Space wolves in 10th edition

yan

14 hours ago, Triszin said:

The storm wolf.

(Maybe it'll actually be decent)

In my experience it is decent, not by its rules of course, but as most of time no one is using it, when it appears on the battlefield it is always a surprise for the oponent.... A kind of secret unwritten special rule called "guess what, I use a stormwolf"... 

Joke apart, I wonder if the wolfguard leader in squads will remain, such as the terminator with assault canon in a LF squad.... I am afraid it might be phased out. 

Same with Swift claws, how will they be affected?

But the real trick is how will GH and BC migrate to Primaris range - this is for me the most expected evolution to come, even if not at 10th release but probably some months years after...

9 hours ago, Bouargh said:

I wonder if the wolfguard leader in squads will remain, such as the terminator with assault canon in a LF squad.... I am afraid it might be phased out. 

Same with Swift claws, how will they be affected?

But the real trick is how will GH and BC migrate to Primaris range - this is for me the most expected evolution to come, even if not at 10th release but probably some months years after...

Based on what we've seen about characters joining squads, I suspect we'll see that WG get treated as such.  

GH and BCs migrating to Primaris is a real question- BCs have been one of my favorite units since 4th, and I'd really like to see how they get translated.  My suspicion is that we'll see SW Assault Intercessors get a special rule to reflect that they are Blood Claws.  But what that will be I have no idea.  GHs would be Intercessors and Heavy Intercessors, I assume.  The "heavy" rule on bolt rifles feels to me like a GH thing- sit still and let your quarry come to you...

Today's WarCom article makes me look really hard at pulling my LRC out of storage and polishing it up a bit, for sure.  10 man BC pack, WGPL and an attached character could do some real damage in this edition again.

I really want to see more interaction between Primaris marines and the Canis Helix.  Not just Primaris Wulfen (although that'd be something to see), but introducing distinctions like Blood Claw, Grey Hunter, and Long Fang as keywords or faction rules on certain Primaris units to show how they're moving along the traditional SW path of development.

19 hours ago, TiguriusX said:

I am very curious how dreadnoughts will work in 10th.

It seems vehicles are going to be resurgent in the meta.

I love SW dreads and hope they are worth taking again

I keep hoping this as well. The SW Wolves are the most characterful in the game. I'd also love to see an upgrade to  Murderfang/Bjorn though it's not absolutely necessary. As we've seen with Terminators, there is some love for those classic, iconic units.

I'm really looking forward to a terminator force as well. They seem a lot more hardy, and if Wolves keep their specific termie options, it'll be a really decent choice for probably the first 3 months of 10th.

Loving the going back to character lead squads. I was so sick of aura management (On both sides of the table.)

On 4/19/2023 at 2:17 PM, KiltedMarine said:

Not just Primaris Wulfen (although that'd be something to see),

The current version of Wulfen were released in 2016, and we got the first Primaris Marines in 2017.  The scale of the Wulfen, in my opinion, was obviously intended to match the scale of the new range of Space Marine models that they were moving toward for all ranges.  Which is just my way of saying, we've already got Primaris Wulfen, although GW has never said it like that.

On 4/19/2023 at 11:17 AM, KiltedMarine said:

Not just Primaris Wulfen (although that'd be something to see)

Not unlike the Terminator which can be Firstborn or Primaris, the horrible mutation the Space Wolf undergoes becoming a Wulfen can happen to Primaris or Firstborn alike. And seriously how can you tell what they were before they mutation, once their armour is stripped away and they are re-equipped with wulfen-issue armour and arms?

Edited by Wispy

Gw stated, they rescaled wulfen to be primaris size. Around the time of primaris launch.

For that I am thankful.

Now I would like proper deathsworn (hounds of morkai) kit, not this upgrade to reivers.

I would like new fenrisian wolves. (They've always been giant in the lore) I borderline would want them almost the size of current thunderwolves.

Thunderwolves. Oddly, joytoy has better proportions I think. If they are to exist, they need to be bigger bulkier, look like they can actually carry a marine.

I would love for a new kit, and a build option to have the marine running next to them.

Varagyr (wolf guard): rename them to the hh era naming. New kit.

Somehow if possible, remove the LT /wgbl cap so we can take as many as we want, so long as we attach them to squads.

Frost weapons.

On a nat 6 , trigger hazardous on the model we attack. 

To start with

28 minutes ago, Triszin said:

Gw stated, they rescaled wulfen to be primaris size. Around the time of primaris launch.

For that I am thankful.

Now I would like proper deathsworn (hounds of morkai) kit, not this upgrade to reivers.

I would like new fenrisian wolves. (They've always been giant in the lore) I borderline would want them almost the size of current thunderwolves.

Thunderwolves. Oddly, joytoy has better proportions I think. If they are to exist, they need to be bigger bulkier, look like they can actually carry a marine.

I would love for a new kit, and a build option to have the marine running next to them.

Varagyr (wolf guard): rename them to the hh era naming. New kit.

Somehow if possible, remove the LT /wgbl cap so we can take as many as we want, so long as we attach them to squads.

Frost weapons.

On a nat 6 , trigger hazardous on the model we attack. 

To start with

I don't know if I'm onboard on the TWC. They can be awkward to move already on our current tables, and I like to think the bionics and mystic nature of the beasts make up for their lack of volume in size. But to be honest, I remember I had a brief stint with Wolves when I had to buy third party TWC, and when GW first came out  with these I was really happy. Now I look at them and really don't like the scuplts.

I did not know the Wulfen were resized for the introduction of Primaris. When did that happen? When they first transitioned from metal to plastic?

