Sicarian Venator and cerebus heavy tank destroyer.

3 hours ago, Cleon said:

I know it's probably a game balance thing or to re-use the weapon option sprue, but having a dedicated Anti tank variant of the Spartan and dropping the sponson down from a quad lascannon to a single gun looks pretty goofy to me. I may end up getting this anyway if my (intended to be small) Emperors Children force feels like it needs a cool centrepiece tank, but I'd be more excited about it if it at least kept the twinlascannon of the normal Land Raider sprue as is I'd have to not use the lascannons, it makes more sense it has small sponsons if they are defensive weapons.

I know what you mean. I don't play HH but in 40K terms, the Spartan has almost as much anti-tank firepower as the Cerberus when it is stationary. One the move, the Spartan pulls ahead and comes with the chonky great passenger compartment.

40 minutes ago, Majkhel said:

Do I see sculpted Eye of Horus on it? Would that be Legion specific vehicle upgrade sprues incoming?

There's Eye of Horus and Imperial Aquila on the base spartan sprue, it's there as a faction rather than Legion specific symbol that just works really well for the Sons themselves.

Feels like the actual reveal model wasn't ready, or they shuffled it down later to cover other gaps. We suspected the Cerberus was getting a plastic model since the rules have volkite sponsons, it was all but confirmed with the Typhon and it was confirmed by the teaser. Showing it at LVO is underhwelming, especially next to range of aos and 40k stuff. 

3 hours ago, WrathOfTheLion said:

Apparently there was a ton to say about the AoS skirmish boxes. I thought they'd never stop talking.

I put them on mute after a bit but this I can understand, the fantasy stuff was just more interesting.   Only arbites were worth talking about from the sci fi side of things.

I actually like the cerberus design but there's nothing to say about it. We're all just waiting for some new marines for this marines vs marines game they want to sell us.

It does feel like an odd choice for a preview show rather than a thursday, something they already essentially announced and that verrrry few people would be excited for, y'know, its not updated or anything, just the same tank in a better material, more widely available.

3 hours ago, Mandragola said:

Shame they went for this already-revealed-reveal after bigging up the LVO preview. And yes, we all want to see troops instead of yet another tank that most people don't need, but it's still kind of nice to see this one.

Yeah, It is odd isn't it? We're getting plastic Heresy stuff on a monthly basis so it feels a bit petty to be annoyed at what we are getting but, at the same time...

8 minutes ago, Astartes Consul said:

Yeah, It is odd isn't it? We're getting plastic Heresy stuff on a monthly basis so it feels a bit petty to be annoyed at what we are getting but, at the same time...

I think it's because it's not a surprise to us as we know what's coming when it disappears from the FW store, and with it just being plastic versions of resin models they're not really new either. There are new options, don't get me wrong I like the different turret options for the Predator, but it's the same old unit we've had for a while just easier to make and more accessible (when it's not sold out that is).

Exactly, i think the novelty is wearing off if that makes sense? Like... Plastic Spartan is mega cool, but 6-7 kits down the line its just more tanks (and i love tanks) we already had, nothing really new and people are starting to feel the lack of troops choices or melee options in the system, or some of the new units added to the game, or really anything but more tanks... 

Certainly felt like the Jetbikes were more enthusiastically received!  

People will always find a unit they wish had been made plastic instead.

As soon as Despoilers and Assault Marines get released, the threads will become a chorus of "Who the hell uses Despoilers this edition? Stupid GW should be making Javelins plastic NOW!" instead.

5 hours ago, Noserenda said:

Exactly, i think the novelty is wearing off if that makes sense? Like... Plastic Spartan is mega cool, but 6-7 kits down the line its just more tanks (and i love tanks) we already had, nothing really new and people are starting to feel the lack of troops choices or melee options in the system, or some of the new units added to the game, or really anything but more tanks...

warhammer: the tank heresy

5 hours ago, Lord Marshal said:

People will always find a unit they wish had been made plastic instead.

As soon as Despoilers and Assault Marines get released, the threads will become a chorus of "Who the hell uses Despoilers this edition? Stupid GW should be making Javelins plastic NOW!" instead.

