FNP -- and that last is going to make shifting them off an objective extremely difficult.

On 6/22/2023 at 10:15 PM, Iron Father Ferrum said:

Expect to see IH players taking at least one unit of HINTs, and potentially a big one.  Feirros can attach to them, provides a Sustained Hits 2 heavy bolter, some melee punch, and a 5+ FNP -- and that last is going to make shifting them off an objective extremely difficult.

Yeah, that sounds rough, but combining HIs with a few vehicles will require the enemy to really consider what they want to use their heaviest firepower against.

Quick question.

krak weapons are damage d3 so does that alone remove the +1 to save for HIs or do HIs still get that +1 if the roll ends up as a 1?

On 6/23/2023 at 7:07 AM, Tacitus said:

D D3 is not D1, and you roll damage after the armor save so I'd say yeah.  

That’s a good point lol

I think HIs may become a premier home objective holders.

they’ll require serious firepower to shift, if they’re babysitting an objective they’re hitting on 2s, combined with a leader with bolter discipline and they’re also getting sustained hits.

I think there's two/three contenders we've been talking about in the Combos thread.

HINTS are tied for first.

with

Scout Sniper Squads (and/or a Phobos Libby + 3 Eliminators)

Just depends on if you want to go Durability (I don't care if you shoot me) or evasiveness (You literally can't shoot me. and even if you get close enough to try, -1 to hit). 

8 hours ago, Orange Knight said:

Gravis Unit with large shields and swords would be fantastic I think.

Give me tower shields and spears.  Call them Phalanx Squads.  -1 to wound and the Lance ability on turns they charge.

2 hours ago, Iron Father Ferrum said:

Give me tower shields and spears.  Call them Phalanx Squads.  -1 to wound and the Lance ability on turns they charge.

Sounds cool, but I'd hate to have to repair the spears every third game because one snapped off.

10 hours ago, Iron Father Ferrum said:

Yes! I would love this.

It would really fit the Imperial Fists also. Large, tall shields - not storm shields.

Some sort of Greatsword blade, with rules as you mention.

A unit that would advance implacably and cleave down the enemies of the Emperor.

31 minutes ago, Minsc said:

Sounds like someone wants to play Custodes without actually playing Custodes. ;)

If not for the breakage and my experience with thin spiky bits like the BGV halos, and Infiltrator/incursor antenna things, I'd love to do Spear and Scutum to go well with the Roman/Ultramarine theme. But I know spears would be a nightmare for breakage. 

Gravis Inceptors armed with Thunder Hammer and Storm Shields or Twin Lightning Claws is only way I can see not to step on the toes of Blade Guard, Assault Intercessors or Aggressors 

5 hours ago, Tacitus said:

If not for the breakage and my experience with thin spiky bits like the BGV halos, and Infiltrator/incursor antenna things, I'd love to do Spear and Scutum to go well with the Roman/Ultramarine theme. But I know spears would be a nightmare for breakage. 

I have a Libby and VGV sgt with tridents and have had no issues

3 hours ago, Dracos said:

Gravis Inceptors armed with Thunder Hammer and Storm Shields or Twin Lightning Claws is only way I can see not to step on the toes of Blade Guard, Assault Intercessors or Aggressors 

For most of those I strongly disagree.

assault intercessors are best against low T low W poor save chaff.

BGV would have better movement and more transportation options.

aggressors balance fire power and melee.

shield spear gravis infantry would likely just have heavy bolt pistols at best, be slow moving with fewer transport options, trade shooting for more durability, and specialize in killing MEQ and elite infantry. Maybe their spears can enable a third row to fight due to their reach.

melee inceptors would step on the toes of VGV, DC, and SG.

in 10th design methods spears could look like this

Astartes Spear(lance, extended reach.) A1 S6 AP-2 D2

extended reach-models armed with this weapon can fight during the fight phase as long as they’re in base to base contact with a friendly model in combat and within 2” of an enemy unit

Edited by Inquisitor_Lensoven

8 hours ago, Dracos said:

But it would heavily step on the toes of Assault Terminators, and partially on the Blade Guard.   You're pretty much looking at fast, non-invuln, low to no shooting with few massive attacks or massive small attacks.  Think giving them a two handed Seismic Hammer from the Ironclad 2A WS 4+ S14, -4 D6+2 for example.   The Ginsu Blade option is tougher because Lightning Claws themselves are (still) bad and need more A. 

5 hours ago, Tacitus said:

But it would heavily step on the toes of Assault Terminators, and partially on the Blade Guard.   You're pretty much looking at fast, non-invuln, low to no shooting with few massive attacks or massive small attacks.  Think giving them a two handed Seismic Hammer from the Ironclad 2A WS 4+ S14, -4 D6+2 for example.   The Ginsu Blade option is tougher because Lightning Claws themselves are (still) bad and need more A. 

Claws are fine on assault terminators. They have 1 less damage potential than the hammers, but are more accurate and better against 1w infantry, which is literally the point of them.

honestly. 8 don’t think we will see a gravis melee unit other than the aggressors now, at most we may see stuff like heavy intercessor sergeants get access to a melee weapon at some point

1 hour ago, Blindhamster said:

Claws are fine on assault terminators. They have 1 less damage potential than the hammers, but are more accurate and better against 1w infantry, which is literally the point of them.

honestly. 8 don’t think we will see a gravis melee unit other than the aggressors now, at most we may see stuff like heavy intercessor sergeants get access to a melee weapon at some point

Not just the 1W guardsman, there's also there for the 2W Marines.  Thunderhammers are for Terminators/Gravis, vehicles and so on.  The Claws are for the basic troops.  They don't do enough vs Marines.  I'm not sure they do enough vs Hormaguants, boys and the like either. 

• Solution
4 minutes ago, Markov Gheist said:

So how are you planning to field our new gravis apothecary boy? His special rule requires his unit to kill something in melee, so aggressors seem the way to go. 

Yep that’s how I’m planning to run him, in combination with a gravis captain 

Edited by Inquisitor_Lensoven

5 hours ago, Markov Gheist said:

So how are you planning to field our new gravis apothecary boy? His special rule requires his unit to kill something in melee, so aggressors seem the way to go. 

I see him as just a Lt in white armor. Slap him in a 10 man HINT unit on objectives. Assault, heavy, and lethal hits? EZ choice though

8 hours ago, Markov Gheist said:

Mostly I'm not.  Aggressors took a hit with TL on the guns costing them half their shots.  Terminators are getting a boost what with a new model kit to sell and all.  I keep trying to put Aggressors back in, but I run out of room before I get to them.   The ones who do run him will likely just use him as a glorified lieutenant. force multiplier on Tank Hunting Eradicators, or a 10 man, 2HB HINT squad going BRRRRT like an A-10. 

His special is just completely out of sync.  The units he can join are extremely unlikely to get it for him, plus they're very unlikely to need it.    10 HINTS are OC 20.   6 ERADS are OC6, but you're not taking them for OC, and if they're guarding an objective you're either way ahead or way behind so OC doesn't matter.

Edited by Tacitus