I just look at all the nuances of the codex, and as someone who plays Chaos Space Marines, I watched a lot of it get torn away. This is what I really don't want to happen to marine chapters, and Wolves have a lot of those nuances they could potentially lose. 

Stuff like the Termies are a great example. Super flexible, and the 'wolvy' weaponry... Chaos lost it all. It all got swept into a category called "Malific weapons" which really sucked. So using that as an example, I am somewhat afraid "simplifying' means doing similar things to all the cool little things Wolves have.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

One other thing I've been wondering. Would it be worth buying Wolves flyer? (The transport version)?

I've been wondering this for a while now, but don't know if we could truly put Primaris in one, or if it can come in turn 1 (in 10th ed). These are risks I am weighing the benefit of trying. I don't think the flyer is at all usable right now in competitive play, BUT assault ramp + flyer + any combination of units inside could be a lot of fun in 10th.

This is how I'm looking at that flyer in 10th: If it can come in T1, but has to stay 'zooming' in T1, but can unload cargo for assault in T2, that would be good. If it could come in T1, and be allowed to disembark from the assault ramp, that would be better. 

Right now the Flyer is on store shelves, but it would be different I think if it became usable in this way. I think it would disappear off the shelves pretty quickly.

There was a interview after primaris launch where they said before they released the wulfen in plastic, they rescaled them to be inline with primaris.

So we technically had the first primaris kit. XD

Ya, wolf flyer might be worth it now.

A flying land raider! But it still depends on the pts cost

Edited by Triszin

Looks like the transfer sheet with the Blackmanes/Drakeslayers/Company of the Great Wolf is no longer available. A shame, as that is a nice decal sheet.

Hopefully this means in 10E a new Space Wolves transfer sheet with more than one Great Company, a bit of a shame to me that the current one in our kits only has Ragnar Blackmane's Great Company.

Edited by WrathOfTheLion

Looks like my guess was wrong, WarCom confirmed today that SW/BA/DA will get their own unique detachments during launch but gladius looks super strong.

* Several other famously less conventional Chapters – including the likes of the Space Wolves, Blood Angels, and Dark Angels – will get their own unique Detachment rules. You’ll be able to choose which ones to use as you compose your army list.

Maybe they will try to balance the extra units those chapters have by letting you use them only in their special detachments and not in gladious ( so don't get excited with advance and charge wulfen and thunderwolves just yet :P)

Edited by lonewolf81

2 minutes ago, Prot said:

Let’s hope, but there is a lot of ground to cover if you include all the (filthy) Xenos!

what I’m super curious about is the Sternguard…. Who will be able to use them? Homestly I think they could fit with Wolves. 

They could, I'm interested to see what the index books look like. For Dark Angels, it looks like they've included Deathwing decals for them, but I'm hesitant to pull the trigger there or for my Wolfspear until we at least see the Dark Angels codex.

I agree but that codex I believe is out around fall 2024?  I’m personally splitting a box with a friend so I’m really hopeful. Though the flamer squad doesn’t really appeal 

5 minutes ago, Prot said:

I agree but that codex I believe is out around fall 2024?  I’m personally splitting a box with a friend so I’m really hopeful. Though the flamer squad doesn’t really appeal 

The Dark Angels codex should be in Spring 2024, so we should get a decent idea then of what a divergent Space Marine Codex looks like.

I've finally got a few extra minutes to comment on today's Space Marine faction-focus.  My impression is that it's pretty dang spicy.  We have no idea yet what our bespoke Detachment for Space Wolves is going to look like, but even if we just go with the default Gladius Task Force, man, that looks awesome to me (knowing nothing, of course, about what anything else in the game will look like, outside of a few Tyranid leaks from the Studio).

I'm just picturing this:

Turn 1 - Oath of Moment on a central enemy unit, one that looks like it'll be in range of several of your own units.  Initiate Devastator Doctrine - the entire Space Wolves force can Move, Advance, and Shoot.  Get into position rapidly, start capping Objectives, delete at least that one unit that you focused on.

Turn 2 - Oath of Moment a critical enemy unit that's going to be in assault range of at least one of your dedicated melee units.  Initiate Assault Doctrine - the entire Space Wolves force can Move, Advance, and Charge!  (Holy Hell!).  Delete that one unit that you targeted with OoM, and start seizing Objectives that had been held by enemy units.  By this point, you've pretty much covered all of the key terrain on the table.

Turn 3 - Oath of Moment yet another critical enemy unit.  Initiate Tactical Doctrine - all units locked in Melee now Fall Back, Shoot whichever units are a priority, then Charge right back into Melee (gaining whatever advantages there are in 10e from initiating an Assault, once more).

That's just insane to think that this will be pretty much the default way to play for Space Marines, including Space Wolves, unless our Detachment rules happen to be even better.  

But wait, there's more!  All of Roboute Guilliman's, er, Robert GuLemanruss' abilities in 10e are tied to the [ADEPTUS ASTARTES] and not the [ULTRAMARINES] keyword, like they were in 9e.  So, our Space Wolves can provide him a suitable bodyguard, and can benefit from any of his 3 'Author of the Codex' special abilities. 

In 10e, everyone starts with 0 Command Points, and gains one at each Command Phase, for a total of 10 per game.  With Guilliman's Supreme Strategist ability, you can get another 10-20 Command Points worth of free Stratagems throughout the game.  That's crazy.

With a simple proxy, Guilliman can serve as a Russ, until we get the real Russ one day.

Leman Russ, Primarch of the Space Wolves : r/SpaceWolves