While that's true to an extent, rarely are people both so unified, and correct in their demands.

7 hours ago, Noserenda said:

While that's true to an extent, rarely are people both so unified, and correct in their demands.

Despoilers/Assaults are going to be nice to have and are obviously going to happen at some point. 

If we had the suite of infantry in plastic right now, people would be complaining there's too few affordable (AKA plastic) vehicles and that the gateway to entry is too high. If we had vehicles and Despoilers, people would replace their anecdotal "10,000 friends refusing to start 30k with Blood Angels until we have plastic melee arms" with "10,000 friends who want to start 30k with White Scars refusing until we have plastic jetbikes" instead.

Maybe it's because I play Solar Auxilia and have no horse in this race, but compared to under a year ago when people were insisting 30k was dead and buried after the Ka'banda reveal it's at least a little surprising how impatient people are being about this stuff, especially when GW being slow with waves for other systems isn't unusual.

Those people wanting Despoilers first are incorrect though, clearly we need MKII Breachers first. Because reasons.

Edited by Lord Marshal

22 hours ago, Karhedron said:

I know what you mean. I don't play HH but in 40K terms, the Spartan has almost as much anti-tank firepower as the Cerberus when it is stationary. One the move, the Spartan pulls ahead and comes with the chonky great passenger compartment.

With the spartan you get 4 shots at ~36" and a reasonable chance to pen - the cerberus gets 4 shots at 72" (?) with the neutron, which are all higher S ordnance, then you get the lascannons also. Shock pulse on top is the cherry on the cake, and stands a good chance of shutting down what it doesn't kill. 

11 hours ago, MegaVolt87 said:

Not possible at 3k. Two of these are 835 pts, 3k LOW cap is 750pts, 25 percent rule. 

:thumbsup: My mistake there, I know you can take one at 2k, but didnt have the exact points on me. 

10 minutes ago, Xenith said:

With the spartan you get 4 shots at ~36" and a reasonable chance to pen - the cerberus gets 4 shots at 72" (?) with the neutron, which are all higher S ordnance, then you get the lascannons also. Shock pulse on top is the cherry on the cake, and stands a good chance of shutting down what it doesn't kill. 

As I say, I am only comparing 40K stats but Spartan has 2 quad lascannons so that is 8 shots at 48". 

13 hours ago, Lord Marshal said:

Despoilers/Assaults are going to be nice to have and are obviously going to happen at some point. 

If we had the suite of infantry in plastic right now, people would be complaining there's too few affordable (AKA plastic) vehicles and that the gateway to entry is too high. If we had vehicles and Despoilers, people would replace their anecdotal "10,000 friends refusing to start 30k with Blood Angels until we have plastic melee arms" with "10,000 friends who want to start 30k with White Scars refusing until we have plastic jetbikes" instead.

Maybe it's because I play Solar Auxilia and have no horse in this race, but compared to under a year ago when people were insisting 30k was dead and buried after the Ka'banda reveal it's at least a little surprising how impatient people are being about this stuff, especially when GW being slow with waves for other systems isn't unusual.

Those people wanting Despoilers first are incorrect though, clearly we need MKII Breachers first. Because reasons.

I will weigh in on this. I do see what you mean, but I don't agree.

For one thing, it seems to me that they could produce some of the infantry kits we need far more easily than some of these tanks. Despoilers and breachers would only need to be a sprue each, for example, like the special/heavy weapon sets we already have. Each of these vehicles is multiple sprues. Assault marines would need to be a new kit if done properly but even then a lot of the CAD work would be available to reuse.

Then there's the impact they would have. You're probably right that we'll get these things in the end. That means you'd be a bit mad to pay many times their price for resin models, especially if (as I do) you prefer the look of the new MK6. So what do you do? Nothing. You don't start building that Night Lord assault squad-based army because you can't buy the core troop choice you want. Instead you keep hoping each preview or Thursday is going to bring the news that you can get started, while becoming increasingly frustrated to see a parade of tanks you don't even want.

What I actually think has happened is that they've done the design work for all the tanks already. The sprues are cleverly designed to allow loads of things like the rhino or land raider sprues to be re-used across a whole range of vehicles. So I think they're essentially drip-feeding us work that's been done for a while. If that's right then producing our missing troops would actually require work, while this doesn't, so much. But even then it's still somewhat odd to release fairly niche things like the Leviathan and jetbikes - lovely though they are - ahead of the troops.

Edited by Mandragola

Yeah the demand for affordable troops choices is always going to be higher than any other slot, because everyone uses troops but stuff like multiple Lords of War is always going to be less common overall, and theres no need for that to be anecdotal evidence, beyond it being blindingly obvious its plastered over every post FW makes on Facebook to a degree ive not seen since the organised campaign to get 40k rules for custodes stuff and in this case, unless i missed it, its genuine fan asks/complaints without any organisation behind it whatsoever.

Unfortunately for FW i dont think everyone is waiting, when you have 3d printing and a wealth of other games to play, if FW isnt meeting your needs the money just goes elsewhere.

Welp next two weeks will be the traitor assassin and the consul Librarian, think about what's left vehicle wise like vindicators, xiphon, and the other two flyers, Landspeeders and Bikers they really gotta get to the infantry kits sooner than later. I don't imagine the flyers will release before things like assualt marines and despoilers and recon or breachers but I can imagine they'll still spread it out as long as they can. Oh yeah and the Deredeo.

2 hours ago, Mandragola said:

I will weigh in on this. I do see what you mean, but I don't agree.

For one thing, it seems to me that they could produce some of the infantry kits we need far more easily than some of these tanks. Despoilers and breachers would only need to be a sprue each, for example, like the special/heavy weapon sets we already have. Each of these vehicles is multiple sprues. Assault marines would need to be a new kit if done properly but even then a lot of the CAD work would be available to reuse.

Then there's the impact they would have. You're probably right that we'll get these things in the end. That means you'd be a bit mad to pay many times their price for resin models, especially if (as I do) you prefer the look of the new MK6. So what do you do? Nothing. You don't start building that Night Lord assault squad-based army because you can't buy the core troop choice you want. Instead you keep hoping each preview or Thursday is going to bring the news that you can get started, while becoming increasingly frustrated to see a parade of tanks you don't even want.

What I actually think has happened is that they've done the design work for all the tanks already. The sprues are cleverly designed to allow loads of things like the rhino or land raider sprues to be re-used across a whole range of vehicles. So I think they're essentially drip-feeding us work that's been done for a while. If that's right then producing our missing troops would actually require work, while this doesn't, so much. But even then it's still somewhat odd to release fairly niche things like the Leviathan and jetbikes - lovely though they are - ahead of the troops.

There's a few people that show up in the news and rumor threads for 30k just to counter-complain the vehicle focus release. Theres no honest examination of list building and the impact missing core units have; I had someone tell me in the another thread that having to spend £121 on a resin Typhon was more discouraging to list building and investment morale than £169 for 20 resin despoilers. 

The vehicles were definitely easy to mass produce off the rhino and land Raider hulls. But similarly they could have had a few infantry kits based off the same core, like assaults/destroyers/despoilers, vets/seekers. They obviously did something like that for jetbikes and the telegraphed javelin and Proteus kits.

Edit: it was actually the new year preview thread, for the Cerberus, and the person who made that ridiculous claim was in fact the one you were replying to lol

Edited by SkimaskMohawk

I've definitely sidelined a project or two for lack of Despoiler models. I feel like certain legions are just alot better off with Despoilers over Tactical marines and really wish they were available on release. For example I started a Blood Angels force after painting up some terminators and consuls I started up on a ten man tactical squad and the closer I got to finishing it the more I kept asking myself why I was doing it when I would definitely be replacing them in the future and they'd likely never see more than a game or two while I waited for Despoilers to come out. 

Breachers and Recon and Assault are nice but alot easier to go without since they are more specialized but when you think of the two main archetypes of army, shooting and close combat you really want your core troops to reflect that armies strength and so I'm working on my second Ultramarines army rather than the Blood Angels I was stoked to do originally.